Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another nice thing about Gervin is that, like Wembanyama, he was rail thin, but was a relative iron man for a decade. Between the ages of 22 and 33, he never played fewer than 72 games in a season and had seven seasons of 80 or more games. Obviously they're not the same, but sometimes looks and expectations can be deceiving when trying to prejudge durability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved Ice, but in today's game, you HAVE to shoot the 3 with good percentage and volume, or you're relegated to DeRozan status.
    Agreed. But I think had shooting the three would have been an expectation at any point in Ice's playing days he would have been able to adjust his range to compensate. DeRozan isn't nearly the shooter Gervin is, and George could have easily added the extra yardage to his shot to be a force in today's game. DeRozan is a mid-range guy because the three point line is beyond his touch. I'm convinced the Iceman could have honed the 3-point shot into his game had it been necessary or expected.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 09-06-2023 at 01:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ice was such an incredible shooter, and so good at scoring through contact that he would have dominated in today's NBA with today's rules. I can't really think of anyone with Gervin's level of touch in today's game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had this pop up in my youtube recommendations so figured I'd post it

I attended that actual game with the Bucks - my Dad took me. I think it was a triple OT game and Ice was at the peak of his powers. Notice how many of those shot don't touch the rim AT ALL. I just confirmed that's the one I attended 171-166. 21-31 in 56 minutes. Mike Mitc - a fantastic player that is kind of lost in the shuffle due to the Admiral/Duncan eras got 45 in that game too. A wonderful memory for me.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I attended that actual game with the Bucks - my Dad took me. I think it was a triple OT game and Ice was at the peak of his powers. Notice how many of those shot don't touch the rim AT ALL. I just confirmed that's the one I attended 171-166. 21-31 in 56 minutes. Mike Mitc - a fantastic player that is kind of lost in the shuffle due to the Admiral/Duncan eras got 45 in that game too. A wonderful memory for me.
    Mike Mitc is awesome. I have a game worn road jersey of his. And Johnny Moore's home warmup jacket. Wish the Spurs would bring back that old school home jersey with the two Spurs on the side. That one plus the black on black road were the baddest uniforms in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mike Mitc is awesome. I have a game worn road jersey of his. And Johnny Moore's home warmup jacket. Wish the Spurs would bring back that old school home jersey with the two Spurs on the side. That one plus the black on black road were the baddest uniforms in the league.
    The Black "San Antonio" jersey was brought back last year and I like that one a lot. Mitc was a scoring machine - the 81-83 Spurs (with a little luck) could have played in the finals - they were really good and had the stinkin' Lakers in the way..... I'm gonna watch that Ice video you posted too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitc Jr. trained my eldest

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitc Jr. trained my eldest
    Hope they at least used a condom on him

Thread Information