Page 227 of 238 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 5940
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods saying DE Sione Teuhema took a visit to Oklahoma State this weekend.
    I saw a comment somewhere (no link) that he said he wasn't decommitting after the visit.

Nick Harvey apparently 'tweeted' "congrats bro welcome aboard let's go win a Natty" to Alaka - I doubt he'd say that if he was currently planning on leaving.

Post Count
    I saw a comment somewhere (no link) that he said he wasn't decommitting after the visit.

Nick Harvey apparently 'tweeted' "congrats bro welcome aboard let's go win a Natty" to Alaka - I doubt he'd say that if he was currently planning on leaving.
    I don't think he is leaving, but we wouldn't be visiting Texas either and pretending he wasn't if his commitment was that firm.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Defensive recruits choosing to play for a soft aggie defense over a NC winning defensive coach... Are Texas HS players inherently softer than the SE kids?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Maybe the kids are scared off by the level of intensity of the workouts. I'm hearing some stories of how intense they are.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Floss, have you heard anything on Markell Boston from East Coweta (Ga.)? He's committed to East Carolina, but Eric Nahlin mentioned him on Twitter yesterday as a very underrated player (I agree). I thought their might have been some contact since Nahlin mentioned him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Markell-Boston-36618

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/813119...ights/74762375

EDIT: He visited Alabama this weekend and left without an offer. Maybe that's why Nahlin brought him up?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Maybe the kids are scared off by the level of intensity of the workouts. I'm hearing some stories of how intense they are.
    The idea of early PT is a selling point for the Aggies right now...their defense sucks and they are young in their 2 deep.
    Not sure how long that will last but it's working right now. Overall, they are just THE hot team in Texas right now.
    The only sure fire way to combat that for Texas is to win. The Texas staff will be better prepared for the 2015 class as
    it's just hard to build relationships with recruits in the last 3 weeks of the recruiting cycle.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Along with DE Kolin Hill of Schertz Clemens, two new names the staff are trying to get on campus this weekend are DT/DE Breeland Speaks of Jackson, MS and DE Richard Yeargin III of Fort Lauderdale, FL. 24/7 saying Speaks has an official visit to Arkansas this upcoming weekend, but may bump it in order to visit Austin. Yeargin was supposedly offered last night but has not set up anything as of this morning.

http://247sports.com/Player/Breeland-Speaks-23655

http://247sports.com/Player/Richard-Yeargin-III-21452

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Also from 24/7...

-WR Lorenzo Joe is expected to sign with Texas next week despite a great visit to TCU.

-2015 OL Connor Lanfear says after his visit to A&M that he's "not de-committing anytime soon" and is anxious to meet with the new UT staff. All should be well as long as the new staff lets it be known that he is wanted.

-Things do not look promising with CB Nick Harvey. He is expected to remain with A&M.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Quick question for the knowledgeable posters here.

Is a "Preferred Walk-on" nothing more than a glorified tackling dummy for a D-1 program with almost no chance to eventually get a scholarship?

I have a nephew who is going on an official visit to a smaller D-1 school (UL-Monroe) and he might get an offer. His alternative is to walk on and he was thinking about a larger D-1 school up east.

Any feedback/opinions would be appreciated.
    A "preferred walk-on" by definition is someone who is genuinely wanted, but there aren't enough scholarships to go around at the time (see K Nick Rose of Texas). Once scholarship numbers become more favorable in the future, that prospect is supposed to be given immediate consideration before other walk-ons. The only problem is some schools/coaches can use it to their advantage and the prospect never gets a scholarship. It's simply a situation where your nephew will have to use his best judgement. If it were my family memeber, I'd hammer away at the possibility that the free edcuation may never come, so be absolutely sure you want to play football and you can see yourself being happy at that university. My $0.02.

Is a "Preferred Walk-on" nothing more than a glorified tackling dummy for a D-1 program with almost no chance to eventually get a scholarship?

I have a nephew who is going on an official visit to a smaller D-1 school (UL-Monroe) and he might get an offer. His alternative is to walk on and he was thinking about a larger D-1 school up east.

Depends, no rules on the definition of a preferred walk-on so it varies. One coach may promise a scholly if they make the 2/3 deep roster, others if they start, etc. You have to look at what is being offered and the roster players you are against. There are enough walk-ons who earn schollies at almost every program to say it is much more than a tackling dummy situation.

Also, NCAA limits the number of walk-ons a team can bring into fall camp (before school starts) to 20 (I think, maybe 25). Anyway, the preferred walk-ons are generaly in this group which gives them some advantage.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Along with DE Kolin Hill of Schertz Clemens, two new names the staff are trying to get on campus this weekend are DT/DE Breeland Speaks of Jackson, MS and DE Richard Yeargin III of Fort Lauderdale, FL. 24/7 saying Speaks has an official visit to Arkansas this upcoming weekend, but may bump it in order to visit Austin. Yeargin was supposedly offered last night but has not set up anything as of this morning.

http://247sports.com/Player/Breeland-Speaks-23655

http://247sports.com/Player/Richard-Yeargin-III-21452
    I dont't think we should get to excited or optimistic about snatching Richard Yeargin III. He just recently decommitted from Notre Dame and is a heavy Clemson lean at the moment. His family is originally from South Carolina and his dad loves Clemson. The link to the news article about his recruitment is below.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/hsspo...otre-dame.html

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Speaking from experience as I'm someone who paid for most of my own college and was crippled by student debt for the first 10 years of my post college employment and had to create and develop my own company to make enough money to get rid of it...

I'd tell your nephew to do whatever it takes to avoid that situation. If his parents are loaded and don't mind footing the bill then by all means take the chance as a preferred walkon if he feels comfortable at the school and is confident he can beat out guys to get a role. If he's going to have to foot the bill then I'd highly encourage him to take a scholarship offer if he gets one. No one should go through the type of of scraping by because you're saddled with debt and the country gets attacked and goes to war and through a major recession.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Speaking from experience as I'm someone who paid for most of my own college and was crippled by student debt for the first 10 years of my post college employment and had to create and develop my own company to make enough money to get rid of it...

I'd tell your nephew to do whatever it takes to avoid that situation. If his parents are loaded and don't mind footing the bill then by all means take the chance as a preferred walkon if he feels comfortable at the school and is confident he can beat out guys to get a role. If he's going to have to foot the bill then I'd highly encourage him to take a scholarship offer if he gets one. No one should go through the type of of scraping by because you're saddled with debt and the country gets attacked and goes to war and through a major recession.
    Solid post. Unless you've got money to play with, take the scholly.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Per 24/7, DE Kolin Hill told a Notre Dame reporter he's "not going anywhere" or taking visits this weekend.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Floss, have you heard anything on Markell Boston from East Coweta (Ga.)? He's committed to East Carolina, but Eric Nahlin mentioned him on Twitter yesterday as a very underrated player (I agree). I thought their might have been some contact since Nahlin mentioned him.

http://247sports.com/Player/Markell-Boston-36618

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/813119...ights/74762375

EDIT: He visited Alabama this weekend and left without an offer. Maybe that's why Nahlin brought him up?
    Not sure why Nahlin brought him up, but I honestly don't think there's anything there.

I will let you know if I see anything.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    According to 24/7, '15 RB/ATH Chris Warren from Rockwall has been invited to visit either february 22nd or march 1st. That looks to be the Junior Day dates.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods saying DE Sione Teuhema took a visit to Oklahoma State this weekend.
    There is some talk about him just visiting a cousin who goes to Oklahoma State. Not sure if true, but is definitely possible.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    According to 24/7, '15 RB/ATH Chris Warren from Rockwall has been invited to visit either february 22nd or march 1st. That looks to be the Junior Day dates.
    Also from 24/7...

-A few UT coaches were in West Orange today to see 2015 S Deionte Thompson and 2015 S Johnny Shaw.

-Les Koenning stopped by Texas City this morning to see the Foremans. They are still unsure if the Missouri visit will go down this weekend, but Gary Pinkel will have an in-home with the family on Wednesday evening.

Believe.
    My Team
    Incarnate Word Cardinals
    Post Count
    Solid post. Unless you've got money to play with, take the scholly.

Solid post...every kid going to college should take special note. Wish I had this kind of advice being the first in my family to attend college. I know one is for sure, I will do whatever it takes to make sure my kids don't get saddled with student loan debt.

Back to you Floss...

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    There is some talk about him just visiting a cousin who goes to Oklahoma State. Not sure if true, but is definitely possible.
    24/7 mentioned the coaches didn't know about it, so hopefully that's the case.

Definitely doesn't sound like something either of those brothers would do.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    OrangeBloods saying Major Applewhite interviewed for North Carolina's open QB coaching position over the weekend.

He will most likely take it as long as he can get all of the contracts worked out.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    TFloss, Whiskey, Jimmie, 3rd Coast

Thanks for the information you provided......

My nephew is the only close family member ever good enough to go down this road of playing Div. I Football so it's a hectic time for him and his mom and dad.

My hope is to provide a little info to them so they can make the best decision possible.

It looks like UL-Monroe runs an wide open passing game with three and four wide outs. That looks like a possible good fit for him - hopefully a scholly comes forth this weekend!!!!

FWIW, my nephew Kellen stepped into the spot Jake Oliver had at Dallas Jesuit in 2012. He had over 1000 yards receiving and 12-14 TDs in 2013 - the team won two playoff games for the first time ever this year since moving to UIL.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    TFloss, Whiskey, Jimmie, 3rd Coast

Thanks for the information you provided......

My nephew is the only close family member ever good enough to go down this road of playing Div. I Football so it's a hectic time for him and his mom and dad.

My hope is to provide a little info to them so they can make the best decision possible.

It looks like UL-Monroe runs an wide open passing game with three and four wide outs. That looks like a possible good fit for him - hopefully a scholly comes forth this weekend!!!!

FWIW, my nephew Kellen stepped into the spot Jake Oliver had at Dallas Jesuit in 2012. He had over 1000 yards receiving and 12-14 TDs in 2013 - the team won two playoff games for the first time ever this year since moving to UIL.
    Hope it works out for him. Keep us posted.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Per OrangeBloods, 2015 OL Aaron Garza has de-committed.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Max Olson ‏@max_olson
    Armanti and D’Onta Foreman are taking their official visit to #Missouri this weekend, per a source.

Thread Information