Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm going to be bold and say Luke Walton is going to be a ty head coach. He strikes me as the typical assistant that gets hyped up from being on a championship team ala Rambis,Shaw, Jim Cleamons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming that means they're both listed separately and not as a single option, that all but guarantees it'll be going to a non-Warriors coach, no?
    my guess "both" should be a single option..what kind of silly game to have them seperately when the NBA officially counts Luke's coached wins as Kerr's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 games in two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then you might as well scrap that award..

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 win for two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then might as well scrap the award..
    Depends on how much credit it's given to the players.

Anyway, I expect Kerr to win, alone or co-winner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my guess "both" should be a single option..what kind of silly game to have them seperately when the NBA officially counts Luke's coached wins as Kerr's
    But how the do you give "coach of the year" award to 2 different coaches? Even if they're on the same team, that's just stupid IMO.

I would vote Kerr, tbh...if winning 67 and +70 games in two consecutive seasons doesn't get you the COY, then you might as well scrap that award..
    He should've won it last year, but giving it to him this year is a bit ridiculous...you can't miss half the season and win COTY. That's just absurd to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't vote 2 seasons so it indeed does not get you that award. Phil has ONE award, ONE. He has more rings than he can wear.

Kerr hasn't done anything this season. His chance was last season when he won 67 games, but since the Warriors were a playoff caliber team already, he doesn't get much credit for doing what Pop does which is to reinvent the entire program AND be historically successful in the same season.. only like the 4th time Pop has totally rebuilt his system on the fly in the last 20 years. You put Harden and Howard in Houston and they barely scrape by with 50 wins or so, and cannot get close to a ring. You had Harden, Durant and Westbrook on the same team at the same time, and couldn't beat Lebron James in his 2nd year in Miami with a completely rebuilt team. Then you put Tiago Splitter and waived Boris Diaw and waived Patty Mills along with waived Danny Green alongside the big 3 and a newcomer named Kawhi Leonard and you win a championship, and you make the WCF three years in a row, and you make the Finals twice.

I hope the trend of rewarding lucky coaches ends soon. The Avery Johnson, George Karl, Coach Bud (yeah he's not that great of a coach let's be honest) feel good is cute but the award should go to the best coach every year. You wouldn't give Damian Lillard the MVP just because the Blazers made the playoffs despite losing half their roster. Why give Kerr the CotY for sitting at home half the season watching a rookie coach tell everyone "get Steph the ball"?

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But how the do you give "coach of the year" award to 2 different coaches? Even if they're on the same team, that's just stupid IMO.
    The same way EOY actually rewards a whole FO, COY should reward the whole coaching staff. It's not like the coach is alone in a vacuum. Actually a coach gets to pick most if not all his assistants, and that's part of the job too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil got 72,69,62 wins from '96-'98. Should he have gotten 3 COY's in a row?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know they are going to buck common sense and give it to Kerr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Phil got 72,69,62 wins from '96-'98. Should he have gotten 3 COY's in a row?
    Actually he got it once (the 72 wins year), and he could have had it twice more (instead of Riley and Brown) and nobody would have anything to say about it...

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I'd be surprised if the Warriors didn't grab all 3 major awards. Kawhi will be lucky to get a 2nd DPOY, given the media's infatuation with Golden State.
    Yeah, I never quite understand how a guy can deserve MVP when his teammates win DPOY or 6MOY or MIP, his coach wins COY and his GM wins EOY, but the NBA writers tend to blow their load on one team.

It might be Kerr's to lose, but I can't see how anyone can realistically make a case for a coach who has a worse W/L record than his own assistant the year he's given the award.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the answer to the question is no. Pop doesn't deserve COY. He has the greatest (Don't you ING DARE call him "two-way") player in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually he got it once (the 72 wins year), and he could have had it twice more (instead of Riley and Brown) and nobody would have anything to say about it...
    Riley deserved it in '97 the heat went from 42 wins to 60 wins within 1 season which was a huge leap. Also Bird got the award in '98 and he also deserved it since the pacers missed the playoffs a year earlier but under Bird that year they finished in second place in the East.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Riley deserved it in '97 the heat went from 42 wins to 60 wins within 1 season which was a huge leap. Also Bird got the award in '98 and he also deserved it since the pacers missed the playoffs a year earlier but under Bird that year they finished in second place in the East.
    I'm not saying they didn't deserve it but there are always several good cases every year. I don't think anybody would say Phil having 3 COY instead of 1 would be undeserved...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stevens or Walton are more deserving tbh

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop or Stevens. You can say the Spurs are winning because the adding of LMA and DW, well of course, but coaching matters. LMA is having arguably his most efficient season and Pop is 100% behind that. He puts LMA in positions where he can thrive and succeed.

Having 2 coaches from the same team is dumb and actually will hurt their chances. The votes will split.
    Last edited by TheDoctor; 04-05-2016 at 01:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brad Stevens or Terry Stotts, or even Dave Jerger or Alvin Gentry for remaining compe ive with no players.
    Memphis lost his Big3, Conley, ZBo, Gasol...Portland lost their all starting lineup in the offseason except Dame...I wonder if Pop/Spurs could get #5 or #6 seed without Kawhi and..LMA...and one of Tim/Parker/Manu in the season.

Thread Information