Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, the Spurs shouldn't make an actual move until draft night. Get everything in order, but then wait to make the call to Dumars until you've guaranteed that one of the players you want is available. If pick 14 comes around and and Casspi, Young, Daye and Blair are on the board, make the call.

Of course, as someone pointed out above, the Spurs may not have what Dumars is looking for, which is a 100% cap dump to a team under the cap. If that's the case, then we are just spinning our wheels. Minnesota at 18 becomes the next most logical spot to move up to, and someone like Casspi may still be available there.

A dream scenario would be landing Carter and the 11, but I seriously doubt that is possible. In fact, I'd bet my mortgage against it. It seems to me that in order for that to happen the Spurs would have to secure another first round pick, such as #15, and include that in the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://proxy.espn.go.com/sportsnatio...ider-Chad-Ford

Ryan (NY. NY)

Is Gerald Henderson this years Courtney Lee?

Chad Ford

No. Sam Young is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I loved Courney Lee last year, was sorry he didn't drop past Orlando. I don't get the same feeling with Sam Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he was comparing Young's potential impact as a rookie and not their respective games, because I don't see that kind of comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he was comparing Young's potential impact as a rookie and not their respective games, because I don't see that kind of comparison.
    No doubt he was talking impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt he was talking impact.
    You would hope so, but I've learned not to assume when it comes to some of these guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wold love to grab sam young to possibly replace bruce

more athletic then bruce also

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just wonder how the Spurs view Young. I'm curious if they're more hot for Casspi than him? Even if they're unable to nab Casspi, Young would be a nice consolation prize.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much rather have Young than Casspi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks as though he is the more mature player and could be more NBA-ready than Casspi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. I'd not expect anything from Casspi for years, even being on the team. Young could contribute much, much faster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And we all know the Spurs need help at the SF position - NOW!

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Too good to be true that we could get an athletic small forward.

Keeps fingers crossed anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    College, NBA Draft / Jun 18, 2009

Sam Young is the next Josh Howard

By Austin Burton

*Reprinted from Dime #49’s NBA Draft Preview*

You know how Sam Young story is going to go. Sometime around January 2013, when Young is starting for a contender and his name is beginning to surface in All-Star talk, the mainstream will catch on: Who is Sam Young? How did everybody miss this guy? People’s Exhibit 397 that the Draft is an inexact science: Sam Young.

If that sounds a lot like Josh Howard’s story, that’s because it is. Look at the similarities between the two. Barely recruited at the original high schools, both went to Hargrave Military Academy (Chatham, Va.) and grew into legit D-1 prospects. They signed with underdog major-conference programs destined to be overshadowed in their own state. They produced impeccable four-year college resumes (Young was Big East tourney MVP as a junior, third team All-American as a senior). They underwhelmed pre-draft workout observers as classic “Good at everything, great at nothing” types, buried — in the only profession besides modeling and gymnastics where 24 is too old — by underclassmen with more mystery/potential. The rest is yet to be told, but Young will probably also get picked later than he’s supposed to, and will probably make somebody regret it someday.

At a rangy 6-6, 210, Young was one of the most sophisticated scorers in college ball, working that Globetrotters pump-fake, reliable jumper and strength going to the rack to buy himself 19 points a night in the Big East. Throw in sticky defense, toughness and leadership of one of the country’s best teams, and he’s got “pro” written all over him.

Young won’t make much of a ripple on Draft Night, though. He probably won’t be in the Green Room, and might wait an hour or so too long for his phone to ring. But when it does, the NBA team on the other end should be proud of itself for taking a future All-Star.

http://dimemag.com/2009/06/sam-young...t-josh-howard/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , if they're comparing this guy to Josh Howard, WE NEED HIM (minus the weed-smoking). We desperately need a SF, and not just any SF, an athletic one. RC and Pop better be taking a serious look at this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs find themselves in this predicament at the SF position mainly because the chose NOT to take Josh Howard way back in 2003. As far as I'm concerned, if this kid Sam Young, compares measurably to Howard, the Spurs MUST maneuver their way into the middle-to-late 1st round and nab this guy and don't look back. If his skills pan out as advertised, he could very well be a starter on this team by the end of next season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be very disappointed if we moved up, but took Casspi ahead of him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How could this happen? Who would need/want one or more of our old pieces?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We would buy the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sam Young-

Height without shoes - 6' 5.25"

Height with shoes - 6' 6.75"

Weight - 223

Wingspan
    - 6' 10.75"

Standing Reach - 8' 9.5"

For a comparison:

Josh Howard-

Height without shoes - 6' 5.25"

Height with shoes - 6' 6.5"

Weight - 202

Wingspan - 7' 2"

Standing Reach - 8' 9.5"
    I don't think there games really compare all that favorably but their backgrounds/path to the draft do. (Something, I really didn't consider when comparing their respective measurements.)

The Spurs find themselves in this predicament at the SF position mainly because the chose NOT to take Josh Howard way back in 2003. As far as I'm concerned, if this kid Sam Young, compares measurably to Howard, the Spurs MUST maneuver their way into the middle-to-late 1st round and nab this guy and don't look back. If his skills pan out as advertised, he could very well be a starter on this team by the end of next season.
    He'd definitely be able to contribute as soon as next year, and I'd love to see him on the Spurs, but I wouldn't be all that disappointed with Brown.

Claver's upside would be hard to pass on and Casspi's talent and apparent compe ive fire definitely have me intrigued, but the Spurs have got to way the pro's and con's.

If you take Casspi, and he comes over right away, he could probably contribute, but how much? And just how far along is he in terms of development? (Both physically and in skillset). He's been playing quite well in a league that is significanty better than the college level and seems to have all the requisite measurements and talent, but when you've got to win now, can you really take that chance?

If you take Claver, you're taking someone whose talent and potential is too great in your eyes to pass up at that stage of the draft. You've come to the conclusion that whatever contributors you need for next year are on the team, in the fold, or vets ready to be acquired.

Guys like Young and Brown are guy's you know are ready physically and more of a known quan y, overall. Safer, more picks of need, even if they do bring some upside. They're probably the type of players that are more conducive to plugging in a system and helping you to win now, so they would definitely make more sense in the shot-term. (Which, quite frankly, might be all that matters when you're talking about the opportunity to win championships)

So, it's either picking someone who might have a lower ceiling and a better potential to help you now, or taking the best potential talent available and trusting that the piece/pieces you need are in the fold or capable of being acquired.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Orleans is looking to sell their pick IIRC, I don't know if they would sell it to us though, probably not..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sold on young. I don't think he has the size to help us where we need most.

For the record, not sold on Casspi either

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Orleans is looking to sell their pick IIRC, I don't know if they would sell it to us though, probably not..
    Given NO's lust for ex-Spur players, perhaps a trade is in order?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.nbadraft.net/node/7444

I'm pretty sure this has been posted in another thread but...
    Buyers and Sellers

Expect a flurry of action on draft night, which has become the norm in recent years, and a number of first and second rounders to be sold and traded.

Teams with multiple picks such as Sacramento (23), Oklahoma City (25) and Chicago (26) are all looking to sell their picks according to sources. While three other teams would like to buy picks late in the first round: San Antonio, Detroit and Houston.

Joe Dumars has his eye on Toney Douglas and would like to pick up a late first to grab him. San Antonio is likely after Victor Claver who su iously remained in the draft, despite a lackluster and injury plagued season. No word on who Houston is after, but Rockets GM Daryl Moray was on hand in Treviso as Swedish SF Jonas Jerebko put on an excellent performance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he avaible ? Isnt he better than Udoka ? He isnt playing even in gargabe time. 2nd round pick for him ?

Thread Information