Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one's stupid enough to move a team away from LA..
    Signed, The Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signed, The Oakland Raiders and St Louis Rams
    OK, no one is stupid enough to pay $2 billion and move the team away from LA

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Ballmer is described as a "Seattle-based former Microsoft chief executive."

"Seattle Clippers" has a nice ring to it.

Sorry Juan, Ballmer will be ting on Fredo in LA

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Five years ago it made sense to move the Clip Show, imo.

Doesn't make sense to move them now, though.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't get the cons utional rights objection. Free speech means you can't go jail for expressing unpopular opinions.
    I read that as less of a screed over protected rights and more of a comment on digital mobs with pitchforks. Somebody gets into trouble because of something they said or did, the digital mob foments and then the offending party has to resign or quit from whatever it is that he or she does. Just once I would like some public figure to say "You know what? you. I'm not resigning/quitting."

I don't know that I want to live in a world where we beat up a guy because of he said in private when he was illegally taped. Don't we all feel better that we ganged up on this dude now that it's been revealed he's senile and has alzheimers? All those liberals patting themselves on the back for how enlightened and progressive and tolerant they are because they had the balls to gang up on a sick old man. It's just meaningless posturing and signaling and there's more important to be worried about. those idiots who act like Donald Sterling himself personally came to their house and dropped N-bombs to their face. To those people I say get over yourselves.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    All those liberals patting themselves on the back for how enlightened and progressive and tolerant they are because they had the balls to gang up on a sick old man.
    Let's not pretend like Sterling didn't make a career out of preying on the weak as a de able slumlord....

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Let's not pretend like Sterling didn't make a career out of preying on the weak as a de able slumlord....
    I'm willing to bet that pretty close to 0 % of the digital mob gave a about any of that until he got busted on TMZ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sorry Juan, Ballmer will be ting on Fredo in LA
    To be fair, Ballmer was Microsoft Fredo.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I'm willing to bet that pretty close to 0 % of the digital mob gave a about any of that until he got busted on TMZ.
    Doesn't mean he deserves sympathy or pity for getting a far more sanitized version of the kind of treatment he doled out to countless other people for decades without a care in the world....

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    To be fair, Ballmer was Microsoft Fredo.
    Meh, there's a big difference between being CEO of a company and being a sports team owner, so it doesn't really translate.... the owners who try to run their teams like a business usually are the tiest ones....

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Doesn't mean he deserves sympathy or pity for getting a far more sanitized version of the kind of treatment he doled out to countless other people for decades without a care in the world....
    It also means I don't have to take seriously most of the people criticizing him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

Yet posters on a message board call him a "moron" who "overpaid"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Try spining it which ever way you feel like it, but Ballmer overpaid by a good 400 odd mil son. This ain't the Lakers or the Knicks, you're one Blake Griffin injury away from lottery.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Five years ago it made sense to move the Clip Show, imo.

Doesn't make sense to move them now, though.
    Yep, now with Ballmer's money the Lakers will slide into irrelevancy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pays to be friends with Bill Gates tbh. LOL those shares going up that much once he said he was leaving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OK, no one is stupid enough to pay $2 billion and move the team away from LA
    I think the purchase price demonstrates that money wasn't the first consideration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the purchase price demonstrates that money wasn't the first consideration.
    Moot point anyways, since the other owners would never approve the move while they have maybe the best stadium in the NBA to play in.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Man, if the Clipps are worth $2B, I wonder how much the Spurs are worth. Especially with their $2.99 court side seats.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moot point anyways, since the other owners would never approve the move while they have maybe the best stadium in the NBA to play in.
    The renderings of the new Sonics Arena look pretty awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do. They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers. Basically the only real big market revenue stream the Clips are tapping into right now are ticket prices. Are there advantages to staying in LA? yeah. And I would enjoy watching a competent owner compete with the Lakers in the market. But with a guy like Balmer, if they don't gain traction in the market I could see them looking at Seattle in a couple years if that situation hasn't resolved itself. The new media deal the league is going to sign is going to further erode the advantages of big markets over smaller ones.

So I guess my point is that they probably stay in LA. But Balmer has already proven that money isn't the deciding factor for him (and since he is sole owner he has no partners where this is an issue) BUT even if it was a factor, going forward the upcoming revenue streams from league-wide rights will make it even easier to make serious money in mid and small markets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do. They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers. Basically the only real big market revenue stream the Clips are tapping into right now are ticket prices. Are there advantages to staying in LA? yeah. And I would enjoy watching a competent owner compete with the Lakers in the market. But with a guy like Balmer, if they don't gain traction in the market I could see them looking at Seattle in a couple years if that situation hasn't resolved itself. The new media deal the league is going to sign is going to further erode the advantages of big markets over smaller ones.

So I guess my point is that they probably stay in LA. But Balmer has already proven that money isn't the deciding factor for him (and since he is sole owner he has no partners where this is an issue) BUT even if it was a factor, going forward the upcoming revenue streams from league-wide rights will make it even easier to make serious money in mid and small markets.
    They have two years in that current TV deal, which was ty because it was negotiated under Prime Sterling's garbage team when it looked like we were headed into another great depression.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Yeah but they don't own the building, and from what I've heard they have much less favorable terms on their lease than the Lakers do.
    IIRC, they pay less than the Lakers do to use the same arena, so it's not really that unfavorable.... additionally, I wonder if he might try to buy the Staples Center next, since AEG has been rumored as wanting to sell it for a while now....

They also have a TV deal closer in size to San Antonio's than the Lakers.
    That will be changing soon in a major way, especially with how desperate FOX will be to keep as many LA teams as possible with Time Warner encroaching on the market.... FOX already lost the Lakers and Dodgers to Time Warner, doubt they'll want to lose a third.... I could see Comcast looking to get into the LA market as well....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, they pay less than the Lakers do to use the same arena, so it's not really that unfavorable.... additionally, I wonder if he might try to buy the Staples Center next, since AEG has been rumored as wanting to sell it for a while now....

That will be changing soon in a major way, especially with how desperate FOX will be to keep as many LA teams as possible with Time Warner encroaching on the market.... FOX already lost the Lakers and Dodgers to Time Warner, doubt they'll want to lose a third.... I could see Comcast looking to get into the LA market as well....
    Comcast is getting into the LA market by buying Time Warner.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Comcast is getting into the LA market by buying Time Warner.
    You're right, I didn't know that was being finalized.... last I heard, Charter was trying to buy them instead....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right, I didn't know that was being finalized.... last I heard, Charter was trying to buy them instead....
    I think Charter is going to get some of the markets that have to be jettisoned from the others to clear the an rust business, but it seems like the sale is going to happen.

Seriously though, I think Ballmer is just going to wait out the lease or even pay to break it to bring the NBA back to Seattle in a few years. The sheer amount of money he put into it makes me think he wants the Sonics to be his legacy.

I mean, what existing franchise would be the easiest to move? For most intents and purposes, the Clips are kind of redundant/superfluous where they are.

Thread Information