Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that wingspan pretty much guarantees he'll have an nba career. May be worth the reach at #8

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Edey at 8 is a stretch. If the spurs were to trade back into the first round for a player like Edey that wouldn't be a bad investment but a lottery pick seems excessive.

I think Edey is a talented player but not at 4 or 8.

Who ever picks him gets a player who should have a player with a higher floor. We'll see how individual workouts work for him and that will tell a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that wingspan pretty much guarantees he'll have an nba career. May be worth the reach at #8
    True. Hashem Thabeet had a great wingspan and he had a great career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Hashem Thabeet had a great wingspan and he had a great career.
    nowhere near as good and he would have if he didn't foul all the time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Edey any higher than like a an early 20s pick because he seems pretty limited to me especially in a playoff setting, but I'm willing to go down this thought exercise because I'm bored. Edey's big advantage is that he's potentially a very efficient post scorer who can beat basically anyone 1 on 1 in the low post. He has a questionable jumper. On the other side of the ball, he's incredibly limited because even though he's more mobile than a guy like Boban, his size still makes his lateral quickness a liability, however he would probably do ok in drop. So in order to provide value, he has to punish smaller bigs on offense more than modern offenses can punish him on defense.

So far, the best example I can think of of a limited defensive archetype who forces you to adjust to his prolific post scoring is Alperen Sengun, so there is a precedent for this kind of player succeeding. I guess if you believe in Edey's passing chops improving down the line (still a negative AST:TO as a senior) then you have an argument especially if your team didn't have Wemby on it. I personally think though that if you're going to play a guy who can't space with Wemby, he really has to be a better interior passer with better vision than what Edey has shown. I'd certainly take him as a late first rounder to be one of the best backup bigs in the league, but probably not as a starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People act like bigs don’t continue to dominate the league.
    Yes, the 3pointer has changed the game, and we had a dry spell of elite bigs for a quick Golden State minute, but regular order has been restored.
    The last 6 MVPs were elite bigs.
    3 of the last 4 champs featured elite bigs.
    Unless you have Curry (or a lucky string of injuries to your opponents) you have a hard time lifting a trophy without an elite big.This is why Boston keeps coming up short despite a stacked roster. Maybe this year finally?
    Wemby and Chet are redefining what a big is but they’ll carry it forwards.
    Meanwhile a slow stiff big like Jokic is the best player on the planet.
    No one is questioning whether Eddy will score a lot in the NBA.
    If a team decides to build around him and endure the learning curve on defense he will do well.
    Giannis isn’t a big, he’s a wing, so that leaves one guy who has ungodly passing and shooting skills, and one oft injured guy who can shoot like a guard. Does Edey do any of these things? No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s Boban,minus the shooting and passing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s Boban,minus the shooting and passing.
    quite likely.. which could be worth this years #8 imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    quite likely.. which could be worth this years #8 imo
    Boban was an unsigned FA who hit the league at age 28, has never played 15 minutes per game, and has eight seasons where he didn’t play double digit minutes. Someone who lacks several of his major skills shouldn’t be a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A fit for Edey that I think would make a lot of sense, if the Pelicans opt to wait until next year for their pick, is the Lakers at 17

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prior to the NCAA tourney most mocks had Edey as a 2nd rounder. Yeah, but lets drop #4 on him because he punked Clingan one night and ran fast and loud at the combine.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prior to the NCAA tourney most mocks had Edey as a 2nd rounder. Yeah, but lets drop #4 on him because he punked Clingan one night and ran fast and loud at the combine.
    Twin towers tho

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny how a ton of basketball experts on this board swore a Vic and KP couldn’t work but we all now know that wasn’t true! I’ll do a wait and see on this; for what it’s worth “ I “ think it could work in a big way because we have Vic.
    I thought people swore Vic and KP couldn't work because porzingis can't stay healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s funny how a ton of basketball experts on this board swore a Vic and KP couldn’t work but we all now know that wasn’t true! I’ll do a wait and see on this; for what it’s worth “ I “ think it could work in a big way because we have Vic.
    KP is a completely different player than Edey. He has actual perimeter skills, shooting, ball handling and such. Comparing them because they’re both tall is the laziest kind of analysis possible.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have a lot of dumb here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs absolutely need to find a good backup C but you don't waste a lottery pick on one when you have a generational one starting tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In theory at least, Sarr would be a much better fit with Vic than either Clingan or Edey. That's really just because he at least fancies himself as a jump shooter. Since the Spurs are very unlikely to be in position to draft Sarr, we end up with posts like this. Also, the better Minnesota does playing tall ball, the more we'll probably see this opinion.

But Wemby's advantage is not his size, it's his mobility. Nobody that tall has ever been able to move like him, and this is why playing him at C is such an unfair advantage. If you ask him to play as essentially a jumbo wing like KAT next to a plodding C like Clingan or Edey, you're putting a lower ceiling on what this team is eventually capable of.

The goal should be a hyper-versatile team on both ends, which means guys like these plodding dinosaurs should be limited to bench roles (playing behind Vic and only occasionally/situationallly beside him). And using a lottery pick on a guy who you can't imagine starting for your team is just not a good idea, especially when Victor should be playing 36mpg or more for the foreseeable future

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just don’t let okc get him….. there will be a lot history being re-wrote in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs absolutely need to find a good backup C but you don't waste a lottery pick on one when you have a generational one starting tbh.
    True, stats don’t lie.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/...-antonio-spurs

When Sochan and Johnson rebound average is higher than Collins and Mamu, there is a problem.

Through trade or draft, Spurs need serviceable centers to help backup Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, stats don’t lie.

When Sochan and Johnson rebound average is higher than Collins and Mamu, there is a problem.

Unfortunately Collins contract kind of locks up the ability to do a lot at the position, at least until such time he is traded (but I wouldn't look to pay significant assets to trade him at this point). Bassey, if he can stay healthy, is an ideal fit both on the court and contract wise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought people swore Vic and KP couldn't work because porzingis can't stay healthy.
    I’ll bump that thread to refresh thy memory You giving some these clowns to much benefit of the doubt.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have a lot of dumb here
    Couple that with no humility and you got yourself a damn clown show!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately Collins contract kind of locks up the ability to do a lot at the position, at least until such time he is traded (but I wouldn't look to pay significant assets to trade him at this point). Bassey, if he can stay healthy, is an ideal fit both on the court and contract wise.
    Don't the Spurs have about 20 million in cap space? How does his contract affect anything?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't the Spurs have about 20 million in cap space? How does his contract affect anything?
    How much do you want to invest in the backup center position? You ready to move a $17MM/yr guy to the third string?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, stats don’t lie.

At relying on counting stats without context in '24.

Sochan and Johnson average significantly more mpg than Collins and Mamukelashvili, so naturally they're going to average higher rpg.

Look at rebound % or rate and it's unsurprisingly a different story. Mamukealshvili = 17.6, Collins = 13.1., Sochan = 11.7, Johnson = 10.

Thread Information