Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    dude you had your chance to destroy Celtics dynasty in 62, your Selvy the bed on dat JS with 5 sec left...

Well before 28 there was 5 if not for dat 5 I would be sitting on a -1 instead of a +1

You had your chance but Baylor 61 points were not enough to bring you home, that's your cross
    Red Auerbach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn't interview without being compelled to do so. But, it was an openly racist Media then, unlike now where the racism is suppressed. So Media punished him during his career & then took their vengeance after he retired. He understood Media for the vermin they were & are, but, he paid a price for that opine and the behaviors that it wrought.
    You start out in 1954 by saying, "Niqqer, niqqer, niqqer." By 1968 you can't say "niqqer" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a of a lot more abstract than "Niqqer, niqqer."
    Lee A er - Former Republican Party "strategist"

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lee A er - Former Republican Party "strategist"
    We ain't been whole since A er died.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem wa an a-hole

Nobody was standing up to him despite the fact he destroyed faces with his sharp elbows and threw cheap shots

Then one day, a scrub center who had enough punched him hard in the face

He was ejected, but boy, did Kareem deserve it

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kareem wa an a-hole
    You don't win 6 NBA les without being an asshole.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kareem was a beast. He was schooling Olajuwon even at 40.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mauricio slurping Kareem.... I had no idea they broadcast games back then in Mexico

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTH you talking about? Hakeem (and Sampson) destroyed him in 86. Kareem got some points, but couldn't handle the physical Hakeem down low, and got bullied like he got bullied by Moses in 83.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    WTH you talking about? Hakeem (and Sampson) destroyed him in 86. Kareem got some points, but couldn't handle the physical Hakeem down low, and got bullied like he got bullied by Moses in 83.
    You're full of , Kareem dropped 43 and 46 on Olajuwon in their first two meetings in 86

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're full of , Kareem dropped 43 and 46 on Olajuwon in their first two meetings in 86
    You clearly never saw the 86 series. Hakeem just bullied him, and it was obviously the beginning of the end for Kareem.

That series exposed the Lakers, and it got so bad Stern had to step in and suspend 1/3 of the Rockets just so the Lakers could win again in 87 and 88. and keep that Celtics rivalry alive for a few more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, KAJ is one of the toughest to rate due to a few factors.
    1) He played so long, but his prime was clearly during the watered down ABA era.
    2) He won 6 les, but all of them were with the best or 2nd best PG of all time.
    3) He missed the playoffs, two years in a row for two different teams.
    4) He was fiercely private, and a jackass to boot. The media never gave him a fair shake.
    5) He was dominant in his early years, but when he got older, his defense and rebounding started to stink. Not sure if it was old age, or just the more athletic players just destroyed him.

I have always viewed him as the GOAT, even after Jordan came on board, but I am having a lot of doubts about that. No doubt he's top 5 of all time, most likely top 3 of all time, but his body of work is uneven.

All told, he is probably rightly rated. I don't see any re s out there saying Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, Duncan and Hakeem > Kareem. Kareem is mostly rated in the group of players like Jordan and Magic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You clearly never saw the 86 series. Hakeem just bullied him, and it was obviously the beginning of the end for Kareem.

That series exposed the Lakers, and it got so bad Stern had to step in and suspend 1/3 of the Rockets just so the Lakers could win again in 87 and 88. and keep that Celtics rivalry alive for a few more years.
    How old was he in 86? 38? A 38 year old dropping 43 and 46 on a younger, more athletic Olajuwon?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    the father of monkey ballin'

a great human being tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How old was he in 86? 38? A 38 year old dropping 43 and 46 on a younger, more athletic Olajuwon?
    In the regular season. In the playoffs, Hakeem dropped 40 on him, and Kareem averaged like 5 rebounds for the series.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    In the regular season. In the playoffs, Hakeem dropped 40 on him, and Kareem averaged like 5 rebounds for the series.
    Dont disagree that Hakeem dominated him in that series he was the best player period and that includes Magic, Worthy.

However Kareem at that age after a long season where he played almost every night ...getting dominated by a player like the Dream is no shame.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    BTW, KAJ is one of the toughest to rate due to a few factors.
    1) He played so long, but his prime was clearly during the watered down ABA era.
    2) He won 6 les, but all of them were with the best or 2nd best PG of all time.
    3) He missed the playoffs, two years in a row for two different teams.
    4) He was fiercely private, and a jackass to boot. The media never gave him a fair shake.
    5) He was dominant in his early years, but when he got older, his defense and rebounding started to stink. Not sure if it was old age, or just the more athletic players just destroyed him.

I have always viewed him as the GOAT, even after Jordan came on board, but I am having a lot of doubts about that. No doubt he's top 5 of all time, most likely top 3 of all time, but his body of work is uneven.

All told, he is probably rightly rated. I don't see any re s out there saying Shaq, Lebron, Kobe, Duncan and Hakeem > Kareem. Kareem is mostly rated in the group of players like Jordan and Magic.
    I love when you talk hoops great post. Pretty fair take.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Also true. but great thing about the "Cap" every time he looked buried he bounced back with some great play the next year or series.
    something he and Timmy have in common , BR and others nationally (analysts) had Duncan buried 3 plus seasons ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont disagree that Hakeem dominated him in that series he was the best player period and that includes Magic, Worthy.

However Kareem at that age after a long season where he played almost every night ...getting dominated by a player like the Dream is no shame.
    No question, I think given his age, he did very well. But then RsxPimp didn't say that, he said a 40 year old Kareem dominated Hakeem, which was just utter bull .

EDIT: Exact quote by KoolaidMan's Pimp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always heard that Kareem was a massive prick, but does anyone have any specific examples?

Just seems to me that MJ was such an asshole, how could Kareem have been any worse than him?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Im no stat guy but it was much worse than that tbh ...
    Hakeem (and Moses before him) had me thinking Kareem was DONE.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've always heard that Kareem was a massive prick, but does anyone have any specific examples?

Just seems to me that MJ was such an asshole, how could Kareem have been any worse than him?
    Both are/were same as Kobe, tbh.
    MJ though as Riles said was the ultimate con man would of been a uber sales-man.
    MJ played the "role" Kareem was not only a prick but was a militant brother.
    His book are excellent. I prefer Magic but Kareem is much smarter, deeper in life.

Magic like MJ knew how to succeed in coprporate america.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

They are different kinds. MJ had an entire PR team behind him, making him into this loveable compe or. Afterall, McDs had to sell fries, Nike had to sell shoes, Hanes had to sell underwear, and Coke had to sell, well ... Coke. Nobody dared cross Jordan publicly as players either, as those who did would be viewed as mentally weak (see Horace Grant). Jordan was a bully, but he tried to hide it behind marketing dollars.

Kareem, on the other hand, was much more respectable in his approach. He was a jerk, and he acted it. He never tried to hide it, and he ignored media and fans all together. One of his sons was very negative about him as a person, he was very arrogant to players, called Wilt a "crybaby and quitter", he never signs autographs and take photos for fans, he publicly trashed the entire city of Milwaukee when he was there, demanded to be traded to a metropolitan with a larger Muslin population.

He just wasn't very likeable, but at least he didn't try to hide it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are/were same as Kobe, tbh.
    MJ though as Riles said was the ultimate con man would of been a uber sales-man.
    MJ played the "role" Kareem was not only a prick but was a militant brother.
    His book are excellent. I prefer Magic but Kareem is much smarter, deeper in life.

Magic like MJ knew how to succeed in coprporate america.
    Come on man, on one hand you say I try to troll all the time, then you start pull Kobe out of thin air for no reason to bait me.

Just don't put Kobe and Jordan/Kareem in the same sentence. They are not the same.

Jordan was a bully, and he forced people to conform to him behind close doors. Some would lash out (Cartright/Kerr), and Jordan will never cross them again, but some just crumble and disappear (Dennis Hopson). He uses the media once in a while to push blame onto Krause, but overall, he deals with his stuff in house.

Kareem doesn't give two s about his teammates. He just wanted to be left alone when he wanted to, but praised as God around the clock.

Kobe on the other hand is about as fake tough guy as you can get. Goes after Shaq but through the media and management, "leaking" videos of rants of trading Bynum, talking about his team in front of the media when MVPau and Dwight was around. He's the guy who was enabled by management because of his marketability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im no stat guy but it was much worse than that tbh ...
    Hakeem (and Moses before him) had me thinking Kareem was DONE.

Let me repeat myself. Kareem was 38 in '86, and he still managed to keep up with Olajuwon and Sampson! To really see how impressive that is, you'd have to compare what the other legendary centers did at that age. Shaq at 38 averaged 9 pts and 5 rebounds, Wilt retired at 36, and a 38 year old Hakeem averaged 12 and 7. By comparison, Kareem averaged 23 points and 6 rebounds in 86! That's damn impressive!

Thread Information