Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, the ol' sport is taking the NBA down to with him. He's a lawyer, he knows what he's doing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player was suspended for 82 games (reduced to 68 games by an arbitrator for being too severe) for choking his coach and threatening to kill him.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sterling is going full scorched earth on this one. It's gonna be awesome!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No they won't because his beliefs on race won't be the issue. The issue will be whether or not the NBA has a right to protect their image and whether or not he signed a contract giving the NBA the authority to terminate his ownership. You cannot prove what he believes, even the slave owners had black girlfriends, but that's not the issue here. It's merely a legal proceeding to determine whether or not Sterling was in breech of contract or if the NBA can terminate ownership of a franchise. He's been tried in the media and found guilty, however most people have no idea what the real issues are.
    Great points DMC it will be painted as a victory for blacks but the only color that truly matters is green. NBA was losing money a few angry black players/fans matters little.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People still don't get it. Sterling is not losing his team for being a racist. Judgement of one's moral compass is for the populace. Sterling is losing his business for compromising a billion dollar industry. Again, it's about money and not race. The NBA could care less if someone got butt hurt for getting called a monkey. They're just trying to protect their brand and keep getting richer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a side note, all the points Sterling's legal motion pointed out is exactly the problem with the NBA and how they control their players. Saying something in their own private home that's recorded, or saying something stupid on Twitter, or any speech is over-broad on the NBA's power. At what point is the NBA infringing on the player and owner's private lives? For example, a player gets a DUI and is fined and suspended for a certain amount of games. A DUI has no bearing on the player's abilities on the court and his actions are not in concert with the NBA, so why does the NBA have the power to control his actions?
    These issues exist in many highly visible entertainment industries. It's why someone like Hank Jr was fired from doing NFL promos. What he said in his private life affected his job. They all know that can happen.

When someone gets into legal trouble where you work, you never associate that with work, however if a NBA player is running up and down the court and you know he just got a DUI, you look at it like an NBA player got a DUI, not that this specific person got one. It's reported on sporting news. Your's wouldn't be. These guys sign huge contracts and part of their agreement is to not bring bad publicity to the NBA. When they do anyhow, the only recourse is often a monetary one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These issues exist in many highly visible entertainment industries. It's why someone like Hank Jr was fired from doing NFL promos. What he said in his private life affected his job. They all know that can happen.

When someone gets into legal trouble where you work, you never associate that with work, however if a NBA player is running up and down the court and you know he just got a DUI, you look at it like an NBA player got a DUI, not that this specific person got one. It's reported on sporting news. Your's wouldn't be. These guys sign huge contracts and part of their agreement is to not bring bad publicity to the NBA. When they do anyhow, the only recourse is often a monetary one.
    Tell that to OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez, and the like. Like I said before, the NBA is simply overreaching on players private lives. The NFL would've just issued a statement that the NFL doesn't condone their player's actions. The NBA goes far enough to implement fines, when all they had to do is hire a few more PR reps in the front office to say they don't condone the actions. Being the money hungry league as it is (keeping games close for ratings, nosing their way to get a profit off of everything the players do), I wouldn't be surprised though. And nobody calls the league out because you never bite the hand that feeds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell that to OJ Simpson, Aaron Hernandez, and the like. Like I said before, the NBA is simply overreaching on players private lives. The NFL would've just issued a statement that the NFL doesn't condone their player's actions. The NBA goes far enough to implement fines, when all they had to do is hire a few more PR reps in the front office to say they don't condone the actions. Being the money hungry league as it is (keeping games close for ratings, nosing their way to get a profit off of everything the players do), I wouldn't be surprised though. And nobody calls the league out because you never bite the hand that feeds.
    OJ wasn't playing football when he was arrested. Retired players aren't fined by the league. Hernandez is in prison or soon will be, I think.

If the franchises go along with it, they must be OK with the arrangement.

Thread Information