Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is it for sure he's joining this season? I read it's possible he will join next year. Any videos?
    I think he comes right away since he had a one year deal with Olimpija and it is reported that a buyout will be paid. No need to pay a buyout for a free agent ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can someone tell me how tall this guy is? I've seen him listed at 6'9, 6'10 and 7'0...
    He has been measured at the 2009 Portsmouth invitational tournament for college seniors:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aron-Baynes-5086/

Height w/o Shoes: 6' 10.5"
    Height w/shoes: 7' 0"
    Weight: 259 lbs
    Wingspan: 7' 2.5"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Apparently there isn't an NBA player or fringe player without a fan. There's always somethin on YouTube. lol

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's 6-8 tbh, 208cm to be more precise.. And here starts the suicidal part of the thread
    Not sure where youi got that number. Per Draftexpress he is 6'10.5 without shoes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's 6-8 tbh, 208cm to be more precise.. And here starts the suicidal part of the thread
    I thought he's a 7 footer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, that's how it would work but the MLE pro-ration isn't like the minimum salary pro-ration. The rest of the available MLE will decrease by 1/170th each day starting January 10th. If he can sign today he will get the full $500K and his salary will decrease by $3K with each day.
    Thanks.

Didn't think they would be able to use the 500K left over from Boris, but getting a player like this on essentially a 4 year minimum deal would be great.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair replacement ?

Tiago 3 rebounds games.
    5reb on 21min this season, to be exact

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where youi got that number. Per Draftexpress he is 6'10.5 without shoes.
    208 centimetrov visoki avstralski reprezentant je v letošnji sezoni Evrolige v povprečju dosegal 13,8 točke in 9,8 skoka na tekmo, s čimer je bil prvi skakalec prvega dela najelitnejšega košarkarskega klubskega tekmovanja v Evropi. Nekaj nižje povprečje - 12,4 točke in 6,8 skoka - ima v Jadranski ligi.

translated:
    the 208cm tall Australian blabla..

from rtvslo.si you can't get more official than that, also I'm slovenian and have seen him around Alen Omič who's a true 7footer+ and he looks A LOT shorter..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If true, nice signing by the Spurs. It's nice as a Spurs fan to know there is a good chance of an Australian being around. (Gaze, Heal, Mills, Brett Brown etc..)

Being Australian, I've watched a bit of Baynes. I liken him to a Tyler Hansbrough type of player. (not saying he is as good as Psycho T, but same mold).

A few of my thoughts on him:

- He is a very burly player and likes to throw his weight around.
    - Surprisingly agile and mobile for a guy his weight, particularly on the offensive end. Can jump higher than you expect.
    - He is aggressive towards the rim, something the Spurs definitely lack.
    - He isn't to great laterally so don't expect to see him offering up much resistance to perimeter orientated big-men.
    - He is quite stout defensively in the post but overall I envision him having trouble guarding 4/5's (won't be able to alter/block NBA players shots on the interior).
    - Good rebounder, I can see that trait transferring to the NBA.
    - Not a great passer or ball-handler
    - Has decent hands when taking passes on the interior or up high
    - His jumpshot is ok, it doesn't stretch out any further than 15ft. He isn't LaMarcus Aldridge with the J but isn't Reggie Evans either.
    - Plays the pick n roll well offensively
    - Sets good hard picks (he is wide!)

All in all, he is a good signing. I would prefer to see him on the court over Blair (sad, I was a very big DeJuan fan) or Bonner at the moment. Down the road he could become a very good 4th bigman. Expecting anything more will likely lead to disappointment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    208 cm = 6'10 (6' 9.9 to be more precise...)

1 foot = 30.48 centimeters
    1 inch = 2.54 centimeters

6*30.48 + 10* 2.54 = 208.28 cm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Apparently there isn't an NBA player or fringe player without a fan. There's always somethin on YouTube. lol
    Seems athletic, big, and quite mobile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    google says 6.82415, not sure though..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has been measured at the 2009 Portsmouth invitational tournament for college seniors:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aron-Baynes-5086/

Height w/o Shoes: 6' 10.5"
    Height w/shoes: 7' 0"
    Weight: 259 lbs
    Wingspan: 7' 2.5"
    Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Euroleague.net has him at 2.08m which converts to 6'10". The guy next to him (Baynes is #12) in this picture is listed at 7':

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah.. 203 cm is 6-8..
    just ask the European Spurs fans, they are better in US measurements, than you guys in the metric system..

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    208 centimetrov visoki avstralski reprezentant je v letošnji sezoni Evrolige v povprečju dosegal 13,8 točke in 9,8 skoka na tekmo, s čimer je bil prvi skakalec prvega dela najelitnejšega košarkarskega klubskega tekmovanja v Evropi. Nekaj nižje povprečje - 12,4 točke in 6,8 skoka - ima v Jadranski ligi.

translated:
    the 208cm tall Australian blabla..

from rtvslo.si you can't get more official than that, also I'm slovenian and have seen him around Alen Omič who's a true 7footer+ and he looks A LOT shorter..
    The measurements they put on DX are legit. I've never seen anyone prove otherwise. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to though. You are a pretty ty poster overall so no one is going to care what you believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    google says 6.82415, not sure though..

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Good stuff. Hope it's true.

Interesting player and certainly provides some stuff we're lacking.

And hopefully this means Blair is out the door.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    DP. Sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

http://www.manuelsweb.com/ft_in_cm.htm

this gives it as you say, I'm not sure why google does it differently, probably i miss typed something.. well good to know that's solved, sorry for the missunderstanding..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heights in Europe are most of the time given without shoes while NBA heights are always with shoes. It explains the little difference here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome! Aaron and Patty's Aussie connection vs De Colo, Diaw and Parker's french connection!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the better players on the Australian national team, allowed Patty to do his mini-AI thing.
    Baynes wasn't good enough to make the National team though, which is a bit of a worry, tbh. Gives us some size down low, but he has no legitimate post moves and mostly relies on his mediocre jumpshot to score (a typical european/asian big man)

EDIT: Confused him with the Aussie scrub that is AJ Ogilvy. Baynes is a BEAST! A very physical big man that gives us a dominating presence down low on defense. He'll have to work on his offense though if he is to be effective in the NBA. Hopefully, this'll improve Patty's play due to them already having developed some chemistry playing with the Australian National team.
    Last edited by Boomersgold; 01-09-2013 at 10:29 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt Pop throws a prospect into the fire this early. Took him two and a half seasons to start Tiago.
    I doubt they drop those stacks just to seize him in the middle of the season if they don't plan on utilizing him. Unlike Tiago, who had his overseas pedigree as his claim for minutes, Baynes already has familiarity with the Spurs system and staff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like he could lay a hard foul on someone. Other than that, he also looks like he is fringe NBA material and a longshot to stay in the NBA.

Thread Information