Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am actually kind of scared of him trying to set hard picks I keep thinking something bad going to happen to those knees.
    Like a stick figure falling apart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. This whole debate is really semantics. He's a hybrid/combo big and like virtually all of them, their individual and team offense is at it's best when they play as the solo big, so the question is how much he can do so now and in the future?

Once his 3 gets to around decent, he'll be able to play alongside any type of big, but I'd still avoid the clear rotational, limited-non shooting C's to maximize flexibility.

Yeah. At a certain point it becomes impossible to definitively say what position someone is playing for certain minutes while a bunch of movement & switching is going on. Of course, I want to see Victor getting closer to the basket, but I've also had a few brief fantasies in recent days of seeing him as the high post guy in a John Wooden type offense, where he's arching easy passes over defenders to another big in the low post, or vice versa. For some reason, in one of these daydreams, he's also dressed as the Statue of Liberty, but maybe that's a discussion for another day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Center, PF or SF, I don’t think it matters most in today’s positionless basketball. The kid can do everything and it would defend on the match-up. I doubt he defends Jokic or Embiid, on which case he plays PF/SF. Stop trying to label the kid.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. At a certain point it becomes impossible to definitively say what position someone is playing for certain minutes while a bunch of movement & switching is going on. Of course, I want to see Victor getting closer to the basket, but I've also had a few brief fantasies in recent days of seeing him as the high post guy in a John Wooden type offense, where he's arching easy passes over defenders to another big in the low post, or vice versa. For some reason, in one of these daydreams, he's also dressed as the Statue of Liberty, but maybe that's a discussion for another day.
    French born, very tall, and showing in the states to a lot of hype, just like the statue itself.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP should read timvp’s new article..

and then

STFU

spurs know what they are doing- allowing him to experiment and find his way organically…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Heading into Wembanyama’s summer league debut against the Charlotte Hornets, San Antonio’s coaches (including Popovich himself, I’m told) gave the No. 1 overall pick one simple mandate: experiment. The coaches want Wembanyama to use his time in summer league to begin to learn what he can and can’t do against NBA caliber athletes.

Specifically, the Spurs coaches told him to handle the ball as much as possible — particularly in traffic.

“There’s no blueprint for him to follow,” a Spurs source told me about the conversations the Spurs have had with Wembanyama so far. “He’s gotta figure it all out on his own. Step by step.”

The source continued: “He has the ball in his hands at 7-foot-3. No one has done that. There’s nothing and nobody to reference. He needs to express himself, do what comes natural and figure it out. And he will. He absolutely will.”
    Yea, sounds JUST like there ready to park him at the 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, sounds JUST like there ready to park him at the 5.
    Nobody is asking to "park him at the 5", tbh, but, from time to time, putting him on advantageous positions for him to let him get some easy baskets and the confidence that comes with it.

I'm all for "experimenting" but a couple more games like the one in the debut and the frustration and pressure can start to kick in.

Jokic and Embiid are centers and nobody says they're "parked at the 5" or "being put in a box".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody is asking to "park him at the 5", tbh, but, from time to time, putting him on advantageous positions for him to let him get some easy baskets and the confidence that comes with it.

I'm all for "experimenting" but a couple more games like the one in the debut and the frustration and pressure can start to kick in.

Jokic and Embiid are centers and nobody says they're "parked at the 5" or "being put in a box".
    Playing Jokic at the key to distribute is not playing him center. Again this thing about labeling positions does not apply in todays basketball. He will get touches at the post, and he will get the ball at the key. The kid can do everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeat after me, mother ers: WEMBANYAMA IS A CENTER.

I didn't really mind dumb s here saying Wemby would play in the perimeter but I worry Spurs management thinks the same. Hopefully tonight's game is just the Spurs ing around and not a glimpse of how they're planning to use Wemby all season.

He's a 7'5" guy. It doesn't matter how good he handles the ball, he shouldn't be trying to cross people over on the 3 pt line while dribbling through 6 arms. He's gonna get stripped a whole lot of ing times because of physics alone.

Screen setter on pick and rolls and pick and pops, post ups, dump passes, putbacks. These are Wemby's most efficient plays. Play to his strengths, don't make his rookie season harder than it needs to be, tbh.
    Damn, you’re really obsessed with something that doesn’t matter at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The soft frenchie in him tbh. Get used to it. That’ll prob be part of his game throughout his entire career unfortunately, no matter how much muscle he gains. Much like Tony and even Rudy Gobert.
    What is wrong with you about French people ? That’s the second time you’ve said that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is wrong with you about French people ? That’s the second time you’ve said that .
    He's egging you (or others) on. Tony was one of the toughest SOB's on the court every game. Dude sacrificed his body at full speed for years and years. Gobert didn't get DPOYs for being a soft Frenchie.
    He's just playing a role.
    He role plays. Probably cosplays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing Jokic at the key to distribute is not playing him center. Again this thing about labeling positions does not apply in todays basketball. He will get touches at the post, and he will get the ball at the key. The kid can do everything.
    Yeah, because centers never played in the high post. If Jokic isn't a center what position does he play then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, you’re really obsessed with something that doesn’t matter at all
    If the position/style of play of the Spurs' franchise player doesn't matter, then nothing matters on this forum, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because center never played in the high post. If Jokic isn't a center what position does he play then?
    Jokic playing at the key facilitating is not traditional C play. Again going back to labeling. Jokic can do a lot of things that other “Centers” don’t. Now if you mention Kessler, Drummond those are traditional Centers game. Wemby WILL NOT play that “traditional center” game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because centers never played in the high post. If Jokic isn't a center what position does he play then?
    Centward...
    Forwan...er...

Dangit, you got me all mixed up!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jokic playing at the key facilitating is not traditional C play. Again going back to labeling. Jokic can do a lot of things that other “Centers” don’t. Now if you mention Kessler, Drummond those are traditional Centers game. Wemby WILL NOT play that “traditional center” game.
    And nobody is saying he will. I don't know who you're arguing with, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually he plays very much like Tim, who was listed as a PF and considered as the greatest at the position, but basically played Center for much of his career.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does a center in todays nba even do tbh

How do they even play tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mostly agree with you on this topic, but the difference is, despite their dynamic skills, they're overpowering, can mostly handle traditional big man duties solo and only guard C's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually he plays very much like Tim, who was listed as a PF and considered as the greatest at the position, but basically played Center for much of his career.
    Exactly, folks getting all semantical to make God knows what point are the first ones to say "Duncan, the greatest PF of all-time" despite him playing more like a center.

I guess Jordan wasn't really a SG because he posted up more than the centers on his teams. Or Lebron is a PG, not a SF, since he does more plamaking than the PGs of his teams.

Weather you want to call Wemby a center or not, the point remains that the best way to utilize him on offense is with him being at the middle of things doing bigmen stuff, rather than having trying to cross over 3 people on the wings. I'm not saying he can't do these things from time to time, but it shouldn't be his main way of offense. Avoid putting him on a box, but give him some structure so he can make the most out of his tools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the position/style of play of the Spurs' franchise player doesn't matter, then nothing matters on this forum, tbh.
    You know today’s league doesn’t really care about positions.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing I don't want him to be is our PG, our SG, and our Center when we playing against big boys - Other then that I don't really care where he plays on offense or defense as long as he getting points, assist, rebounds, and getting blocks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he’d score 15-20 points in summer league easily if he hung out in the paint instead of behind the 3 point line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk bro, I think turning him into more of a center just because of his height doesn't take advantage of what makes him so unique. I don't mind post play being a part of his repertoire, just not sure about it being the majority of his game.

He is very KD like, in that he can get his shot off over anyone. And his handle is fluid enough to where he can have a similar game. Just needs to continue developing his midrange pull-up/fadeaway package. And the Spurs are really good at developing that in players (Nephew; Vassell, Malaki).

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor is number one on the depth chart at every position for the Spurs other than maybe shooting guard.

Thread Information