Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas makes money by prosecuting truancy twice as much as all other states combined

Texas appleseed released a report on Texas's truancy policy and practices. The findings are alarming:

Texas currently prosecutes more than twice the number of truancy cases prosecuted in all other states combined. These students are sent to adult criminal courts, unlike almost all other states, which send them to civil juvenile courts.

While some Texas school districts have implemented effective school- and community-based programs to address truancy, these approaches are not the norm. Children rarely get the individualized attention that research suggests is most effective in intervening with truant youth.

• Four in five children sent to court for truancy are economically disadvantaged, according
    to TEA—yet fines are the most common sanction for children charged with truancy.

• Due process protections are often ignored in the courts where these cases are prosecuted, with children (who are rarely represented by counsel) pleading guilty or no contest to charges they often do not understand, even when they may have a valid defense.

• In some jurisdictions, judges order children charged with truancy to withdraw from school
    and take the GED; this resulted in 6,423 court-ordered dropouts who failed the test over a three-year period—a number likely to grow significantly in the face of plunging passage rates for the GED.

African-American and Hispanic students are overrepresented in truancy cases statewide, as are special education students. Finding more effective ways to intervene with these youth is critical, since these students are among those most vulnerable to poor educational outcomes.

The only other state to apply criminal justice to truancy is Wyoming. If you're running your state with policies championed by the legislators of Wyoming you're basically living in a prison state. Here's an example of how this super brilliant system works:

Raquel was 14 when she had her first hearing in truancy court. She says she knew what “truancy” meant but was confused when the judge asked her to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. “I was looking at my mom for all the answers, and she couldn’t talk,” Raquel remembers. Children charged with truancy, unlike those facing more serious crimes, have no right to court-appointed counsel if they can’t afford it, and many judges will not allow parents to speak for their children. A frustrated but helpless Yolanda says: “You’re standing there in silence. You want to say something, but you’re not allowed.”

Yolanda and Raquel are poor. This was followed by three more court cases, a conviction, and a $180 fine and court cost decision. They didn't have that money.

In September, with $107 still unpaid and two more unexcused absences, she was summoned to court again. This time, the judge ordered her to do community service in lieu of paying the fine and threatened to hold her in contempt of court if she missed any more days of school.

On Feb. 19, 2014, he followed through on that threat, and sent Raquel to Dallas County’s Truancy Enforcement Center.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...-else-combined

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slander On The Cuyahoga: What Cleveland Police Tried To Do

Here's the kind of thing that Trey Gowdy and Sheriff David Clarke would rather you not think about.

Back in May, a Cleveland police officer named Timothy Loehmann rolled up on a 12-year old boy named Tamir Rice, who was in a public park with an air rifle. In less than a minute, Loehmann sized up the situation and shot the boy to death. And today, thanks to Shaun King at Daily Kos, we learn that the first impulse of the Cleveland P.D. was to charge the dead boy with crimes. And, if there wasn't video, they would have gotten away with it.

Recently obtained do ents from the Cleveland Police Department, displayed below, show that Tamir Rice was going to be charged with the outrageous crimes of "aggravated menacing" and "inducing panic."

This should embarrass any sentient primate. The officers involved in the killing of Tamir Rice took less than a minute to kill him and considerably more time concocting the preposterous cover story that, in less than a minute, they felt so "menaced," and so much "panic" had been "induced" in them that Rice had to be put down like a dog. What are these especially delicate blossoms doing in the police business in the first place?

This is the kind of thing that was supposed to be the point of the hearings before the House Judiciary Committee this week. Not merely the hairtrigger response of an incompetent cop, but
    the conditioned reflex inbred in too many of them to cover up their crimes. That is not a "problem" among some bad apples. That impulse drives a culture of deadly corruption.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...l-of-the-dead/

The bogus criminal report for Tamir is below.

Notice the following three points.

1. They list three victims of Tamir Rice:

a. The State of Ohio

b. Officer Loehmann (who shot and killed Tamir)

c. Officer Garmback (who drove the vehicle)

This is essential. They are not claiming Tamir was a menace or induced panic to other people in the park, but to the officers. ABSURD.

2. At the end of the report, notice that they say this complaint was "abated by death."

3. Notice the officer who shot and killed Tamir claims to have had minor injuries.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/0...nducing-panic#

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cops slaughter 2 unarmed blacks

Ohio Patrolman Acquitted In 2 Deaths Amid 137-Shot Barrage

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mi...+%28TPMNews%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

WATCH: Virginia cop uses pepper-spray, Taser on unresisting black man having stroke

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/watc...having-stroke/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cleveland cops involved in 137-shot barrage claim they're victims of discrimination

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/24/8652603...police-lawsuit

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas SWAT breaks 81-year-old man’s hip, family finds him lying in his own feces: lawsuit

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/texa...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    no charges for cop who killed unarmed mexican immigrant.

Do you even watch the videos before you post them?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Photo shows rifle-toting Chicago cops posing with a black drug suspect like a hunting trophy

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/phot...e+Raw+Story%29

... if he had been white?

To Serve And Protect

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Body cam video catches Barstow cops slamming black pregnant woman to ground, letting white woman go free

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/body...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Photo shows rifle-toting Chicago cops posing with a black drug suspect like a hunting trophy

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/phot...e+Raw+Story%29

... if he had been white?

To Serve And Protect

To be fair at least the cops aren't pointing their guns at the unarmed black man, all the black guy had to do was take part in a racist pic.

at the police board needing to go 5-4 to uphold the firing, should have been a no brainer and it barely got upheld.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Amazon Taught the Cops

cops of the future will be able to use complicated statistics to racially profile people in their homes. In the summer of 2013, for instance, the Chicago Police Department implemented a pilot program intended to reduce violent crime.

It used an algorithm developed by an engineer at the Illinois Ins ute of Technology to generate a “heat list” of roughly 400 people who were most likely to become perpetrators or victims of violence.

Cops tracked down some of these individuals, showed up at their homes, and warned them they were being watched. Similar programs using technology have been tested in recent years, all under the rubric of what’s been called “predictive policing.”

http://www.thenation.com/article/208...n-taught-cops#

Predictive policing not applied to the financial sector?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Complaints Rise Against Nation’s Railroad Police

Since the days when Jesse James robbed trains in the Old West, obscure police forces run by the nation’s railroads have operated with the power to make arrests, issue warrants and perform undercover work.

These railroad police officers, who have been licensed by states, have been accused of physical assaults, racial profiling and harassment of railroad employees, according to lawsuits,

While police departments across the country face increasing scrutiny and demand for reform after several cases of brutality, the railroad authorities appear to operate with near impunity.

“No one knows what they do or how they operate outside of people at the company.”

Since 2009, the railroad police have arrested more than 300 residents in Overtown, a predominantly black neighborhood in Miami, on charges of trespassing. Nearly 90 percent of those charges have been dismissed.

In Oklahoma in 2010, a Union Pacific railroad police officer was captured on video choking a woman he accused of trespassing and resisting arrest.

Of the eight largest private railroads that were contacted by The Times, only two — Burlington Northern Santa Fe and Union Pacific — would provide crime statistics. They gave information only on arrests on railroad property, not on complaints or disciplinary actions against their police officers.

Federal authorities have ceded oversight of the railroad police to the states, and few states, if any, keep data of complaints against the railroad police.

a spokeswoman for the railroad, said public safety, not race, was the issue. But about 87 percent of those arrests were dropped by prosecutors or dismissed by judges.

Records show that nearly 90 percent of all of the trespassing arrests in the Miami area since 2009 were made by one officer Raul Guerra, who was fired in 2011 from the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office for what the department called “a pattern of gross negligence.” Mr. Guerra could not be reached for comment.

Even some railroad employees have complained about their treatment at the hands of the railroad police, lawsuits show.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/29...ad-police.html

Police power without oversight or accountability, ALWAYS a great combo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7423386.html

Breaks down cash totals payed out by tax payers for cop misconduct.

LAPD, NYPD ,Cleveland

every one loses: people that aren't getting their ass whooped by warrior cops still having to pay for cop misconduct. They get usually get paid vacations while the incidents get reviewed.
    Last edited by cd021; 05-29-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cop Caught On Video Telling Black Teen ‘If You With Me, I’m Going To Break Your Legs’

“Can you tell me why I’m being arrested?” Hamza Jeylani asks an officer in a video captured on his cell phone.

“Because I feel like arresting you,” the officer, who the American Civil Liberties Union identifies as Officer Rod Webber, replies in the short video.

This exchange happens after Webber calmly threatens Jeylani, who does not appear to be offering any resistance whatsoever.

“Plain and simple,” Webber tells Jeylani, “if you with me I’m going to break your legs before you even get a chance to run.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ng-break-legs/

Bad news: the 4 guys were black

Good news: cops murdered none of them (yet)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    racism doesn't exist, it's created by media inflaming black people into anger

Conservative broadcaster ‘whitesplains’ to caller the media has turned him into an ‘angry black man’

white female host who told him that the media was to blame for turning him into an “angry black man.”

Sandy Rios, director of governmental affairs for the American Family Association and host of a daily radio program, began her program by defending comments made by Fox’s Sean Hannity, who said race relations in the U.S. have eroded under President Obama.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/cons...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man shot to death in confrontation with Oklahoma troopers during flood

A man was shot to death by at least one Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper after he was told to get away from rising flood waters on a road and began fighting with a trooper, an official said on Saturday.

Two troopers who responded to an emergency call about a stalled vehicle northeast of Okmulgee, less than 30 miles south of Tulsa, saw two men trying to move a pickup-truck on a flooded road, said Highway Patrol spokesman Captain Paul Timmons.

The troopers told the men to walk to where they were on dry land, and when they did as ordered a fight broke out and one trooper was pushed to the ground, Timmons said.

At least one and possibly both troopers opened fire, and one of the men who had been pushing the truck was shot to death, Timmons said. He could not say if either of them was armed.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/man-...e+Raw+Story%29

Don't Mess With white boy
    Nehemiah Blessed Fischer while he's trying to save his truck.

Shoot first, last, always, because you're immune to prosecution and your bad and good cop buddies will always lie for you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seems to be mindless fad among police forces nationwide, probably ignorant, herd mentality.

"I ain't a cop if I don't kill someone. Every cop does it."

U.S. Police Have Shot Dead 385 People In Five Months: REPORT

U.S. police have shot and killed 385 people during the first five months of this year, a rate of more than two a day, the Washington Post reported on Saturday.
    The death rate is more than twice that tallied by the federal government over the past decade, a count that officials concede is incomplete, the newspaper said.
    The analysis is based on data the Post is compiling on every fatal shooting by police in 2015, as well as of every officer killed by gunfire in the line of duty.

Federal Bureau of Investigation records over the past decade show about 400 fatal police shootings a year, or an average of 1.1 deaths a day. Reporting of shootings by police agencies is voluntary.

But the Post's analysis indicates the daily death toll for 2015 is close to 2.6 as of Friday. At that pace, police will have shot and killed nearly 1,000 people by the end of the year, the paper said.

The Post's analysis showed that about half the victims were white, half minority. Among unarmed victims, two-thirds were black or Hispanic.

The victims ranged in age from 16 to 83. More than 80 percent were armed with potentially lethal objects, mostly guns. Ninety-two victims were identified as mentally ill.
    Police are authorized to use deadly force when they fear for their lives or the lives of others. Three of the 385 fatal shootings have resulted in an officer being charged with a crime.

Current and former police chiefs and other criminal justice officials told the Post police must begin to accept responsibility for the killings. They said that many deaths could be blamed on poor policing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...ml#slide=start

To Protect (our asses) and Serve (you yours in coffin).

Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-31-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kentucky police shipped mentally ill inmate to Florida by Greyhound bus — then charged him with escape

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/kent...e+Raw+Story%29

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Look no further than Baltimore to see what a world without the warrior cops would look like.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look no further than Baltimore to see what a world without the warrior cops would look like.
    Baltimore cops "on strike", refusing to their jobs correctly, correctly meaning NOT rogue, warrior policing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, like the UK, where all the cops sit around and scratch their asses. Look at all the violence and destruction that has been caused because of the lack of police control

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Baltimore cops "on strike", refusing to their jobs correctly
    More like unable to do their jobs correctly.

"Our officers tell me that when officers pull up, they have 30 to 50 people surrounding them at any time," Batts said.

Batts provided more details at a City Council meeting Wednesday night, saying officers now fear getting arrested for making mistakes.

"The criminals are taking advantage of the situation in Baltimore since the unrest," Ryan wrote. "(Police) are more afraid of going to jail for doing their jobs properly than they are of getting shot on duty."

https://news.yahoo.com/baltimore-res...083758282.html

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Yeah, like the UK, where all the cops sit around and scratch their asses. Look at all the violence and destruction that has been caused because of the lack of police control
    Yeah, if only we could have a massive child rape, child abuse, and human trafficking scandal like they do in the UK

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-s...shire-28939089

Or steadily increasing violent crime rates, for that matter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...and-Wales.html

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    have you checked your violent crime stats in the last five years

Thread Information