Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember arguing repeatedly about Wiggins and a lot of people called him trash and look at him now he has been flourishing

same thing with Collins he is still young he is locked up his contract is not awful I'd do that in a heartbeat. It fills a huge need and can lead to other dominos.

hate to say it but I'd trade poetrl and either use him to get a pick from Charlotte plus or get other assets.

trade other salary like McNuggets and maybe Richardson although I'd like to keep him but if you can get another asset or two it almost offsets Collins salary

you sign a Mitc Robinson

and Levine

your still ill very young almost everyone is with in the age window

you our still have plenty of picks in first round to work other stuff if you choose or strengthen your bench.

resign Walker. If you trade Richardson.

but so many other options open up you could configure it many different ways but making a 9 for Collins trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure, do it and get Lavine too

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d do 20 for Colins but only if it didn’t kill our already slim chance of signing Lavine (does it?)
    (McDermott, Richardson & #9) for (Collins & #16) would only move us back 7 draft spots, solidify the PF position, AND free up more cash to sign LaVine easier. I would do that trade. It would allow the Spurs to draft BPA with no need to focus on a position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Declining stats, injured and overpaid.

Lets keep this rolling!
    Patty
    LMA
    Gay

Let's keep this going then give Collins a buyout in 2026!
    Would be *soo classy*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks desperately need defense so I could def see this happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hawks desperately need defense so I could def see this happening.
    i'd say utah is just as desperate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a "reasonable" good deal for the Spurs would be Collins, 16 and 44 for 9 and 25. The Spurs would still have 16, 20, 38 and 40 to use, and the Hawks get improved assets for a Capela/Gobert swap. Ideally, the Spurs would trade McDermott and Landford to not use cap space, but I could see them needing to move Richardson, Collins and Langford instead if they are to avoid missing out of their potential max offering.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a "reasonable" good deal for the Spurs would be Collins, 16 and 44 for 9 and 25. The Spurs would still have 16, 20, 38 and 40 to use, and the Hawks get improved assets for a Capela/Gobert swap. Ideally, the Spurs would trade McDermott and Landford to not use cap space, but I could see them needing to move Richardson, Collins and Langford instead if they are to avoid missing out of their potential max offering.
    Spurs need to be trying to trade up not back.

Spurs need to target guys with star potential upside out of this draft, not loading the team with more role players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember arguing repeatedly about Wiggins and a lot of people called him trash and look at him now he has been flourishing

same thing with Collins he is still young he is locked up his contract is not awful I'd do that in a heartbeat. It fills a huge need and can lead to other dominos.

hate to say it but I'd trade poetrl and either use him to get a pick from Charlotte plus or get other assets.

trade other salary like McNuggets and maybe Richardson although I'd like to keep him but if you can get another asset or two it almost offsets Collins salary

you sign a Mitc Robinson

and Levine

your still ill very young almost everyone is with in the age window

you our still have plenty of picks in first round to work other stuff if you choose or strengthen your bench.

resign Walker. If you trade Richardson.

but so many other options open up you could configure it many different ways but making a 9 for Collins trade.
    When you were arguing for Wiggins, he and his max salary was trash.

Players improve. He has. He is still overpaid though, and its just that GSW are flush with cash and dont give a damn.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Rudy contract is AWFUL. Utah is going to have to attach to Rudy.
    Still, i think a Utah-ATL trade makes sense for both sides.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasnt the rumor yesterday that ATL was going to be "Aggressive" in pursuit of Ayton? I suppose the Rudy Gobert (which i actually like for them more) takes them out of the Ayton race

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Players improve. He has. He is still overpaid though, and its just that GSW are flush with cash and dont give a damn.
    That's the point instant gratification isn't always the answer. He was young would have better than DD and grew into this young team and had pop who mentored Kerr. Not saying it's a big deal just the point and if there is ever a time we need patience it's now or never. Point being you trade that 9 for Collins who isn't trash to that opens so many doors you can still offset his salary by trading mcnuggets and Richardson still have picks you can still trade a valuable asset in poetrl and move forward with more kids through picks sign a top free agent get more picks too just a whole bunch of doors can open. I'm all for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasnt the rumor yesterday that ATL was going to be "Aggressive" in pursuit of Ayton? I suppose the Rudy Gobert (which i actually like for them more) takes them out of the Ayton race
    His improvement was going from 1st option to 5th. No one pays attention to him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to be trying to trade up not back.

Spurs need to target guys with star potential upside out of this draft, not loading the team with more role players.
    Nope.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

GS is winning the championship so they are making the right moves, Spurs are getting worse every year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'd probably take something like Richardson, Langford, 9 and 25 for Collins and 16.

We can debate the permutations, but the salient question for the Spurs would likely be: How high an upside and likelihood of hitting it do they believe the Johnson, Vassell, Primo wing troika has?

Because the trickle down effect would likely be Poeltl extended and Walker IV re-signed if they can't draft a projected plug and play wing like Agbaji or Williams, so if one of them can't at least approach star status eventually, this or a commensurate trade would more than likely cement treadmill status for the foreseeable future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more I've thought it over the more I'm aboard a 9-for-Collins trade

This draft is too weak and the likely available players too limited or too raw to make a difference for years. Mathurin will probably be off the board while having his own question marks, Keegan who I don't even like is a good candidate for being off the board. I like Duren but even if he's there, will probably not be ready for 20+ minutes for a couple of seasons behind Poeltl as he learns the game.

I don't like Dyson, too stiff and upright, too limited a scorer. Underwhelmed by Sochan, not promising enough as mostly just a lateral athlete. Don't like Davis and his ballstopping, worried about Eason's feel and ability to succeed without monster usage. Mark Williams too limited. Sharpe too suspect considering it he had played be could been like Hardy or Emoni and tanked his value.

Just get Collins and have a 25 year old starter, a vertical target who shoots, rebounds, and who is a fair defender who has his moments of defensively stepping it up last playoffs.

Keldon isn't a power forward, doesn't guard anyone, offers no rim protection, doesn't rebound near as well, and is 3.5 inches smaller. Stick him at SF and keep McDermott on the bench where he belongs or put him in a trade.

Collins fits age wise with Dejounte. And if the Spurs want another 18 or 19 raw player year old to develop, just trade Murray and Poeltl while their value is high and get the tank on for real, no more half measures. Pop already has his record, don't need to chase meaningless wins anymore. Shift the timeline to Vassell and Primo and get Wambayana or Scoot or whoever next draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This draft is too weak and the likely available players too limited or too raw to make a difference for years. Mathurin will probably be off the board while having his own question marks, Keegan who I don't even like is a good candidate for being off the board. I like Duren but even if he's there, will probably not be ready for 20+ minutes for a couple of seasons behind Poeltl as he learns the game.

I don't like Dyson, too stiff and upright, too limited a scorer. Underwhelmed by Sochan, not promising enough as mostly just a lateral athlete. Don't like Davis and his ballstopping, worried about Eason's feel and ability to succeed without monster usage. Mark Williams too limited. Sharpe too suspect considering it he had played be could been like Hardy or Emoni and tanked his value.

Just get Collins and have a 25 year old starter, a vertical target who shoots, rebounds, and who is a fair defender who has his moments of defensively stepping it up last playoffs.

Keldon isn't a power forward, doesn't guard anyone, offers no rim protection, doesn't rebound near as well, and is 3.5 inches smaller. Stick him at SF and keep McDermott on the bench where he belongs or put him in a trade.

Collins fits age wise with Dejounte. And if the Spurs want another 18 or 19 raw player year old to develop, just trade Murray and Poeltl while their value is high and get the tank on for real, no more half measures. Pop already has his record, don't need to chase meaningless wins anymore. Shift the timeline to Vassell and Primo and get Wambayana or Scoot or whoever next draft.
    I'm glad you're not the GM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The thing is, he’s not a difference maker. He’s not going to take your team on his back and lead them to the Finals. When you pay guys like that, you end up getting rid of them at a higher salary, like Indy did with Sabonis, and is now trying to do with Myles Turner. It’s also the reason that ATL has him on the block. Ayton will be in the same boat in 2-3 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is the guy you get if you believe in the current Spurs team and want someone who will compliment the guys already on the roster. He fits with Poeltl, Murray and Vassell. I think his fit with Johnson is iffy since Keldon needs someone who can guard the best forward and not just PFs, but I also think Johnson's long-term fit might be as a sixth man anyway. A guy drafted at 16 could definitely be a starter soon, though I think it would probably take another year or so for the Spurs to move Johnson to the bench. I don't know who that would be, but I feel confident someone many folks consider to be in the top 10 will be there. That could be Sochan or Davis or Duren or Eason. I'm kind of hoping it's a scoring guard, but we'll see. I like someone like LaRavia at 20 or 25. He's a solid combo-forward who'd raise the floor of the second unit. I still like a defensive guard and/or center with 38 and potentially 44.

The Spurs should go into the summer with about $30 Million in effective cap space. They'd probably keep Walker's QO and their non-guaranteed deals, but I am assuming Zach Collins was in the trade to make the numbers work. That's enough money to sign a big name (like Sexton or Bridges and maybe a max with another move) or to make a couple of speculative signings like Mo Bamba or Jalen Smith. Let's assume they sign Oladipo and Smith and draft Dieng, LaRavia and Alondes Williams. The roster would be:

Murray, Jones, Williams
    Vassell, Oladipo, Primo
    Johnson, McDermott, Dieng
    Collins, LaRavia, KBD
    Poeltl, Smith, Landale

With Wieskamp and some PF as two-way guys again. I don't think that's anywhere near a contender, but seeing as they'd have all of their future picks and some tradeable contracts, maybe they could carry some flexibility into future years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, he’s not a difference maker. He’s not going to take your team on his back and lead them to the Finals. When you pay guys like that, you end up getting rid of them at a higher salary, like Indy did with Sabonis, and is now trying to do with Myles Turner. It’s also the reason that ATL has him on the block. Ayton will be in the same boat in 2-3 years.
    Don't think there will be a difference maker at 9. There's a fair chance there won't be anyone at 9 who will turn out so well that they will be making Collins money on their second contract.

If a difference maker is the goal, it's time to trade everyone over 23 and tank like crazy. Because I don't think guys like Davis or Sochan or Dieng are putting the Spurs on their backs and taking them to the finals.

Lots of people argue against making a move for Levine with the same argument, he's not great enough for the max plus the injuries.

Well he's the best there is potentially available, if Chicago even lets him walk without a 5 year max of their own.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins is the guy you get if you believe in the current Spurs team and want someone who will compliment the guys already on the roster. He fits with Poeltl, Murray and Vassell. I think his fit with Johnson is iffy since Keldon needs someone who can guard the best forward and not just PFs, but I also think Johnson's long-term fit might be as a sixth man anyway. A guy drafted at 16 could definitely be a starter soon, though I think it would probably take another year or so for the Spurs to move Johnson to the bench. I don't know who that would be, but I feel confident someone many folks consider to be in the top 10 will be there. That could be Sochan or Davis or Duren or Eason. I'm kind of hoping it's a scoring guard, but we'll see. I like someone like LaRavia at 20 or 25. He's a solid combo-forward who'd raise the floor of the second unit. I still like a defensive guard and/or center with 38 and potentially 44.

The Spurs should go into the summer with about $30 Million in effective cap space. They'd probably keep Walker's QO and their non-guaranteed deals, but I am assuming Zach Collins was in the trade to make the numbers work. That's enough money to sign a big name (like Sexton or Bridges and maybe a max with another move) or to make a couple of speculative signings like Mo Bamba or Jalen Smith. Let's assume they sign Oladipo and Smith and draft Dieng, LaRavia and Alondes Williams. The roster would be:

Murray, Jones, Williams
    Vassell, Oladipo, Primo
    Johnson, McDermott, Dieng
    Collins, LaRavia, KBD
    Poeltl, Smith, Landale

With Wieskamp and some PF as two-way guys again. I don't think that's anywhere near a contender, but seeing as they'd have all of their future picks and some tradeable contracts, maybe they could carry some flexibility into future years.
    In general I agree but do feel that a Collins fit with Poeltl isn't the best possible because Collins wants more pick and rolls and has had to sacrifice a lot of those opportunities to Capela. Poeltl doesn't need to be as close to the basket and is a better passer, but in a perfect world Collins would probably be best utilized with a stretch center like Brook Lopez

The locked on Hawks host has broken down before how much Collins' numbers have suffered from being with Capela.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d do 20 for Colins but only if it didn’t kill our already slim chance of signing Lavine (does it?)
    Not that you care what I think, but I’ll quickly say yes 😂

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think there will be a difference maker at 9. There's a fair chance there won't be anyone at 9 who will turn out so well that they will be making Collins money on their second contract.

If a difference maker is the goal, it's time to trade everyone over 23 and tank like crazy. Because I don't think guys like Davis or Sochan or Dieng are putting the Spurs on their backs and taking them to the finals.

Lots of people argue against making a move for Levine with the same argument, he's not great enough for the max plus the injuries.

Well he's the best there is potentially available, if Chicago even lets him walk without a 5 year max of their own.
    We found and traded for a difference maker at 15. NO ONE saw what he would become. You just have to keep drafting, and you’ll hit a bullseye. You don’t dump everyone over 23, but you do cycle them off as you bring new talent on board.

People complain about the treadmill. John Collins IS the treadmill. LaVine IS the treadmill. You hate our own picks now at 9-12? Wait until our own pick is 15-18. That’s the treadmill.

Thread Information