Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA should take whatever open three he gets obviously

He was a league average 3 point shooter but that should go up with the spurs.

He should take whatever open midrange he gets. This is why he's in the team to take and make shots and provide spacing. It's stupid to limit his shooting
    Obviously he should take any open shot he has, he's a max player!

However, he should try to get open more at the 3 point line vs somewhere in a long 2 point range. The percentages absolutely favor an open 3 point shot vs an open 2 point shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is wide open on a drawn up play, why not?
    I really don't wanna see him shooting 3's like Bosh and Love...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously he should take any open shot he has, he's a max player!

However, he should try to get open more at the 3 point line vs somewhere in a long 2 point range. The percentages absolutely favor an open 3 point shot vs an open 2 point shot.
    LMA will take more threes than last year, he said it himself.

But he's going to have a combination of Long two's and threes. Realize his long two aren't dribble and shot twos like parker..It's essentially a spot up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris was notably bad on the 3 ball last season tbh
    He was only 3% below the league average and just 2% below his career average. But I'll agree that he didn't pass the eye test from three like he did the year before in that he wasn't comfortable taking them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA will take more threes than last year, he said it himself.

But he's going to have a combination of Long two's and threes. Realize his long two aren't dribble and shot twos like parker..It's essentially a spot up.
    I don't want him settling for long twos versus scoring in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he will shoot some 3's with the Spurs. Aldridge is a great all around player and if he can shoot the 3 now he's even better. I lived in Portland a couple of years and saw many Blazer games. LMA really is a little better defender than he gets credit for. IMO he always did his part, but never had a strong enough team around him. Brandon Roy wound up being injured all the time. I think he will play better than ever with the Spurs system and players around him. He is an offensive force who can finish around the paint. People always say he is soft and can't take it strong to the rim, but the truth is he puts up numbers and can get real hot sometimes. In fact I would say of all the current Spurs, he has the best ability to take over a game offensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan LMA West

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What percentage of 3 pointers would LaMarcus have to make to avoid looking like a bad shot taking chump?

Setting the bar at 33% sounds whack to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was only 3% below the league average and just 2% below his career average. But I'll agree that he didn't pass the eye test from three like he did the year before in that he wasn't comfortable taking them.
    Yeah the eye test is mainly what I was going off.
    The open 3s being passed up by the end of the season was massive tbh

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Theres a difference between long 2's for a bigman compared to a perimeter player. With LMA you get the massive benefit of the spacing he provides by dragging out one of the opposing big's which opens up the paint for Leonard, Parker even Duncan. It will be interesting to do a comparison between the amount of FG's the Spurs make inside 5 feet this season compared to last season - it should go up IMO, and hopefully so do the FG%'s of Leonard, Parker and Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting 35% on threes is the same as shooting 52.5% on long twos, in terms of shot attempt to points, and even LMA doesn't shoot that well from long two range. Ditch the long two unless the clock is running down, and take two giant steps backwards behind the arc.

It is and it isn't. It's high-variance ball. You may score as many points, on average, but 2/3 of the time you're not putting points on the board. Plus you'll give up more fast breaks on the other end. You can't afford high-variance play in a tight game, and there's a lot of those in the NBA. If you wind up winning 1/3 of those games by a slightly bigger margin, but losing 2/3 of them because you kept having dry possessions? It's not the same thing.

Thread Information