Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama has been the underdog from the beginning and I have consistently stated that it will be very tough for him to win re-election. It won't be easy that is for sure.

He SHOULD be an underdog. Unfortunately, the GOP has no better alternatives.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you recall the unethical tactics used for the October Surprises by liberals?

I don't, but they were there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obama will not lose this election. The GOP is just spinning wheels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not looking like the GOP will take the Senate either at this point...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bush won reelection, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent was John Kerry.

Obama will win, despite being an unpopular president, because his opponent will be Mitt Romney.

Not rocket science. Weak (esp from Massachusetts) candidates (See Dukakis, Michael) = Election losses
    I'll agree only partially with this... I thought Bush won because he ran the "don't change commanders mid-stream" and "let me finish this" themes with regards to the wars. Add Kerry being labeled a flip-flopper during a time where allegedly there was no room for indecision, and you have a fairly good reason for people to vote the way they did.

I also think Romney is much more easy to digest to the center and even some disenchanted left voters. If (and this is not small if) he can get the base on the right all together behind him, I can see him challenging Barry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm not seeing the enthusiasm from wing-nut voters that I am seeing from Obama supporters...the vast majority of Democrats support Obama...without motivating a large segment of its base and also attracting independent voters the GOP has no chance...if they continue this war on women they may lose seats in both houses...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poll: Obama leads all GOP candidates in head-to-head contests

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/p...151032764.html

Obama's approval rating rises to 50 percent

Romney's national lead widening among Republican primary voters

Americans think Obama will win a second term

A majority of Americans have an unfavorable view of the Republican candidates after a long primary

Voters don't know that Santorum is Catholic

Republicans struggling with women and minorities

Nation split over federal health care overhaul

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Stock market tops 13,000.

If this keeps going, it will become harder and harder to make the "look how bad the economy is" argument.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

If this keeps going, it will become harder and harder to make the "look how bad the economy is" argument.
    I don't think the stock market has ever been more disconnected to the economic health of the average American than it is today.

Stock market metrics are almost irrelevant.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Srsly. Who gives a if OmniWidgets is up 200pts when they are reporting overseas profits and using a foreign labor force?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Srsly. Who gives a if OmniWidgets is up 200pts when they are reporting overseas profits and using a foreign labor force?
    I do think the market is a fair indicator about where the economy will be in a few months. A rule of thumb or rough guide if you will.

I do not think it is the end-all, be-all of indicators about the economy.

Omniwidgets though, will not be a DJIA component, if it is mostly overseas.

All that said, I just liked the picture. It's funny. "Crikey"... (chuckles)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tell that to the people on the cusp of retirement who have had to delay their plans by several years becuase of the financial crisis.

I personally know of three, and from what I read in the personal finance sections, they are not alone in that situation.

Once these people withdraw from the labor force, that will shrink the labor pool, and provide some force towards pushing wages a bit higher.

"almost irrelevant" I don't buy.

"a component, but not the end-all, be all" Seems better.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I do think the market is a fair indicator about where the economy will be in a few months. A rule of thumb or rough guide if you will.

I do not think it is the end-all, be-all of indicators about the economy.

Omniwidgets though, will not be a DJIA component, if it is mostly overseas.

All that said, I just liked the picture. It's funny. "Crikey"... (chuckles)
    I remember Coca Cola posting a surge in stock prices a few years ago. It was largely on the back of foreign sales by foreign subsidaries. It does make it back to the bottom line...and it didn't add one ing job.

I think the market is not as fair an indicator as it once was simply due to our shift from manufacturing to service and soft industries.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tell that to the people on the cusp of retirement who have had to delay their plans by several years becuase of the financial crisis.

I personally know of three, and from what I read in the personal finance sections, they are not alone in that situation.

Once these people withdraw from the labor force, that will shrink the labor pool, and provide some force towards pushing wages a bit higher.

"almost irrelevant" I don't buy.

"a component, but not the end-all, be all" Seems better.
    It certainly seems all but irrelevant with our unemployment as a backdrop. I could be overstating tho. I'm so very subtle.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That was a great pic, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Coca Cola posting a surge in stock prices a few years ago. It was largely on the back of foreign sales by foreign subsidaries. It does make it back to the bottom line...and it didn't add one ing job.

I think the market is not as fair an indicator as it once was simply due to our shift from manufacturing to service and soft industries.
    It does add jobs in the U.S. actually, generally at the corporate headquarters level.

Further, the earnings are generally passed on to the pension funds and retirees that own Coke stock for the dividends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It certainly seems all but irrelevant with our unemployment as a backdrop. I could be overstating tho. I'm so very subtle.
    Again, a higher stock market allows for baby boomers to retire.

Out with the old, in with the new. No offense CC.

It could very well lower the unemployment rate for that reason.

Think about the number of people where you work that are due to retire within 5 years.

I dunno, it would be interesting to quantify.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

I think few would agree with you, unless it rebounds to the point of following the long term trend. Without referring to past performance, I will guess that the market would have to top 20,000 to be on trend.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I don't think the stock market has ever been more disconnected to the economic health of the average American than it is today.

Yes, I agree here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, I agree here.
    I think few would agree with you, unless it rebounds to the point of following the long term trend. Without referring to past performance, I will guess that the market would have to top 20,000 to be on trend.
    The more bailouts, taxes, etc the democrats propose and Obama signs into law, the worse things will get. My 6,000 prediction may be a bit high!
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...85&postcount=2
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show....php?p=4248385

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show....php?p=3570317

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Your point?

Would you agree that economics has an effect on the stock market, but that doesn't necessarily mean the stock market has an effect on economics?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your point?

Would you agree that economics has an effect on the stock market, but that doesn't necessarily mean the stock market has an effect on economics?
    You suck at economics but hes pointing out how you argue both ways depending on where your advocate stands.

What do sophist mean?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bookmarking this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never underestimate the stupidity of the average american voter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care if the stock market is at 15,000, if gas is still over $4 a gallon in November the average voter is going to be seriously pissed off.

Thread Information