Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Especially after I read some Brits booed the National Anthem...
    ROFL
    whottt you don't take kindly to that kinda crap

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    i thought it was a good fight. i hate mayweather and joe cortez. i didn't get to see him knock floyd out but i think i really like ricky hatton now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ROFL
    whottt you don't take kindly to that kinda crap

Just depends...you don't think it was about the UK VS America for Hatton and the Brit Fans?

It's just like Spurs VS Lakers...only, we're the Lakers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First off, a certain one or two of you were saying that Hatton had little respect for Mayweather, what a load of .;'[]$%^.!

Hatton totally had respect, he is a very noble and honorable fighter with a sense of humor and a big heart.
    BS...Mayweather didn't think he could take umpteen hits from Hatton...Hatton thought he could from Mayweather...that's the ultimate form of disrespect. And it's why he wound up planted on his butt.

Yes Mayweather knocked Hatton on his ass, but he had to work very hard to do so.

As for speed, Hatton looked just as fast as Mayweather and constantly pushed Floyd into the ropes or corner. Mayweather though had a longer reach.
    You guys are on crack...Mayweather is just about the fastest boxer in the world. That reach doesn't do anything without speed backing it up...the fact that Mayweather hits the spots he wants to hit with such accuracy is a testaement to speed.

Mayweather was a complete tool during all the hype to this fight, no respect was really shown, however maybe that was just for the hype itself.

It's called selling the fight.

I indeed respect Mayweather's abilities and the fact that he is the best pound-for-pund but Hatton is no joke.

Mayweather showed great respect after the fight and I do like him for doing that. A great champion, but Hatton will keep on fighting as he always does.

End of the day, Hatton was outclassed, but it took much effort, both fighters deserve a pint from the fans!

"watch out, Amir Khan's about"

White guys, particularly British and American white guys...have this macho and frankly stupid at ude that they can take 150 blows to the head and not get knocked out and just one of their mighty punches will be enough to fell their weaker opponents.

And don't tell me Hatton doesn't have that at ude...you can see it written all over his face.

I hardly ever see a black fighter with at ude...the Black guys generally take as much pride in not getting hit as they do in knocking someone out...sometimes more.

I've seen this fight a million times, not always a black vs white thing, I'll see some black fighters with the punchers at ude, and they also eventually run into a guy that beats the out of them because he's not willing to take the hits they are...but I never see a white American or Brit fighter who takes pride in not getting hit...

That's why they get their asses kicked ultimately in these fights...not a man been born that can take an indefinite pounding to the head and not ultimately get knocked unconcious from it.

And I'm a white guy, I know the at ude me and my friends had growing up...our constests were always about punching each other in the arm and seeing who could hit the hardest, and take the hardest hit...that's the same at ude Hatton and many other caucasian boxers have. And it is a form of extreme disrespect...the Black fighters aren't sitting there saying I can take 50 million shots to the head...they are saying, mofo, you can't even touch me. And I don't want to take 50 shots to the head anyway.

To quote Floyd Mayweather...I'm not out there to prove I can take a punch.

Muhammad Ali wasn't either.

And I see just about every time push comes to shove in a le bout...it's not really that way with the Russians or other Europeans...just mainly the Americans, Brits and Irish.

Stay tuned...Kelly Pavlik is going to get his ass kicked by Jermaine Taylor in that rematch...unless he becomes a whole lot faster and more accurate with his punches...not to mention does a better job of avoiding Taylor's.

Boxing, especially modern boxing with the rules and rounds and gloves, is about speed...

Sure some punchers have some success...but you have to work a lot harder to win as a puncher than as a boxer.

If a guy wants to be a dominant puncher...he needs to be as conditioned as Rocky Marciano...with that same kind of power. Every punch Marciano threw was a knockout punch, from the first till the last...so hard, that even when guys would block it with their forearms, he'd shatter the blood vessels in their arms. That's how you have to do it...that kind of power, that kind of conditioning...and to top all that off, Marciano didn't take a lot hits either.

I can tell you are probably from the UK, and I'd be willing to bet before this fighyt you didn't think there was anyway Hatton was going to get knocked out...I OTOH, knew he was...I know what the of which I speak.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And BTW, I don't buy into the at ude that some fighters are incapable of beating some other fighters...any fighter can be beat by any other fighter, if the fighter fights good enough. Hatton is capable of beating Mayweather...but he's not going to do it by letting Mayweather tee off on his head like it's a speedbag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor. How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor. How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.
    As the biggest Chavez fan in the world, I can't really say that he beat Taylor. Taylor dominated the whole fight till the very last seconds. Still one of the greatest fights/endings I have ever seen. I do prefer a real fighter over a jab and duck boxer, but I do have to admit that speed does kill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As the biggest Chavez fan in the world, I can't really say that he beat Taylor. Taylor dominated the whole fight till the very last seconds. Still one of the greatest fights/endings I have ever seen. I do prefer a real fighter over a jab and duck boxer, but I do have to admit that speed does kill.
    I totally disagree with your assesment of the Chavez fight, but I'll agree that it wasn't the greatest example.

Stomping on Laker haters Purple & Gold's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I totally disagree with your assesment of the Chavez fight, but I'll agree that it wasn't the greatest example.
    You don't think Taylor dominated that fight till he got rocked at the end? Even then it was a controversial stoppage. I remember going from deep depression to ultimate joy in a matter of seconds. The only time I really saw anybody give a prime Chavez a difficult time. And Meldrick's career was never the same after that.

Believe.
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    i never watched ricky hatton before,so all the information i was getting about him were from his fans and the british media,my conclusion is that the brits always overhype their people,just look at the likes of rooney,beckham lots more,if you read the british press you'd think that these guys are like Gods in their respective sports,but if you get to see them you'd ask yourself what was all the hype about?fact is rooney is but has got potential,(he may not become what they think he will be,because right now there's already guys younger than him who have fulfilled their potential in the same sport)beckham just knows how to cross the ball and hit that free kick (which he misses more than he hits,compare him to juninho the lyon guy) and finally Hatton (he was not even up to the task,all his talks about winning,he even say we should bank our houses on him winning)came the fight day,he's all hype!
    come on you brits,realize that you don't have enough talents and accept it,that way you can now start from the ground up:
    N.B:The english national soccer (football) team was tipped by the british media that they'd win the last worldcup,well we all know what happened,they're not even going to the european championships next year.Get real you brits

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think the brits overhype their people. They actually get behind their guys unlike Americans who take their sports hero's with a grain of salt. I really appreciated the effort of the brit fans they are what we should be.

I thought the fight was pretty good. Hatton clearly had the edge in ring generalship and Cortez flat refused to let Hatton work up close. If turning you back and lifting your shoulder up is defense then I guess Floyd did what he needed to do but I don't think he should have been breaking them up every single time so quickly. Its as if Cortez knew how to control Hattons gameplan.

In any event speed mattered on the final blow. Hatton was half way through his punch before Floyd even wound up the knock out blow. Had Hatton been able to work inside I think it would have been a tougher fight.

Great fight if you ask me, great atmosphere and Hatton controled the inside like I thought he would. Floyd got the better of him with speed in the middle of the ring with plety of help from Cortez.

The point deduction was a ing joke.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I tried...I really tried. I had it streaming while watching the UFC on e, so I watched the last 4 or 5 rds closely. I was hoping this boxing match would recapture my interest in the bigger boxing matches, but it just didn't.

I think I'm done with boxing after that debacle.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't think the brits overhype their people. They actually get behind their guys unlike Americans who take their sports hero's with a grain of salt.
    Watch some soccer and you will change your mind on that statement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This fight sucked, Mayweather was a little , but he was smart in this fight. I give him props for that, but he is still a dooche!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think Taylor dominated that fight till he got rocked at the end? Even then it was a controversial stoppage. I remember going from deep depression to ultimate joy in a matter of seconds. The only time I really saw anybody give a prime Chavez a difficult time. And Meldrick's career was never the same after that.
    He dominated the early half, but was taking some hard blows. The second half of the fight Chavez punished Taylor physically that resulted in all sorts of medical problems for Taylor after the fight. When Chavez finally knocked Taylor down, Taylor had had enough. Anymore would have resulted in death IMO.

I Am Jack's Smirking Revenge atxrocker's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    anyone posting saying that the fight "sucked" or was "boring" obviously either didn't watch the same fight as me or doesn't know a god damn thing about boxing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anyone posting saying that the fight "sucked" or was "boring" obviously either didn't watch the same fight as me or doesn't know a god damn thing about boxing.
    I agree, I was ready for a yawner but the fight was pretty good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was an excellent match. My one complaint is that I still can't get "walking in a Hatton Wonderland" out of my head.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whottt,

You make it sound like one style of boxing is better than the other. There have been some fantastic brawlers, and maybe the best fighters ever have been brawlers. I remember when Ceasar Chavez beat the fastest guy on earth in Meldrick Taylor.
    I definitely thing the rules in boxing, the equipment, every thing, are geared towards benefitting boxers who rely on speed over those who rely on power.

Definitely...I think in boxing, a boxer always has the advantage over a puncher.

How about recently when Pavlik kicked Taylor's ass.

Hey there are ton of exceptions...I am talking about the rule.

As for Pavlik VS Taylor...already commented on that...that fight was nearly a second round KO in Taylor's favor...

Let's wait on the rematch before passing final judgement...to make sure that wasn't just the proverbial punchers chance...

I promise you, Taylor is going to put a lot more effort into not getting hit the next time around...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was an excellent match. My one complaint is that I still can't get "walking in a Hatton Wonderland" out of my head.
    me either. ing brit love any reason to sing and get drunk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I definitely thing the rules in boxing, the equipment, every thing, are geared towards benefitting boxers who rely on speed over those who rely on power.

Definitely...I think in boxing, a boxer always has the advantage over a puncher.

Hey there are ton of exceptions...I am talking about the rule.

As for Pavlik VS Taylor...already commented on that...that fight was nearly a second round KO in Taylor's favor...

Let's wait on the rematch before passing final judgement...to make sure that wasn't just the proverbial punchers chance...

I promise you, Taylor is going to put a lot more effort into not getting hit the next time around...
    to be an exceptional fighter you need to have both skills. Best fighters of all time could box and knock people out. Ali, Hagler, Ray Robinson, etc...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to be an exceptional fighter you need to have both skills. Best fighters of all time could box and knock people out. Ali, Hagler, Ray Robinson, etc...

And as Mayweather just kinda showed...you'd be suprised who those championship caliber fast defensive non-puncher guys can knock out...when they really want to do so. Capable of knocking out a guy who's fought many many fights, and never been knocked out before...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still say the rules grant the advantage to the fast defensive guys...

The powerguys have a huge disadvantage built in to the gloves alone...it blunts their power...there's nothing that blunts speed or not getting hit....in fact not getting hit is encouraged by the rules.

Dirk Administers THE SHOCKER LEONARD's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Projection: 1.5 million PPV buys
    Actual: 850k

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Projection: 1.5 million PPV buys
    Actual: 850k
    Who ing cares?