Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Maybe China should start thinking that female babies are a good thing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does she wear a hoodie?

You're second only to Boutons in coming up with totally ignorant ing things to say. But I think you put more effort into it, so there's still hope.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    teysha......thats your daughters name, right?

and best wishes to both of you........including your awesome wife.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    teysha......thats your daughters name, right?

and best wishes to both of you........including your awesome wife.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I've gone over this before, but it takes around 20k/mo to keep me upright and mobile...(rational costs extra). Years ago, I went thru a period of unemployment and consequentially, lost my insurance. My meds were underwritten by the drug manufacturer and I received them gratis. I could still be receiving them as they apparently did not put an end date on my orders. During this same time period, my daughter underwent surgery to correct a malformation at the brain stem, in preparation for having her spine almost rebuilt due to extreme scoliosis (72 degree deflection across 2 axis). Her surgeries (600k+) were covered completely by the Shriners Hospital in Dallas.

It's not easy to find these avenues, but my doctors were an invaluable resource...they knew all about these programs and guided me to them.

We have friends in town who came from Mexico illegally. (Citizens now.) A cousin came from Mexico illegally, about two years ago. She started having horrible headaches, and went to the emergency room. They found a large tumor inside her skull. The situation was bad enough that they set her up for surgery the next day. The testing, operation, and all the follow-up care came to over $1M. She paid nothing. Nada.

We are not exactly the hard-hearted society that some people claim.

I'm glad you got the healthcare you and your daughter required, Teysha. One thing a lot of people should realize about medications being "under-written" by the drug companies. Those drug companies pass the cost on to all their other customers, in the form of higher prices. My wife takes Copaxone for MS - an injection every day. The cost of the drug has gone up from about $2,100 per month to its current $3,600 per month, even though drugs used to go down in price after they have been on the market for a while. It's because so many people are being "under-written", and those costs are being passed on.

I'm not ing about people getting the medication for free. I'm just pointing out that there is MUCH more subsidized healthcare going on than this administration will admit to.

Believe.
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Are we not all human? Every life is precious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are we not all human? Every life is precious.
    God sent Jesus to die.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly, when you look at how much money we spend to kill people, $1M/year looks like a drop in the bucket, especially for a rare case like the OP indicates.

A single F16-D (just the unit cost, without maintenance) would pay for 19 years of treatment...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think people should be forced to pay for anyone's health care. I think it should be done out of love. In a perfect world, where everyone cared about one another, yes the girl should be medically covered. But if people do not want to pay, then I do not think that they should be forced to pay. I've personally donated large amounts of time, money, and energy to helping people with a variety of medical, psychiatric, and economic conditions, and I do it out of love. Hopefully, more can do the same. For me, personally, if I wake up in the girls situation tomorrow, I would be in peace whether I get the money or not.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if?

What should be the age cut off iyo?
    If forced to pick between rationing healthcare via a spending cap or an age cap, I think the spending cap is more fair to more people. So I don't think we should pick an age where we cut people off.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's a "moral" issue so much as an economic one.
    Yep. As icky as it feels to try and put a price on life we have to accept the reality that our financial resources are not unlimited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a simple operation shouldnt costs much, why not just outsourced it to foreign country who can do it cheaper with the same service?

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't try to put me in that pigeonhole. I'm a fiscal conservative but I don't toe the republican party line on social issues." Death panels" of some kind are inevitable for those that don't have the private means to pay for their own healthcare.
    It's inevitable for everyone. Even the private insurers have a limit on how much they're going to spend on you.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I've gone over this before, but it takes around 20k/mo to keep me upright and mobile...(rational costs extra). Years ago, I went thru a period of unemployment and consequentially, lost my insurance. My meds were underwritten by the drug manufacturer and I received them gratis. I could still be receiving them as they apparently did not put an end date on my orders. During this same time period, my daughter underwent surgery to correct a malformation at the brain stem, in preparation for having her spine almost rebuilt due to extreme scoliosis (72 degree deflection across 2 axis). Her surgeries (600k+) were covered completely by the Shriners Hospital in Dallas.

It's not easy to find these avenues, but my doctors were an invaluable resource...they knew all about these programs and guided me to them.
    Sorry to hear about this. Good to hear you're finding a way through it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think people should be forced to pay for anyone's health care. I think it should be done out of love. In a perfect world, where everyone cared about one another, yes the girl should be medically covered. But if people do not want to pay, then I do not think that they should be forced to pay. I've personally donated large amounts of time, money, and energy to helping people with a variety of medical, psychiatric, and economic conditions, and I do it out of love. Hopefully, more can do the same. For me, personally, if I wake up in the girls situation tomorrow, I would be in peace whether I get the money or not.
    You are already being forced to pay for the care of others via your taxes and the cost of your medicine.

A simple operation shouldnt costs much, why not just outsourced it to foreign country who can do it cheaper with the same service?
    Some insurance companies are already doing this. They are paying for their insured to get a flight, hotel, food, etc for them and a family member to some other country to get their surgeries done.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a simple operation shouldnt costs much, why not just outsourced it to foreign country who can do it cheaper with the same service?
    I remember reading an article once about people doing exactly this. People would travel to Central America or India to get operations at a fraction of the cost.

I don't remember the details about whether or not U.S. insurance was covering these trips, or if U.S. law even allows them to.

Either way, it's a good idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading an article once about people doing exactly this. People would travel to Central America or India to get operations at a fraction of the cost.

I don't remember the details about whether or not U.S. insurance was covering these trips, or if U.S. law even allows them to.

Either way, it's a good idea.
    They are and its allowed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's commonly called medical tourism. A lot of elective and cosmetic surgery gets done that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have friends in town who came from Mexico illegally. (Citizens now.) A cousin came from Mexico illegally, about two years ago. She started having horrible headaches, and went to the emergency room. They found a large tumor inside her skull. The situation was bad enough that they set her up for surgery the next day. The testing, operation, and all the follow-up care came to over $1M. She paid nothing. Nada.

We are not exactly the hard-hearted society that some people claim.

I'm glad you got the healthcare you and your daughter required, Teysha. One thing a lot of people should realize about medications being "under-written" by the drug companies. Those drug companies pass the cost on to all their other customers, in the form of higher prices. My wife takes Copaxone for MS - an injection every day. The cost of the drug has gone up from about $2,100 per month to its current $3,600 per month, even though drugs used to go down in price after they have been on the market for a while. It's because so many people are being "under-written", and those costs are being passed on.

I'm not ing about people getting the medication for free. I'm just pointing out that there is MUCH more subsidized healthcare going on than this administration will admit to.
    Add in the fact that the leading cause of personal bankruptcy is... medical bills. A quick google search will find the studies if anyone cares to look, I have linked them here before.

This means that the costs of the uninsured not only get passed on to people with insurance companies, when other debts get discharged or modified in this process, such as credit card bills or car payments, or house loans, or whatever else gets monkeyed with, THOSE costs get passed on to everyone who borrows money for anything.

All of this acts like a tax.

You don't see it, but you pay for it in EVERYTHING you buy, and with lower earnings rates on saved money. The method of shifting these costs uses a LOT of administrative services. It would be interesting to get a study to quantify this, but my gut says this is VERY inefficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's commonly called medical tourism. A lot of elective and cosmetic surgery gets done that way.
    It will be ramped up in the future. 1/4 the cost of conventional hip replacement, your own condo to recouperate with, a nurse:patient ratio of 1:1, a month of post op treatment, etc.

You get western hospital administrators and certifications, but use the labor costs of other countries.

The trick has been getting insurance companies to sign on, and worries about liabilities, but insurance companies are starting to realize they can save money.

Wiki seems to have expanded a bit on their entry since I last checked.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism

Cuba figures prominently there. Lift the sanctions, and you can have a ready-made pool of cheap doctors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Confirmed.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Letting Americans import their prescription drugs from whereever they could buy them cheaper would also do wonders.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Good to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obamacare sucks, they found out about the death panels years ago. I'd be a lot more worried if I was elderly tbh, I know that healthcare is a big problem but throwing people under the bus is bull .
    The "death panels" thing was debunked years ago.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/euthanasia.asp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More bits to keep in mind:
    The majority of your health care spending will be in the last 10 years of your life.
    There is a 25% chance you will be incapacitated during that time, and require SOMEONE to make the call to keep you alive using machines or other highly expensive methods. In the end you will still die. That someone is usually a lifelong mate or close relative out of their normal mind with grief.
    Studies have shown that simple things like DNR's or making your wishes about the amount of effort you want spent keeping you alive in a vegatative state, can cut health care costs considerably.

Thread Information