Page 21 of 134 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's done a lot more bad recently than good. He's been yanked in almost every game Pop gave him time in garbage time for mistakes.

Hopefully he regains focus and earns more time.
    Lol you cant take 1 or 2 minute stints seriously. Kid forces issue more than usual in time compressed showcase situations-- which is normal for aggressive rookies.

Those moments carry little to no weight to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol you cant take 1 or 2 minute stints seriously. Kid forces issue more than usual in time compressed showcase situations-- which is normal for aggressive rookies.

Those moments carry little to no weight to me.
    They do to me if only for earning more minutes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do to me if only for earning more minutes.
    Theres no minutes to be earned with Tony and Patty infront of him. If there was minutes available, he would have earned them after the Cavs game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres no minutes to be earned with Tony and Patty infront of him. If there was minutes available, he would have earned them after the Cavs game.
    Nah - you know better than that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah - you know better than that
    When it matters.. or when Patty and Tony BOTH are active -- there's no minutes for him to have. Pops never had a three PG rotation when all three are healthy and suited.

You know Pop by now, he's not playing Murray ahead of Tony, Patty, Green, Manu or Simmons when all are active. Only way he does is if a unit pisses him off or if one gets hurt or one sits.

No matter how well he played in Tony's absence, since Tony has returned Murray has sat and played Mengke Bateer minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (Can't post the entire article due to SAEN being gots)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2017/02/16/popovichs-request-to-dejounte-murray-study-chris-paul/

Popovich’s request to Dejounte Murray: Study Chris Paul

Gregg Popovich has officially issued the film challenge to rookie Dejounte Murray. It’s the same challenge given to and accepted by Kawhi Leonard.

Study the greats. Incorporate the knowledge. Improve your game.

Before Leonard was given the green light from Popovich, the coach showed him film of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Bruce Bowen and even Charles Barkley. Popovich wanted Leonard to absorb how some of the best competed. Leonard did exactly that, and mixed with hard work, the results are currently on display.

As Murray is in the middle of his rookie season, Popovich wants him to study Chris Paul, one of the best point guards in the NBA.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    ^murray could really study cp3 if the spurs ditch parker and sign paul this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't resist a bit to troll.... didn't he issue this challenge to Tony?

It's too tempting!.!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Pop is trying to get iron from ore here by trying the Kawhi method on Murray, or if he truly sees that rare upside in him. I find it odd that the Spurs weren't happier he fell if Pop truly thinks Murray could be "great", but then again they did try trading up for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't resist a bit to troll.... didn't he issue this challenge to Tony?

It's too tempting!.!
    He did, and Tony responded. Wonder how many times Pop does this without it being report? He Pop pull Daye aside and show him film of Horry? Did he urge Cory to study Nash?

It would be very exciting if Murray's the third rookie Pop's done this to.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    When it matters.. or when Patty and Tony BOTH are active -- there's no minutes for him to have. Pops never had a three PG rotation when all three are healthy and suited.

You know Pop by now, he's not playing Murray ahead of Tony, Patty, Green, Manu or Simmons when all are active. Only way he does is if a unit pisses him off or if one gets hurt or one sits.

No matter how well he played in Tony's absence, since Tony has returned Murray has sat and played Mengke Bateer minutes.
    good job shutting dpg down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did, and Tony responded. Wonder how many times Pop does this without it being report? He Pop pull Daye aside and show him film of Horry? Did he urge Cory to study Nash?

It would be very exciting if Murray's the third rookie Pop's done this to.
    lol
    I didn't know that. Interesting... nor Daye, nor the Cory thing... but Cory in the Canadian team had chances to learn from Nash himself... by the way, he improved his confidence a lot through international play.
    It was still funny.

There were actually a lot more interesting things in the article than what was shared... like how Pop explicitly told the reporter Murray is not going to get the playing time that he wants with Tony and Patty right now playing.... we can spin this however.. but Patty remaining in the team is in doubt.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 02-16-2017 at 01:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Pop is trying to get iron from ore here by trying the Kawhi method on Murray, or if he truly sees that rare upside in him. I find it odd that the Spurs weren't happier he fell if Pop truly thinks Murray could be "great", but then again they did try trading up for him.
    I am not sure what you mean here... maybe this is just musings.

I thought there is almost an admission from Coach that the reason he's not playing more is that Tony and Patty are in the team... thus he has time "to coddle" Murray.... his words... not mine.

They don't need him right now to play that much so they are working in fundamentals, concepts, learning, observing, etc. I think next season is when the real tough coaching will start. It's debatable among ourselves this approach. Some could say it basically wastes his rook season in a classroom. Heck guys blast Anderson in here for being 3 seasons in the league but he really barely played his 1st season as that team was trying to repeat and returned all 14 guys. I really only consider last season the first one Anderson got through Pop's really tough coaching, when he was getting benched for entire games after a single mistake, etc. we all saw it.

I think we shall see the tougher Pop on Murray next season.. but if needed it could have well been this season. Pop just has Tony and Patty and Manu, etc.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    tony should be sitting out damn near every other game, we we already know what he brings to the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure what you mean here... maybe this is just musings.
    The response I gave to your quote is more on target to what I meant with this one. Essentially I'm wondering if Pop believes the "Kawhi method" is just the best way to get the most out of rookies, or if he's telling Murray to study the greats because he thinks Murray has a similar potential. The Spurs were uber-secretive about Kawhi and traded up for him. They seemed happy Murray fell, but not as overjoyed as you'd assume they'd be if they just got another star. However, they did try trading up and went through Rich Paul's hoops to have an interview with DeJounte, so maybe...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The response I gave to your quote is more on target to what I meant with this one. Essentially I'm wondering if Pop believes the "Kawhi method" is just the best way to get the most out of rookies, or if he's telling Murray to study the greats because he thinks Murray has a similar potential. The Spurs were uber-secretive about Kawhi and traded up for him. They seemed happy Murray fell, but not as overjoyed as you'd assume they'd be if they just got another star. However, they did try trading up and went through Rich Paul's hoops to have an interview with DeJounte, so maybe...
    They have said they went to the 2011 draft looking for a wing with size. Once they got Kawhi they encouraged and fed his desire to be great. Murray has that same desire. (And Simmons and Anderson too... Simmons has spoken overtly about wanting to be an elite player in the league and Anderson has said he wants to be a good overall player. They have ceilings whether bc of athleticism in Anderson or just simply probably getting into the league late in their careers... Simmons and thus not having that much time to get better and achieve his potential when he should be on it right now.) From what I have seen the coaches do encourage all players to reach their full potential and I think they haven't kept it a secret that they think Murray can be great... or that Davis has potential to be so much more than Bonner (that one statement was from Manu). Now, what they are able to achieve no one knows. Kawhi was/is special. Pop has said aside from all his physical tools, etc.. he had/has an uncanny ability to learn and absorb like a sponge and that is special.

I don't think Danny doesn't dribble better bc he doesn't try to work on that for example. I think they all try to be better and are fed by the coaches into their desire to keep improving. That is the only way to really have everyone inspired to reach a championship if we are honest. I don't think they go in there putting ceiling on guys... specially younger guys.

Now, whether Dijon will be able to learn and absorb like a sponge the way Kawhi did, we don't know yet. It's too soon... he's not playing enough to begin with, nor is he getting the tough coach Pop right this second. I think we have seen him get hooked out in garbage time bc Pop is teaching him, but sometimes he's left to run a bit wild out there bc frankly he plays so little. Next season I would expect Pop to be very demanding.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 02-16-2017 at 03:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My concern about all this, and I know people are keen to misinterpret it, is that Murray is going to have to separate the meta part of his development from his actual development. He shouldn't really be talking about Pop's motivational style, because that creates emotional distance from it.

Murray is getting pulled due to making mistakes. But he's still making those. The best explanation is that he's young and blah blah. And once he learns, Pop will give him more slack. But you can't just think "Once I learn, I'll get minutes." And players have done that before. It's going to be even worse post-Kawhi, because it actually worked out for him. Now other guys are gonna look at Kawhi and assume they'll be that good. Sure, they'll think things like "If I work." But that's not good enough.

Kawhi didn't have to worry about being the "next Kawhi" because he was the first Kawhi. In that regard, Murray's going to have to be the first Murray. He and Pop will need to forge a unique relationship that shouldn't be so easy to recognize from top down. He can only follow his path, and I hope he realizes that and doesn't get caught up in looking over at Kawhi or Tony at similar stages. The same is true with d-leaguers and Green or LMA and Tim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answer he gave was prompted. Reporters were fishing for a soundbite. That's why I mentioned it maybe he's not analyzing a goddamn thing but if they ask you... well what are you going to say if you are a 20 year old rook? that Pop is top notch... bc nothing else he would say frankly would be fine except for that... That is why I said the chuckle gave it away.

Kawhi can inspire guys not even in the Spurs. I think Winslow in Miami mentioned him as an inspiration bc himself, he is a wing with size that came into the league with mostly defensive upside. Aaron Gordon? The same. Not everyone can be Kawhi but it is a testament to Kawhi that younger players than him coming into the league look at his improvement for inspiration. If anything that is one of the most remarkable things in basketball lately, that he has been able to absorb and improve every season to that degree. (Something Pop mentioned seasons ago.. his statement about Kawhi's ability to learn being special that I cited was made after Kawhi's 2nd or 3rd season I believe. You could see his improvement then but he was not yet this guy putting up 30 + points a night when his team needs them)....

Kawhi is just an aspiration to be great... and that you don't have to be drafted no. 1 to be the top player in the league if anything. Murray actually also mentioned Tony early in the summer as an inspiration and looks up to him (actually in that same statement in that article that he mentioned Chris Paul as a guy to model his game, but he actually mentioned Tony first). The Tony hater will scowl... but Murray is learning from Tony.

I don't see anything poor with his statements. Again, we are not seeing the tough coaching this season bc he's barely playing and to a degree Pop has to watch him play first to then correct and suggest, and fix things. Maybe behind closed doors he gets all the coaching, but right now he plays so little it's hard to tell much and they also have to let him make those mistakes to then show him film and point out things. Whether he can learn or not we don't know, that is what separates the greats from the roleplayer. Pop mentioned showing him Chris Paul but also recognized that Murray has to be himself. What he is.. heck Pop didn't know... he didn't even look like a pure PG and sometimes still doesn't look it.

We could say they are getting acquainted, which is different than getting a rook like Davis who came into the league with a game fully formed and forged in Europe, that I think Pop wants to expand. Heck Pop still doesn't know what to do with Anderson if we are honest. And then there is the old adage: that it's the players themselves who tell you and show you what they are. Murray's time is likely to come next season for better or worse.

We could say they twiddled thumbs with him his rook season. If he's not playing there is not that much to see him get struggle with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they believe he's the PG of the future, they need to play him now. And not waste 2 more years of KL in his prime. Throw Dejonunte out there and see if he develops enough to be able to start him next year. I sure hope Pop's motivation for not playing him more is to avoid a PG controversy for Parker's last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they believe he's the PG of the future, they need to play him now. And not waste 2 more years of KL in his prime. Throw Dejonunte out there and see if he develops enough to be able to start him next year. I sure hope Pop's motivation for not playing him more is to avoid a PG controversy for Parker's last year.
    What Pop said:
    “He’s not going to get all the minutes he wants with Patty (Mills) and Tony here at this point,” said Popovich. “His future is going to be bright, but everything he can do right now to better his game is important. Right now, watching those guys is a big part of that.”
    Seems to me without explicitly saying what the spot he can fill is... they do see a bright future... but not right now. Twiddling thumbs is what I said. Not much to see right now.

This season is not for Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Pop said:

Seems to me without explicitly saying what the spot he can fill is... they do see a bright future... but not right now. Twiddling thumbs is what I said. Not much to see right now.

This season is not for Murray.
    Right. So the question is...does Pop stick with Parker next season? Or will he actually have the balls to make TP a sub? And LOL at Murray learning anything from watching Mills. I like Mills but he's not a starting caliber PG. He's been here for years and still seems to be out of place at times.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. So the question is...does Pop stick with Parker next season? Or will he actually have the balls to make TP a sub? And LOL at Murray learning anything from watching Mills. I like Mills but he's not a starting caliber PG. He's been here for years and still seems to be out of place at times.
    You're a dumbass if you think he can't learn anything from patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who knows?
    I don't know TBH. I wanted Murray to get more time this season myself.
    And I think if they don't reup Mills for next season, I have thought they do make Murray the backup PG but put a more veteran guard next to him to help him out.

That is the extent of my crystal ball.

If Tony falls off a cliff more.. or gets injured for an extended period it changes things. Things happen in sports. I don't follow football TBH, but I now live next to Dallas and well we know how Dex got his chance with the cowboys. If Tony doesn't recover this season we could have seen more Murray. He was doing well starting games, despite the occasional still shaky play here or there. I think he's going to get his chance next season and go from there. And this season is not over... but it's not encouraging he is playing this little and reading Pop this confident that he's fine with his guards and leaving Murray in the classroom basically.

In the future Tony could potentially help the bench out and Murray could be starting is a possibility too. As much as starting might be the more "cache" spot... I think Murray being a bench PG could be tougher... the reason is that the starters already have Kawhi, Pau and Lamarcus... all veteran offensive players who can get their own shots and create and thus the burden is lessened for Murray. In the bench, he'd have lesser players and be tasked with more, specially scoring on his own and running things, bailing out possessions etc. In the context of the team the bench PG might have the tougher task in the future, it could be good for the bench if Tony helped them out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're a dumbass if you think he can't learn anything from patty.
    Go lick some butt somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We get it Pop. You're in control.

Thread Information