Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How would you suggest the media covers a defending champion that is on an unprecedented, historic run with the greatest shooter in the history of basketball as their centerpiece?

The Warriors are playing some timeless, beautiful basketball just after winning a le. This stuff quite simply writes itself. The media will promote anything that people will read or tune into. Right now they're promoting the team that everyone is watching.

Not sure if you guys are old enough to remember the 2000 St Louis Rams. The Greatest Show on Turf got much of the same coverage. That's how it is. You can rail against it all you want but it seems a bit petulant, considering it's nothing new and also completely unavoidable. It's also happening to a team that -- o -- completely deserves the level of praise they're getting. They're ending games by midway through the 3rd quarter right now, on a nightly basis.
    By not reminding us of this every five seconds and not plastering their faces all over their websites, all day, everyday. It's understood; it doesn't need constant repeating.

The media is stupid and never learns their lesson. The public loves this team now, but everything has a tipping point where it becomes over saturated and fatigue sets in and when this inevitably happens to them, the page views and ratings will decline with it. The fact that they're not viewed as villains also doesn't help on this front. The media is only accelerating this process.

How quickly people forget: the Spurs repeatedly ran off long streaks from '12-'14 (to a lesser extent, '11 too) where they shredded teams and had games consistently over in short order, yet it took the greatest Finals performance of all time for them to receive something close to this level of respect and it only lasted for a few months. The fact that they did it without the in their prime superstar and unprecedented luck only made it all the more impressive.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not surprising the Warriors are getting this attention considering they have started the season with a historic run, and they have the best player in the league right now. A lot of insecurity by Spur fans considering the media has given the spurs a lot of respect since winning 5. Even when the spurs went out in round 1 the media believed the spurs would be right back in contention next season and this was before the Aldridge signing. The media right now has been hyping the spurs the last few weeks as a potential foil for the Warriors. Even with all the Kobe hype this week the media has pretty much stated unanimously that Duncan is the best player of his generation. Like I have said before since winning 5 the spurs are now playing with house money. Spurs have respect its ok just to admit that you just hate the Warriors

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How quickly people forget: the Spurs repeatedly ran off long streaks from '12-'14 (to a lesser extent, '11 too) where they shredded teams and had games consistently over in short order, yet it took the greatest Finals performance of all time for them to receive something close to this level of respect and it only lasted for a few months. The fact that they did it without the in their prime superstar and unprecedented luck only made it all the more impressive.
    Spurs didn't get this type of attention

Give it a rest you ing girl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not surprising the Warriors are getting this attention considering they have started the season with a historic run, and they have the best player in the league right now. A lot of insecurity by Spur fans considering the media has given the spurs a lot of respect since winning 5. Even when the spurs went out in round 1 the media believed the spurs would be right back in contention next season and this was before the Aldridge signing. The media right now has been hyping the spurs the last few weeks as a potential foil for the Warriors. Even with all the Kobe hype this week the media has pretty much stated unanimously that Duncan is the best player of his generation. Like I have said before since winning 5 the spurs are now playing with house money. Spurs have respect its ok just to admit that you just hate the Warriors
    And the are the champions. No Spurs like championship hangover in SF.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol.. while 3 win Kobe is getting the royal treatment in the press, that's not annoying I suppose. Any time there's a story in the league, Kobe has to make some new announcement. He's either quitting, raping, coming back, leaving, throwing someone under a bus, getting a divorce, not getting a divorce, always something to pull the light back over to him. For 20 ing years he's done this but 20 games into the season the Warriors are annoying. lol
    Duncan and Dirk will get the same treatment when they call it quits so I don't know what you're so upset about

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan and Dirk will get the same treatment when they call it quits so I don't know what you're so upset about
    You're the one calling the Warriors' coverage "annoying". Duncan and Dirk will just walk away. If you think that Tim is going to announce his retirement then play an entire season, you haven't been watching Tim Duncan. Same goes for Dirk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs never won 67 games in a season with a 10+ point average margin of victory (something that hasn't even been done 10 times in the history of the NBA) before ultimately winning the le. The Spurs never followed up said le run with a 20 game win streak where their average margin of victory was 15+ ppg.

The Spurs have never played at the level we've seen GS play at for the past 120+ games or so. It's really not up for debate. Sure they've had some dominant winning streaks (one near the end of 2014 season comes to mind, plus the end of the 2012 + sweeping Utah/LAC), but given the context of GS's current streak, none have been as impressive. If you think ESPN is oversaturating people with GS coverage that's a fair assessment, but the whole "Spurs have done this several times over the past few years and we never got our credit " stuff is bull .

If the Spurs won 20 games in a row (again, by a ridiculous margin of victory) following a le and had a player on pace to have one of the most dominant individual seasons in NBA history, you can bet your ass they'd be getting a ton of coverage.
    Last edited by SpursFan86; 12-04-2015 at 11:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jersey is too heavy for him tbh

Believe.
    My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Do you know why Starbucks serves 80 bazillion cups of coffee per day?

Because they appeal to people who don't care about coffee.

The NBA makes this for people who don't care about basketball, but they're tuning in for the show anyway.

Ridiculous? Of course. That's not the debate here. But they are marketing the product that's appealing to people who would never tune in otherwise. Lots of people would never watch MMA but got on the Ronda Rousey bandwagon, and many are on the Conor McGregor hype train as well.
    this

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    "Starting to"? It was annoying from the moment the media first hopped on their s a few years ago.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan's not going out like that he'll announce at the end of a season to avoid the "I'm retiring" tour. Don't know how Dirk will do it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    "Starting to"? It was annoying from the moment the media first hopped on their s a few years ago.
    But you can't really say this isn't justified, being the defending champs and playing consistently at a very high level.

I mean they're blowing everyone out of the water.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Duncan's not going out like that he'll announce at the end of a season to avoid the "I'm retiring" tour. Don't know how Dirk will do it.
    I have no idea as well, but if he decides to do the same, he'll receive the same warm reception from the rest of the league... I mean, these are three all-time greats that we are talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you can't really say this isn't justified, being the defending champs and playing consistently at a very high level.

I mean they're blowing everyone out of the water.
    Yeah, like the media love Lob City kept getting while choking every year. And they blamed Vinny D

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, like the media love Lob City kept getting while choking every year. And they blamed Vinny D
    And then the media started turning on them because they became flopping, whiny, annoying, en led cunts. They became the NBA's version of the feminists

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs never won 67 games in a season with a 10+ point average margin of victory (something that hasn't even been done 10 times in the history of the NBA) before ultimately winning the le. The Spurs never followed up said le run with a 20 game win streak where their average margin of victory was 15+ ppg.

The Spurs have never played at the level we've seen GS play at for the past 120+ games or so. It's really not up for debate. Sure they've had some dominant winning streaks (one near the end of 2014 season comes to mind, plus the end of the 2012 + sweeping Utah/LAC), but given the context of GS's current streak, none have been as impressive. If you think ESPN is oversaturating people with GS coverage that's a fair assessment, but the whole "Spurs have done this several times over the past few years and we never got our credit " stuff is bull .

If the Spurs won 20 games in a row (again, by a ridiculous margin of victory) following a le and had a player on pace to have one of the most dominant individual seasons in NBA history, you can bet your ass they'd be getting a ton of coverage.
    I never said the Spurs have done this specifically (too bad they never had unprecedented late game/injury luck, for and against and never pushed to win as many regular season games as possible), WarriorsFan86. I was speaking more to the way in which they play. Curry is obviously the primary difference, but there are a lot of similarities.

Bull . The Spurs would be getting a ton of coverage, but not this much and the media damn sure wouldn't be cheer leading for them, nor would fans of other teams like yourself (supposedly). You're a disgrace.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see things for how they are. If the Spurs won 67 games with an all-time great point differential, and then won a le while playing injured opponents in the playoffs, you and other Spurs fans here wouldn't be saying about how they're frauds. You'd be hailing them as the greatest Spurs team ever, and talking about how dominant they were. You'd be saying "Sure, we played injured opponents in the playoffs, but look at how dominant we were in the regular season. You can only play who's in front of you."

If the Spurs followed that up with a 20 game win streak where the average margin of victory was 15 points, there'd be even more praising. People would be talking about how they have a real shot at breaking the '96 Bulls' record, and how they're one of the best teams of all-time.

But because it's a different team, you're blinded by bias and throw a fit when others give them their due credit.

"You call out people's bull 'Warriors are frauds' arguments. You're no real Spurs fan "

And for the record, I'm not cheering for GS at all I was rooting hard for Toronto to beat them today. I was pissed when the Clippers choked in typical Clippers fashion the other week. I don't like hearing the media obsess over them. That doesn't mean I can't recognize their accomplishments and realize they're playing at an all-time great level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    defending champs are off to a record start. how dare the media praise them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Wow you don't blindly attack all of the Spurs' opposition and throw all logic out the window when talking about non-Spurs teams? You're no true fan "

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny thing about all this "media" : Tim turns down big names for nationally televised ads. Kobe s to everyone. Dirk also turns those down. If Chris Paul can get a spot, you know the big Fundamental could get one, in a heartbeat, because he's been the most consistent force in the league for 20 years. What company wouldn't want that as a face?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry seems like a pretty good dude,,,no off the court raping and being a prima donna and a snitch like kobrick,,,more power to him. He and his team have earned the praise.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors play the Nets in Brooklyn tomorrow night. Nets almost beat the Dubs in Oracle. Let's see if they can get the job done at home.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs never got any credit over the years, cause there was always a pos thats not part or out of the playoffs doing stupid to get the medias attention...for example that pos kirby

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see things for how they are. If the Spurs won 67 games with an all-time great point differential, and then won a le while playing injured opponents in the playoffs, you and other Spurs fans here wouldn't be saying about how they're frauds. You'd be hailing them as the greatest Spurs team ever, and talking about how dominant they were. You'd be saying "Sure, we played injured opponents in the playoffs, but look at how dominant we were in the regular season. You can only play who's in front of you."

If the Spurs followed that up with a 20 game win streak where the average margin of victory was 15 points, there'd be even more praising. People would be talking about how they have a real shot at breaking the '96 Bulls' record, and how they're one of the best teams of all-time.

But because it's a different team, you're blinded by bias and throw a fit when others give them their due credit.

"You call out people's bull 'Warriors are frauds' arguments. You're no real Spurs fan "

And for the record, I'm not cheering for GS at all I was rooting hard for Toronto to beat them today. I was pissed when the Clippers choked in typical Clippers fashion the other week. I don't like hearing the media obsess over them. That doesn't mean I can't recognize their accomplishments and realize they're playing at an all-time great level.
    You're just another clown that lacks basic reading comprehension. Like I said: Everyone knows what they're doing and no one's saying it shouldn't be covered or praised, but it doesn't matter what the story is, there comes a point with everything where it's too much.

I'm the same guy who constantly brings up the fact that Ibaka missing the first 2 games of the '14 WCF could have swung the series. Do your homework next time before you attempt to call someone out, WarriorsFan86.

At you not being a Warriors fan. I've seen you and one other poster in every single thread I've clicked on about them in the past year, repeating things the vast majority already know and defending them to no end.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Warriors play the Nets in Brooklyn tomorrow night. Nets almost beat the Dubs in Oracle. Let's see if they can get the job done at home.
    That was a fluke, they're never getting close to them this time

Thread Information