Page 203 of 335 FirstFirst ... 103153193199200201202203204205206207213253303 ... LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,075 of 8375
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher never should have been spotted that high. But then there was a vacuum up top and someone had to go there. He's going top 10 regardless because some owner and the owner's son is going to yell at their GM.

The supposed lottery-grade SFs:

Risacher
    Holland
    Williams
    Buzelis

None of them feel particularly great. I feel the most about Buzelis. Williams is sorta okay but, really, I'd take a look at Kyshawn George. He might start moving up once workouts happen. He's a bit raw, but has the ball-handling, shooting, and potential defense you want. Right now I think he's tail end of the lottery with movement still going on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this draft in the first round is going to be very unpredictable and people are going to be shocked who gets drafted where...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this draft in the first round is going to be very unpredictable and people are going to be shocked who gets drafted where...
    I think that’s impossible, because there isn’t even a consensus #1, let alone any kind of consensus order. You can only be surprised if you expect something, and there’s nothing to expect. Your personal board may get blown up, but then so will everyone’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get how we constantly get torched by guards for 50 and 60 points and the prissy folks on here don't want to consider a really good defensive guard prospect. Make it make sense.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't get how we constantly get torched by guards for 50 and 60 points and the prissy folks on here don't want to consider a really good defensive guard prospect. Make it make sense.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with drafting a player like Castle is that we have bum ass Sochan starting for us. Easier to feel good about it right now because Sochan is injured, but when he comes back, imagine having Castle or another non shooter with sochan on the floor. Disgusting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember the hard on everybody had for Anthony Black last season. Wanting to trade up to get him and pair him with Wemby. Dude can't even crack the rotation in Orlando. Guards that can't shoot don't work in the NBA anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember the hard on everybody had for Anthony Black last season. Wanting to trade up to get him and pair him with Wemby. Dude can't even crack the rotation in Orlando. Guards that can't shoot don't work in the NBA anymore.
    I would say he’s in their rotation, having started 33/65 games. He’s also shooting 38.5% from 3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would easily take Anthony over most of the players mocked in this draft lottery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say he’s in their rotation, having started 33/65 games. He’s also shooting 38.5% from 3.
    That was to start the season, currently, and heading into the playoffs, he's out of the rotation.

The decent 3pt shooting % in low volume is useless, how many times do we have to go through it?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was to start the season, currently, and heading into the playoffs, he's out of the rotation.

The decent 3pt shooting % in low volume is useless, how many times do we have to go through it?
    Jesus Christ, a PG with an 8.4 PER is pathetic. And wow 1.4 3FGA per game by Anthony Bird.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Dilly and Buzelis. We need a guard who can shoot and create for others. And I think Buz will learn how to shoot. He’s white. How can he not shoot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t believe that’s a given, at all. Any or all of the following, and I like these guys, could be gone: Mamukelashvili, Devonte, Bassey, Barlow, or Cissoko. None of them would cost much to just flat cut.
    I believe @JBP’s point is that creating space isn’t just a matter of roster spots - it’s a matter of minutes. You could cut all those guys, but you still haven’t created any actual playing time for four new players, because none of these guys actually plays any meaningful minutes.

For the Spurs to really change things up, there are going to have to move on from some players who play meaningful minutes right now (Keldon for example, Cedi is a more obvious choice on lesser minutes), or demote some of them (Julian, Tre, Branham would be candidates). They should do these things, but it’s not clear they will.
    Last edited by scott; 04-07-2024 at 11:20 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The archaic, miserable folks don't realize the league has basically outlawed individual defense on the perimeter, so they can only have so much impact.

It's "target" basketball anyway. Unless you have no defensive liabilities, teams will play screen/re-screen until they get the switch and attack the weak link.

Not me.

He does have Suggs, Harris, Anthony and Fultz ahead of him. Not exactly a murderer's row, but four legit rotational guards. Fultz and possibly Harris are goners, so he'll be in it next season though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Givony is referring to Clingan as a Top-5 pick and Edey as a Lotto pick… and he may not actually be wrong. This draft could have a lot of surprises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah maybe we get torched by guards for 50 or 60… but we also get torched by forwards and centers for careers high too. Don’t sell the rest of the team short!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah please, let's draft another guard who can't shoot in an offensive oriented league so defenses can triple team Victor. We need another Wesley on that team.

Speaking of, drafting a PG would mean giving up on really developing Wesley (not saying he had any future there) at that position, 2 years after drafting him and being excited because... we needed a PG. And probably giving up entirely on him since I do'nt see where you find playing time in the backcourt rotation above Devin, Keldon or Branham (not to mention the Champagnies and Cedis). Welcome in 3rd string world Blake, see ya in Europe in 2 years.

In other words, another failed picked for the spurs who haven't drafted a star ( Wemby put asides) in 10 years but who would find two this year in a meh draft... first focus and take opportunities in trades and FA tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, he’s a rookie on the #3 seed in the east. His leash isn’t going to be long going into the playoffs. It’s also not useless to be able to hit 3s when left open.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I (kind of) used this point some weeks ago, when I asked why McCain isn't in the same conversation as Sheppard. back then I guessed McCain might become the best shooter from this draft class and after the Tournament I'm pretty sure he will. (I didn't check, but his 16-32 from 3 should be the best number of all players in the tournament). no player shoots better of the dribble than he does.
    and it wasn't him who folded in the spotlight, it were his more experienced teammates, it was clearly on display who from this Duke team is made for the big stage.
    most mocks have moved him up a bit, I guess the highest I read was pick 12, but again, I'm sure he will be a top 10 Pick. (and my hope for the Toronto pick, if it conveys)

talking about players who might get draftet much higher than mocks predict, I see Hunter Sallis and DaRon Holmes. yes, they are Juniors and a bit older, but imo currently underrated big time. if they were there at 33, either would be a no brainer, but I think they will be picked higher, maybe mid first round. (and I would pick Holmes over Flip anytime).
    Sallis is an interesting case considering the huge jump he did from his Gonzaga years. if we are talking about guards who can defend, he can (shades of Dejounte Murray?). and now he can also shoot (if this season wasn't a fluke) and do more or less a bit of everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that okc was able to take our shooting guru from underneath us. Just wondering if Rylan Griffen makes anyone’s prospect radar? The only times I watched him this year was in the tournament but he looked to have some good tools, especially shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, routes in the 1-8 lottery:

- Small forward.

Risacher, Buzelis, Holland, Williams. Each seems like a project and won't solve any wing issues right away. Each is more of a project, which is okay, but all of them have shooting issues. Risacher has fallen off a cliff for a while now. Williams is efficient but doesn't shoot much. Someone did point out that Holland's numbers match very closely to fellow Ignite alum Jonathan Kuminga and that he's an absolute dog in some aspects of defense. That's intriguing.

- Guard (Offensive Type)

Dillingham, Topic, Collier. Each of these has issues on defense. Each of them may be a good get on offense. You're probably looking at a guy who can get offenses going, run pick-and-rolls, and either threaten the rim or the perimeter, possibly both. You may have to totally give up on defense with these guys and hope they come around with work.

- Guard (Defensive Type)

Castle. Can he run an offense? Maybe not at the top level you'd want, at least for now, but he can certainly initiate and get players the ball. Not incredibly quick, he can get to the rim more with strength and movement. Won't be a threat from outside, but his initial value is as a potential elite defender. He's caused a lot of problems for lead scorers in the tournament so far.

- Utility Guard

Reed Sheppard. I don't project Sheppard as a lead guard or as a defensive stopper. He's not quick enough, nor has the processing, shiftiness, or handles, to really run an offense. I'd love to be wrong about this, but as a kick-out destination he could be great. He's also not a defensive stopper but is a strong help defender who may become part of a good overall defense.

So... These are our choices. You can't pick a player who is not in the draft. If you don't go for a small forward project, then you go for a guard. And you pretty much have to decide offense or defense as early primary traits. The team needs both. The value of a Castle is that you have someone who may be able to slow down Jalen Brunson or Maxey and evolve into more. Yes, there are problems with starting next to Sochan, but Castle would be coming off the bench at first anyway.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham

I don't like him at all. If his shooting goes down the drain like it did in the NCAA first game tourney then he brings next to nothing. Sheppard is even worse becasue he isn't as good of an offensive player.
    Both of those guards are way over rated. Two top ten picks can't get their team a single win in the NCAA tourney.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There could be one or two guys sneaking their way up into the lottery, and order might change, but I believe the future top 10 picks (and spurs one(s)) are in Givony's last lottery IMHO. I also believe Risacher and Sarr are locked in the top 2-3.

1. Risacher.
    2. Sarr
    3. Clingan.
    4.Dillingham.
    5. Topic (question mark).
    6. Buzelis
    7. Sheppard
    8. Knecht
    9. Cody Williams
    10. Collier
    11. Ja'Kobe Walter
    12.Ron Holland,
    13. Zach Edey
    14. Stephon Castle.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s also playing behind some vets. I’ve asked a few Magic fans about their perception and he’s very well received. They expect his role to increase significantly once there’s more clarity around Fultz. Black is also viewed as a player that can fill a lot of holes. 1-4 and small ball.

They’re not overly concerned with his shooting. It has been more consistent than they expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dillingham

I don't like him at all. If his shooting goes down the drain like it did in the NCAA first game tourney then he brings next to nothing. Sheppard is even worse becasue he isn't as good of an offensive player.
    Both of those guards are way over rated. Two top ten picks can't get their team a single win in the NCAA tourney.
    I'm a little tired of these takes on the last game of the year for Dillingham. It's just lazy and inept.

Kentucky wasn't prepared for a zone. This is on Calipari. Apparently he asked a team during exhibition season to not run a zone against them. People now saying Calipari never scouted teams and opponents saying Kentucky was the easiest team to scout -- they always did the same thing. Oakland ran a zone.

Gohlke was slaying them. They tried Sheppard on him, and he had his usual trouble. They had Dillingham on him and with his quickness he did... alright. Characteristic to him, he would help off Gohlke, like unbelievably bad ideas, but that's also coaching. Dillingham made absurdly bad rotations all year, which I chalk up to a history of never being coached. (He was at Kanye West's academy and then Overtime Elite.)

Running around after Gohlke must have been tiring him out.

Down the stretch, he was trying to get them back in it, like he did all season. Con uously, Reed Sheppard was nowhere to be found. None of the other recruits were to be found. Reaves was good, but he had to be set up. Dillingham was not good down the stretch, but again he had a defensive assignment he'd never had before. And when he nailed a pretty crazy three, he never saw the ball again.

After he hit that bomb, the next possession, Sheppard slow-dribbled up and launched this baffling covered three that wasn't even close. Calipari called his first timeout the entire game, I believe, with seconds left to go.

I'm not defending Dillingham necessarily. I don't think the Spurs will take him. He has issues. But the blame he gets for this game is just so casual it's almost hilarious.

Thread Information