Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Wow, that's extreme. Count me out of advocating for that. Sounds like a Wild Cobra Libertarian utopia tbh.
    LOL... and ElNoKnow says I'm extreme...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, that's extreme. Count me out of advocating for that. Sounds like a Wild Cobra Libertarian utopia tbh.
    Well, it's a fine, not mandated gastric bypass surgery. What would you propose for enforcement?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL... and ElNoKnow says I'm extreme...
    I think there's a major distance between a fine and mandated castration... feel free to disagree...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I haven't looked, but I'll bet there is a correlation between sunscreen sales and obesity.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I think there's a major distance between a fine and mandated castration... feel free to disagree...
    There you go lying again. Paraphrasing my words wrong is an effective lie. Stating I have a position that is false is a lie.

Please show me any post to support your allegation that I support castration.

Definition of CASTRATE

a : to deprive of the testes : geld

b : to deprive of the ovaries : spay
    You are pathetic ElNoKnow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People harm themselves because they have no self control.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can be creative about this. IE: require obese children to conduct a blood/weight test every 6 months or so and if there's no improvement, fine the parents. If they don't show up for the test, fine them. Make consecutive fines scale up the penalty amount.

Once you touch their pockets, they'll get the message. Can't pay? Spend the night in jail. You think this is too tough? Having diabetes when you're 13 is tough.
    You are right. All I can do is and complain about the problem. I have no real solution.

Perhaps criminalizing obesity? Misdomenor or something to that effect. Texas does this if your child misses school. Perhaps we can pass a weight law that if your child reaches a certain unhealthy weight you get fined. You can draft exceptions that would exempt certain individuals with conditions.

They could also implement taxes on soda and other extremely unhealthy foods. (i.e. fast food tax). We do it with tabaco and alcohol.
    I've mentioned a junk food tax a couple of times on this board as something that could be used to help with healthcare costs. (tax junk food and redistribute revenues to taxpayers via HSA accounts) So I'm with you on that one. Another thing the government could do is restrict food stamps to prohibit them being used to purchase junk food/soda/candy.

I can't go along with criminalizing obesity though. The results of criminalizing drugs are underwhelming, I don't see why criminalizing being fat would turn out any better.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good healthy food is not affordable for many people.
    1. I disagree.
    2. Even if that were true, it's still not an excuse for never getting off the couch to go exercise. Last time I checked anyone can exercise for free.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See on the many sites how much intense exercise it takes to burn 500 calories.

I'm not against exercise at all, but it's an unreliable, unsustainable, even unavailable method for weight loss/maintenance for the majority.

Diet is the only realiable, sustainable, universally available method. And it's certainly diet that causes the overweight/obes y epidemic and attendant diseases, not lack of exercise.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-10-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've mentioned a junk food tax a couple of times on this board as something that could be used to help with healthcare costs. (tax junk food and redistribute revenues to taxpayers via HSA accounts) So I'm with you on that one. Another thing the government could do is restrict food stamps to prohibit them being used to purchase junk food/soda/candy.

I can't go along with criminalizing obesity though. The results of criminalizing drugs are underwhelming, I don't see why criminalizing being fat would turn out any better.
    I probably would not go for jail time but fines might work. I agree with you on the food stamps restrictions. I was at a Valero the other day in a poorer part of SA and I saw little green signs indicating which candy, chips and other snacks could be purchased with food stamps. Made me sick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A hardcore public health insurance option with serious bonuses (reductions) per year for people who are measured to be in good health. Maluses/penalties are not acceptable. The "penalty" for being measurably "life-style unhealthy" would be paying 100% of your insurance premiums.

This would spawn an industry of health testing, which should be cheaper than spending $8K/year per each of 300M+ for sick-care.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. I disagree.
    2. Even if that were true, it's still not an excuse for never getting off the couch to go exercise. Last time I checked anyone can exercise for free.
    no , it also takes very little money/effort for a small vegetable garden, even on an apartment patio.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Study Highlights The Need For Health Education Programs To Ward Off Childhood Obesity

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/245096.php

Controlling Obesity Will Save Over Half A Trillion Dollars

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245079.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There you go lying again. Paraphrasing my words wrong is an effective lie.
    castrate
    1. To remove the testicles of (a male); geld or emasculate.
    2. To remove the ovaries of (a female); spay.
    3. To deprive of virility or spirit; emasculate.

virility
    1. The state or quality of being virile; manly character, vigor, or spirit; masculinity.
    2. The power of procreation.

Shut up, liar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very Simple

1. Tax the out of redmeat
    2. tax the out of anything with sugar
    3. Tax the sht out of grease
    4. Give tax breaks to those woh purchase fruits greens and lean meat

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A huge problem I have with ElNono's idea is that weight and fitness aren't as correlated as one would think. I remember a few years ago I was hiking a pretty strenuous trail in Grand Teton and I saw this woman who by all social standards would be considered a pig who zipped by me on the trail and started going up switchbacks on it like they were nothing. She was heavy as with floppy s and a gut but still faster than me or any of the other people I ran into on the trail.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

No kidding. I don't particularly care for a "junk food tax," but I would never go for criminalizing fatness. I think people should be responsible for themselves.

Why do people want the government to protect them form themselves?

ElNoKnow... Why don't you just ask them to put you in a strait jacket and padded room, so you can't hurt yourself. Since it appears you think the authoritarian approach to protect everyone from everything is the solution.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A huge problem I have with ElNono's idea is that weight and fitness aren't as correlated as one would think. I remember a few years ago I was hiking a pretty strenuous trail in Grand Teton and I saw this woman who by all social standards would be considered a pig who zipped by me on the trail and started going up switchbacks on it like they were nothing. She was heavy as with floppy s and a gut but still faster than me or any of the other people I ran into on the trail.
    "studies have shown" that greasebags who anyway exercise can obviate nearly the negatives of greasebagginess. iow, fat can be fit.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I probably would not go for jail time but fines might work. I agree with you on the food stamps restrictions. I was at a Valero the other day in a poorer part of SA and I saw little green signs indicating which candy, chips and other snacks could be purchased with food stamps. Made me sick.
    Now I would go along with only allowing healthy purchases on the tax payers dime.

Food stamps having only limited purchases...

Oh yea... No chips, soda, candy, etc.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Not only that, but some people just are genetically fat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Why do people want the government to protect them form themselves"

more specifically, govt should protect society from the greatly elevated health costs of the greasebags, which everybody else pays (hiked for-profit premiums for the insured, and taxpayers reimbursing health care for the uninsured).

Precedent is for-profit insurance companies makes smokers and driving violators pay more.

And let's not hear that obese people have uncontrollable "nothing I can do" medical/genetic problems. 99% of them simply overeat.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    "Why do people want the government to protect them form themselves"

more specifically, govt should protect society from the greatly elevated health costs of the greasebags, which everybody else pays (hiked for-profit premiums for the insured, and taxpayers reimbursing health care for the uninsured).

Precedent is for-profit insurance companies makes smokers and driving violators pay more.

And let's not hear that obese people have uncontrollable "nothing I can do" medical/genetic problems. 99% of them simply overeat.
    That's why I can grudgingly go along with a junk food tax.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Seriously, does anyone else see if the obamacare or the healthcare industry as we know it now charging by the pound in the near future. God bless

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Seriously, does anyone else see if the obamacare or the healthcare industry as we know it now charging by the pound in the near future. God bless
    Not really, but I think "all you can eat" buffets should do that.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I am surprised people are so hungry all the time, honestly. Everyone around me, every family member, every friend, every coworker, mother ers all eat 3 meals a day with all sorts of in between.

People, in my uneducated opinion, are just plain addicted to eating.

Maybe back in the early 20th century when everyone worked 60 hours on their feet everyday except Sundays, eating three meals a day made sense. These days, everyone has a desk job and works 60hrs a week, but still eat like a person who does physical labor everyday.

Again, I dont pay attention to health and fitness, so I am admittedly ignorant on the subject. But people around me, everywhere, make me sick watching them eat all the ing time. Always hungry, always want to eat.

I eat once, sometimes twice a day. A big healthy lunch and a very light dinner. Thats it. Way less than 2000 calories that I guarantee.

I dont know, just putting it out there. I am sure the phys ed teachers will jump all over this post and tell me how my diet sucks and bla bla bla.

My remedy for fat-asses? Stop eating all the god damn time. You shouldnt be that hungry all the time. You dont "do" . You barely move all day, listening to you breathing through your nose while eating makes me ill. Fat people seem to think walking from one end of the house to the other, bending over a few times and the back and forth between the parking lots is "exercise".

Newsflash: No it isnt. Maybe for a paraplegic it is, but not you with two working legs. At least, it shouldnt be. If you lose your breath walking up stairs and you dont have a long medical history of asthma, youre too god damned fat. Stop eating (so much) and start moving a uva lot more. More fruit and vegetables, remove chips, cookies, sweets and sugar cereal from your diet.

I really dont see the issue here.
    Great take! Obesity is so much more of a quan y of food issue than it is a quality of food issue. We as a society just consume WAY more calories than needed for our level of activity, which progressively declines with each generation.

Has anyone tried places like My Fit Foods, Nutrisystem, etc? You are eating a bunch of crap really but because you limit your portions and caloric intake per day, you lose weight doing it. And you don't give up the short-term gratifications of eating unhealthy food either.

I'm guessing most Americans are in the 2500-3000 a day calories consumed range when based on their caloric expenditure they should be in the 1800-2300 range...

BTW, it is actually better to eat 3-4 times a day than 1-2, but eat smaller portions. If you only eat 1-2 times a day but have really big meals, your metabolism is slower than if you eat more often but are spreading the calories out throughout the day. It's easier to ac ulate undesirable body fat from only eating 1-2 X a day because your body will raid its own lean muscle mass for energy more often than if you spread your meals out.

Thread Information