Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash team this year and slightly less trashy next year. They'll go as far as their stars take them, and with two choke artist midrange chuckers, they won't go far. Forbes and Gay were the best players in an elimination game 7. That says enough about this garbage squad. Dejounte isn't a savior and neither is White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next season the Spurs could easily win 55+ games, and they could easily miss the playoffs too.

The 8 teams that made it this season should be in the fight next season (in fact, the only team that made it behind us, Clippers, should improve dramatically if they land Kawhi), and then teams like the Lakers, King and even Mavs could be up there too. It will be even more difficult than this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next season the Spurs could easily win 55+ games, and they could easily miss the playoffs too.

The 8 teams that made it this season should be in the fight next season (in fact, the only team that made it behind us, Clippers, should improve dramatically if they land Kawhi), and then teams like the Lakers, King and even Mavs could be up there too. It will be even more difficult than this season.
    Yeah, though 55+ is probably pushing it. I could see more like the Nuggets this season (54 wins, 8th in MOV, 7th in SRS) on the high end. In other words, the top 4 seed that all lower seeds want to play because they know they're the most flawed top one.

I could also easily see them missing the playoffs too. This idea that Murray coming back + a semblance of continuity automatically = improvement, is silly . . .

- While it's unlikely any fall off a cliff, any or all of the "mid 3" could easily decline.
    - Murray could easily take almost or about as much away from the offense as he adds to the defense.
    - There could also be chemistry issues. One benefit to being paper thin, like this season, was it made the rotation cut and dry.
    - How will the team in general react to probably not being able to play their best 5 because of fit issues? How will one of Murray/White handle probably mostly splitting minutes and not always closing? How will Forbes and Belinelli handle less minutes? While Walker will play more, how will he handle another season as a likely non rotation player?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That starting lineup could be pretty bad offensively. I fully expect Forbes to start and White to be the 6th man.

Also Milutinov will likely eat more than up half of the MLE no way they are getting a 3 and D rotation player too using the MLE.

Agree with everything else

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
    Mills, White, Bertans, Gay, Milutinov
    Walker, Belinelli, 1st rounder, FA (deep bench)

Stashed first round pick.
    Really? How much do you expect Milutinov will ask?

If his asking price is too high, we can just use the full MLE on the 3-and-wing and draft a backup C instead. Then bring Nikola over next summer. Or use the MLE on Nikola and draft the 3-and-wing.

True, but conversely, I expect overachieving teams like Denver and Portland to regress to the mean. I don't know where we'll end up in the standings next year, but if things go according to plan, I'm almost certain we'll surpass this year's win total.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree depending on chemistry,health,luck and the rest of the West they could win around 50-55 or be in the 37-45 ranges.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree depending on chemistry,health,luck and the rest of the West they could win around 50-55 or be in the 37-45 ranges.
    It would be pretty shocking if sa got worse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think most likely they will be in the 47-55 trajectory. I think the only way they can get worse is based on a few factors. First one is that LMA starts to decline rapidly. The second one is if they suffer a bunch of major injuries. The third one is that the West as whole just gets better. Teams like the Kings,Mavs,Lakers,Clippers improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The off season moves of teams like the Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Mavs, & Pelicans will be interesting to see, and could make a huge difference come playoff time. If Durant stays, Kawhi joins the Clippers, and the Lakers land a major free agent, I can see the Spurs actually getting a little better but still finishing in a similar position next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How?

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
    Mills, White, Bertans, Gay, Milutinov

Is the likely rotation, hard to see him getting minutes barring an injury.
    I think he get's some of Forbes's & Marco's minutes

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it wouldn't and I expect it. They were lucky to win what they did this year. This team is on the decline. An injury to DDR or Aldridge or decline of any of them and they are sure to be in the lottery. Murry is not going to be a savior. No all star caliber players on the roster. White is overrated.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Injuries could happen, but they could happen to other teams as well. Look at how the PG shoulder injury derailed the Thunder. Or Lebron and the Lakers. Harden or Lillard go down and those teams lose a handful of games.

Don’t forget this team was 41-26 in games that White played, and when he didn’t play they were 7-8. Because of the Murray injury, they literally didn’t have a PG when White went down. 41-26 extrapolates to 50 to 51 wins. So the White injury probably cost them a few seeds and possibly home court in round 1.

Just like injuries happen, so can drop offs. It may not hit as hard, as Lamarcus and DDR don’t rely on athleticism as much as some others. When guys like Westbrook start to lose it, it’ll fall off fast ... Gerald Wallace style.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he get's some of Forbes's & Marco's minutes
    In my scenario, Beli is out of the rotation and White is the 6th man at SG with Forbes starting and playing around 22mpg while White eats up the other 26 mpg. I really don't see a way to crack the rotation for Walker

I could see, however, Pop being extremely cautious with Murray and sitting him on some back to backs, allowing Walker to get some minutes that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? How much do you expect Milutinov will ask?

If his asking price is too high, we can just use the full MLE on the 3-and-wing and draft a backup C instead. Then bring Nikola over next summer. Or use the MLE on Nikola and draft the 3-and-wing.
    I think something like 3 years, $16 million. I don't think the Spurs are likely to sign a rotation 3 and D player either way.

There isn't minutes for one and White, Murray and Poeltl playing big roles should beef up the D. Drafting one may be a possibility but that player isn't likely to make an impact next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think will be slightly better next season. I see only both LA teams improving plus Dallas. Portland, Denver, OKC and Houston should most likely stay the same and if KD leaves the Dubs will be vulnerable. The Jazz might get better if they can upgrade at PG.

If this team adds a 3-and-D SF with the MLE like a Demarre Carroll for example, the defense will get a lot better. They could slot in Dejounte for Poeltl and go small, so there would still be the same amount of perimeter shooting in the starting line up, especially if DeRozan starts shooting 3s. A lot will depend on White and Murray's jump shot. But the defense of a White/Murray/DeRozan/3-and-D wing/LA line up will be top notch. With White and Murray you shut down even the best back court duos, if you got a solid SF you can also make life tough on the opposing wing player and LA is pretty good at guarding big men. Add to that that at least one of Murray/White will be out there all the time and you'll also make it tough on other teams 6th man.

Life for LaMarcus should also be easier with Murray coming back, should get him more easy baskets and I assume we'll play at a faster pace and run in transition. If you leave one of White/Murray out there with the bench, you add Poeltl to that and the bench defense should be stout as well. I'm high on Walker as I see him as a prolific scorer, he just knows how to get into his spots and his athelticism makes it easier for him. A White/Mills/Walker/Gay/Poeltl line up should be one of the best benches in the league. If Walker takes a leap, having him and Rudy would give you enough scoring. Not to mention we'd also have Bertans/Forbes/Belinelli unless we trade one of them. The depth should make it easier to compensate injuries and the team got one year of playing time under its belt, they might be able to get home court advantage in the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Life for LaMarcus should also be easier with Murray coming back, should get him more easy baskets and I assume we'll play at a faster pace and run in transition. .
    first option for 2seasons now on the spurms, still the same old pos exposed in the playoffs...prefers to shoot over midgets defending him, then playing bullyball down low...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    first option for 2seasons now on the spurms, still the same old pos exposed in the playoffs...prefers to shoot over midgets defending him, then playing bullyball down low...
    name one big man in the NBA right now who doesn't shoot jump shots? And Giannis doesn't count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    name one big man in the NBA right now who doesn't shoot jump shots? And Giannis doesn't count
    Well.....Poeltl. Tongue in cheek reply. Sort of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting jumpers is one thing.

Shooting turnaround, fadeaway jumpers over midgets, as a big man 5 feet from the rim, is another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shooting jumpers is one thing.

Shooting turnaround, fadeaway jumpers over midgets, as a big man TWENTY* feet from the rim, is another.
    FIFY.

But either way, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well.....Poeltl. Tongue in cheek reply. Sort of.
    Yeah, why not mention Mason Plumlee as well. Every elite big shoots jumpers. There are some that don't and none of them are on LaMarcus level, yet some get payed the same or more money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have a lot of reasons to be optimistic that this year's team--which came within two games of 50 wins and a hair's breadth of moving on to the second round--will come back even stronger next year. Among which are:

1. The return of Dejounte Murray
    2. The continued growth of Derrick White
    3. The new guys learning to play in Pop's system in their second year here
    4. DeRozan and Aldridge continually learning to play with each other
    5. The possible addition of a high-quality free agent with the full MLE
    6. The likely arrival of Nikola Milutinov
    7. The addition of two first round picks

Barring a major injury or unforeseen cir stances like Pop's retirement, I fully expect the 2020 Spurs to win 50+ games and make the second round.
    8. The return of Tony Parker. So that when the team forgets how to dribble in game 7 and can’t score more than 4 points over a 10 minute stretch, you’ll have someone to keep you in the game and get you out of the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People say it is impossible to see Patty traded but I think the contract that they gave Patty and Belinelli was pretty generous and if with that generosity comes a bit of understanding in business that if we can ship you to make a move at a real championship just like any other team in the league would do and at this point in there careers a move with 76ers makes the most sense. Those ridiculously talented yet immature guys and the hope that Brown would welcome those guys back to get more 3 pt shooting. I do not know how we achieve one but we are one high-level, right-fit PF away from contending. Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

Mills, Belli, Gay, Bertans can go for cap room to sign Tobias Harris is my vote. Anyone else have thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8. The return of Tony Parker. So that when the team forgets how to dribble in game 7 and can’t score more than 4 points over a 10 minute stretch, you’ll have someone to keep you in the game and get you out of the first round.
    Hm. Get another guard who can't defend. Interesting theory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People say it is impossible to see Patty traded but I think the contract that they gave Patty and Belinelli was pretty generous and if with that generosity comes a bit of understanding in business that if we can ship you to make a move at a real championship just like any other team in the league would do and at this point in there careers a move with 76ers makes the most sense. Those ridiculously talented yet immature guys and the hope that Brown would welcome those guys back to get more 3 pt shooting. I do not know how we achieve one but we are one high-level, right-fit PF away from contending. Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

Mills, Belli, Gay, Bertans can go for cap room to sign Tobias Harris is my vote. Anyone else have thoughts?
    Ain't happening. Harris is a free agent and most likely signing elsewhere. Mills contract is basically untradeable unless you give up an asset with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... Contending is all you can ask for and if it is a pop-coached team you can bet we will be the most consistent for the next 2-3 years riding LMA and Derozan's late careers with White, Murray, Dejounte, Walker and One more prime PF - TOBIAS HARRIS. That would mean renouncing everyone else including Rudy Gay but keeping Poeltl, Forbes and Metu along with our 2 draft picks. With this line up we can look longterm or short term for our draft which stays inline with goals of the organization.

I'd work on a way to get Tobias Harris, sure.

Thread Information