Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Oilers
    Post Count
    Godell looks like he's ready to go take his Ambien and go to bed lol

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Nah. we've seen it in 2 consecutive years, when push comes to shove, as flashy as lamar is, he'll never be even an average starting QB in terms of a passer. The Ravens get in trouble when they fall behind and they just can't come back because they can't throw their way back in the game.

Sure lamar will rack up the easy yards against soft zone in garbage time. But when he needs to throw the Ravens back in it when they're actually in striking distance, he takes sacks, fumbles, throws bad picks. Heck he threw the moonball against Andrews that started the whole problem in the ans embarrassment, the kind that often gets your tight end injured, that time it got picked, and he showed his immaturity with a dumb penalty on the end of that play too... boom, 7 quick points the other way.
    lamar just led the NFL in touchdown passes

hes developing

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    lamar just led the NFL in touchdown passes

hes developing
    he did... with a *whopping* 36... in a year mahomes was injured and missed time, the rams really regressed, luck retired, rodgers was nerfed by scheme, big ben missed the season, carroll ran his RBs in to the ground (and literally to IR), and brady/brees got too damn... well, old.

I remember reading something like 24 of his 36 TD passes were from inside the red zone. So it's not like he was throwing a ton of deep strikes.

Regardless, Jackson is Michael Vick 2.0 and he has a way better defense and coaching unit than those '00s Falcons ever had. But that's what Jackson is. He'll never be some godly passer. He's an electrifying running QB with the ability to hit his first read from the pocket if it's wide open, or scramble and either run or look for a second option on the move if it's not.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    he did... with a *whopping* 36... in a year mahomes was injured and missed time, the rams really regressed, luck retired, rodgers was nerfed by scheme, big ben missed the season, carroll ran his RBs in to the ground (and literally to IR), and brady/brees got too damn... well, old.

I remember reading something like 24 of his 36 TD passes were from inside the red zone. So it's not like he was throwing a ton of deep strikes.

Regardless, Jackson is Michael Vick 2.0 and he has a way better defense and coaching unit than those '00s Falcons ever had. But that's what Jackson is. He'll never be some godly passer. He's an electrifying running QB with the ability to hit his first read from the pocket if it's wide open, or scramble and either run or look for a second option on the move if it's not.
    those 8 QB's (mahomes/goff/luck/rodgers/ben/wilson/brady/brees) have had a combined 12 seasons with more than 36 touchdown passes.

lamar only had 1 good wide receiver on the roster, who was a rookie that was hurt during the season. im not confusing him with brees, but he clearly developed a ton between year 1 and 2, and now he's getting another weapon

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Packers drafting a QB in the first round sticks out to me.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Packers drafting a QB in the first round sticks out to me.
    Vikings are having a great draft, not just with what they are doing, but with how badly the Packers have faceplanted. the packers have had the worst draft by a significant margin. packers also gave up their 4th round pick just to move up for Love

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Vikings are having a great draft
    Drafting the positions I'd prefer. I haven't spent the time to know if they're drafting the right persons. Hopefully the WR they drafted in RD1 is a speed guy in lieu of height. Diggs was our best go-route guy, and he is gone.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Drafting the positions I'd prefer. I haven't spent the time to know if they're drafting the right persons. Hopefully the WR they drafted in RD1 is a speed guy in lieu of height. Diggs was our best go-route guy, and he is gone.
    Jefferson played almost all slot at LSU and won with route running, made a lot of contested catches. Reason he jumped on the draft board is because he also ran in the 4.4 range at the combine, which is faster than he showed on tape, showing that he may have more potential on the outside than previously thought.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Jefferson played almost all slot at LSU and won with route running, made a lot of contested catches. Reason he jumped on the draft board is because he also ran in the 4.4 range at the combine, which is faster than he showed on tape, showing that he may have more potential on the outside than previously thought.
    Well, Thielen is a great slot guy; but it doesn't hurt to have two. Thielen isn't really made to take a beating for 16 games on too many catches, imo.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Mayock's press conference today said that the #80 pick, Lynn Bowden will primarily be a running back to start, and if he picks that up well, they'll expand his role. He's also expected to return punts. So by their board, they have drafted 2 WR's, not 3. He also said Ruggs is expected to return kicks, which is interesting.

my grading so far

Ruggs - Correct position, simply the wrong player. I would have been OK with this pick if Jeudy and Lamb were both off the board, but they were both there. They still get some credit for getting a WR and a weapon that will hopefully incentivize Carr to throw downfield more.

Grade: B-

Damon Arnette - Once again, correct position, wrong player. The Raiders needed to come out of the first round with a WR and a CB (unless somebody crazy fell), and they did. But between Diggs, Gladney, Johnson, Fulton, there were simply superior players available to a 24 year old corner with at ude concerns. He plays physical man coverage, but doesnt have great long speed, so he's going to have to win at the line of scrimmage or get toasted.

Grade: B-

Lynn Bowden - They're drafting him as a running back with the hope of expanding his role to be a more versatile piece like Randle Cobb was for the Packers early in his career before injuries. He will also return punts. I question the value of effectively grabbing a backup RB in the 3rd round. I like that he can also play receiver, because we didn't have much talent there going into the draft. The offense did need more explosiveness, though.

Grade: C

Bryan Edwards - This is probably the only pick that I love in this spot. I had Edwards listed as being one of the good receivers to target in the draft (had him in the same tier as Shenault and Hamler https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...1#post10125339). He also complements Ruggs extremely well as a bigger, go up and get it receiver with great ball skills and good speed. Fell because he had a late foot injury that didn't let him participate at the combine. But a good dart throw for a guy who will hopefully replace Tyrell Williams.

Grade: A

Tanner Muse - He is a pretty good athlete (4.4 speed) and will be playing linebacker and special teams where his skill set will be used at its best. He is particularly good at diagnosing and wrecking screen plays, and is a strong tackler. But he will be changing positions to be a full time linebacker, and we spent most of our FA money on coverage linebackers in Littleton and Kwiatkowski, so this wasn't a huge need and he's a project. I don't see how this is justified in the 3rd round.

Grade: D

While I very much disliked the selections of Ruggs and Arnette, I couldn't give them grades lower than I gave because they still addressed the big positions of need with guys who are legitimately talented. While I disagreed with them, many mocks actually had Ruggs being the first receiver off the board, so it's not a huge objective reach even if I personally didn't like it.

Shaky draft overall tbh... we have 2 in the fourth and 1 in the fifth remaining, and that's it. Still think we need to grab at least 1 more corner. Legitimately would not hate taking the top kicker with our 5th round pick. Carlson was pretty shaky after he performed well as a rook

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Well, Thielen is a great slot guy; but it doesn't hurt to have two. Thielen isn't really made to take a beating for 16 games on too many catches, imo.
    jefferson has a pretty high floor imo, safe pick to be a productive player.

he put up huge college numbers, played in a pro style offense, won with route running, and then also tested as a good athlete. not a lot to dislike. if he played more on the outside and still maintained his production, he probably wouldnt have made it to the 20s. the uncertainty of whether he can be a boundary receiver is what has held him back from being a tier 1 prospect, as opposed to jeudy/lamb

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    Which one is the fastest? Go with that one.
    Sup spurraider21?

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    lol Chiefs picking a running back in the first round.

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    im liking the jags draft picks. filling needs while basically stating that Minshew Mania is our savior, at least for the upcoming season. Now we just need help on the offensive line and a couple DBs and another RB and im ready for the season.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    saints were smart taking a center, they were definitely worse last year after losing Unger
    LOL

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Trent Williams

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Vikings are having a great draft, not just with what they are doing, but with how badly the Packers have faceplanted. the packers have had the worst draft by a significant margin. packers also gave up their 4th round pick just to move up for Love
    Eagles imo deserve a mention. Only decent player they got was that late 3rd round LB

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Also Cowboys got the best Day 3 corner in Robinson, so I'm stoked. Another 6'1, 6'2 guy with 4.4 speed and ball skills. Nuts

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    mccoy was a reach in the 2nd last year, but he'll be a serviceable guard I guess

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Oh snap! With a year off he'll be a beast.

Didn't realize Staley retired this morning. Absolute necessity imo.

My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    mccoy was a reach in the 2nd last year, but he'll be a serviceable guard I guess
    He started every game and was very good. Larry Warford is the odd man out on the line.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Oh snap! With a year off he'll be a beast.

Didn't realize Staley retired this morning. Absolute necessity imo.
    I think the move is connected. Staley was dragging his feet returning and the two players share the same position. I think Staley told management to pull the trigger

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Fromm gonna go Tom Brady and be GOAT after being passed over for several rounds

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

Thread Information