Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love it how Spurs are always quiet, and people may think there is nothing going on, but in the end, we end up with great deals! Great job done here, and with DGreen too!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also at this point, we know the max offer Tim can accept is ~16M, correct? If the Spurs use the full BAE and the rest of the MLE it will drop to 14M max.
    Good point. Rung higher.

By signing Diaw to this contract, the Spurs now face a hard cap at $74 million. And yeah, right now the max contract Duncan can get from the Spurs is something like $16.5 million. Once the Spurs use the rest of the MLE and the BAE (which I still think they'll most likely have to use to fill out the roster), Duncan won't be able to re-sign for more than $14 million.

But I'm sure he's already agreed to a number south of that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any of you people follow the Wages of Wins geeks?

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/07/06/th...et/#more-10922

Yes, statistical projections aren't perfect, they don't take into account motivation or injuries, that said

Camby = old = Projected WP/48 of 0.222
    Roy = no knees = Projected WP/48 of 0.116
    Hawes = unreliable = Projected WP/48 of 0.055

Boris = ?Motivated? = Projected WP/48 of 0.069

Hawes is young and they are paying for potential. Similarly with Roy's comeback. What's Boris's excuse?

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    POP, fly over there NOW and get Lorbek!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is the physical center?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is the physical center?
    didn't you read? the physical center is Danny Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Rung higher.

By signing Diaw to this contract, the Spurs now face a hard cap at $74 million. And yeah, right now the max contract Duncan can get from the Spurs is something like $16.5 million. Once the Spurs use the rest of the MLE and the BAE (which I still think they'll most likely have to use to fill out the roster), Duncan won't be able to re-sign for more than $14 million.

But I'm sure he's already agreed to a number south of that.
    So will they be below the cap if he accepts south of $14M?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't you read? the physical center is Danny Green.
    okay...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent news.

props to Diaw for obviously wanting to stay.
    If Parker and Diaw lived on the coast, I bet they could have a French reality show this next season.

can someone explain to me how this signing sets us up with a 74 million hard cap?
    Is that just the nature of using the MLE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, statistical projections aren't perfect, they don't take into account motivation or injuries, that said

Hawes is young and they are paying for potential. Similarly with Roy's comeback. What's Boris's excuse?
    They project Diaw to do about 20% worse than his last three seasons, most of which have been spent with the Bobcats? I'd say that is pessimistic, tbh.

Besides, a lot of what Diaw does well doesn't show up in the stats. Things like handling the ball if a guard is trapped, driving in from the perimeter to collapse a defense, defending the post, etc. Plus, WP48 judges bigmen mostly by how well they rebound (as evident by Camby be rated as the second best free agent bigman -- even ahead of Duncan and almost double Garnett) and we know Diaw is more of a box-outer than a rebounder.

Even saying that and factoring in the pessimistic outlook, WP48 says the Spurs will be getting good bang for their buck if Diaw averages around 24 minutes per game. That's doable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hollinger, is that you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. I can't believe they got him on a two-year deal. What a ridiculously good contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So will they be below the cap if he accepts south of $14M?
    No, they are going to be way over the cap. After the rest of the MLE and the BAE are spent, the Spurs will be at about $60 million on the books (the salary cap is ~$58 million). The luxury tax kicks in at about $70 million. The "apron" is at $74 million. Since the Spurs used the regular MLE and not the taxpayer MLE, the apron turns into a hard cap figure.

So to stay under the luxury tax threshold, Duncan's contract will have to be less than $10 million. The absolute max the Spurs can pay Duncan will be about $14 million.

I expect Holt to allow the Spurs to pay some lux tax. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he lets the Spurs pay all the way up to the apron -- even though that will end up costing him $4 million more in lux tax penalty.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This also means that Duncan isn't taking some ridiculously low salary, right? In that case, the MLE wouldn't have been a constraint.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people seem to be upset about bringing in the same guys. The thing is the team is bringing in the best options available and on very good contracts.

I know everybody wants new players to feel we are going to war with some new guns. The fact is we made a lot of moves over the last year. Two years worth of moves. Kawhi trade, Boris signing, and the S jax trade. If we did the latter two this summer everybody would be pumped.

Despite all that we still have hope of a trade possibly including Blair, Neal, Bonner, or Splitter. We have a little exception we can offer a old(most likely) or a young player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They project Diaw to do about 20% worse than his last three seasons, most of which have been spent with the Bobcats? I'd say that is pessimistic, tbh.

Besides, a lot of what Diaw does well doesn't show up in the stats. Things like handling the ball if a guard is trapped, driving in from the perimeter to collapse a defense, defending the post, etc. Plus, WP48 judges bigmen mostly by how well they rebound (as evident by Camby be rated as the second best free agent bigman -- even ahead of Duncan and almost double Garnett) and we know Diaw is more of a box-outer than a rebounder.

Even saying that and factoring in the pessimistic outlook, WP48 says the Spurs will be getting good bang for their buck if Diaw averages around 24 minutes per game. That's doable.
    20% worse is probably an effect of 2 things. The average player starts trending down at 30+ (which Boris is now), and his WP/48 has been trending down since 09/10...

In a box, I don't think the Diaw contract is bad. It's just not a steal. The problem with thinking in this box, is that I would like to see Dunca's last year or two be as a contender. Given we got Thundered (and they'll be back), Miami was better (and they'll be back), and other teams are improving (Lakers - maybe, Clippers), I think we needed to upgrade the front line, and that means a steal. Maybe Boris proves me wrong, but compared to what I think he could get from the rest of the league, this isn't a steal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. This contract is perfect. I applaud you Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hollinger, is that you?
    Of course not, Hollinger believes in PER...
    If you have insider:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...PrNDbQ&cad=rja

Further, Last year's PER
    Camby 19.6
    Roy 13.9 (from 10/11, when he last played 21.3 from 09/10)
    Hawes 18.1
    Diaw 12.1 (only counting games with Spurs)

Again, Roy is getting paid on the chance he can come back. Diaw, on the other hand was ripe for a low-ball, and we haven't...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good news just keeps on coming. This is a very reasonable contract. I always felt that Diaw should be kept on a shorter leash just to keep him motivated. He hasn't done well when having the extra security. The player option for the 2nd year is a cool thing for him. He controls his own performance and thus his destiny.

Great news and great job by the FO.

Now for Duncan & Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Now for Duncan & Mills.
    Already done. Now they gotta find a way to dump Bonner and Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. RC has done a fantastic job this off-season compared to about 20 of the other GM's in the league handing out ridculous contracts. Diaw is just a perfect fit for this team. I can't wait to see what Diaw can do with a full training camp under his belt...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great deal by the FO. But the incentives are only 200k?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maximum Sports ‏@MaxSportsSA

Just got off phone with Diaw's agent. He says 6 other teams showed interested in Diaw, but Boris, for several reasons, didn't want to wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just got off phone with Diaw's agent. He says 6 other teams showed interested in Diaw, but Boris, for several reasons, didn't want to wait.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If only big name free agents new how great it is to be apart of the Spurs.

Props to Diaw and Green for wanting to play for the Spurs more than another team for more money.

Thread Information