Page 22 of 152 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NORTH CAROLINA MAN ATTACKS OFFICER WITH KNIFE.

i dont get the point of this... did you watch the video? the officer already had his taser out and pointed at the guy before he was attacked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OFFICER SHOWS ULTIMATE RESTRAINT WHEN HE IS UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH MAN WHO JUST KILLED HIS BEST FRIEND AND EX GIRLFRIEND

so if he shoots him, this vid goes on thread because of brutality

if he doesn't he gets here because

there's no pleasing some people

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont get the point of this... did you watch the video? the officer already had his taser out and pointed at the guy before he was attacked.
    unarmed men getting shot, this guy runs at a cop with a weapon and lives to tell...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unarmed men getting shot, this guy runs at a cop with a weapon and lives to tell...
    did you watch the video? the cop had his taser out and pointed at the guy the entire time. if he tried to drop his taser and pull out a gun, he probably woulda gotten stabbed and/or killed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you watch the video? the cop had his taser out and pointed at the guy the entire time. if he tried to drop his taser and pull out a gun, he probably woulda gotten stabbed and/or killed
    The cop had a gun, not a taser. And I watched the video several times.

"He got towards my face right as I lost balance," Kidder said "I'm thinking, at this point, that if he goes in to attack me that I'll have to use deadly force to defend myself."

"The suspect eventually charges but Kidder again refuses to pull the trigger. The officer stumbles and falls backward but when he gets up the suspect finally complies."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2190739

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so if he shoots him, this vid goes on thread because of brutality

if he doesn't he gets here because

there's no pleasing some people
    It wouldn't go on this thread, not by me at least. This guy is suspected of killing two people and was running at an officer.

Not the same as a kid playing with a toy guy and having the cops pull up and unload two shots in his stomach. They lie about how it went down and the city blames the kid for his death.

or the dozens of ridiculously over the top uses of force by the cops. Such a 10 cops beating the out of a man who was on the ground surrendering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you are referring to the wrong link... check the post log and look at the comment i was initially replying to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, you're slow. of course he has his taser out and ready, he was responding to a WHITE family. he knew better. if the guy was black, he would have used his gun and killed him, word.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cops Kill Man for Refusing to ID as He Dropped Off Stray Cat to Animal Shelter, Police Remain Silent

In late December of 2014, Robert Earl Lawrence, 30, in an act of compassion, took a stray cat to the Dothan Animal Shelter. What was a seemingly selfless act of kindness would subsequently end with Lawrence being fatally gunned down by a cop.

Almost four months after that fateful day, police have provided the public with no more answers than were given the day after the killing. They have maintained a blanket of virtual silence surrounding the incident.

As we reported previously, the

staff at the shelter, rather than simply accepting the cat, proceeded to demand that Lawrence show government issued identification.
    WTF?

Per shelter policy, they demanded Lawrence show ID, prior to being allowed to leave, ???? according to information released by police immediately after the shooting.

Lawrence showed them a notarized legal identification in the form of an affidavit, rather than the standard Department of Motor Vehicle issued ID card. In what would prove to be a fatal move, shelter employees refused to accept his form of ID and called the police.

“After repeatedly being told to calm down, Lawrence was advised he was being placed under arrest. A physical altercation ensued, to which Lawrence was shot in the abdomen (by an officer),” Police Sgt. Maurice Eggleston told AL News.

After the shooting the police spin machine went into overdrive as they attempted to portray the victim in a negative light. They highlighted past run-ins with the law and labeled him a “Sovereign Citizen,” a claim which his family disputes.

http://www.alternet.org/cops-kill-ma...er1035255&t=19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, you're slow. of course he has his taser out and ready, he was responding to a WHITE family. he knew better. if the guy was black, he would have used his gun and killed him, word.
    in the recent carolina shooting the cop had his taser out first

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the recent carolina shooting the cop had his taser out first
    really?

and instead of chasing him, calling for backup and setting up a perimeter, he shoots at the fleeing suspects back 8 times

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really?

and instead of chasing him, calling for backup and setting up a perimeter, he shoots at the fleeing suspects back 8 times
    i've already said that cop deserved prison for what he did.

but you saying "this guy only had his taser out first because the perp was white" is just moronic and wrong. if the taser wasn't knocked out of his hand, thats probably what he would have used (considering that's what he took out first). doesn't justify the ensuing events, but that's not the point i'm making here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How the NYPD Is More Humane to (Unarmed) Coyotes Than African-Americans

Earlier this month, the police captured a coyote in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan by shooting it with a tranquilizer dart after a pursuit.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...ican-americans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've already said that cop deserved prison for what he did.

but you saying "this guy only had his taser out first because the perp was white" is just moronic and wrong.

that's your opinion and i respectfully disagree. peace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's your opinion and i respectfully disagree. peace.
    in both cases the cop took the taser out first. that's not an opinion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

tulsa sheriff's department being investigated for a history of misconduct.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Settlement Won’t Even Cover Medical Bills for Baby Whose Face was Blown Apart by Police Grenade

No officers were charged for their near-deadly negligence, and the department claimed that they did not know that there were children in the home.

http://www.alternet.org/settlement-w...police-grenade

... and they did not care. Militarized, extremely violent SWAT team was their only option. Boys just gotta dress up and have fun.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Blacks Running From Cops Is Entirely Logical -- and So Common

I know this guy driving his 11 year old brother to school in his girlfriend’s car when he got stopped.

Turns out that the car was stolen, so the cops charged the guy with receiving stolen property. And then they charged the 11 year old with accessory to receiving stolen property, and gave him 3 years of probation.

So from now on this 11 year old is in legal jeopardy.

Any less-than-positive encounter with the police could mean a violation of his probation, and send him straight to juvenile hall for the entire three years. He could be out past curfew, or sitting on the stoop with his brother’s friends, or asked to inform—anything could lead to a violation.

http://www.alternet.org/why-blacks-r...-and-so-common

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Myth of Police Reform

The real problem is the belief that all our social problems can be solved with force.

There is a tendency, when examining police shootings, to focus on tactics at the expense of strategy. One interrogates the actions of the officer in the moment trying to discern their mind-state. We ask ourselves, "Were they justified in shooting?" But, in this time of heightened concern around the policing, a more essential question might be, "Were we justified in sending them?" At some point, Americans decided that the best answer to every social ill lay in the power of the criminal-justice system. Vexing social problems—homelessness, drug use, the inability to support one's children, mental illness—are presently solved by sending in men and women who specialize in inspiring fear and ensuring compliance. Fear and compliance have their place, but it can't be every place.
    When Walter Scott fled from the North Charleston police, he was not merely fleeing Michael Thomas Slager, he was attempting to flee incarceration. He was doing this because we have decided that the criminal-justice system is the best tool for dealing with men who can't, or won't, support their children at a level that we deem satisfactory. Peel back the layers of most of the recent police shootings that have captured attention and you will find a broad societal problem that we have looked at, thrown our hands up, and said to the criminal-justice system, "You deal with this."
    Last week I was in Madison, Wisconsin, where I was informed of the killing of Tony Robinson by a police officer. Robinson was high on mushrooms. The police were summoned after he chased a car. The police killed him. A month earlier, I'd been thinking a lot about Anthony Hill, who was mentally ill. One day last month, Hill stripped off his clothes and started jumping off of his balcony. The police were called. They killed him. I can't see the image of Tamir Rice aimlessly kicking snow outside the Cleveland projects and think of how little we invest in occupying the minds of children. A bored Tamir Rice decided to occupy his time with a airsoft gun. He was killed.
    There is of course another way. Was Walter Scott's malfunctioning third-brake light really worth a police encounter? Should the state repeatedly incarcerate him for not paying child support? Do we really want people trained to fight crime dealing with someone who's ceased taking medication? Does the presence of a gun really improve the chance of peacefully resolving a drug episode? In this sense, the police—and the idea of police reform—are a symptom of something larger. The idea that all social problems can, and should, be resolved by sheer power is not limited to the police. In Atlanta, a problem that began with the poor state of public schools has now ending by feeding more people into the maw of the carceral state.

There are many problems with expecting people trained in crime-fighting to be social workers. In the black community, there is a problem of legitimacy. In his 1953 book The Quest For Community, conservative Robert Nisbet distinguishes between "power" and "authority." Authority, claims Nisbet, is a matter of relationships, allegiances, and association and is "based ultimately upon the consent of those under it." Power, on the other hand, is "external" and "based upon force." Power exists where allegiances have decayed or never existed at all. "Power arises," writes Nesbit, "only when authority breaks down."
    African Americans, for most of our history, have lived under the power of the criminal-justice system, not its authority. The dominant feature in the relationship between African Americans and their country is plunder, and plunder has made police authority an impossibility, and police power a necessity. The skepticism of Officer Darren Wilson's account in the shooting of Michael Brown, for instance, emerges out of lack of police authority—which is to say it comes from a belief that the police are as likely to lie as any other citizen. When African American parents give their children "The Talk," they do not urge them to make no sudden movements in the presence of police out of a profound respect for the democratic ideal, but out of the knowledge that police can, and will, kill them.
    But for most Americans, the police—and the criminal-justice system—are figures of authority. The badge does not merely represent rule via lethal force, but rule through consent and legitimacy rooted in nobility. This is why whenever a liberal politician offers even the mildest criticism of the police, they must add that "the majority of officers are good, noble people." Taken at face value this is not much of a defense—like a restaurant claiming that on most nights, there really are no rats in the dining room. But interpreted less literally the line is not meant to defend police officers, but to communicate the message that the speaker is not questioning police authority, which is to say the authority of our justice system, which is to say—in a democracy—the authority of the people themselves.
    Thus it was not surprising, last week, to see that the mayor of North Charleston ordered the use of body cameras for all officers. Body cameras are the least divisive and least invasive step toward reforming the practices of the men and women we permit to kill in our names. Body cameras are helpful in police work, but they are also helpful in avoiding a deeper conversation over what it means to keep whole swaths of America under the power of the justice system, as opposed to the authority of other branches of civil society.
    Police officers fight crime. Police officers are neither case-workers, nor teachers, nor mental-health professionals, nor drug counselors. One of the great hallmarks of the past forty years of American domestic policy is a broad disinterest in that difference. The problem of restoring police authority is not really a problem of police authority, but a problem of democratic authority. It is what happens when you decide to solve all your problems with a hammer. To ask, at this late date, why the police seem to have lost their minds is to ask why our hammers are so bad at installing air-conditioners. More it is to ignore the state of the house all around us. A reform that begins with the officer on the beat is not reform at all. It's avoidance. It's a continuance of the American preference for considering the actions of bad individuals, as opposed to the function and intention of systems.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...reform/390057/

ta-nehisi the gawd with another gem

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Model sues, says Bay Area police broke bones in her face during arrest

A model has filed a suit in which she claims Bay Area police officers slammed her to the ground and broke four bones in her face. Footage from police security and body cameras recorded at least part of the incident.

Body camera video footage obtained by KGO-TV on Saturday shows officers grabbing Sheehan’s arms and appearing to push her to the ground while the model was being booked in Santa Rita jail. In the background, someone says “Ooh,” after she was thrown to the ground. Another voice says, “You might want medical.”

Photographs taken at the hospital show Sheehan’s bloodied, bruised and swollen face.

she was arrested on su ion of battery on an officer and resisting arrest, according to the lawsuit.

Once she arrived at the Santa Rita jail, she claims four assailants beat her unconscious. As a result of the beating, four bones on her face were broken. Her front tooth was cracked and her molar was split.

Sheehan was taken to a hospital, where she spent two days receiving treatment.

She was returned to the jail and later released on bail. She says criminal charges were never filed against her.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...427-story.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why Blacks Running From Cops Is Entirely Logical -- and So Common

I know this guy driving his 11 year old brother to school in his girlfriend’s car when he got stopped.

Turns out that the car was stolen, so the cops charged the guy with receiving stolen property. And then they charged the 11 year old with accessory to receiving stolen property, and gave him 3 years of probation.

So from now on this 11 year old is in legal jeopardy.

Any less-than-positive encounter with the police could mean a violation of his probation, and send him straight to juvenile hall for the entire three years. He could be out past curfew, or sitting on the stoop with his brother’s friends, or asked to inform—anything could lead to a violation.

http://www.alternet.org/why-blacks-r...-and-so-common
    while that story is ed up, it has nothing to do with running from cops, and its laughable to suggest that it's a logical move. i hope american youth dont take the article le seriously, for their own safety. but in general, yes... somebody driving a stolen car, even if not theirs, could be legally liable... if he knew or thought it was stolen. i'm assuming if his girlfriend had stolen a car, he would know it was stolen.

although it would be cool to actually have a verifiable story instead of "i know this guy"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    while that story is ed up, it has nothing to do with running from cops, and its laughable to suggest that it's a logical move. i hope american youth dont take the article le seriously, for their own safety. but in general, yes... somebody driving a stolen car, even if not theirs, could be legally liable... if he knew or thought it was stolen. i'm assuming if his girlfriend had stolen a car, he would know it was stolen.

although it would be cool to actually have a verifiable story instead of "i know this guy"
    yes, driving a stolen car, if you know it was stolen, if the person you borrowed it from knew it was stolen and didn't tell you, is stupid.

putting an 11 year old kid on probation for 3 years as "accessory to receiving stolen property" is beyond stupid. It's police brutality, harassment of innocents, criminalization of childdren.

And the rest of the article you conveniently ignore.

Innocent blacks KNOW for sure the police will very probably them over, so running gives them a chance to not be ed over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Running from the cops will put your life more in danger.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    What will the next lib article be? Putting Your Hand on a Hot Stove is Logical? Driving Drunk is Logical?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Police withheld video of officers laughing, mocking, re-enacting brutal beating of Floyd Dent

Police officers in Inkster, Michigan pulled Floyd Dent over for maybe, possibly not completely stopping at a stop sign and then brutally beat the 57-year-old man who had no prior arrests or convictions of any kind.
    One of the officers, Bill "Robocop" Melendez has since been fired and charged with felony assault, mistreatment of a prisoner and misconduct in the brutal beating of Floyd Dent.Prosecutors dismissed the drug charges against Dent.

Now Inkster police have released an equally disturbing video, one they apparently didn't want to see the light of day:

“He is bleeding like a sieve, there is blood everywhere,” said Rohl. “The officers don’t seem at all disturbed by what happened at the scene. They appear happy, pleased, even celebratory over the arrest of Floyd Dent—a man who was just beaten kicked and tased.
    As the officers continue wiping Dents blood off them, an officer decides to do a little acting. He lies down on a bench and imitates Dent being on the ground at the scene choked by Officer William Melendez. His acting seems to thrill rather than disgust his audience.

At the same time, Dent is suffering from a closed head injury, broken ribs, and a fractured orbital but had not been allowed to see a doctor for his injuries.

Watch the police laughing, fist-bumping and re-enacting the beating, all while Floyd Dent sits just off-frame, with several broken ribs and bleeding everywhere, pleading with them to call for medical attention.

see video:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/27/1380698/-Police-withheld-video-of-officers-laughing-mocking-re-enacting-brutal-beating-of-Floyd-Dent?detail=email

Thread Information