Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But I want to argue. Can we argue?

No but really. Nothing I said implied that I think Manu and Tony will play at levels from 3-5 years ago (not sure where that came from). I just have a different opinion on the present degree of relevance for the guys 11-15 on the roster. I'm more concerned with Dedmon. He has to perform well for the bench (6-10) to have a significant edge. If he falls flat on his face and is the 2016 version of Jackie Butler, then the Spurs will have to assess their assets to see what they can get on the trade market or see who gets bought out.
    You're my guy so I know where you come from most of the time. I got the 3-5 year thing from something you referenced earlier (about their health maybe). I'm not just talking about guys 11+ either. Guys 9-11 will play solid minutes and even those are questionmarks somewhat (not to the point it's worrisome).

Dedmon will be big and so will Lee. He's going to get PT and my "concern" is Pop and yo-yo's in the lineup and will he have patience to bring guys along and live with some mistakes?

It's a tricky spot for Pop and will be a big test.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon is worrisome. I personally don't like Lee, but it is what it is. I should be grateful we have him and he can help some. It's better to have him than to not have him. But the bench bigs do worry me, more than the perimeter guys. Despite all the new members in the team, for me it is actually these 2 questionable vets I have doubts about.

Anyways, I agree with DPG it will be up and down. Pop himself said it would take about a month to gel, and that is assuming he keeps guys he wants getting repe ions together on the court. If he cycles endlessly I am sure he will find a winning combination at some point, but it could look haphazard at times. I have my own su ions of who is going to fall on their face and who will not, but we all vary in predictions and predilections, anyways. I will bump your posts DPG when all the cliff jumping starts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't say I didn't warn people. Even when the Spurs win (which I anticipate plenty of) because of the nature of what I'm talking about it's not going to be easy.

Spurs fans have been mega spoiled. It's not just winning we've come to expect, but blowing teams out. Spurs fans aren't really used to blown leads and close games and wild swings because the bench coughs up leads.

It's going to happen even in wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't say I didn't warn people. Even when the Spurs win (which I anticipate plenty of) because of the nature of what I'm talking about it's not going to be easy.

Spurs fans have been mega spoiled. It's not just winning we've come to expect, but blowing teams out. Spurs fans aren't really used to blown leads and close games and wild swings because the bench coughs up leads.

It's going to happen even in wins.
    Yes spoiled indeed.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm honestly not worried about 50 wins unless Danny or others stay injured for a prolonged time. I think the team will win it will just be Bertans looking great one game, then terrible the next for example. Not that it will cost SA games every time, but finding consistency with young/new guys will be hard to come by early.

Most of the time when you are really young, you aren't expected to play for a contender. The SL is fine and vets- but other than Manu/Patty (and Lee, but new to the system) they all are relative noobs. I think there is a ton of potential and I think wins will be plentiful. Just more of a rollercoaster and those days of really large margins of victory may be over for a little while.

Heh. I was worried as about 50 wins during SL and the first part of pre-season. I guess the difference between us is that I don't really believe the Spurs are serious contenders this year. They're too weak at both 1 and 5 for that, IMO, even if the bench really gets their together. , they could wind up being the third best team in the NBA, if things go right. But getting past both GSW and Cleveland? Not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if Spurs had this same team back than Spurs would win a championship....Spurs fans are spoiled.....Back than guys like lee...Paul Gasol .....LMA.....wouldn't even come to SA.....Spurs fans have always wanted the big free agent and it never happened.....But now Spurs have talent on the roster and they still complain.....Yes spoiled Spurs fans...Love you guys but people don't appreciate nothing....Happy to have these guys on the Spurs .....Yes things are different now in the NBA....but the Spurs have a solid team to contend....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans have been mega spoiled. It's not just winning we've come to expect, but blowing teams out.
    In the past.

After Tim retirement, everyone has lowered expectations, also most part of the media is expecting for a Spurs' collapse. I guess most Spurs fans would be more than happy if this team gets 55 wins in the season playing 80 close games

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're my guy so I know where you come from most of the time. I got the 3-5 year thing from something you referenced earlier (about their health maybe). I'm not just talking about guys 11+ either. Guys 9-11 will play solid minutes and even those are questionmarks somewhat (not to the point it's worrisome).

Dedmon will be big and so will Lee. He's going to get PT and my "concern" is Pop and yo-yo's in the lineup and will he have patience to bring guys along and live with some mistakes?

It's a tricky spot for Pop and will be a big test.
    Yeah I was speaking in jest. No worries. You're my guy as well. #hugs

My expectations have lessened from previous years. I just think Cavs and Warriors are on a level by themselves -- and it's not really close. We don't have the personnel to defend them and Gasol/Aldridge aren't dominating enough inside to make them pay. Both of their offensive games revolves a lot around the long two or midrange.

They'll win 55+ games, make it to the 2nd round at least and have a shot at the WCF -- where they might get 1 from the Warriors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jabari Young could predict that the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning, and I'd still have to hear it from a more credible source.

Showed that to a FO friend of mine and he literally LOl'ed at the truth of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the past.

After Tim retirement, everyone has lowered expectations, also most part of the media is expecting for a Spurs' collapse. I guess most Spurs fans would be more than happy if this team gets 55 wins in the season playing 80 close games
    Well, you have more faith in Spurs fans than me . You're right, what you described is what should happen, but I still think there will be panic in the streets from fans.

Thread Information