Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    and why do you have pi to 21 places in your user le?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you feel the Supreme Court case that made them change the prayer was wrong?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figured people would get pissed if I posted it to 10,000 and made every page 100,000 pixels wide tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I figured people would get pissed if I posted it to 10,000 and made every page 100,000 pixels wide tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clearly, god's will

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Do you feel the Supreme Court case that made them change the prayer was wrong?
    Not really. Again, I understand the technicalities. I understand the intent. I'm often fuzzy on the motivators behind the intent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the commentary would be if the banner read:

Our Heavenly Mohammed...

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Or for LnGrrrr....Our Heavenly Spagetti Monster.

..I know I just misspelled spagetti, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or she's pissed at herself for believing that.
    Believing what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question "why should it bother atheists, why can't they just let it be?" is commonly asked in cases like this one. The best way to test the validity of the atheist girl's position is to turn the situation around. If the school displayed a quote from the Koran exhorting the faithful to go to war for Allah (there are phrases in the Koran that say this almost to the letter), would not the townspeople be within their rights to ask the school to remove this, citing the very same separation between religion and the state?

Just because the prayer is a Christian one, and because the town has a majority of Christians, doesn't make it right. Laws cannot be interpreted to keep the majority happy. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what the commentary would be if the banner read:

Our Heavenly Mohammed...
    Damn, you beat me to it

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question "why should it bother atheists, why can't they just let it be?" is commonly asked in cases like this one. The best way to test the validity of the atheist girl's position is to turn the situation around. If the school displayed a quote from the Koran exhorting the faithful to go to war for Allah (there are phrases in the Koran that say this almost to the letter), would not the townspeople be within their rights to ask the school to remove this, citing the very same separation between religion and the state?

Just because the prayer is a Christian one, and because the town has a majority of Christians, doesn't make it right. Laws cannot be interpreted to keep the majority happy. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, etc.
    well the situation here is not much like the one you're providing. In your scenario the townspeople would not only be within their rights to ask the school to remove this due to separation between state and religion, but also because its enciting violence, something we can all agree is negative.

To clarify, I do share your point of view, I just thought the example was mas a bit unclear because of that fact.

With regards to Teyshaw, and while I respect that he's an athiest himself. Just because you're willing to live with certain injustices, doesn't make them any more justifiable.

Christian's don't want God removed from the wall, but in that same way they would not approve of any other religion's God being exalted in its place either. I think its hypocritical at the least

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Christian's don't want God removed from the wall, but in that same way they would not approve of any other religion's God being exalted in its place either. I think its hypocritical at the least
    Yeah, I have a hard time reconcilling the inconsistencies which probably why I'm trying to drag context into this like some kind of hazy filter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but also because its enciting violence, something we can all agree is negative.
    The Islamophobes all agree with you.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if the Koran quote in a public school was not about violence against non-Muslims?

Christians would very probably still want the quote removed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Islamophobes all agree with you.
    Not only that...

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War."

- George Washington

That commie Washington inciting violence is probably off limits too...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well the situation here is not much like the one you're providing. In your scenario the townspeople would not only be within their rights to ask the school to remove this due to separation between state and religion, but also because its enciting violence, something we can all agree is negative.

To clarify, I do share your point of view, I just thought the example was mas a bit unclear because of that fact.

With regards to Teyshaw, and while I respect that he's an athiest himself. Just because you're willing to live with certain injustices, doesn't make them any more justifiable.

The problem I have with your rationale is that it presupposes interpretation. A Muslim might contend that the Koran uses the word "war" as a metaphor for striving to uphold the faith, much in the same way that some Christians like to call themselves "God warriors", or like those kids at Jesus camp who're called "Warriors for Jesus".

One could play the interpretation game and claim that Jesus' message of "Repent and be saved" can be viewed as an abandonment of individual accountability. Does Jesus encourage criminals to continue their ways, because they know they have a get-out-of-jail-free card which they can conveniently play and still get into heaven?

So let's leave interpretations aside. Bottom line, as you said, Christians are OK with God on the courthouse wall, as long as he is their God. That is wrong, and worth fighting against.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I'm stunned that you seriously do not consider that passage an outright prayer. It's a somewhat sanitised version of The Lord's Prayer, which was the one used there immediately before. Maybe it would be thinly veiled enough without that first line, but come on. Seriously?
    Is a paraphrased Lord's Prayer really that bad? *shrug* Just because I don't believe in God, doesn't mean I can't recognize there are worthwhile passages from the Bible.

Edit: That said, I think taking off the six words the write suggested above would be an excellent compromise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a shame that option was either never considered or tossed aside in favor of a lawsuit.
    Link?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is a paraphrased Lord's Prayer really that bad? *shrug* Just because I don't believe in God, doesn't mean I can't recognize there are worthwhile passages from the Bible.

Edit: That said, I think taking off the six words the write suggested above would be an excellent compromise.
    I think in this case it is bad: it is an authority figure instilling the idea into a child's mind that one should need god to act morally.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It has not been mentioned as an option in any of the links in this thread (w/ the exception of the comments section of the NYT)

Feel free to explore the interwebs.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think in this case it is bad: it is an authority figure instilling the idea into a child's mind that one should need god to act morally.
    I think you almost have to predisposed to view it that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you almost have to predisposed to view it that way.
    I think you're dead wrong; the very first line of the passage is addressed to god and the prayer sounds subservient as . Addressing something to "Our heavenly father" is in no way comparable to meaningless colloquial sayings like "bless you" or "thank god".

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I certainly could be.
    On the other hand, I think you're dead wrong: The very first line is irrelevant unless you want it to be otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly could be.
    On the other hand, I think you're dead wrong: The very first line is irrelevant unless you want it to be otherwise.
    I don't see how it can be irrelevant: it's a prayer addressed to god asking him to teach us, to help us, to grant us strength, etc. "Teach us the value of true friendship" is a lot different then "May we value true friendship".

Thread Information