Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I listed that im looking for only one was about guarding. Also want one I can jog with tbh.
    Guard dog & jogging partners are two different things…If you had trouble training a Mastiff I don’t think you are up for the challenges of training a Lab…

I have owned Large Great Danes & Italian Blue Mastiffs and they practically train themselves…But no way are they up for a jog in the rain or a long walk on a sweltering 100 degree evening…

Labradors on the other hand are game for anything…Frisbee in the rain, mountain biking on trails or a walk at 4 AM…Dogs that like to run take considerable patience, time & energy….Sporting dogs like Labs & Pointers need daily exercise & attention…

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Guard dog & jogging partners are two different things…
    uh, not necessarily. German shepherd and Doberman fit the bill for both. As does Rottweiler to an extent, were not talking marathon running over here more like a mile.

If you had trouble training a Mastiff I don’t think you are up for the challenges of training a Lab…
    What are you talking about? Bullmastiffs are notoriously stubborn and one of the most difficult breeds to train. You compare them to mastiffs but they are only half, the stubbornness comes from the bully side.
    I have owned Large Great Danes & Italian Blue Mastiffs and they practically train themselves…But no way are they up for a jog in the rain or a long walk on a sweltering 100 degree evening…
    neat that's why I don't take mine running

Labradors on the other hand are game for anything…Frisbee in the rain, mountain biking on trails or a walk at 4 AM…Dogs that like to run take considerable patience, time & energy….Sporting dogs like Labs & Pointers need daily exercise & attention…
    Don't want a lab they aren't much of a guard breed, I want my family and property protected when I'm away

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I think I've narrowed it to gsd, Rottweiler, or Doberman. Which should I pick for the qualities I'm looking for and why iyo?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Is something like a Pug of French Bulldog gay? Im actually looking for a dog too but Im staying in a small 1 bedroom apt so will probably go with a smaller breed tbh.

Boston Terrier tbh. I have one and he's a great inside dog. He was pretty rambunctious as a puppy but he just chills now.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I think I've narrowed it to gsd, Rottweiler, or Doberman. Which should I pick for the qualities I'm looking for and why iyo?
    Doberman. Just about everything you listed in the OP lines up. The one I owned and all the ones I have been around have been great.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

Out of those three, I like the German Shepard; he/she is going to be smarter than the Rott or Doberman. Also, he'd be a good running buddy, just make sure not to take him/her running as a pup or until they're close to fully grown, it can mess with their growth plates.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't know anything about Dobermans but be forewarned that Rotweillers and German Shepherds are susceptible to hip dysplasia

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have had labs and german shepherds (plus german shorthairs, laceys, akitas, and mastiffs) but am really partial to heelers. Hands down the smartest dogs I have ever owned. I've had a red and a currently have a blue.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Labs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We were looking for a dog for my daughter. We ran into some people at the vet who had just found this puppy in the street so we ended up adopting it. It looks like an Australian Shepard but some have said it's Border Collie. It has a double back dew claw which the vet told us indicated a high probability of being part Pyranees. I've had a lot of dogs but to this point, this one has been the smartest by far. Still would like to know if it's Aussie or Border Collie.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's a really cool dog CTOA.

I vote for a Doberman for m>s.

Flyer than I have to be oh crap's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    doberman imo

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Out of those three, I like the German Shepard; he/she is going to be smarter than the Rott or Doberman. Also, he'd be a good running buddy, just make sure not to take him/her running as a pup or until they're close to fully grown, it can mess with their growth plates.

i've owned both heeler and doberman and have been around shepards.

by far the dog ive had who had the most intelligence "personification" wise was the dobie. the heeler and shepards were incredibly smart, but sometimes they were completely turned off to how you were feeling. they'd understand but just not care.

dobie, on the other hand, you can see when he/she is guilt tripped or tries to respond to your emotions. they really want you to be happy imo, and it's cool to watch them think and process information.

i think any "top ten" smartest dog breeds list will have a dobie on it.

rotts are re ed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    We were looking for a dog for my daughter. We ran into some people at the vet who had just found this puppy in the street so we ended up adopting it. It looks like an Australian Shepard but some have said it's Border Collie. It has a double back dew claw which the vet told us indicated a high probability of being part Pyranees. I've had a lot of dogs but to this point, this one has been the smartest by far. Still would like to know if it's Aussie or Border Collie.

Totally looks like a BC; good looking dog!

Edit: On second look, he has a lot of Shepard too..
    Last edited by Spur|n|Austin; 01-22-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arkansas Razorbacks
    Rotts are certainly not re ed. They are just stubborn and a very dominant dog. You have to give them much attention and discipline. Many police forces use rottweilers as their dog of choice, and they are also great search and rescue dogs. They are by no means "re ed".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Boston Terrier tbh. I have one and he's a great inside dog. He was pretty rambunctious as a puppy but he just chills now.
    Yeah wouldnt mind a Boston Terrier either, they look alot like the French Bulldogs tbh. You got yours from a breeder or a rescue shelter ?

And Id go with a Rott m>s, my brother has one and hes real loyal, energetic, and protective tbh. Definitely a better dog (based on that criteria) than the Pittbulls weve had in the past.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    if you get a rott resist the impulse to mutilate it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    ^definitely, i'm not cutting its tail off to conform to the rest of the psychopaths. "everyone does it" doesn't make it okay. that's for damn sure, whatever i get i won't be cropping ears or cutting off tails.

Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Yeah wouldnt mind a Boston Terrier either, they look alot like the French Bulldogs tbh. You got yours from a breeder or a rescue shelter ?

And Id go with a Rott m>s, my brother has one and hes real loyal, energetic, and protective tbh. Definitely a better dog (based on that criteria) than the Pittbulls weve had in the past.
    A lady at my work has several full blood ones and I got him from her. She had a litter and was showing the puppies off and said that because one dog had papers and the other didn't she wasn't going to charge for the puppies. I jumped on it, of course. He's pure entertainment...does the most random and makes the most random faces.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    A lady at my work has several full blood ones and I got him from her. She had a litter and was showing the puppies off and said that because one dog had papers and the other didn't she wasn't going to charge for the puppies. I jumped on it, of course. He's pure entertainment...does the most random and makes the most random faces.
    Nice.

And yeah the more I read about them the more Im leaning towards them tbh.

on instagram, str8 flexin DUNCANownsKOBE's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Is something like a Pug of French Bulldog gay? Im actually looking for a dog too but Im staying in a small 1 bedroom apt so will probably go with a smaller breed tbh.

Not trying to troll or talk , but getting a dog while you're in college (and in a hard major for that matter) is a huge mistake. Everyone I know who's done it says they regret it and having the responsibility of a dog made college difficult. Just wait till you're done with school.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Girls staying with me so s help out tbh. Wouldnt try to get a dog if I had to care for it all on my own, that would definitely be a stupid idea.

Banned
    Name
    D-Steve
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    You should get your dog cir cised tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    you should go up to utd and be a free score again on d and auto turnover whenever you get the ball imho LOLOL

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Yeah wouldnt mind a Boston Terrier either, they look alot like the French Bulldogs tbh.
    Frenchies were crossbred/interbred with pugs and terriers in order to reduce their size and to encourage certain aesthetic traits, so it's not surprising they look alike. My mom has a Frenchie and, especially due to his coloring and the fact he's big for the breed (bigger in general, and with longer legs in proportion to his body than is standard), most people think he's just a fat or stocky Boston.

For the record, French Bulldogs are a handful. And are really only advisable for people who are prepared to see acting like an asshole as a charming personality trait and/or a legitimately adorable/funny caught-in-the-act face as a good enough reason to forgive said asshole-ish behavior. Stubborn is an understatement. My mom's is amusing in small doses when I'm visiting, but I'd have lost my mind ages ago if I had to live with him.

Thread Information