Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I think might be the case:

I don't know anything about Holt Jr., but looking at his credentials, he wouldn't have his position with the Spurs or HoltCat if his last name wasn't Holt. This likely means that he is overly reliant on the CEO and President of the organization. This is a perfectly fine way to run an NBA franchise, and I don't have any reason to believe the CEO and the President are doing a bad job of running the business of the Spurs - in fact, it appears they are doing great. They are bringing in tons of new sponsorship dollars, have a new state-of-the-art practice facility, are poised to get the public to pay for a new arena for them, etc.

I only have one criticism of the CEO and President: they aren't holding the GM and HC accountable to the product. This is because, of course, the President is the Head Coach, and to hold the GM accountable would mean that he'd also have to hold himself (as President) accountable).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL@OP just noticing this! Did you miss the 18-game losing streak? The frequent large blowouts getting down 20, 30, even 40 points!?! I’ve mainly only been watching to see Wemby highlights while holding my nose for extended periods in between the sparse number of games actually worth watching.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did someone actually say Champagnie is playing better?

Is this really a basketball forum?

My Take:

Spurs suck, Pop sucks. All suck except Wemby. And I'll give a grudging nod to Vassell. Seen improvement. That "Manu-like" pass I don't see anyone else on the Spurs being able to make.

Also, the fan bases BBIQ has went to . I guess that is to be expected. If you kept watching the SPURS through this horrible multi-year stretch, you may be a SPURS/POP fan, but you sure as ain't no basketball fan.

I came back because of Wemby...I'll be leaving again because of Pop and the rest of the Spurs FO. This is the worse I've ever seen a Spurs Team play. I sure as ain't sticking around to watch anymore of it. Like others, I'll watch WEMBY highlights and hope he gets on a Team that actually knows how to play and use him. That would be something to see.
    Last edited by SouthernFryd; 02-26-2024 at 07:42 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby is still raw on offense and they are running almost everything through him as they should. Wemby wants to win but he wants to win as the head of the snake on offense and defense. They are just going to waste assets to make that progression look watchable. Wait for him to get there then spend , that is what all great sustainable teams have done.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally disagree on vassell, the only bright spot after victor imo

Stills has a lot of ways to grow but i don't think we can talk about him with the others

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a tragedy! I really hope they don't do that to Wemby and the fans. This organization is not like Charlotte or Washington. The fans won't take mediocrity.
    Yeah they will. People (local media) are too nice around here to the Spurs and will suck up to them infinitely.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did someone actually say Champagnie is playing better?

Is this really a basketball forum?

My Take:

Spurs suck, Pop sucks. All suck except Wemby. And I'll give a grudging nod to Vassell. Seen improvement. That "Manu-like" pass I don't see anyone else on the Spurs being able to make.

Also, the fan bases BBIQ has went to . I guess that is to be expected. If you kept watching the SPURS through this horrible multi-year stretch, you may be a SPURS/POP fan, but you sure as ain't no basketball fan.

I came back because of Wemby...I'll be leaving again because of Pop and the rest of the Spurs FO. This is the worse I've ever seen a Spurs Team play. I sure as ain't sticking around to watch anymore of it. Like others, I'll watch WEMBY highlights and hope he gets on a Team that actually knows how to play and use him. That would be something to see.
    All you ever comment is this team sucks. You don't contribute anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 years straight of no playoffs, longest streak in franchise history, and 7 years of progressively getting worse. Can you name any other coach or front office in professional sports that would be granted such leeway? Not even his modern contemporary, Bill Belichick, was given as long a rope. Having lived in MA for awhile, as insufferable as Boston sports fans and media are, they do expect better and drive accountability.

What have this FO/Coach done in the last 7 years, beside luck into drafting Wemby, to give you confidence that they will turn this around? I'd love nothing more for that to be the case, by no means am I a Pop-hater who wants to see him lose. I'd love for him to go past 1500 wins and add a few more chips to his resume to close the door on any GOAT questions from here until forever.

I didn't say they were fools - but I do think they appear to have bought into their own hubris at time. This is reinforced by Pop's snarkiness whenever faced with any kind of question that challenges him - he responds by trying to make the person asking seem stupid or inferior rather than understanding that facing challenging questions is the cost of leadership. For as critical he is of certain political leaders, he ironically demonstrates a lot of the same fundamental character flaws as seen in them when it comes to facing accountability. Only a handful of privileged individuals in this world get to post prolonged substandard results and are empowered to simply respond with "be patient" rather to be held to account.

With that said, I admittedly am dealing with imperfect information. Maybe Pop has some 400-slide PowerPoint Deck he and Wright have run ownership through and everyone is fully on board. Or maybe Holt Jr. and RC have had stern conversations with Pop and Wright about the basketball product. Maybe... or maybe they aren't the right people leading the next era of Spurs basketball.
    This newest Holt has made it clear his feeling in past contract discussions and during the draft process. You can hold out hope that he is lying I guess.

Just because other teams churn through leadership does not make it a good policy. You have to replace them. They are HoF and no one but a few around here and Stephen Jackson take issue.

Little of what you write here has anything to do with basketball. It is just complaints about his abrasiveness and politics.

As I said before, I am interested in what happens moving forward in the Wemby era and not much in the woulda coulda shouldas from the KJ era. If you want to say it would've been wiser to tank a few years earlier I do not disagree but the outcome is the outcome.

They are going to add talent around him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team sucks.

What else you want me to say? I can lie to you if you want. We can talk about drafts/future, etc. If that makes you feel better.

But, the team still sucks.

Don't worry much about it. I ain't gonna be around much longer. I love basketball. Grew up playing and coaching basketball. Can barely walk or hold a cup of coffee because of it. This ain't basketball. Cuz...y'know. The team sucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the old days, if a team sucked they didn’t really make money. Today though all teams make a boatload of money and really I don’t know if ownership wants a winner.

Pop has to go. It’s his time. Belichick was fired so why not Pop? He has nothing left to prove and honestly he can’t teach players anymore. Nobody on this damn team has learned anything except Wemby. We need to go younger and progressive. Time to play an offense that is with the times.

The GM has to go. Does anybody really trust Wright to make correct draft picks when there’s no easy lay up involved. I don’t. Dude hasn’t shown an ability to scout talent. We are about the least talented team in the league.

We also need to remake the roster. I expect the first 4 years to find guys that actually fit around Wemby. But that means kicking people off the team. If you’re mediocre or can’t play a role then you’re off the team. It’s that simple. We need a wing defender, a PG, a PF, and a SF. And really a second option as well. It’s going to take some time to get this right but staying put is the worst move in the world and just shows your franchise player that you don’t give a about winning.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team sucks.

What else you want me to say? I can lie to you if you want. We can talk about drafts/future, etc. If that makes you feel better.

But, the team still sucks.

Don't worry much about it. I ain't gonna be around much longer. I love basketball. Grew up playing and coaching basketball. Can barely walk or hold a cup of coffee because of it. This ain't basketball. Cuz...y'know. The team sucks.
    Good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This newest Holt has made it clear his feeling in past contract discussions and during the draft process. You can hold out hope that he is lying I guess.
    I must have missed the comments, perhaps you can point me to them and they'll better educate my opinion of him. All I've ever heard from him is that the Spurs aren't moving and that he is happy they won the lottery.

Just because other teams churn through leadership does not make it a good policy. You have to replace them. They are HoF and no one but a few around here and Stephen Jackson take issue.
    Indeed. No issue with continued, prolonged losing. That's the problem. Even HoFers eventually aren't the right fit for the job. Again I ask, what has this Front Office and Coach done in the last 7 years to give you, or any other fan, confidence?

Little of what you write here has anything to do with basketball. It is just complaints about his abrasiveness and politics.
    It's actually not a post about abrasiveness or politics. The abrasiveness is merely a symptom of the root cause: the lack of any accountability whatsoever. And you certainly know from your time in the Politics forum that I am aligned with Pop on the political issues, not opposed. The political observation is again just pointing out symptoms of the root cause. If you don't want to engage, then just don't, but I know you're wiser than to simply engage in blanket dismissals.

As I said before, I am interested in what happens moving forward in the Wemby era and not much in the woulda coulda shouldas from the KJ era. If you want to say it would've been wiser to tank a few years earlier I do not disagree but the outcome is the outcome.
    It's a convenient position. In a couple of years of a continued lack of success, Pop can tell us to be patient and we can all just say we aren't interested in the past - only moving forward. It's this type of general apathy that reinforces their lack of accountability. Keep buying those tickets! We'll be good eventually I PROMISE.

They are going to add talent around him.
    Sure, just like they winning was important this year, to the point of Pop saying it was "mandatory"

What's wild is the apparent inability to recognize that Pop is an all-time Coach, while simultaneously not being the right person for this rebuild. If they turn it around, I'll be hear to eat crow. If they don't, I doubt any of the sniff crew will be. "WE ARE BEING PATIENT."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs in particular and the NBA in general has degraded, in my opinion, to the point of being unwatchable.
    I miss Tim Duncan. A purposeful way of playing-smart even though most often the opponent was more athletic.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    National reporters generally don't criticize him either.
    Wrong. National media has clowned popovich this year. Just today ESPN reporters were clowning him on the hoops collective podcast. There have been many others

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The worst part of this season is that the Spurs appear to be improving only because popovich has reversed some of his horrendous decisions from earlier in the year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the old days, if a team sucked they didn’t really make money. Today though all teams make a boatload of money and really I don’t know if ownership wants a winner.

Pop has to go. It’s his time. Belichick was fired so why not Pop? He has nothing left to prove and honestly he can’t teach players anymore. Nobody on this damn team has learned anything except Wemby. We need to go younger and progressive. Time to play an offense that is with the times.

The GM has to go. Does anybody really trust Wright to make correct draft picks when there’s no easy lay up involved. I don’t. Dude hasn’t shown an ability to scout talent. We are about the least talented team in the league.

We also need to remake the roster. I expect the first 4 years to find guys that actually fit around Wemby. But that means kicking people off the team. If you’re mediocre or can’t play a role then you’re off the team. It’s that simple. We need a wing defender, a PG, a PF, and a SF. And really a second option as well. It’s going to take some time to get this right but staying put is the worst move in the world and just shows your franchise player that you don’t give a about winning.
    I will stand up for Wright a bit and say that we don't know how empowered he really is. Is he making the ultimate decisions on draft day, or is the board set by Pop? The one thing that does give me some hope is that the FO has shown the proclivity to make moves these last few years, which we hope would be an indicator that they won't be aggressive in making moves to build, rather than break down. It's yet to be seen, but that is the main glimmer of optimism I can find in terms of the FO's team building capabilities. I'd say that the DJM and Trae rumors at least provide a small amount in confidence that they're active to some degree.

This summer will be big. The FO does have a decent pathway to improvement with a not-super-aggressive summer. Draft your two top-10 picks and replace the flotsam with some semi-capable vets. I'm just one person, but that's my opinion of the bare minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol well according to the old man, we don’t know what we’re talking about if we criticize his coaching. His crappy record with a generational talent doesn’t already “say it all.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I must have missed the comments, perhaps you can point me to them and they'll better educate my opinion of him. All I've ever heard from him is that the Spurs aren't moving and that he is happy they won the lottery.

Indeed. No issue with continued, prolonged losing. That's the problem. Even HoFers eventually aren't the right fit for the job. Again I ask, what has this Front Office and Coach done in the last 7 years to give you, or any other fan, confidence?

It's actually not a post about abrasiveness or politics. The abrasiveness is merely a symptom of the root cause: the lack of any accountability whatsoever. And you certainly know from your time in the Politics forum that I am aligned with Pop on the political issues, not opposed. The political observation is again just pointing out symptoms of the root cause. If you don't want to engage, then just don't, but I know you're wiser than to simply engage in blanket dismissals.

It's a convenient position. In a couple of years of a continued lack of success, Pop can tell us to be patient and we can all just say we aren't interested in the past - only moving forward. It's this type of general apathy that reinforces their lack of accountability. Keep buying those tickets! We'll be good eventually I PROMISE.

Sure, just like they winning was important this year, to the point of Pop saying it was "mandatory"

What's wild is the apparent inability to recognize that Pop is an all-time Coach, while simultaneously not being the right person for this rebuild. If they turn it around, I'll be hear to eat crow. If they don't, I doubt any of the sniff crew will be. "WE ARE BEING PATIENT."
    all that line by line and still no discussion of actual basketball.

You mean other than the 5 year contract?

“His ability to connect and spend time and bounce between the really detailed development of basketball players and the bigger picture of developing people is just so impressive,” Spurs managing partner Peter J. Holt said in May. “I think no matter what Pop does, he’s going to find a way to do that because that’s in his heart. And I’m excited to see whatever the next phase is in that journey.”

This was last May when he gave Popovich said contract.

Popovich is accountable. To Holt and his stakeholders. The writing is on the wall. Looks like you will have to suffer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are both spoiled and completely lacking of any knowledge about basketball whatsoever. They'd be better off going to a city unpopulated with so many morons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all that line by line and still no discussion of actual basketball.

You mean other than the 5 year contract?

“His ability to connect and spend time and bounce between the really detailed development of basketball players and the bigger picture of developing people is just so impressive,” Spurs managing partner Peter J. Holt said in May. “I think no matter what Pop does, he’s going to find a way to do that because that’s in his heart. And I’m excited to see whatever the next phase is in that journey.”

This was last May when he gave Popovich said contract.

Popovich is accountable. To Holt and his stakeholders. The writing is on the wall. Looks like you will have to suffer.
    At the end of basketball games, they award wins and losses, right? How we doing on that front?

Since you won’t directly answer what this FO has done in the last 7 years to give you confidence they can build a winner (seems like that is “about basketball”)… I’ll just assume it’s because Peter Holt said some nice things about the person he gave a record breaking contract to. At least that’s cleared up. Thanks.
    Last edited by scott; 02-26-2024 at 10:52 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of basketball games, they award wins and losses, right? How we doing on that front?
    i have no interest in the play-in treadmill. I am cool they took a questionable shooting team and subtracted it's best shooter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait for him to get there then spend , that is what all great sustainable teams have done.
    Who says they can get what they need when they want it? If it can be gotten now, it'll help expedite his growth.

.Little of what you write here has anything to do with basketball. It is just complaints about his abrasiveness and politics.
    I realize you didn't ask me, but just to be clear, my contention is with neither of those two things (though the former is played out).

I will stand up for Wright a bit and say that we don't know how empowered he really is. Is he making the ultimate decisions on draft day, or is the board set by Pop?
    My point exactly. It's not to absolve Wright so much as put his role into context.

The only thing I've ever heard on that front was Windhorst a few years ago saying there was internal disagreement on how to proceed. It seemed the old guard was opposed to a full on re-build. Soon after, the teardown began in earnest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Since you won’t directly answer what this FO has done in the last 7 years to give you confidence they can build a winner (seems like that is “about basketball”)… I’ll just assume it’s because Peter Holt said some nice things about the person he gave a record breaking contract to. At least that’s cleared up. Thanks.
    I already told you directly that I liked the way they were developing Wemby. i think he has a much better shot to have a 10+ year HoF type career with how they are handling him.

I like the power structure with Wright in the mix. I understand their plan to leverage their player development while stocking up and maximizing draft slots.

Then of course there is the majority of his career that you bias out of hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs fans are both spoiled and completely lacking of any knowledge about basketball whatsoever. They'd be better off going to a city unpopulated with so many morons.
    Says the poster who brings nothing of substance. It’s like rinse and repeat with your dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol well according to the old man, we don’t know what we’re talking about if we criticize his coaching. His crappy record with a generational talent doesn’t already “say it all.”
    for fun, can you give us the quote of what he actually said?

Thread Information