Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does that have to do with it being a disastrous trade at the moment?
    Didn't they give Spurs a top 1 protected 1st in 2028 swap?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Wemby is the #1 option and there's a future wing who's a #2 option, I think Quickley could absolutely be a PG on a contender, especially if there are two other solid starters. IQ's impact stats over 4 seasons prove pretty conclusively that he's always a net positive player, and that's the type of glue guy you need to augment a team with two stars.
    I meant lead creator, go-to guy, etc.

Didn't they give Spurs a top 1 protected 1st in 2028 swap?
    Having to wait 6+ years, for a team set to be good long term (yes, anything can happen) for an unknown pick to possibly convey, is a relatively paltry return for a top 50ish impact player, on a team friendly contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only way a sniffer can justify losing he did not expect is to convince himself its been on purpose all along

We’re not tanking, not even stealth.
    Pop had more than ample chances to dump the last two games, and didn't. Stop with the tanking crap. It's not happening. Spurs will be as good or bad as they are on the merits of their performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only way a sniffer can justify losing he did not expect is to convince himself its been on purpose all along

I already said they fooled me for 10 games. Posting my early takes doesn’t make you look like a genius.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It used to be that teams tanked when the season was about three quarters done. There was no reason to try to win when the team was at the point of no return other than to get a better draft pick. Now the team starts tanking 5 - 10 games into the season. The players seem to be putting a real effort, the coaching staff doesn't. You can be bad from poor trades, poor draft picks, bad contracts etc., but it just seems that bad coaching decisions are making this team look worse than it actually is. I thought they couldn't do worse than last year's obvious tank job, I guess I was wrong. Even with the addition of Wemby, it seems this team has taken a step backwards and may not reach even last years paltry win total.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It used to be that teams tanked when the season was about three quarters done. There was no reason to try to win when the team was at the point of no return other than to get a better draft pick. Now the team starts tanking 5 - 10 games into the season. The players seem to be putting a real effort, the coaching staff doesn't. You can be bad from poor trades, poor draft picks, bad contracts etc., but it just seems that bad coaching decisions are making this team look worse than it actually is. I thought they couldn't do worse than last year's obvious tank job, I guess I was wrong. Even with the addition of Wemby, it seems this team has taken a step backwards and may not reach even last years paltry win total.
    Once teams started tanking out of the gate, you had no chance at a worst 3 record if you didn’t follow suit. That’s where the draft gold lies, in bulk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already said they fooled me for 10 games. Posting my early takes doesn’t make you look like a genius.
    Isn't it possible that you, me, Spursfans everywhere, the players, PATFO all believed differently too and are doing their best to win, but we just suck historic balls?

I'd say that's the most likely scenario if you look at where our defense is. They simply cannot help themselves but to lose because we are outmanned defensively practically every night.

PATFO blew smoke up everyone's ass about starting a new core. But they forgot you have to have athletic and smart BBIQ guys to do that. And simply put, we don't.

There's absolutely nothing being shown from this core group of players that shows defensive smarts, ability, or athleticism in order to make that happen.

We're ed for at least two or three more years and that's with a damn near 90% roster turnover.

I've said before and I'll repeat, the only players that have shown consistent effort, IQ, and ability on defense are the only ones that should be kept. So bye Keldon for starters.

Everyone should be considered trade bait aside from Wemby and a couple others. Time to really tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't it possible that you, me, Spursfans everywhere, the players, PATFO all believed differently too and are doing their best to win, but we just suck historic balls?

I'd say that's the most likely scenario if you look at where our defense is. They simply cannot help themselves but to lose because we are outmanned defensively practically every night.

PATFO blew smoke up everyone's ass about starting a new core. But they forgot you have to have athletic and smart BBIQ guys to do that. And simply put, we don't.

There's absolutely nothing being shown from this core group of players that shows defensive smarts, ability, or athleticism in order to make that happen.

We're ed for at least two or three more years and that's with a damn near 90% roster turnover.

I've said before and I'll repeat, the only players that have shown consistent effort, IQ, and ability on defense are the only ones that should be kept. So bye Keldon for starters.

Everyone should be considered trade bait aside from Wemby and a couple others. Time to really tank.
    There was a time when the common train of thought was there was no way the Spurs could use all these upcoming picks, because it would pretty much mean a complete turnover of the roster. But, knowing what we know now... maybe that's the plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking kind of implies we could actually win but are just choosing not to. This team is not choosing to lose. They just simply can't win and you won't convince me that this was the plan at the start of the season. I think some of you are just reaching for that because its a tough pill to swallow that either our team is so incredibly void of talent that with the greatest prospect since Lebron we're still playing a historically awful level and/or our hall of fame GOAT coach is doing such a poor job that we're playing at a historically awful level and its unlikely he gets shown the door.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking kind of implies we could actually win but are just choosing not to. This team is not choosing to lose. They just simply can't win and you won't convince me that this was the plan at the start of the season. I think some of you are just reaching for that because its a tough pill to swallow that either our team is so incredibly void of talent that with the greatest prospect since Lebron we're still playing a historically awful level and/or our hall of fame GOAT coach is doing such a poor job that we're playing at a historically awful level and its unlikely he gets shown the door.
    How incredibly optimistic of you to dismiss the possibility that it may be both

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How incredibly optimistic of you to dismiss the possibility that it may be both
    I did say and/or later. That would be ing depressing though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I lived in another part of the country, I used to follow the Warriors and the Kings.

The Kings had bad ownership, made bad draft picks, hired half ass coaches, made bad useless trades practically every year and almost moved to Seattle. It seemed no matter what they did, it was the wrong choice. They missed the playoffs for 15 years. I constantly rag on the Kings for their overall inep ude, however new ownership, coaching and players changed all that to the point they made the playoffs and things are finally looking up for them. Not once did I see them tank so early in the season and they didn't have a generational talent on the team.

So when I see the spurs doing so badly, it tells me something is wrong and really needs to change, It may be the coaching, or the tanking plans , but if either doesn't work out, the spurs may be the ones moving to Seattle in spite of the NBA expansion plans.

By the way, the Warriors won a few championships during those 15 years, doing the opposite of what the Kings did. I'm very much a spurs fan, and I know most people around here don't like the warriors, but you just can't argue with history.
    Last edited by jjspur; 12-12-2023 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are underperforming relative to last year which is the distressing part. Imo pop has just mailed it in and we are seeing the results

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are underperforming relative to last year which is the distressing part. Imo pop has just mailed it in and we are seeing the results
    The roster is nearly identical, with KBD out and Wemby in. We were tanking last year, but this year, we're just bad?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Quickley can become a good starting PG and it obviously won't happen in NY with Brunson.

It would be more logical for Spurs to go after him this summer because they might fix their PG slot with a trade or a pick during the draft. The only problem with waiting is that he could be traded to another team at the trade deadline and become unavailable this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The roster is nearly identical, with KBD out and Wemby in. We were tanking last year, but this year, we're just bad?
    You don't think replacing ing KBD with the best prospect since LeBron + another year of development for Vassell/Sochan/Keldon/Branham/Tre = any semblance of improvement?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    id been saying all offseason that we brought back the tank team + wemby

but you would expect that swapping KBD with Wemby would help

you would expect more internal improvement from the young guys getting minutes

but we've actually gotten worse

edit: Mugen beat me to it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think replacing ing KBD with the best prospect since LeBron + another year of development for Vassell/Sochan/Keldon/Branham/Tre = any semblance of improvement?
    LeBron didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd season. Losing is common with young phenoms. Durant's rookie team won 20 games. His second year team, with Russ, won 23 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron didn't make the playoffs until his 3rd season. Losing is common with young phenoms. Durant's rookie team won 20 games. His second year team, with Russ, won 23 games.
    the cavs went from 17 to 35 wins when they added lebron

the sonics got worse, but they didnt just bring back the previous team and add durant to it. they also dealt away their 2 best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis

nobody here is saying these spurs should be a winning team. we're saying they should be better than last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the cavs went from 17 to 35 wins when they added lebron

the sonics got worse, but they didnt just bring back the previous team and add durant to it. they also dealt away their 2 best players in Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis

nobody here is saying these spurs should be a winning team. we're saying they should be better than last year
    Why? So we can pick 12th? That’s for next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? So we can pick 12th? That’s for next year.
    they should be better than last year because young players are supposed to develop/improve and wembanyama is probably a better player than KBD

are we just going to have a bunch of 20 year wins then suddenly flip the switch and immediately start pushing 60 wins and competing for les? learning how to win games is valuable experience. fighting for playoff/play-in conditioning in games that matter in march/april is valuable experience. losing in a 7 game series is valuable experience.

are the players all supposed to go from... this level of play to playing high end team defense, smart passing offense, etc, all at once?
    Last edited by spurraider21; 12-12-2023 at 02:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ex, if it helps, I'm with you on the Sonics comparison because they ended up firing their old, garbage head coach in PJ Carlesimo and I hope the Wemby Spurs do the same

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they should be better than last year because young players are supposed to develop/improve and wembanyama is probably a better player than KBD

are we just going to have a bunch of 20 year wins then suddenly flip the switch and immediately start pushing 60 wins and competing for les? learning how to win games is valuable experience. fighting for playoff/play-in conditioning in games that matter in march/april is valuable experience. losing in a 7 game series is valuable experience.

are the players all supposed to go from... this level of play to playing high end team defense, smart passing offense, etc, all at once?
    no but we can control which 20 somethings get the release , and when wemby is the team, it should be timed to his early peak, which might be next year or the next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I learned the hard way is to not swipe quickly when using certain dating apps.

Thread Information