Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like someone said in an earlier post, there's only one basketball, and with Kobe chucking it , it doesn't matter how great their line up looks on paper.

Besides OKC imo is still the team to beat. They're younger, faster, play good D and they're hungry for a le.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Jordan? All he had was Scottie Pippen and good role players not 4 star players.
    With all the expansion teams, the league was diluted from the 90s through the mid 2000s. Lately, teams have had to be deeper, like they were in the 60s (when there were only 8 teams) and 80s (after most of the ABA teams folded).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean Mel_13 ? Can you further explain? Thanks
    Once teams exceed the luxury tax threshold they have to pay a tax for each dollar over that limit. Under the 2005 CBA, that tax was one dollar for each dollar over the limit. Additionally, teams under the tax limit receive a distribution from the taxes collected each year. The net result is that most teams in most seasons treat the tax limit as if it were a hard cap. In the six years of the 2005 CBA, 15 NBA teams never exceeded the tax. Eleven teams paid the tax in 2009-10. In the other five years, the number of taxpaying teams ranged between 5 and 8. The Spurs paid the tax in 3 of the 6 years.

The 2011 CBA makes the tax more punitive. It remains a dollar for dollar tax for the first two seasons of the new CBA, but will increase in 2013-14 with further increases for repeat offenders the following season.

A team like the Lakers, for example, will be at least 20M over the tax limit this year. Let's call it 20M. Their tax on 20M is an additional 20M. Beginning in 2013-14, a team that is 20M over the limit will pay an additional 45M in tax. The following season that amount would be 65M for repeat offenders.

Only the very richest teams can ignore the consequences of the new tax and the compe ive advantage the richest teams have will only increase. The Laker acquisition of Steve Nash is a perfect example. The cost in salary and tax for three seasons of Steve Nash will be at least 60M and could be much, much more. Very few teams in the NBA could even consider such an acquisition.

The details of the luxury tax under the 2011 CBA can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a source.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ........Mike Brown has an embarrassment of riches!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like someone said in an earlier post, there's only one basketball, and with Kobe chucking it , it doesn't matter how great their line up looks on paper.

Besides OKC imo is still the team to beat. They're younger, faster, play good D and they're hungry for a le.
    OKC is fairly well-positioned against Howard with Perkins in the lineup, but Howard doesn't have to have the ball in his hands all the time to be effective -- he'll massively improve their interior defense and rebounding.

If the deal happens, I think I like the Lakers chances, though it should be a good series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the Spurs stand pat
    , at those thinking the spurs can counter a trade like this..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's simply amazing how LA can just keep reloading even when it looks like they have extremely limited assets (no depth, salary capped out...). Testament to the way they operate and find ways to stay in the mix.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's simply amazing how LA can just keep reloading even when it looks like they have extremely limited assets (no depth, salary capped out...). Testament to the way they operate and find ways to stay in the mix.
    Testament to luck, skill and being a destination for free agents because LA is a glamour media market with warm weather and beaches.

Assuming the Magic can get Bynum to sign an extension, it's the most logical trade scenario. Orlando can get back 70 cents on the dollar for Howard with Bynum. Anytime you trade a superstar you're not getting back equal value. All of the other offers have been like 35 or 40 cents on the dollar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Testament to luck, skill and being a destination for free agents because LA is a glamour media market with warm weather and beaches.
    Exactly...look at the Jamison signing. He could have had more money with other teams but chose to play in LA for the minimum. It is what it is and all the crying and melting down in the world isn't going to change things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They didn't do so bad for themselves in 2005.
    One decent exception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the hacking begin!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait for Dwight Howard to join the Lakers, so I can hear the all the idiots next summer comparing Kobe to Jordan (if Kobe gets his 6th ring).

These idiots totally disregarding that in his first 7 years, Kobe played with the most dominant big man of the past 30 years (Shaq). All while, never winning a Finals MVP during this time (3 les, no MVPs; speaks volumes,tbh).

These same idiots also never ever bring up the time where Kobe had a Lebron/Cleveland-like supporting cast and never managed to lead his team past the 1st round from 2005-2007 (3 years straight years; 1 year he didn't even get his team to the playoffs).

Oh I can't wait to hear the idiots again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One decent exception.
    Masterful tank job. Lakerfan should be prohibited from mentioning 1997 after what they did in 2005.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly...look at the Jamison signing. He could have had more money with other teams but chose to play in LA for the minimum. It is what it is and all the crying and melting down in the world isn't going to change things.
    Well I agree but I think overall LA doesn't get enough credit for what they do. It's true they have an advantage on locale and money, but they still make smart basketball decisions and build good teams. Orlando has similar city attributes as a draw and NY does to + money but look at the difference.

Not saying LA has the best FO but that they maximize their advantages.

Just have to see how it all snakes (shakes?) out
    Last edited by DPG21920; 07-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once teams exceed the luxury tax threshold they have to pay a tax for each dollar over that limit. Under the 2005 CBA, that tax was one dollar for each dollar over the limit. Additionally, teams under the tax limit receive a distribution from the taxes collected each year. The net result is that most teams in most seasons treat the tax limit as if it were a hard cap. In the six years of the 2005 CBA, 15 NBA teams never exceeded the tax. Eleven teams paid the tax in 2009-10. In the other five years, the number of taxpaying teams ranged between 5 and 8. The Spurs paid the tax in 3 of the 6 years.

The 2011 CBA makes the tax more punitive. It remains a dollar for dollar tax for the first two seasons of the new CBA, but will increase in 2013-14 with further increases for repeat offenders the following season.

A team like the Lakers, for example, will be at least 20M over the tax limit this year. Let's call it 20M. Their tax on 20M is an additional 20M. Beginning in 2013-14, a team that is 20M over the limit will pay an additional 45M in tax. The following season that amount would be 65M for repeat offenders.

Only the very richest teams can ignore the consequences of the new tax and the compe ive advantage the richest teams have will only increase. The Laker acquisition of Steve Nash is a perfect example. The cost in salary and tax for three seasons of Steve Nash will be at least 60M and could be much, much more. Very few teams in the NBA could even consider such an acquisition.

The details of the luxury tax under the 2011 CBA can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q21
    Thanks bro! I didn't know the lakers were THAT rich

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying LA has the best FO but that they maximize their advantages.
    It's fair to say that the Lakers do a better job of maximizing their unfair advantages than other similarly blessed franchises.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's all I was trying to say

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers are to Yankees as Knicks are to Cubs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fair to say that the Lakers do a better job of maximizing their unfair advantages than other similarly blessed franchises.
    Just look at the Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , at those thinking the spurs can counter a trade like this..

at those thinking Spurs are fine the way they are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't wait for Dwight Howard to join the Lakers, so I can hear the all the idiots next summer comparing Kobe to Jordan (if Kobe gets his 6th ring).

These idiots totally disregarding that in his first 7 years, Kobe played with the most dominant big man of the past 30 years (Shaq). All while, never winning a Finals MVP during this time (3 les, no MVPs; speaks volumes,tbh).

These same idiots also never ever bring up the time where Kobe had a Lebron/Cleveland-like supporting cast and never managed to lead his team past the 1st round from 2005-2007 (3 years straight years; 1 year he didn't even get his team to the playoffs).

Oh I can't wait to hear the idiots again.
    I can wait, believe me.... I don't want him to get his 6th ring nor for LA to just pass the Spurs up like that, believe me it will not be pretty.
    at those thinking Spurs are fine the way they are
    Their not, last year the stars aligned to make it to the finals and they came up short. Believe it or not most in here that was their last run they will have that deep into the playoffs and within two games of the finals. I love the Spurs but it's over unless they get a younger superstar to join the team and the lottery they will not see soon.

U Have Bad Understanding Sportcamper's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If this trade goes down it will be a tough one to accept…The Lakers are known for developing young talent & making them into superstars….Elgin, Jerry, Magic, Worthy, Byron to name just a few…Heck the Lakers staff is so superior to the rest of the NBA’s that they even take H.S. kids & make them into superstars…Kobe, Bynum….I just question if Dwight is worthy of the honor to wear the Purple & Gold…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this trade goes down it will be a tough one to accept…The Lakers are known for developing young talent & making them into superstars….Elgin, Jerry, Magic, Worthy, Byron to name just a few…Heck the Lakers staff is so superior to the rest of the NBA’s that they even take H.S. kids & make them into superstars…Kobe, Bynum….I just question if Dwight is worthy of the honor to wear the Purple & Gold…

Thread Information