Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mayor on TV was talking about how to make the citizens that went through all of that to evacuate understand that they did not do so in vain. They were very, very lucky.

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mayor on TV was talking about how to make the citizens that went through all of that to evacuate understand that they did not do so in vain. They were very, very lucky.
    Please expound...How do you feel about that and how do you feel about the fact that it happenned, even though there was no flooding or imminent danger?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To my recollection, Austin and SA never hoarded supplies like this past week. You can't say Katrina had no influence on Texans and their decisions.
    Being as how you're probably single, do you buy your toilet paper one roll at a time? I know Duff just uses corn cobs!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So how would you suggest they get 2.5 million people back home?
    Ummm, like read the original post.

Doing it over 3 days is fine by me. To use the highways and streets within the Houston area more or less equally:

1) by zip code
    2) by the last number in their address, license plate, or whatever.

Yes, lot of people will ignore instructions, just like lots of people will cut in line out of a faster lane. At least start with a sensible plan. After taking 24+ hours before hurricane, most will be willing to follow instructions to avoid that again.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Doing it over 3 days is fine by me. To use the highways and streets within the Houston area more or less equally:

1) by zip code
    2) by the last number in their address, license plate, or whatever.

Yes, lot of people will ignore instructions, just like lots of people will cut in line out of a faster lane. At least start with a sensible plan. After taking 24+ hours before hurricane, most will be willing to follow instructions to avoid that again.
    It's easier to blockade quadrants than it is to blockade various zip codes. Even so, people are going to ignore the plan and it all up anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people are going to ignore the plan and it all up anyway.

Just like the people in areas of Houston that weren't called yet for evacuation left anyway... ing it up for those those that were. And then local government gets blamed and criticized by people not even effected in the first place. It's stupid.
    Last edited by SpursWoman; 09-25-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're so ing spoiled.

2.5 million people got out of Houston. That's 2.5 million who probably would not have died if a category 3 or 4 hurricane made direct impact with Houston.

And we're worried about people having to spend a day in a car.

I'd like to hear what a New Orleaner might say to people who are pissed off about traffic jams.

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, the next time this happens people will likely NOT leave. The same complacency that was evident in the Modern Day Atlantis known as NOLA.

Here is the question to ask yourself, and I know I am digressing:

If a bullet were travelling toward my head and destined to hit and kill me with a 40% probability, would I move myself given the chance, or stay and hope the 60% held true?

People play the lottery daily and think they are going to win at much less odds. My guess is people stay the next time.

If it were me, I would leave everytime.

Most of the NOLA Refusees would say glub, glub, glub...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately, the next time this happens people will likely NOT leave. The same complacency that was evident in the Modern Day Atlantis known as NOLA.

Here is the question to ask yourself, and I know I am digressing:

If a bullet were travelling toward my head and destined to hit and kill me with a 40% probability, would I move myself given the chance, or stay and hope the 60% held true?

People play the lottery daily and think they are going to win at much less odds. My guess is people stay the next time.

If it were me, I would leave everytime.

Most of the NOLA Refusees would say glub, glub, glub...

Great post! Rita coming so late in the summer contributed to it's dying down before striking land, but the next time we may not be so lucky, and unless Houston officials can come up with a better evacuation plan than the one we saw with Rita, we could someday have a tragedy even larger than NO on our hands.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being as how you're probably single
    Hey, you're wrong.

And you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post! Rita coming so late in the summer contributed to it's dying down before striking land, but the next time we may not be so lucky, and unless Houston officials can come up with a better evacuation plan than the one we saw with Rita, we could someday have a tragedy even larger than NO on our hands.

What would you do to make it better? And keep in mind, if you suggest a staggered evac that there are going to be tons of people that don't follow directions, creating the same kind of problem. If you're suggesting fuel tankers and courtesy patrols coming...they did. Their plan--which they actually followed--was to take 33-36 hours to evacuate the city...and that's exactly how long it took. That's why they called for the evacuation when they did, because they knew how long it was going to take.

Of course the inconvenience was a ...but would they rather have been 3-4 days on top of their roofs or trapped in their cars, or worse...dead? Ya'll are out of your mind if you think it's easy to move that many people in that short a period of time, expecting miracles that just aren't humanly possible. As nasty as it may have seemed, those highways were EMPTY by the time the hurricane made landfall.

Funny, I was thinking the other day...if traffic is not moving, or only moving 5mph or whatever, I'd have just turned off my car, opened my door, slid it into neutral and pushed with my foot every once in while. Of course, that helps when you have a smaller car.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would you do to make it better? And keep in mind, if you suggest a staggered evac that there are going to be tons of people that don't follow directions, creating the same kind of problem. If you're suggesting fuel tankers and courtesy patrols coming...they did. Their plan--which they actually followed--was to take 33-36 hours to evacuate the city...and that's exactly how long it took. That's why they called for the evacuation when they did, because they knew how long it was going to take.

Of course the inconvenience was a ...but would they rather have been 3-4 days on top of their roofs or trapped in their cars, or worse...dead? Ya'll are out of your mind if you think it's easy to move that many people in that short a period of time, expecting miracles that just aren't humanly possible. As nasty as it may have seemed, those highways were EMPTY by the time the hurricane made landfall.

Funny, I was thinking the other day...if traffic is not moving, or only moving 5mph or whatever, I'd have just turned off my car, opened my door, slid it into neutral and pushed with my foot every once in while. Of course, that helps when you have a smaller car.
    Very good points SW!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, you're wrong.

And you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, I have to give the state credit. My sister made it back to Houston this morning in about 4 hours. If all the state wanted to do was to try to get some people to not drive in Saturday (and maybe Sunday), then what they did was good enough. Maybe people would have ignored anything with more detail.

SW: Hot As Hell
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have put up DWI check points. That would have slowed down the evac.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Creative situations call for creative Ideas. I would have had a staggard evacuation based on zip codes. The low lying areas first. If you didn't live in a certain zip code or If you didn't have out of State plates, or weren't a resident of another TX city you wouldn't have been allowed to buy gas 30 miles out of the Houston city limits unless it was approved by a local police officer or State trooper in extreme situations. Beginning two days before Rita struck, I would have issued a Executive order limiting individual gasoline sales to everyone in the rural parts of Houston to only 10 gallons each. Too many people early in the evacuation eventually left the Houston area with 1/2 full tanks of gas. What a waste.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there would be enough manpower to police who is leaving and when...or how much gas they are getting. I don't have faith in the masses to follow specific directions...everyone thinks they are an exception and have a legitimate reason to not follow them, IMO.

I still think you'd end up with the same problem no matter which way you do it....and limiting cars to only 10 gallons each...as much as you guys hate the big trucks and SUVs, that's not an equitable distribution at all...so there'd be a whole lot of ing about that, too. 10 gallons doesn't go as far in a Suburban than it does in a Miata...somehow I'd imagine that would end up as a Republican's fault, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think you'd end up with the same problem no matter which way you do it....and limiting cars to only 10 gallons each...as much as you guys hate the big trucks and SUVs, that's not an equitable distribution at all...so there'd be a whole lot of ing about that, too. 10 gallons doesn't go as far in a Suburban than it does in a Miata...somehow I'd imagine that would end up as a Republican's fault, too.
    Even if your driving a Tahoe, 10 gallons would get you, what? 150 miles. That should be enough for you to find another gas station further away or a hotel room. There should be some deterrence to buying gas-guzzling vehicles. Enforcement of gasoline restrictions would rest with the retailers, so you wouldn’t need many police. This would be a short-term situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if your driving a Tahoe, 10 gallons would get you, what? 150 miles. That should be enough for you to find another gas station further away or a hotel room. There should be some deterrence to buying gas-guzzling vehicles. Enforcement of gasoline restrictions would rest with the retailers, so you wouldn’t need many police. This would be a short-term situation.
    True, but you know people would ....and blame FEMA or something.

Thread Information