Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looked like ass today, although he’s got a ed hamstring.

Trae continued the “easy lob” narrative in the post game tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looked like ass today, although he’s got a ed hamstring.

Trae continued the “easy lob” narrative in the post game tho
    What A Tease… Someone Needs To Shave The Pubes On His Head Once And For All

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1...ray-trae-young

1. The San Antonio Spurs Should Make a Big Trade (Eventually)

You ever think about getting back with an ex? That’s what the Spurs are reportedly considering right now. In recent days, both The Athletic’s Shams Charania and ESPN’s Zach Lowe said the Spurs have registered interest in acquiring Dejounte Murray from the Atlanta Hawks. It makes sense. Victor Wembanyama hasn’t benefited from playing with a high-level point guard yet, and Murray was an All-Star in his final season with the Spurs, posting a 3.5 assist-to-turnover ratio. When he’s at his best, he’s an elite defensive guard who rebounds at a high level. Though he’s not defending at the same level for the lowly Hawks, he’s made significant strides as a scorer in Atlanta. The Spurs wouldn’t have been bad enough to win the lottery and draft Wembanyama had they not traded away Murray. But following a 7-31 start to the season, maybe getting back together with Murray could be the move the Spurs need to turn things around.

After trading Murray to the Hawks 18 months ago, the Spurs own Atlanta’s first-round picks in 2025 and 2027 plus the right to swap firsts in 2026. From people I’ve spoken with, the Hawks are asking for two firsts in return for Murray, who would prefer to join a team with a chance to make an immediate playoff run. So far, no one has met their demands. The problem for San Antonio is that Atlanta’s future firsts might be too valuable to give back. The Hawks look like a team on the ropes at 15-23, on the outside looking in at the play-in race in the East. Would it really be in San Antonio’s best interest to send even one of those picks back when their value is skyrocketing?

Of course, it’s clear why the Spurs would be interested in a Murray return. Starting Tre Jones at point guard has shown San Antonio’s upside with a true floor general at the helm. In over 239 minutes with Wemby at center and Jones at point guard, San Antonio is outscoring opponents by 8.6 points per 100 possessions, according to PBP Stats. Running the offense through Jeremy Sochan was a worthy experiment to find out how he could handle an expanded role, and it helped raise the Spurs’ lottery odds in the process. But a steady game manager who minimizes mistakes is what Wembanyama and the Spurs will need. If Murray were starting and Jones was coming off the bench, Wemby would always be paired with a shot creator (in contrast to some of the awkward lineups he’s been in this season).

But as good as Murray is, the Hawks point guard that the Spurs should be chasing is Trae Young. While Atlanta isn’t seeking out deals for Young as it is for Murray, we’re moving toward a point when those intentions could change. The Murray trade was a flop. Outside of Jalen Johnson, the draft picks on the wing haven’t panned out. The team is losing. Young wants nothing more than to win a le with Atlanta, but he’s posting big, empty numbers on a team that might not even make the play-in. Unless the Hawks become more than playoff fodder, it should surprise no one if Young, who is 25 and in the prime of his career, and the franchise mutually decide that a divorce is in everyone’s best interest.

San Antonio would be a dream fit for Young. Wembanyama and Young are both elite while being on opposite ends of the physical spectrum, making them a diverse duo that teams wouldn’t want to switch screens against. Trae is one of the league’s best at feeding easy shots to bigs, which would allow Wemby to score off of rolls and cuts on a regular basis. This season, Young has also embraced playing with more off-ball movement under Quin Snyder. If he was paired with a big with playmaking skills (like Wembanyama), then he could become even more potent in handoff and two-man actions. Together, they could be one of the league’s most powerful duos on offense. And on defense, Young is playing harder than ever; he’s small and will be targeted in the playoffs, but there’s no better antidote for a weaker defender than to have Wembanyama protecting the paint.

No team has a greater need for a point guard than the Spurs, making them an intriguing landing spot for Young. The biggest question, though, is whether Gregg Popovich would want Trae, an unproven system fit, over Murray, who made significant strides with the franchise—or the alternatives of building through the draft or targeting an entirely different player in a trade. Linking back up with Murray right now wouldn’t be the worst decision for the Spurs. But the chance to swipe right on Trae is worth the wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys don't want Trae Young?
    Abso inglutely not.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should really keep their powder dry for guys like Murray or Reaves but if Young hits the market they should be all in. Trade away a bunch of picks for Young and take another top five pick with their own selection who's on the same timeline as Wemby.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon sucks
    vassell sucks
    branham sucks
    collins sucks

trade them all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys don't want Trae Young?
    But some of these gots wanted primo back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should really keep their powder dry for guys like Murray or Reaves but if Young hits the market they should be all in. Trade away a bunch of picks for Young and take another top five pick with their own selection who's on the same timeline as Wemby.
    Atlanta is going to want all of their picks back, plus our pick this year, plus the Toronto pick, at a minimum. We’re ed if it doesn’t work out, and Victors championship window closes in his early 20s. No one comes here as a FA, and we will have no way to get a high draft pick.

We need an opportunistic scorer PG who can defend at a high level and distribute the ball. Think Jrue Holiday, Brogdon type. Then you get a scoring wing, and a high level SG with your high picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atlanta is going to want all of their picks back, plus our pick this year, plus the Toronto pick, at a minimum. We’re ed if it doesn’t work out, and Victors championship window closes in his early 20s. No one comes here as a FA, and we will have no way to get a high draft pick.

We need an opportunistic scorer PG who can defend at a high level and distribute the ball. Think Jrue Holiday, Brogdon type. Then you get a scoring wing, and a high level SG with your high picks.
    We have a bad roster crunch coming up, but that'll be figured out. There's no way I trade those unprotected ATL picks for anything. We can find scoring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have a bad roster crunch coming up, but that'll be figured out. There's no way I trade those unprotected ATL picks for anything. We can find scoring.
    This.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young would be a good fit, but they really should resist draining their asset pool now. Murray would be a good fit, and cost less, but also not the long term solution. It’s an interesting hypothetical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have 2 first rounders coming in, in all likelihood.

but mcdermott, osman, graham, mamu are gone. they probably pick between bassey and barlow for the 3rd C spot behind collins. really hoping they dont actually make 3 second round selections unless they feel they can get at least 2 of 3 on two-way deals

and thats assuming there are no outgoing players in trades, not that anybody besides wemby should be off limits

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100%

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1...ray-trae-young

1. The San Antonio Spurs Should Make a Big Trade (Eventually)

You ever think about getting back with an ex? That’s what the Spurs are reportedly considering right now. In recent days, both The Athletic’s Shams Charania and ESPN’s Zach Lowe said the Spurs have registered interest in acquiring Dejounte Murray from the Atlanta Hawks. It makes sense. Victor Wembanyama hasn’t benefited from playing with a high-level point guard yet, and Murray was an All-Star in his final season with the Spurs, posting a 3.5 assist-to-turnover ratio. When he’s at his best, he’s an elite defensive guard who rebounds at a high level. Though he’s not defending at the same level for the lowly Hawks, he’s made significant strides as a scorer in Atlanta. The Spurs wouldn’t have been bad enough to win the lottery and draft Wembanyama had they not traded away Murray. But following a 7-31 start to the season, maybe getting back together with Murray could be the move the Spurs need to turn things around.

After trading Murray to the Hawks 18 months ago, the Spurs own Atlanta’s first-round picks in 2025 and 2027 plus the right to swap firsts in 2026. From people I’ve spoken with, the Hawks are asking for two firsts in return for Murray, who would prefer to join a team with a chance to make an immediate playoff run. So far, no one has met their demands. The problem for San Antonio is that Atlanta’s future firsts might be too valuable to give back. The Hawks look like a team on the ropes at 15-23, on the outside looking in at the play-in race in the East. Would it really be in San Antonio’s best interest to send even one of those picks back when their value is skyrocketing?

Of course, it’s clear why the Spurs would be interested in a Murray return. Starting Tre Jones at point guard has shown San Antonio’s upside with a true floor general at the helm. In over 239 minutes with Wemby at center and Jones at point guard, San Antonio is outscoring opponents by 8.6 points per 100 possessions, according to PBP Stats. Running the offense through Jeremy Sochan was a worthy experiment to find out how he could handle an expanded role, and it helped raise the Spurs’ lottery odds in the process. But a steady game manager who minimizes mistakes is what Wembanyama and the Spurs will need. If Murray were starting and Jones was coming off the bench, Wemby would always be paired with a shot creator (in contrast to some of the awkward lineups he’s been in this season).

But as good as Murray is, the Hawks point guard that the Spurs should be chasing is Trae Young. While Atlanta isn’t seeking out deals for Young as it is for Murray, we’re moving toward a point when those intentions could change. The Murray trade was a flop. Outside of Jalen Johnson, the draft picks on the wing haven’t panned out. The team is losing. Young wants nothing more than to win a le with Atlanta, but he’s posting big, empty numbers on a team that might not even make the play-in. Unless the Hawks become more than playoff fodder, it should surprise no one if Young, who is 25 and in the prime of his career, and the franchise mutually decide that a divorce is in everyone’s best interest.

San Antonio would be a dream fit for Young. Wembanyama and Young are both elite while being on opposite ends of the physical spectrum, making them a diverse duo that teams wouldn’t want to switch screens against. Trae is one of the league’s best at feeding easy shots to bigs, which would allow Wemby to score off of rolls and cuts on a regular basis. This season, Young has also embraced playing with more off-ball movement under Quin Snyder. If he was paired with a big with playmaking skills (like Wembanyama), then he could become even more potent in handoff and two-man actions. Together, they could be one of the league’s most powerful duos on offense. And on defense, Young is playing harder than ever; he’s small and will be targeted in the playoffs, but there’s no better antidote for a weaker defender than to have Wembanyama protecting the paint.

No team has a greater need for a point guard than the Spurs, making them an intriguing landing spot for Young. The biggest question, though, is whether Gregg Popovich would want Trae, an unproven system fit, over Murray, who made significant strides with the franchise—or the alternatives of building through the draft or targeting an entirely different player in a trade. Linking back up with Murray right now wouldn’t be the worst decision for the Spurs. But the chance to swipe right on Trae is worth the wait.
    Interesting... Nobody has offered 2 1st's for DJ.... I'd give them Charlotte, Chicago, and either Toronto or a 2027 Spurs 1st. That sounds like a good bit more than they have on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have 2 first rounders coming in, in all likelihood.

but mcdermott, osman, graham, mamu are gone. they probably pick between bassey and barlow for the 3rd C spot behind collins. really hoping they dont actually make 3 second round selections unless they feel they can get at least 2 of 3 on two-way deals

and thats assuming there are no outgoing players in trades, not that anybody besides wemby should be off limits
    I think this summer will be okay for the reasons you state. The vets will clear out, mostly, and I suspect they won't take either of the SRPs or maybe just the first one. Depends on whether the TOR conveys. After next year things get a bit more dicey. Again, not a huge deal. By then we'll know whether we need to move on from Vassell/Keldon, if Sidy and/or Blake are showing enough etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insider On Hawks’ Forum Says The Latest He’s Heard Is The Framework Of A Deal For Murray Involves First Round Picks And Expiring Contracts, And Not To Expect Actual Real Talent Coming Back To ATL In Trades.

It’s Going To Be Real Epic If My Manifestation Of This Comes True.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting... Nobody has offered 2 1st's for DJ.... I'd give them Charlotte, Chicago, and either Toronto or a 2027 Spurs 1st. That sounds like a good bit more than they have on the table.
    You think they'd rather have the Spurs 2027 over a Lakers first from the post LeBron era? The Charlotte pick is just crap to let them save face but has pretty minimal value. The Chicago pick is protected top 10 in 25 and top 8 in 26 and 27 before converting to two seconds, so with the Bulls blowing everything up there is an outside but far from negligible chance it never conveys as a first either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Insider On Hawks’ Forum Says The Latest He’s Heard Is The Framework Of A Deal For Murray Involves First Round Picks And Expiring Contracts, And Not To Expect Actual Real Talent Coming Back To ATL In Trades.

It’s Going To Be Real Epic If My Manifestation Of This Comes True.
    Wonder if it's Golden State for Chris Paul, as the Warriors have all their firsts from 2025 on other than the 2030 pick they owe to Washington.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Most People Seem To Be Dismissing Is The Fact That Murray Is The Last Real Player That The Spurs Built From Ground Up… Nearly All Players Since Kawhi Had Some Semblance Of Who They Would Become In The Present Time, E.G., White Was Already A Good Player And Plays The Same Way As He Did In His Rookie Year… He Just Needed Confidence To Amplify His Game. Vassell Still Looks And Plays The Same Way As When He Was First Drafted, He Just Has More Experience Now To Pull Off His Big Scoring Performances…

But Murray?

The Way This Guy Played During His Rookie Year Looks Nothing Like The Way He Plays Today. There Is So Much Poise In The Way He Plays, So Much Control. He Also Has A Go To Move In The Mid Range And He’s A Reliable 3 Pt Shooter. Murray Is The Last True Success Story In The Spurs’ Development Program Where Much Credit Should Be Given To Him Because Of The Work He Put In. He Would Serve As The Bridge From The Past To The Future If He Were To Be Traded Here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly if that's true that Atlanta is shopping Murray for a couple of future firsts and salary matching flotsam you gotta think they're interested in just blowing it all up and trading Trae away too. Doesn't really make much sense otherwise. ROFL if the Spurs could effectively trade 2022 Dejounte for 2024 Trae.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Trae gets too much unnecessary flak. He's obviously a massive negative on the defensive end, but his offensive fit with Wemby seems borderline game-breaking. I could understand sitting pat and not making any big commitments or making the move for Trae or DJ. It's a tough call. Acting like Trae or DJ are negatives is ing stupid, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's all ATL wants then I'm definitely interested, if DJM is gonna be good with it. But I don't see ATL dumping him for later picks when they don't own any for the next three years. I guess the Spurs could give them the Chicago pick and even the Toronto one to give them some cover. The PR side would be a disaster.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is really no indication upto this point that a guy like Trae is what they are looking at. DJ fits the versatility on offense and defense they are building for. So was Primo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs can trade their own 4 first round picks. They still have 2 of ALT plus a swap. 1 from Bulls. 1 from Tor. 1. 1 from Celtics. 1 Dallas swap. The point, the Spurs could do a complete over pay and trade all ALT picks back plus and all 4 spurs picks, and still have picks for the future.

Just from what the price is for an all star young player, it's about 4 to 5 assets. D.Murray was 3.

So Johnson is an asset. Vassell wound be too. The rest of the Spurs not including number 1, wouldn't be considered an asset. The Spurs could go with Johnson+Vassell plus 2 to 3 firsts. Or just 4 to 5 firsts. That will be the price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I want Young on our team. Expecially at a high price. I. Go we can easily find a veteran pg on trade in February or free agency in the summer that gives us the same or more (in the sense of effectively improving the team) than what a young could give us... My thoughts are for example on the Orlando situation, where there are four point guards with at least three of them (Black, Suggs and Fultz) that would give us more defense and quite the same play making than young... The only thing lacking being the outside shooting (but for that we could look at shooting guards and forwards, right?)... In particular I'm looking at Fultz being ideal on our system...

Thread Information