My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I vote Parker just to wad the panties of Apasadsac and her bff anoral
    You grinder...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've honestly never understood the need for Spurs fans to prop up one of these guys to put down the other or even to pick sides with them. Appreciating Manu doesn't require hating Parker and supporting Parker doesn't obligate a fan to put down Manu.

Each has come up big in big moments during his career; each has made awful plays at terrible times in crucial situations. Play enough big games and that tends to happen. Ultimately, without both of them, the Spurs don't have all 5 les, so they're both essential parts of this era of Spurs basketball.

Why not just leave it at that?
    Because Apo and his crew are player fans and not fans of the actual team they supposedly support. Division and derision is the MO for the whole lot.
    Player fans and agendas are what they are, but this nonsense of pitting Parker and Manu against each other, with fans of one player being basically unable to appreciate the other player has been going since at least 2005.

Like I say, I've never understood it, but I guess it will be what it will be.
    FromWayDowntown
    AFBlue

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hate this debate because it draws all the idiots like moths to a flame. they're both spurs, they're both friends, they both made big sacrifices, constantly improved, and made big plays for this team- reasonable fans couldnt ask for anything more. sure they've played through injury and looked like sometimes, it happens to every player, even a top 5 all time guy like duncan. if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at PATFO for not getting enough help in the late 2000s that the team still depends on these two to be the perimeter playmakers.

Tony had some great series, against the suns, the hornets, and 2012 and 2013 he played at a very high level regardless of matchups. Those teams dont make the WCF and finals without duncan, leonard, splitter, green etc but even if they hadn't, parker hit another gear and was really good overall.

I still think manu was better in 05 which in terms of difficulty is our greatest run IMO, nash's suns were stacked with the MVP, 3 all nba players, COY, best record in the league, followed by the wallace pistons for a defensive battle. Generally speaking, in terms of size, range, raw playmaking ability manu is the more versatile player, in terms of intangibles the more impactful player (loose balls, charges, etc), but as a scorer/playmaker parker at the top of his game is right up there, its not easy to attack the rim like those guys do and it takes its toll to play that way. it will be a long time before the spurs have another guard as good as either of these were in their respective primes, regardless who you think is better. and yes, they have earned the right to keep playing, loyalty and stability are part of the spurs core values, and like pop says, its just a game, life is bigger, life goes on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love both players and don't want to get drawn into stupidity. But Parker had the better career. Ginobili at his best was a better player, but that's only part of it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes lets "honor" them by pitting them against each. Geez, I'd hate to see your version of "dishonor".....which this pretty much is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to pick one is not a big deal, one idiot was talking about stupidity and chose career over player, thats like saying you have 2 friends and you pick the rich one even when the other is better person better friend and made sacrifices to help you.
    Just pick one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Player fans and agendas are what they are, but this nonsense of pitting Parker and Manu against each other, with fans of one player being basically unable to appreciate the other player has been going since at least 2005.

Like I say, I've never understood it, but I guess it will be what it will be.
    Yep, most of it started from their countries fans though, they are player fans usually and not really team fans (Not all of them but some). We will see when either retire who sticks around or who does not, some will leave with their fave player IMO and I would bet on it.

Spurs fan through and through so don't get it either, love the whole team except Bonner whom I don't even want to fail in reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've honestly never understood the need for Spurs fans to prop up one of these guys to put down the other or even to pick sides with them. Appreciating Manu doesn't require hating Parker and supporting Parker doesn't obligate a fan to put down Manu.

Each has come up big in big moments during his career; each has made awful plays at terrible times in crucial situations. Play enough big games and that tends to happen. Ultimately, without both of them, the Spurs don't have all 5 les, so they're both essential parts of this era of Spurs basketball.

Why not just leave it at that?
    Well, I don't understand you and those guys saying 'but but we love both, both are Spurs players, both were essential for the Spurs success...'

That means I should feel the same for Finley than DRob or Tim?

A player can play better than other player on the same team??

It's stupid to think a sports fan doesn't like more a player than other on the same team. Be honest, we'll always have a favorite over other.

Obviously it doesn't obligate you to hate the other player but saying we should like both the same way sounds very childish.

Just pick one. What's the big deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's stupid to think a sports fan doesn't like more a player than other on the same team. Be honest, we'll always have a favorite over other.

Obviously it doesn't obligate you to hate the other player but saying we should like both the same way sounds very childish.

Just pick one. What's the big deal?
    If that was the debate, that would be fine. But around here, it's never the debate.

I don't think I've ever said I think anyone has to like both equally.

But those who prefer Parker (in a lot of cases) make their arguments for Parker by trying to diminish Manu. Those who prefer Manu (in a lot of cases) make their arguments for him by trying to diminish Parker. My objection isn't with fans liking one player more than another. It's with the notion that liking one requires you to despise another.

I don't really care which one anyone prefers, but the continuing efforts to suggest that either Tony or Manu hasn't been consistently good or that either Tony or Manu hasn't been crucial to the Spurs les since 2003 is absolutely ridiculous.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker wouldn't be a 4 time champ without Manu. Manu wouldn't be a 4 time champ without Parker. And either of them would be HoF without Tim. Tim himself wouldn't be going for 6 without the little guys. I'm lucky to have all of them as a Spurs supporter. This is all a true Spurs fan knows. The secondary debates are just Spurstalk fluff. Excuse me while I count the rings...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that was the debate, that would be fine. But around here, it's never the debate.

I don't think I've ever said I think anyone has to like both equally.

But those who prefer Parker (in a lot of cases) make their arguments for Parker by trying to diminish Manu. Those who prefer Manu (in a lot of cases) make their arguments for him by trying to diminish Parker. My objection isn't with fans liking one player more than another. It's with the notion that liking one requires you to despise another.

I don't really care which one anyone prefers, but the continuing efforts to suggest that either Tony or Manu hasn't been consistently good or that either Tony or Manu hasn't been crucial to the Spurs les since 2003 is absolutely ridiculous.
    I said before that I agree wih you about liking one doesn't mean you hate the other player or throw him under the bus, but again, these overreactions just for a poll of who's better player/playmaker/whatever? If there is a real problem with the comparison, you're amplifying that problem.

I don't know man...maybe I'm a simple guy but I read, who's better and I chose one. It doesn't make me love the Spurs less than you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said before that I agree wih you about liking one doesn't mean you hate the other player or throw him under the bus, but again, these overreactions just for a poll of who's better player/playmaker/whatever? If there is a real problem with the comparison, you're amplifying that problem.
    We have this poll/debate frequently around here (if it isn't after every game or cluster of games in some way, shape, or form, it's at least several times a year in the same way, shape, or form), and the discussion is always the same and always ends up with the same factions propping their guy by putting down the other. Trust me, my point isn't about questioning the comparison; it's with the way the discussion always goes.

And it's not at all about who loves the Spurs the most.

It's about the devolution of the forum and a plea for a return to good basketball talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it's not at all about who loves the Spurs the most.
    Well...

are player fans and not fans of the actual team they supposedly support.
    they are player fans usually and not really team fans...Spurs fan through and through so don't get it either, love the whole team
    I'm lucky to have all of them as a Spurs supporter. This is all a true Spurs fan knows
    If I like more some Spurs' players than others I'm not a true Spurs fan?

These guys like all Spurs' players in the history of franchise equally?

Not sure if this a case of demagogy or pure stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu will always be Superman and Tony Parker will always be viewed as Spider-man, tbqfh.
    The problem with that is everyone knows Marvel rules. I think Manu being The Vision and Tony being The Boy Wonder is closer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well...If I like more some Spurs' players than others I'm not a true Spurs fan?

It's not the question, it's the source. If Apo hadn't run down Parker at every opportunity over the last year, I might believe this "debate" was sincere and benign.

And to answer your question, no I don't like every player in franchise history equally. If I had to choose, right now I'd say Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, none of the posts that you quoted is mine, so don't lump me into that group.

I've expressed my frustrations with the level of the discourse around here, not with the degree to which any fans support their team.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Liking a player over another is normal. It's when someone goes the extra mile to not only prop his own guy but also put down the other that true fandom ends and obsession begins... in the 10% of cases when it's not deliberate trolling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker's "big game moments" mostly led to heartbreak, while Manu's "big game moments" led to legendary success. Let's not forget who had the ball in his hands and hit the side of the backboard on a runner that would have won "six" at the buzzer.
    Are you kidding me ? Have you forgotten the dumb foul on Nowitzki that sent game 7 to overtime in 2006 ? One of the worst Spurs losses of history ?

I'm a big Ginobili fan and I think these threads are useless and stupid but please get your facts straight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you kidding me ? Have you forgotten the dumb foul on Nowitzki that sent game 7 to overtime in 2006 ? One of the worst Spurs losses of history ?

I'm a big Ginobili fan and I think these threads are useless and stupid but please get your facts straight.
    Yeah. I still remember the WTF was he thinking? feeling when that happened. That was a horrible moment. Don't foul and don't give a wide open 3 and they hold on to win...and Manu fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Have you forgotten who was guarding Ray Allen during that 3 in 6?
    In that game 7 vs Dallas Duncan took 24 shots he was 12/24 and -7, Finley was 4/8 -5, Parker took 18 shots for 24 points 9/18 -4, Manu 6/11 for 23 points -3.
    So Duncan and Parker were shooting bricks during the whole game, that didnt affect the outcome do you?

Every Dallas player was a net positive excepting dirk that was 11/20 37 points 0, Jason Terry 27 points +13, Josh Howard Stackhouse and Harris +7, Dampier +1 and that scrub Diop made the typical scrub dance on the Spurs shooting 3/3 7 points +4 on 10 minutes.
    No matter how you look at this, Spurs had no chance playing like that in that particular game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One of the most painful losses because of the rivalry, I would wager that losing to an 8th seed Memphis, and getting swept by the suns was worse, or losing the finals or in the 1st round as defending champs. It's easy to forget that Dallas had a great team, were up 3-1, and destroyed us in OT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu ting all over Porker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well...

If I like more some Spurs' players than others I'm not a true Spurs fan?

No I like some more than others as well, but I don't hate on a player on the team all day long and post about it or compare two players over and over trying to prove one is better when all I care about is the team winning in reality. None of that is relevant really, if one does better a certain game or year (Or all times) I am happy for them and they helped the team win games or les, period. That is all I care about. I like Duncan more than anyone on the team, but I don't want a player to fail or one to do better for an agenda or my own likes because in the end it's about winning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a good example of why you need 2 rankings- career value and peak value. If you are talking peak value, Manu is the clear winner. We mostly agree that his 2005 playoff run was better than Parker's best. But I would rank Parker higher in his career value, as a guy who carried a heavier load, year in and out, and managed to stay on the court more. Parker has 6 Allstar games and Manu 2. Parker has finished higher than Manu in regular season MVP voting. He has played nearly 10,000 more minutes than Ginobili, because he isn't hurt most of the time.

Thread Information