Page 233 of 238 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 5945
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Madame Web 3/10.

Started out intriguing and then slid downhill into garbage Disney Channel level mediocrity.
    There is nary other Disney "level" & hasn't been one in a coon's age.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Great moments in film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Madame Web 3/10.

Started out intriguing and then slid downhill into garbage Disney Channel level mediocrity.
    Please tell me you had free tickets

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Please tell me you had free tickets
    Valentines day late movie after dinner. Seen everything else. We've seen worse but yeah we rolled the dice and crapped out

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    1/2 way thru the month and fresh movies are scarce upon the streams. So we watched -Play Misty for Me- from '71 by Eastwood. 50+ years later and it remains re-watchable, no problem. Donna Mills is at prime here (as his estranged girl) and she shows so fine it made the heart pound relentlessly. Her alone makes it worth the sit.

There is a sequence within this American film that is frightening as the 2 of them have tenuously reunited and are sitting upon a hillside conversing, coming to a meeting of the minds in the relationship, so it can move forward (once again), there has been an estrangement till this movie's beginning, he's a pussy hound, she "had" enough and fled North to Sausilito. Above them, 30 yards or so up, maybe a bit more within the tree line hides "Evelyn." Eastwood is the director and frames this insane woman played by Jessica Walter just splendidly using his crop of hair to hide, then in turn expose her as she spies and plots murder & mayhem.

Shot in Carmel at Eastwood's stern insistence the movie is gorgeous and well rounded, neither rushed, nor stalled...it progresses seamlessly to a culmination that is suitable...Mills lives beyond common sense (tee, hee). I wouldn't have it any other way. Eastwood company man (John Larch) does not survive.

Flack's gigantic hit in the circa -First Time Ever I Saw Your Face- is featured [in it's entirety] 2/3 in as the kids hand-in-hand take a stroll, make hot monkey love among the moss and poison ivy? Then at distance we're finally shown where God split Mill's, and it's a fine split, then they & us bear witness a blistering sunset at Carmel...& it's back to the aforementioned murder & mayhem as Eastwood takes us home.

It's wonderful. Eastwood knew.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Great moments in film.

"He's just as dangerous dead as alive."

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Great moments in film.

"...and ask that they impeach your ass!"

It's 90 seconds of film. American film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    American Fiction
    Anyone see this?

Premiering at TIFF and rated a resounding 94% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, Cord Jefferson’s directorial feature debut is “an extremely funny movie that lands some sharp blows, and a stellar feature debut” (Vox).

Jeffrey Wright (THE FRENCH DISPATCH) stars as Monk, a frustrated novelist who's fed up with the establishment profiting from "Black" entertainment that relies on tired and offensive tropes. To prove his point, Monk uses a pen name to write an outlandish "Black" book of his own, a book that propels him to the heart of hypocrisy and the madness he claims to disdain.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

Great moments in film.

Penn's finest hour.
    "The un-flyblown truth."

at 2:43 "Amen" is surreal.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Waded thru a (dog) last night, at least half way thru anyway...-Paterson- from 2016...concerning a bus driver for the city of Patterson, New Jersey and his goofy wife. Leads with Adam Driver/"Marriage Story." We're gonna finish it tonight come or high water, there has got to be a point to this endless meandering.

Amazon Prime.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    American Fiction 4/10

The point was made in 5 minutes and the rest of the story was dry and meaningless. Had some potential to be really hilarious and went nowhere.
    American Fiction
    Anyone see this?

Premiering at TIFF and rated a resounding 94% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, Cord Jefferson’s directorial feature debut is “an extremely funny movie that lands some sharp blows, and a stellar feature debut” (Vox).

Jeffrey Wright (THE FRENCH DISPATCH) stars as Monk, a frustrated novelist who's fed up with the establishment profiting from "Black" entertainment that relies on tired and offensive tropes. To prove his point, Monk uses a pen name to write an outlandish "Black" book of his own, a book that propels him to the heart of hypocrisy and the madness he claims to disdain.

Thats what the moneys for Don Draper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New York Knicks
    Waded thru a (dog) last night, at least half way thru anyway...-Paterson- from 2016...concerning a bus driver for the city of Patterson, New Jersey and his goofy wife. Leads with Adam Driver/"Marriage Story." We're gonna finish it tonight come or high water, there has got to be a point to this endless meandering.

Amazon Prime.
    Not familiar with Jarmusch?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    In the words of Effy..."I found out."

What was the purpose, Don?

---------
    ------
    ---

Though word of mouth states -Thanksgiving- while a slasher is more than that & formidable.

I'll take a look Wednesday night.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Oppenheimer on Pea :

I very much enjoyed it but the storyline about the vindictive Lewis Strauss was sort of ho hum.
    I guess I wanted more science and less courtroom stuff.
    Also interesting was the unconcerned behavior about wives and family Oppenheimer showed. Einstein had the same problem with relationships. Just not interested...
    Also Teller was not made out to be the strange character he really was as gathered in my reading of his life.

Im also not sure about Oppenheimer's wife really thinking he did not actively defend himself in the trials because of guilt.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Trainwreck 2014 Amy Schumer / Bill Hader
    6/10 had some laughs.
    Good message in the end.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Deception 2008 Ewan McGregor Hugh Jackman Mic e Williams
    meh 4/10
    Only saw the last 30 minutes but turns out that's all you need to see.
    Would have liked clarity on what became of McG and Mic e but oh well, author wanted it to end the way it did.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    In the words of Effy..."I found out."

What was the purpose, Don?

---------
    ------
    ---

Though word of mouth states -Thanksgiving- while a slasher is more than that & formidable.

I'll take a look Wednesday night.
    ...No. GIGO. I quit it half way thru. in' junk. GD it!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

The Murder of Fred Hampton
    4/5 Stars - Assembled clips from Black Panther gatherings with a focus on Fred Hampton, and law enforcement cover up tactics and how they spun his assassination to the public. Paints a very clear picture that the Panthers were fighting against the the would've led us down a better path than where we are now. Even has a good moment of them being pro 2A, given that they had/have to legitimately protect themselves from forces that operate with impunity.

Dr Stranglove
    4/5 Stars - Classic. Easy to spot the pop culture influence. Catch-22 as a movie. Vonnegut-like script

Citizen Kane
    4/5 Stars - Finally got around to this one. Orson Welles is a badass. Reminded me of Kurosawa's Ras n with the theme of visiting a shared experience through different POVs

The Holdovers
    3/5 Stars - Incredible amount of discipline in the direction of the movie. The common stylistic choice of subtlety in every aspect of the movie, from acting and script to score and cinematography. It avoids the extreme "O Captain My Captain" displays of triumph or tragedy. In doing so, the story feels grounded and tangible. By avoiding the peaks and valleys, it could feel too slow and meandering to people that are accustomed to the sugar rush. OST is full of Cat Stevens tunes

Poor Things
    2/5 Stars - Lots of hype with this one. The acting performances are all stellar. The technical aspects of the movie are all solid, as you'd expect from Lanthimos directing. That being said, the overall satirical message critiquing the patriarchal tendencies of Emma Stone's character generally requiring rescuing from some male hero... it felt generally shallow compared to his past movies like 'The Lobster' and 'The Killing of the Sacred Deer.' The market has been saturated for the past decade with movies carrying some surface level white feminist message. Probably time to leave future movies in that vein to female POC directors, in hopes of first hand experience delivering better nuance and originality.

Oppenheimer
    1/5 Stars - Nolan has to be the most overrated director of all time. Its mental that people put him in sentences with Tarkovsky and Kubrick. I'm starting to think he's self aware though, and keeps a steady montage-like pace, constant Michael Bay cuts in dialogue exchanges, loud ass "epic" score, and an unnecessarily over-stacked cast to hide his many shortcomings as a storyteller. He's great at quickly establishing a world and tension, and he consistently gets good performances out his usual hall of fame cast... and that's about it. He can't ever deliver on conclusions, and usually keeps the audience in their chair for one or two too many acts. End the movie my man, some Kubrick type of existential epiphany isn't coming out of your script, so just cut the lights after the big explosion and call it a day.
    Last edited by Proxy; 02-22-2024 at 04:24 AM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Loved Ghost Dog, need to go through the rest of his material now

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    For the 3rd time I sat down & kept still for - or High Water- 2016

A flawless motion picture event of film. Pure-American-film.

It's extremely quick, but gloriously complete as these two brothers put the screws to 'em. Not much set-up, didn't need it, just down to it. You want Pine to show, but he permits Ben Foster to shine, and I God's if he doesn't create a 4-alarm fire, repeatedly and without mercy to anyone who gets in his way, a bit like his cut -30 Days of Night- '07

He's not a year out of prison and strung higher than a kite 24/7, pure adrenaline as he spots the specter of death upon an endless Texas horizon and can't wait to get there.

Jeff Bridges is the Texas Ranger steadfast to stop the boys and his Comanche Deputy tags along, s around and as our Effy is won't to state...Finds out.

The sequence where Foster meets the aforementioned horizon is immaculate, start to finish. It's like I said; it's in' film. American film!

At the last Chris Pine is given his moment and does it proud as he and Bridges come to a full understanding that it ain't over. Not yet.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Today, by pure accident I ran into another movie co-staring Chris Pine & Ben Foster...-The Contractor-...2022.

Saw in the opening credits that Kiefer Sutherland is in this, forgot about it, watched movie and never ID'ed him therein! He's almost recognizable upon reflection. The old Keifer has aged out of his zenith. It's enough to make ya cry upon reflection.

Standard black ops materiel. Takes an hour to jump start it to life and then it's blasts off in ridiculous fashion. I stuck with it to it's culmination, but in all honesty, I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with it.

+Another perpetually mad White wife. Jesus H. Christ!

---
    ------
    ---------

I'm taking in -Cold in July- 2014 now and how is the White wife perpetually portrayed? F'in' eh, (she mad from the first in' frame). These women are mad & just over the borderline ugly.

Will review it later on tonight.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    -Cold in July- from 2014 climbs high and then falls down a long, steep hill to an end that includes and thereby consumed over Snuff Films, believe it, or not.

I was wrong about the White wife. In reality she is played by Vinessa Shaw, who was outstanding in the remake of -The Hills Have Eyes- a while back. But she is misused here and it's a shame.

*The story is staged in 1989 with all the attendant circa materiel adhered to, but to what end? Though Don Johnson's portable car phone is a GD genuine riot.
    *Sam Shepard, close to the grave is present and accounted for, but, a mystery start to finish.
    *The aforementioned Don Johnson is recognizable and works, but is a bit of a mystery as well. He drives a gorgeous red Cadillac convertible that is involved early in a small accident with a Ford Pinto. The production spends the remainder of the film hiding the car's damage to the rear quarter panel by repeatedly parking the damn thing so it's hidden, because they really didn't damage the car. Maddening.
    *Michael C. Hall is the main character and he strains to hold the position as the production veers severely as we meander along.
    *By the end it's a bloody mess and you feel like you wasted 2 hours. I wasted 2 hours.

Don't bother.
    I'll start up...-The Drop-...2014 now and will most likely fall asleep on it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Oppenheimer on Pea :

I very much enjoyed it but the storyline about the vindictive Lewis Strauss was sort of ho hum.
    I guess I wanted more science and less courtroom stuff.
    Also interesting was the unconcerned behavior about wives and family Oppenheimer showed. Einstein had the same problem with relationships. Just not interested...
    Also Teller was not made out to be the strange character he really was as gathered in my reading of his life.

Im also not sure about Oppenheimer's wife really thinking he did not actively defend himself in the trials because of guilt.
    Have you ever read Feynman's Surely You're Joking? He was talking about how depressed he was after working at Los Alamos, like he'd be at a restaurant having lunch in NYC and then out of nowhere he'd just want to jump up and yell to everyone in the place how this was all going to be gone, how the can you be talking and laughing and not know one Soviet bomb will level everything within ten miles once the war starts. If you ever want to watch a great movie about what nuclear war would look like to the people check a movie called Threads from 1984. 100% on rotten tomatoes. It's funny they were about to cancel production of the film when they heard about The Day After but then when it came out they saw how rosy a picture that movie painted and said they had to do something scientifically accurate to what it would actually look like.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 02-27-2024 at 03:50 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Dr Stranglove
    4/5 Stars - Classic. Easy to spot the pop culture influence. Catch-22 as a movie. Vonnegut-like script
    ROFL that people were coming out of that movie shocked, not knowing it was a comedy. I like that the pilot giving those corny speeches in his cowboy hat thought he was doing a serious role too. Also ROFL at Fail Safe coming out the same year with a similar plot (at least early on), but as a war drama.

Thread Information