Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a curve that ya like to use, and then there's being a dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The term 'curve' refers to the bell curve, the graphical representation of the probability density of the normal distribution."

It's absolutely a curve, just not the kind you are wanting. It's a curve designed to give each player a bell curve of performances through the season as opposed to just giving Kawhi a >B+ for the entire year.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tip 3 player in the league getting a C carrying this ing team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tip 3 player in the league getting a C carrying this ing team.
    That's how good Leonard is. He can have an average game and still dominate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Incomplete: Jonathan Simmons and Kyle Anderson: Are these guys in Pop’s doghouse? It’s not too surprising for Anderson, but Simmons has played well most of the year and on a night when we didn’t have all of our horses should have seen expanded time for Simmons. After playing so well in 18 minutes against Brooklyn, I can’t really explain why Simmons didn’t see more time, especially with Green struggling. Hopefully this is just a game off for Jonathan. Kyle, meanwhile, did acceptably well in his 6 minutes and had a nice block to go with limited time on the court.

Gregg Popovich: B
    A solid outing from Pop. I’m curious as to why he didn’t play Simmons, but many of his plays seemed to work well, although at times they broke down and ended up in numerous fadeaway 3s (which I cannot fault Pop too much for). I also would have liked to see Leonard force-fed a bit more, as he was caving in the entire C’s defense when he stepped inside the 3 point line.
    - There's only room for one of Anderson or Simmons in the rotation and the latter has clearly been better and provides more of what this team needs.

- Aldridge being out and the lack of small ball this team plays wasn't going to lead to an increased role for either.

- Simmons passed up a wide open 3 early in the 2nd quarter and they ended up with a forced heave with the shot clock winding down. Surprisingly, it didn't lead to an immediate hook (but it should have).

- Going with Anderson in the 2nd half was probably more so about getting him some run and letting Simmons know that even though he's outperformed him, he's still on a short leash.

- Not force feeding Leonard too much was the right thing to do on a night when Parker looked at least respectable (those need to be taken advantage of), especially in a back to back situation.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Average is B dumbass. C is sub par.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The term 'curve' refers to the bell curve, the graphical representation of the probability density of the normal distribution."

It's absolutely a curve, just not the kind you are wanting. It's a curve designed to give each player a bell curve of performances through the season as opposed to just giving Kawhi a >B+ for the entire year.
    still not a curve

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up Cry!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up Cry!
    Ty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He scored 1 point more than his season average, had 4 TOs, 3 rebounds with LMA out, and generally wasn't a force like usual on defense. I guess you're still using 2014 standards to judge Kawhi? I didn't know you thought so lowly of him.
    He is not other worldly amazing last night, but a C is indeed too harsh. I give him a B or B- for that performance, ho hum as it was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Good stuff.
    The stuff about the grades are always going to get harped on. You wrote an enjoyable read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up. I don't get to watch many games, really like the thoughts. Saw the first quarter of this one and thought TP and MG played pretty well.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm in agreement with the majority and will say, good stuff and thanks.
    Gasol was my player of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gets downvoted a lot on reddit too.

Also posts top-notch observations.

Our D is more mobile with Pau?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Our D is more mobile with Pau?
    .... yes? As opposed to a one-legged 40 year old Duncan? What the are you even saying?

Also, lol stalking my reddit. Pretty sad man.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Win. Next!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Done, CH! Great write up!

thanks for the insights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For an A, Kawhi needs to get 30 points+, with solid defense, and good stats across the boards with aggressiveness for 4 quarters. That's what I expect from a superstar max player having a great game.
    Grades are personal point of views, if someone gives a player an A, B, C, D...I'm fine with it.

But people's impossible/unrealistic expectations are an issue.

Tim Duncan averaged 25 ppg only one time in his career, then his 2nd best scoring season was 23.3ppg.

Kawhi was putting 24.7 ppg this season until tonight game in Phoenix. But now, fans are expecting Kawhi to score 30+ points to even consider he has a good game.

Prime Duncan had games were he didn't even score 23, wasn't aggressive for the whole four quarters, but was dominant in the 4th and we still thought he was amazing in those games.

Not sure why you are expecting more from Kawhi than the best PF to ever play the game.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 12-16-2016 at 03:34 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about the ty ing grades though? Very hipster.
    I don't mind the grades tbh

but this is well written. I did not see the game so I enjoyed reading it

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an individual curve. It's also pretty simple to understand.
    It's a 4 seams fastball then?

Thanks for the grades and good job

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grades are personal point of views, if someone gives a player an A, B, C, D...I'm fine with it.

But people's impossible/unrealistic expectations are an issue.

Tim Duncan averaged 25 ppg only one time in his career, then his 2nd best scoring season was 23.3ppg.

Kawhi was putting 24.7 ppg this season until tonight game in Phoenix. But now, fans are expecting Kawhi to score 30+ points to even consider he has a good game.

Prime Duncan had games were he didn't even score 23, wasn't aggressive for the whole four quarters, but was dominant in the 4th and we still thought he was amazing in those games.

Not sure why you are expecting more from Kawhi than the best PF to ever play the game.
    I was glossing over that purposely for the sake of being easy to digest. If Kawhi scores 22 points but plays insane defense (independent of steals and blocks, also), smothers his man and generally is a terror on the court with clutch rebounds and good shooting, that's an A from me as well.

Obviously the grades aren't solely based on his point total. But after watching Kawhi for 90% of the games this season, this was a poorer performance from him than he usually puts up. He seemed a little disinterested at times. But who knows, maybe he's just getting a feel for when he knows he can take over and win the game.

I don't think saying having a 30 point game is unrealistic when he's done it 7 times this season.

Thread Information