Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if the console was open source for development, had humble bundles that promoted indie games for almost no cost for hundreds of hours of gameplay, an open driver system that allowed for compatibility with any USB device or peripheral, would allow you to upgrade it so that you aren't playing games on extremely limited hardware, and had cloud based syncing AND full backwards compatibility with every other console you ever own, sure, then it might be the equal of a PC that you could call a console.
    I don't really care for all that, except having potentially a bigger catalog. I'll just be playing games, not doing work on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe if the console was open source for development, had humble bundles that promoted indie games for almost no cost for hundreds of hours of gameplay, an open driver system that allowed for compatibility with any USB device or peripheral, would allow you to upgrade it so that you aren't playing games on extremely limited hardware, and had cloud based syncing AND full backwards compatibility with every other console you ever own, sure, then it might be the equal of a PC that you could call a console.
    Why is this so serious for you?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know what you were talking about. It just made me think what would it be the perfect gaming PC for somebody like me.

Convenience (AKA laziness) is a big factor for me. I already loathe the rare occasions when I sit down to play a game and the 360 wants to install a dashboard update.

I think a big selling point of the Steambox is to retain that convenience. Turn it on, goes straight to Steam, play your games. If it needs any driver/opengl/directx updated, it gets taken care for you, nothing external you have to deal with/messing up your gaming experience (anti-virus, the chinese hacker flooding your SMB ports, etc). I wanna turn it on, pick a game and play. I want that out of the box, I don't want to put the time to configure a PC like that. I don't really care for "upgradeable" either if it's only $400 and has a 4+ year lifespan/support. Obviously, needs to have the AAA les supported, otherwise it's not worth it.

But then I look at that description, and it's really what we call a console these days.
    Upgradability is the whole point of the Steambox. If I want a just plug it in and play system that I don't need to change anything on for 5-6 years of course I'm getting a PS4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Upgradability is the whole point of the Steambox. If I want a just plug it in and play system that I don't need to change anything on for 5-6 years of course I'm getting a PS4.
    That's basically the same conclusion I reached. The potentially larger catalog would be tempting though.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool story bro. Wish I was rich enough to buy and upgrade a new computer every year.
    If only mom and dad hooked me up that much or I had no other financial obligations but gaming

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool story bro. Wish I was rich enough to buy and upgrade a new computer every year.
    If only mom and dad hooked me up that much or I had no other financial obligations but gaming
    Truth.

If I want to see HD grass and fire, I have to go outside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AC Rogue out on the 360... f yeah

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is this so serious for you?
    I enjoy gaming and enjoy talking about it. Why are you on spurstalk?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how people s out $60 for games every other month myself, I still play TF2 that I bought 7 years ago, still pretty fun tbh. I haven't upgraded anything on my PC besides the GFX card and more HDD space in 4 years and I can play most games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't really care for all that, except having potentially a bigger catalog. I'll just be playing games, not doing work on it.
    Cheap, well made games are awesome.

Being able to use a kb+m or switch to a controller/wheel/joystick is awesome as well. Not to mention being able to watch an NBA game on the 2nd monitor while you're fragging noobs on the first.

Graphics are obviously a push, you care about them or you don't.

Backwards compatibility -- you don't care about that? Because the Ps3/360 war nearly revolved around it. The 60gb PS3 on release was awesome because it could play Ps2 games as well. You don't see that anymore -- except on PC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheap, well made games are awesome.

Being able to use a kb+m or switch to a controller/wheel/joystick is awesome as well. Not to mention being able to watch an NBA game on the 2nd monitor while you're fragging noobs on the first.
    I play a lot of those "cheap, well made" games on my core 2 duo (although I'll probably upgrade to a i3 or i5 soonish, this machine is from 2009 after all). I'm a big fan of Time Management games (Build a Lot, etc). Those games don't really need a controller, nor a demanding system. I mean, the really good ones end up on consoles anyways, like Plants vs Zombies, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc... I already have the multi-screen setup, tbh... have a sammy 46" with a hopper for the TV, and I use a 26" monitor for the 360/mini.

Graphics are obviously a push, you care about them or you don't.

Backwards compatibility -- you don't care about that? Because the Ps3/360 war nearly revolved around it. The 60gb PS3 on release was awesome because it could play Ps2 games as well. You don't see that anymore -- except on PC.
    I play most of the games all the way through, so I'm not a guy that goes back and re-plays too much stuff. I don't do online, so once the main story/missions are done, there's not a lot of replay value for me. The only game I recall playing all the way through twice is Just Cause 2 (all time underrated game). Truth be told, I had a lot more fun writing emulators than actually playing them I do sometimes fire up Super Mario on a Nintendo 64 emu, but that doesn't need a killer system either.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how people s out $60 for games every other month myself, I still play TF2 that I bought 7 years ago, still pretty fun tbh. I haven't upgraded anything on my PC besides the GFX card and more HDD space in 4 years and I can play most games.
    I've only bought a handful. Most games I play have come out free on Xbox gold.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did not read the thread.

did not have to.

PC wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PC games took a huge leap forward when Steam came around. Now you can have all your games on Steam, and buy/download games from them without needing to leave your home. If you're in your mom's basement trying to get your jaw to move so the slop can go down your throat, you need that aspect.

Thread Information