Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs Verified account ‏@spurs

Practice officially begins today. Get to know our Training Camp Roster » http://gospu.rs/2cRkYfN

Someone should put a big red "X" over each guy as he gets cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs Verified account ‏@spurs

Practice officially begins today. Get to know our Training Camp Roster » http://gospu.rs/2cRkYfN

That #2 guy should be really good this season!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man look at those numbers, almost in sequence. Is the Spurs the only team like that?
    No, especially not with numbers 20 and below, but that's because basketball traditionally uses lower numbers - 0(00) to 50 - with a few exceptions. Of the major sports, basketball has the fewest number of players on each roster. Every season, there are between five and ten players who will wear uniform numbers above "50." After Dennis Rodman left the Spurs, he chose "91," "73," and "70" with different teams.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that "12" has been the most frequently used uniform number throughout the history of the NBA. Interestingly, "12" is the only Spurs' retired jersey that has been unretired, so that Aldridge could wear it (Bruce was being nice).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As you may know, I'm an older guy...but I remember when I was in Middle School (Jr. High), we used some uniforms that were "even" numbered for home games (white jerseys) and used "odd" numbers for away games (dark/color). For example, my number was "32" at home and "33" on the road. Each player was sequenced one number higher for "odd" numbered away jerseys. I have no idea where that concept came from but I think that came from an earlier era in basketball, at least for High School and Jr. High/Middle. Once we got to High School, that tradition changed.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe up to 5 if Fathead gets put on the chopping block :

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing the interviews Bill.I had seen them already in the Spurs website, but these ones are better because the camera angle from the press is better.
    In Spurs.com you can find interviews from Tony and Manu that I posted through a tweet above.

Yep. It would seem Kawhi completely evaded media day. Tony said he was trying to skip it but wasn't able to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong picture. No #21.

Also, judging by his face, Parker looks really in shape. A round shape that is.
    Doctor is on Fire!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a long time, basketball numbers had to be either one digit, or two digits with each digit ranging from 0 to 5.
    It was a referee thing. Hold up one hand to display 0 to 5 single digits, or two hands together to show 6 to 9. Two hands spread to show a two digit number. I had trouble learning to display the first number on the right hand.
    IIRC, retired numbers broke the old rules for the NBA, and the rest of the world followed.
    Now refs often have to signal twice. So a call on Garino initially looks like a foul on Leonard, nope Parker. I've heard many an announcer miss the double signal. "How could they call that on Leonard!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, especially not with numbers 20 and below, but that's because basketball traditionally uses lower numbers - 0(00) to 50 - with a few exceptions. Of the major sports, basketball has the fewest number of players on each roster. Every season, there are between five and ten players who will wear uniform numbers above "50." After Dennis Rodman left the Spurs, he chose "91," "73," and "70" with different teams.

I read somewhere a couple of years ago that "12" has been the most frequently used uniform number throughout the history of the NBA. Interestingly, "12" is the only Spurs' retired jersey that has been unretired, so that Aldridge could wear it (Bruce was being nice).
    Thanks so much. That is very good trivia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a long time, basketball numbers had to be either one digit, or two digits with each digit ranging from 0 to 5.
    It was a referee thing. Hold up one hand to display 0 to 5 single digits, or two hands together to show 6 to 9. Two hands spread to show a two digit number. I had trouble learning to display the first number on the right hand.
    IIRC, retired numbers broke the old rules for the NBA, and the rest of the world followed.
    Now refs often have to signal twice. So a call on Garino initially looks like a foul on Leonard, nope Parker. I've heard many an announcer miss the double signal. "How could they call that on Leonard!"
    Thanks for the perspective, as always. The NCAA still has and under-55 rule. The NBA hasn't had that rule in forever, but players tend to keep their college numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And so it begins...

Jeff Platt ‏@jeffplatt

Danny Green has a left quad contusion. Won't practice next couple days. #Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And so it begins...

Jeff Platt ‏@jeffplatt

Wonder how this will affect his ball-handling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone should put a big red "X" over each guy as he gets cut.
    Im guessing #11 gets cut first...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And so it begins...

Jeff Platt ‏@jeffplatt

Damn..that's rough. Should be able to fully recover before the second pre-season game though. Good opportunity for the wings looking for a spot to get some playing time...can easily move kawhi to SG for Garino-Bertans to get some SF playing time.

Even try out two PGs in one..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing the interviews Bill.I had seen them already in the Spurs website, but these ones are better because the camera angle from the press is better.
    In Spurs.com you can find interviews from Tony and Manu that I posted through a tweet above.

Yep. It would seem Kawhi completely evaded media day. Tony said he was trying to skip it but wasn't able to.
    I think Kawhi was there but he just didn't appear in any of the video interviews we've seen. BTW, he was interviewed at practice today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im guessing #11 gets cut first...
    Why? Honestly, except for Tolliver, I think everyone will make it to the last couple of days. The Spurs are trying to assign the other guys to the Toros. Though maybe they do the cut early to they can see the new big-roster players more. Or maybe it goes down to the wire, because whomever they pick for the final spot will NOT be eligible to be automatically claimed by the Toros. So they have to choose wisely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder how this will affect his ball-handling.
    . You are on fire too. Damn Danny!!! I wonder who hit him bc it was a contusion....

Danny has been an iron man for two seasons. I wonder if they put Dijon in his spot if he's injured or J.Simms or Garino.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Aspire to be great!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . You are on fire too. Damn Danny!!! I wonder who hit him bc it was a contusion....

Danny has been an iron man for two seasons. I wonder if they put Dijon in his spot if he's injured or J.Simms or Garino.
    I would assume that it would depend on how close they think Garino is to making the team. His best bet at making it is to show he can defend and shoot at a high level, so him taking Green's spot (and I assume guarding Kawhi) makes the most sense. If he's an almost certain Toro, then having Murray, Simmons or even LJC makes sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of candidates at the 2 besides Green. When Kawhi is playing, they've got Ginobili, Simmons, Murray, Garino, Forbes, Mills, and even Anderson in a pinch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of candidates at the 2 besides Green. When Kawhi is playing, they've got Ginobili, Simmons, Murray, Garino, Forbes, Mills, and even Anderson in a pinch.
    I doubt they're playing in anything that looks like a regular rotation right now. My guess is that both Green and Kawhi, and LMA and Gasol are/would be on opposing units.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm assuming they're all playing in different units. Garino in specific is probably playing against Kawhi units. Good opportunity for the coaching staff too see how he can handle elite SF/SG scorers defensively.

Green most likely played a more traditional 3 role in practice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt they're playing in anything that looks like a regular rotation right now. My guess is that both Green and Kawhi, and LMA and Gasol are/would be on opposing units.
    True. It's usually mixed up early in camp and then balanced out talent-wise for the Silver and Black game. The options as stated above still apply.

Thread Information