Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McGrady was coming for cheaper. Once TD rejected magic offer, they just offered McGrady a bigger contract.
    This is true; thats how I remember that going down

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs whole off-season.

You trade Bertans for nothing.
    Morris doesn't sign with you.
    Carroll now getting traded or bought out, even if he stays he is still a bust.

That's a terrible off-season, even if it's not 100% their fault, you have to fire that GM.

*Forgot, signed Trey Lyles the worst starting PF/C in the league. It's Pop fault that he is starting though so I don't blame the GM for that.
    Last edited by cool cat; 02-03-2020 at 05:09 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. Bad off season. But it looked like a near perfect one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean that same losing mentality with DeRozan like we have now where they aren’t on track to even have a winning record despite being fully healthy? That losing mentality?
    DD has a pretty good winning record. He is our best player and deserves all-star selection. DD deserves no blame for this team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Poeltl rumors make no sense . . . which makes perfect sense for the Spurs senile front office of the past 4 years.

3 team trade . . .

To Hornets: Lee
    To Mavericks: Carroll, Belinelli
    To Spurs: Williams, Broekhoff

Hornets save a prorated $2.2 million and do right by a respected veteran.
    Mavericks get a bigger 3ish and Dish wing and more proven shooter, while staying salary neutral.
    Spurs get an upgrade in shooting, stop gap starting "PF" and a cheaper, younger shooter. They add a prorated $3.6 million, but still easily duck the tax.

Celtics. Outliner because they were on the receiving end of one of the most lopsided deals, taking advantage of a short sighted billionair. Not only is the Nets a good example of not what to do, but despite the lopsided deal, Celtics only got to hold onto Brown and Tantum. Lottery picks after another, they only had Irving for 2 years.

Cuban ruined Dirks last 8 or so years in the league, only making the playoffs for half the time. Cuban gave up on trying to defend thier campionship to make a run in free agency in 2013, to miss out. Despite cap space, they sat in the lottery for 3 staight years.

Pelicans had one of the best bigs in the league, despite having that number 1 pick, they got in the second round once. What makes it seem this time it's different?

Did you really bring up the Suns and the Kings. How many lotteries do they want to have until they finally make a splash?

Hawks and Memphis are run similarlly too the Spurs. It wasn't long ago the Hawks were in the eastern conference finals. Memphis, like the Spurs, have always been loyal.

Your right, Nuggets success was dependant on Jokic, drafted in the second round. Their second best player (max contract) Murray, is not something they should be banking on.

Sixers, they were the laughing stock of the NBA, and wasn't it Stern that forced the Sixers to fire their GM? They not only hold the worst winning percentage in league history but they also hold the most consequetive losses. Despite this, they had two overally number 1 picks, two overall number 3, and one number 10. If it wasn't for Embid leg injury whom fell to 3, the Sixers wouldn't have much. And despite the cap space with all these rookie contracts, they blew their load on Harris.

No mention of the Knicks, Hornets, Bulls, Cavs, Pistons, and Twolves. How many lotteries do they need for things to finally work out?

What does any of this have to do with the original question? It's not about the reasoning behind how they received it, it's about the fact that they possesses it and where it was mostly derived from.

I'm not suggesting that all these teams are on their way to championship contention, just that they have legit core (either already superstars or stars or the potential to be) building blocks, unlike the Spurs.

One adendum: Despite the questionable long term health outlook, I actually think Porter Jr. is the second best Nuggets building block.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the rings Tmac would have if he joined Tim in San Antonio on a cheaper contract in 2000. Spurs would also have Tony and Manu on the way. Prime Tmac was amazing. It would have been the big 4 instead of the big 3.
    Big 4 would not have lasted as long as Big 3. Not enough $.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

spurs wouldn't be a laughingstock anymore.
    This trade would improve the team. I think there are better trades out there but I’d prefer this to doing nothing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine the rings Tmac would have if he joined Tim in San Antonio on a cheaper contract in 2000. Spurs would also have Tony and Manu on the way. Prime Tmac was amazing. It would have been the big 4 instead of the big 3.
    Bowen >>> TMac on defense. I know it's always the Big 3, but I don't think Spurs ring without a lockdown perimeter defensive guy.. Elliott, Bowen and Kawhi just imo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetically, Philly may be getting a little desperate and that'll only grow if they lose to the Heat. I'm not a big Harris guy and I wouldn't want to trade for him myself (at his current salary) but, I could see Pop doing something like this thinking he could still have a shot at the 8th seed and getting an asset back:

Would we?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ufcwf8u

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McGrady was coming for cheaper. Once TD rejected magic offer, they just offered McGrady a bigger contract.
    Uh, no. As a 20 YO, he averaged 15.4p/6.3r/3.3a, and was unrestricted under the CBA existing at the time, like Tim. He was gonna get PAID and wouldn't need to take a discount from anyone. There was no lower contract offered. There was no contract offered at all until Tim backed out. Orlando had two MAX slots, and they had already signed Grant Hill. It was Duncan OR McGrady.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hypothetically, Philly may be getting a little desperate and that'll only grow if they lose to the Heat. I'm not a big Harris guy and I wouldn't want to trade for him myself (at his current salary) but, I could see Pop doing something like this thinking he could still have a shot at the 8th seed and getting an asset back:

Would we?

In a heartbeat.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Would we?

thats a terrible trade for sixers... even knicks wouldnt that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Would we?

I was running through the trade machine, and was thinking what babies Spurs fans are about our contracts when two basic 3andDs like Tobias Harris and Kris Middleton are making north of 30 ing million dollars.

In answer to your question, no we wouldn't. You only take on a contract like that if it puts you into the conference finals, at the very least.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski
    , the Rockets are shopping Capela in trades with Eastern Conference teams -- particularly three-way trades that might allow Houston to nab the draft assets to get an impact wing player. Per the report, the Rockets are hoping a potential trade of Capela -- or Capela-involved deals -- would net them a wing player by the 3 p.m. ET deadline on Thursday.

But...but... picks in this upcoming draft are worthless.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It means, tanking does not guarantee success. Usually you tank for a few years to be in the same situation we are in now.
    Nothing guarantees success. And nothing guarantees failure quite as much as mismanagement. Finding untapped talent is sort of the game in the draft AND in trades. Nobody wants to give up a better player than they ship.

Building a contender usually depends on both the draft and the trade/FA market. Ignoring the value of a top-tier player on a cheap rookie contract is ridiculous. Ideally, you put together a nucleus of young players and let them grow up together. That way you own their Bird Rights so you can afford to sign them when they're finally ripe. THEN you add pieces through trades and/or free agency.

The Spurs were at the bottom of the draft for 20 or so years. Only recently have they even gotten talent from the middle. There are always hidden gems in every draft, but the talent is still concentrated at the top. If they're capable of finding pretty good players in the middle, they should have a better chance than most teams of finding exceptional talent nearer the top. And if they can't do that, they're just as screwed trying to do the same thing in the trade market, aren't they?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing guarantees success. And nothing guarantees failure quite as much as mismanagement. Finding untapped talent is sort of the game in the draft AND in trades. Nobody wants to give up a better player than they ship.

Building a contender usually depends on both the draft and the trade/FA market. Ignoring the value of a top-tier player on a cheap rookie contract is ridiculous. Ideally, you put together a nucleus of young players and let them grow up together. That way you own their Bird Rights so you can afford to sign them when they're finally ripe. THEN you add pieces through trades and/or free agency.

The Spurs were at the bottom of the draft for 20 or so years. Only recently have they even gotten talent from the middle. There are always hidden gems in every draft, but the talent is still concentrated at the top. If they're capable of finding pretty good players in the middle, they should have a better chance than most teams of finding exceptional talent nearer the top. And if they can't do that, they're just as screwed trying to do the same thing in the trade market, aren't they?
    Good points until the final line. For some reason PATFO plays the draft game much better than the trade game - or FA game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...but... picks in this upcoming draft are worthless.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    The Rockets don't want picks for the draft. They want picks so they can trade for Covington

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good news is that we only have 3 more days to wonder if the Spurs will do something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, no. As a 20 YO, he averaged 15.4p/6.3r/3.3a, and was unrestricted under the CBA existing at the time, like Tim. He was gonna get PAID and wouldn't need to take a discount from anyone. There was no lower contract offered. There was no contract offered at all until Tim backed out. Orlando had two MAX slots, and they had already signed Grant Hill. It was Duncan OR McGrady.
    I'm sure you're correct but I blame ESPN for spreading fluff reenactments of the older times.
    This is one of two segments that claimed the Orlando big 3 was on the table pending TD saying yes. So evidently it aired for entertainment purposes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO. First you argue how wise the Pistons were for trading superstar Grant Hill for those guys, then you turn right around and say they could have easily gotten those same players without trading superstar Grant Hill for them?

You don't even have an argument. Just say whatever is convenient.
    You just make it up as you go. I bet you talk to yourself a lot. The Hill deal was historical reference and had little to do with the original post. No need to go any further with the comprehensive challenged.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Would we?

Man I had a similar thought today, but Got damn was that Harris contract! That’s as untouchable as untouchable gets.

On the flip side, we’re gonna suck for a while so why not be a graveyard for a few years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread is more fruitless than Load Management's thread, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

People here want a change for a sake of a change because for once our future is bleak. As Chinook said and was totally ignored, Spurs can gut and tank at any time. Currently the Spurs will have cap space in 2021, with Samanic, Johnson, Walker, White, Murray, and two more 1st round rookies. That's our future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same with Bill Simmons( got hack) wrote the "Tank" 96-97 San Antonio Spurs season and it's become cannon. 70% of his "big book" is from his daddy told him anyway. , David breaks his foot and sits out the rest of the season and got Billy Boy says that he could have come back that season.

WTF?

For a GUY writing about basketball history did he not write about Bill Walton and his foot problems, Sam Bowie with his foot problems,and Ralph Samson with BACK problems? David had both, sow why would Pop want him to return early for any ing reason that season. Lottery is a lottery not a guarantee. This is what media hacks do. Recreate reality and history to for entertainment purposes. Dave was THE FRANCHISE.
    I never thought it was as much for entertainment purposes as 1) dragging down the Spurs' organization and 2) providing revisionist legitimacy for more recent "tanking" strategies.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I had a similar thought today, but Got damn was that Harris contract! That’s as untouchable as untouchable gets.

On the flip side, we’re gonna suck for a while so why not be a graveyard for a few years?
    Swap Horford for Harris...

Thread Information