Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way I do this trade since it would make us worse defensively. However, I would be interested in Paul Milsap since he he can play the 3 or 4 and brings added rebounding and toughness. I wouldn't give up Splitter for him but SJax, Green, Neal and/or any of our backup PGs. I would also really like Alec Burks to come our way and feel he could become a solid player. If we give up green, we can try to bring a veteran 2 guard that can shoot the 3 and play solid D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are two different parts in this article:
    - The first part is where Sheridan said his sources are saying him that Spurs are heavily favorite to get Al Jefferson.
    - The second part is Sheridan trying to build a trade that works for both side.

The rumor isn't that Spurs will trade Splitter for Al Jefferson, it's that Spurs are interested in Jefferson an are the frontrunners by a huge margin to get him.

Now, the big question is, how reliable are Sheridan sources?
    IMO, from what I've seen, not reliable at all. UTA plays things extraordinarily close to the vest, so that part passes the smell test, but the Spurs being clearly the frontrunner reeks of just putting two and two together (i.e. the front office connections/relationships).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Al Jefferson has always strike me as a player who would be a great fit with Spurs personality wise. He was humble enough to say he didn't deserved a max contract and he is a Duncan's fan.

Saying that, I wouldn't trade Splitter for him because it would make Spurs weaker defensively while I'm not sold it would make them that much better offensively.

To me, the true question is more should Spurs offer something like Jackson+Bonner+2 first round pick for Jefferson?
    Then we'd wind up with three good big men--Splitter, Jefferson and Tim. I don't know how Pop would split the minutes and talents, but I suppose he could since he's the best active coach in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all are cray if you think this wouldn't be a goof pickup. He's one of the most underrated Centers in the league. Sure he's not great at defense but he's not nearly as bad on D as some of you make him sound. Offensively, he'd be a huge pickup and a great compliment to Timmy. It would suck to lose Splitter though.. If there was any way to get him without losing Tiago that'd be a Godsend. Either way, I hope this somehow happens. We need it.

Last edited by BatManu20; 02-07-2013 at 06:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millsap + Burks for Green + Bonner + Neal + Mills + 2013 First Rounder

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gortat I don't see it, the other two are untradable and either former DPOY or favorite for the upcoming DPOY but even then they are true centers imo and I think Garnett would be a better fit next to Tim.

If you don't think Garnett is a better defender than Splitter, well let's just say I disagree...
    What I'm disagreeing with you on is the assertion that Garnett's the only big man worth giving up serious assets for.

Besides, Garnett's not tradable either so we're basically talking pipe dreams.

My issue with Garnett is how he's slowed down. I'm not convinced that he'd be able to chase perimeter players and he clearly wouldn't be a decent long-term option. Plus Tim hates him. Spurs could fix this by slowing down the pace but I just don't believe KG has enough in the tank to make it worth trading someone like Kawhi for him.

The other 2 are guys who are faster and younger. Chandler in particular would transition the most seamlessly because he's very pick and roll oriented while also being better on the glass and on D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading for a 4 doesn't get them past OKC or Miami. Both teams will ultimately go small ball with KD and LeBron.

If the Spurs are looking for a trade to bolster this year's championship chances, then you target a 2 or 3 that can create their own shots or is a proven playoff performer (eg: Paul Pierce). Otherwise, this current squad has as good a chance to ring as any trade that brings in Jefferson, Garnett, etc. tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want Al. He's not a warrior at all and is weak on defense. He's the same guy that said "we can't beat them" about the spurs after game THREE of our series last year. That's weak sauce. Even if you thin it's true, as the leader of a team you can't come out and say that in public whole the series is going on. As tdmvpdpoy would say he's a fkn wanker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how reliable are Sheridan sources?
    He admitted that he didn't get anything from the Spurs. The Jazz are just as good, if not better, at keeping things in house. So that leaves agents, specifically Jefferson's agent. He wants to help create a market for Jefferson (so that a team other than Utah holds his Bird Rights this summer) and there's no better way to generate interest than to plant a story that the Spurs are ready to make a move.

IMO, there is no reliable basis for this story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enes Kanter is not a former overall No. 1 pick
    AI is not an upgrade over Splitter on D

And the spurs don't have that much assets to trade.
    - SJax expirer is a nice asset but not has no value for another expirer like AI
    - Leonard or one of the Big 3 will not be traded for AI
    - Bonner / De Colo / Neal / Blair / Mills / Baynes are not really interresting for the Jazz

It leaves Splitter or/and picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading for a 4 doesn't get them past OKC or Miami. Both teams will ultimately go small ball with KD and LeBron.

If the Spurs are looking for a trade to bolster this year's championship chances, then you target a 2 or 3 that can create their own shots or is a proven playoff performer (eg: Paul Pierce). Otherwise, this current squad has as good a chance to ring as any trade that brings in Jefferson, Garnett, etc. tbh.
    KG is different because he's more agile and his pick and roll defense is elite

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get wrong I love (no ) Tiago but if he is the price to pay to get Jefferson I'll do it.
    They are both 28 y/o, Al is a 20 10 1 player, I'm convinced that he could improve a ton defensively with the Spurs.

It's not like we are giving up a young productive big in Tiago, he is already 28. Al is much more proven at this stage even if health is always a concern with him. What he could bring offensively and rebounding wise is significant imho vs. Tiago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, I'd rather pay 8-9 million to Tiago over 4 years than 12-14 million for Big Al.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd rather pay Jefferson? Let's see how each of them does going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, I'd rather pay 8-9 million to Tiago over 4 years than 12-14 million for Big Al.
    Nobody's going to be stupid enough to pay him that kind of money AGAIN.

Are they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG is different because he's more agile and his pick and roll defense is elite
    Yes, he is. But he can't guard KD nor LeBron. If/when the Spurs play those teams in the playoffs, Spurs will have to match up with those small ball lineups. In theory you could hide a KG/Jefferson on guys like Battier/Thabo but the gains are not worth giving up Tiago or Jack IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody's going to be stupid enough to pay him that kind of money AGAIN.

Are they?
    I think he'll easily get 12 million per year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then we'd wind up with three good big men--Splitter, Jefferson and Tim. I don't know how Pop would split the minutes and talents, but I suppose he could since he's the best active coach in the league
    I guess, Pop would cut a lot Tim's regular season minutes. This interest for Al Jeff could even be motivated by all the issue Tim has had lately with his knee(s).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to Jefferson. Especially if Splitter is involved. The defense will go back to middle of the pack with Al at the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way would I trade Splitter.

Here is a trade that'd work though:

Blair, Bonner, Neal, Jackson, Lorbek for AJ and Carroll or Evans (SF's).

Neal has some good value IMO, especially because he's a hybrid PG/SG, and very cheap. we swap SF's with Jack and Carroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh and at everybody assuming we will get Tiago for a nice reasonable price... the Tiago progress are not being un noted by the rest of the league. Nobody knows what kind of money he is going to be offered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way would I trade Splitter.

Here is a trade that'd work though:

Blair, Bonner, Neal, Jackson, Lorbek for AJ and Carroll or Evans (SF's).

Neal has some good value IMO, especially because he's a hybrid PG/SG, and very cheap. we swap SF's with Jack and Carroll.
    Once again ST fans should stop thinking you can attract teams by trading them all our garbage in once tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he'll easily get 12 million per year.
    I guess it wouldn't shock me if that were the case, but that's another reason not to even bother trying to get him. If the Spurs are going to give up assets to rent someone for this year, I'd rather have Pierce, and he probably wouldn't cost Splitter or Leonard to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering the thread was started by Bottomtooth and the rumor was Jackson, Splitter, and Mills I was worried. Thankfully it's just a stupid trade machine transaction and not the rumored deal. Hopefully it's just smokescreen for a better fit coming in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it wouldn't shock me if that were the case, but that's another reason not to even bother trying to get him. If the Spurs are going to give up assets to rent someone for this year, I'd rather have Pierce, and he probably wouldn't cost Splitter or Leonard to get.
    Pierce is the only realistic trade target that I wouldnt have any hesitation on pulling the trigger for unless they asked for Kawhi/Tiago, which they probably would.

It would definitely cost the Spurs at least one of those guys to get him. Everybody in BOS already hates Ainge, they'd outright lynch him if he traded away one of the franchise greats for nothing but expirings. But then again, it is Ainge.

Thread Information