Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The owner has come out since the playoffs, and said he doesn’t think they can keep the team together. They can get rid of a BUNCH of other players,and then need to go buy some in FA to replace them. Or, they can let one relatively inexpensive player walk when he’s no longer inexpensive. Or, they could take some redundant parts from us who are still cheap, Lonnie and/or Luka, and get some you assets for Collins.
    I'm praying they let go Collins then.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just think it's paramount that the Spurs trade Murray if they want to move toward a clean roster with a good developmental framework. Then they can sign a backup PG or draft one to compete with Jones. Let's assume they trade Murray to New York for 21 and use that pick on Jared Butler. Then they could use 12 on Kispert and some random PF with 41. Bring back Dieng and you get.

White, Butler, Jones
    Vassell, Walker, Weatherspoon
    Johnson, Kispert, KBD
    Collins, Samanic, PF at 41
    Poeltl, Dieng, Eubanks,

And if I did my numbers correctly, that's enough space to look at another big contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just think it's paramount that the Spurs trade Murray if they want to move toward a clean roster with a good developmental framework. Then they can sign a backup PG or draft one to compete with Jones. Let's assume they trade Murray to New York for 21 and use that pick on Jared Butler. Then they could use 12 on Kispert and some random PF with 41. Bring back Dieng and you get.

White, Butler, Jones
    Johnson, Kispert, KBD
    Poeltl, Dieng, Eubanks,

And if I did my numbers correctly, that's enough space to look at another big contract.
    You severely undervalue DJ.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

White, Butler, Jones
    Johnson, Kispert, KBD
    Poeltl, Dieng, Eubanks,

Chinook, I like all your post! But I disagree on Murray. In my opinion, Murray is rapidly developing into an all star. By this coming season he could have a reliable 3-pt shot and will be a 20+ point Guy. With his confidence, work ethic, he could be a our foundation guy. Plus, he is a very good rebounder and defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends. A lot of fans of other teams consider him to be the least valuable of the young players SA has. Of course, I'd be happy if SA got a better trade for him. But clean cap and a new young PG who has a good defensive rep isn't that bad. It just shows how for argument's sake the team could still build around young players and have a max slot open even while throwing everything at Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jimminy Cricket he's worth much more than a 21st draft pick.
    Did you mix up Jared and Jimmy, or is Jimminy Cricket someone's nickname?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends. A lot of fans of other teams consider him to be the least valuable of the young players SA has. Of course, I'd be happy if SA got a better trade for him. But clean cap and a new young PG who has a good defensive rep isn't that bad. It just shows how for argument's sake the team could still build around young players and have a max slot open even while throwing everything at Collins.
    This is so easily wrong that it took seconds for me to disprove it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...tm_name=iossmf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither the fans of this team, nor the fans of other teams make the decisions about drafting or FAs.

The two players every guard fears to bring the ball up against for a whole game are Jrue and DJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is so easily wrong that it took seconds for me to disprove it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...tm_name=iossmf
    You actually didn't disprove anything. I didn't say "every fan believes Murray is the least valuable". You showed an example of some dudes on Reddit thinking Murray is the Spurs' core. To an extent I even agree with them that Pop probably still considers Murray the team's franchise. But I guess that's why when Pop stubs his toe, I don't feel it. A lot of fans basically think of Murray as a defensive guard with bad offense. I usually push back on that when it's on like RGM, because despite my rep, I don't actually hate Murray. I don't think he's less valuable than Walker or even Johnson (whom a lot of other fans love the most, if you were wondering), but I do think him being the franchise holds the Spurs back more than Mills, Gay and DeRozan ever could.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woj, 12:01: The San Antonio Spurs have signed Patty Mills to a 3 year $45 million deal.& Rudy Gay 39/3 Last year TO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither the fans of this team, nor the fans of other teams make the decisions about drafting or FAs.
    That doesn't mean that other GMs don't agree. Remember how basically no one offered anything for Leonard because it turned out they agreed with fans on a bunch of knit-picky and tried to leverage the Spurs? Murray's flaws aren't just fan fiction. Again, though, it misses the point I was trying to make. That point wasn't getting fair value for Murray means a pick in the 20s or whatever. It was more that the pieces on the team basically work with a better way of organizing rather than the idea that they have to try to tank or take lotto tickets to have a future.

The two players every guard fears to bring the ball up against for a whole game are Jrue and DJ.
    Yeah... I think I read Dejounte saying something like. I'm assuming some article came out with some stat saying that. All I will say I hope some other team reads it and it convinces them to up their offer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If i trade someone it will be White, Dejounte is younger, improving every year ... also trading murray for a pick 15-20 will be pretty bad imo. Murray is a player that give you something with value : a good player( package murray +...) or moving up in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If i trade someone it will be White, Dejounte is younger, improving every year ... also trading murray for a pick 15-20 will be pretty bad imo. Murray is a player that give you something with value : a good player( package murray +...) or moving up in the draft.

I agree. I think Spurs like White better but the upside of Murray growing into a leader for the next 12 years might be too strong to pass by. This year should be a proper rebuild year and giving DJ the keys makes more sense than White. One more lottery pick next year and we should be in the playoffs the following one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not buying the athletic report although, I'm for moving one of them (and both if it were in a package for a real alpha). I see DJM as higher valued but I do think White could bring a pick between 16-25. I would need more for DJM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one cares that White is older. They're people, not milk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you mix up Jared and Jimmy, or is Jimminy Cricket someone's nickname?
    I guess people don't know Pinocchio anymore?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one cares that White is older. They're people, not milk.
    I’m sure they care that he gets hurt often, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DJ + DDR new deal would likely match Simmons $38M, just saying…

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope we keep Dejounte. I can see where White gets moved but he seems to be a Pop favourite as well. Probably we end up doing nothing as is usual..

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. It would be utterly stupid to trade Murray for the 21st pick. It’s highly unlikely to land a better player than Murray in the late first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. It would be utterly stupid to trade Murray for the 21st pick. It’s highly unlikely to land a better player than Murray in the late first.

That is some straight re ed . Lets trade a guy who massively out played his draft position,and is coming into his own for a late first round pick and hope it works out dont have to even discuss it because even the spurs fo isn't that stupid

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It simply says they are tradable. If there's a good deal spurs is willing to add them. That is different from they are on trading block. Trading for 21st pick (unless we are confident we can draft someone obviously better which won't be a guarantee cause 21st pick) is quite unlikely unless it's part of some.packagr where we get a star player in return

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, would I trade Lonnie for the 21st pick if I could get one of: Duarte, Springer, Trey Murphy, Garuba, or Thor? Absolutely.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jimminy Cricket he's worth much more than a 21st draft pick.
    Some people are just so desperate to get rid of him. I am surprised I have not seen a Murry for a 2nd rd pick top 59 protected or something like that. He is probably the best player on the Spurs and more will see it this coming year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You actually didn't disprove anything. I didn't say "every fan believes Murray is the least valuable". You showed an example of some dudes on Reddit thinking Murray is the Spurs' core. To an extent I even agree with them that Pop probably still considers Murray the team's franchise. But I guess that's why when Pop stubs his toe, I don't feel it. A lot of fans basically think of Murray as a defensive guard with bad offense. I usually push back on that when it's on like RGM, because despite my rep, I don't actually hate Murray. I don't think he's less valuable than Walker or even Johnson (whom a lot of other fans love the most, if you were wondering), but I do think him being the franchise holds the Spurs back more than Mills, Gay and DeRozan ever could.
    I feel like different points are being discussed here:

1) Your previous post said, "A lot of fans of other teams consider him to be the least value"
    2) What Pop considers Murray's role as
    3) Murray's strength and weaknesses
    4) How Murray holds the team back more than others

I'm only interested in the first, numbers 2-4 are too much to unpack because it's all purely opinion

I think for #1 MAYBE I didn't capture what you were looking for in that link, though I was pretty sure I saw some text that was related. Even then, I think by now you understand it's probably a heavy hobby of mine to keep track of what's going on with the Spurs in all forms of media. What you brought up was your experience on RealGM and what you may have read there formed your conclusion that "most fans hold DJ in this regard" which I don't think is totally fair. My experience on multiple platforms (IG, Twitter, Other teams' forum, Reddit, sometimes RGM) is I've seen a large share of fans from other teams covet DJ in a big way, and if I wanted to I could do a thorough search of posts, tweets, and so forth and present it here but that is MY experience just like yours is YOUR experience with RealGM. That is why I was so confident to say that your statement was wrong and it was not exclusive to a single reddit topic. Now, I could post those hundreds of tweets and posts but I'm pretty sure you believe me. Whether or not that would be enough to convince you is another story. Anyway, I TOTALLY understand why you post the way you do in recent years and you are en led to have those opinions obviously, but the reason I felt I needed to chime in on this was because I don't think it's fair to project your feelings onto others when they aren't true. That is all.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 07-09-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Thread Information