Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now, what is done with said information is another matter entirely. That almost certainly would become an issue down the road though.
    I can see Arizona and Texas racing to see who can crank out a law first that requires health facilities that receive medicare/medicaid funds from the state to report uninsured people.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Depends on what your income is no?
    2% just isn't enough to make much a difference. most people who make the $50k and more have employer healthcare that they pay part of. My part is already in excess of $1k annual. My employers part is in excess of $5k annual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    illegals, like uninsured, receive "free care" (compassinate) care only at taxpayer funded facilities.

Now we have 40M uninsured at least paying something in (buy for-profit insurance or pay the penalty).

The real problem is that medical care and insurance are exorbitantly, unjustifiably expensive. any attempts to address that gets shouted down by screams and whining from the sick-care richies.

solution:

govt-employed, govt-financed doctors working on salary, not for fee-for-service,

and a hard-core, univeral no-profit public insurance option, taken out of every paycheck.
    I agree about the costs. They are outrageous.

I disagree with the solution though, unless salaries are kept in line with what they are now. The Mayo Clinic uses this model and it works fairly well. The downside, is that it takes quite a long time to get an appointment to see their physicians (the workload is also reduced). Granted, they are supported by numerous endowments, etc.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    and you will be taxed in 2014.
    If my taxes increase of this, I will really be pissed. I already pay out for insurance.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would they need to report to the government? The government will already know.
    How? Honest quesiton, I'm really not sure how the government is going to track who has insurance and who doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if Chris Matthews still stands by this comment he made the other day?

Does anyone wonder like I do what this Supreme Court – the one personified by Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas — would have done with the landmark decisions in the post-World War II era. I wonder if this court would have backed desegregation in the Brown case. I doubt this pack of conservatives, which includes Chief Justice John Roberts, Sam Alito and Anthony Kennedy, would have voted to knock down “separate but equal” in the 1950s.

I doubt this group would have removed organized prayer from public schools back in the 1960s – that decision that ignited the moral majority.

I doubt that this court would have recognized a woman’s right to decide on an abortion in the 1970s.

Let me proffer a tougher judgment: would this court – voting as it does today – have upheld the 1964 Civil Rights Bill, which declared it illegal to refuse access to someone because of race to a restaurant, hotel or a gas station restroom?

Would Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy and Alito have approved such a decision, or would they have joined the dissent? Well, maybe Kennedy would have.

The fact is that we have the most conservative court since the early 1930s, and maybe more conservative than that. These justices, led by Scalia, believe in original intent. They want to judge cases the way the Founding Fathers would. Well, the Founding Fathers – need I remind us all – wrote slavery into the Cons ution. It took a Civil War and the 13th Amendment to get it out.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    maybe. though you're probably the only one who heard it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm proud of the court. A non-partisan decision. Calling the mandate a tax brings clarity. Nothing in this world is free. Expect that tax to be 2400 per year in no time.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    LOL, you think I'm a Republican and SnakeBoy thinks I'm a Democrat.

I think that means I'm exactly where I need to be.
    bots are inherently binary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think he is reaching at all.

This system creates a situation where every person in America legally pays for Health Care in one way or another, and illegal aliens don't.
    Paying the tax is not paying for healthcare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tweet from DNC executive director, Patrick Gaspard

classy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I don't like the mandate (I'd prefer single payer) the ruling is logical. I've thought for quite some time that the law's biggest legal mistake was not calling the fine a tax, because that's what it is. It's an emergency room tax. Buying insurance gets you an exemption. Pretty simple concept. The reasons for not calling it that are obviously political, as taxes are the devil in politics, unless they are for rich people. Surprisingly, the Supreme Court looked through the smoke and mirrors and interpreted the law for what it was. I am glad they specifically said the commerce clause does not permit the mandate, as that could have opened pandora's box. Good day for President Obama, and all the people that benefit from the ACA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 4 Repug/VRWC JINO extemist Repug hacks went solidly as predicted, so Matthews was right on those 4.

Kennedy was a swinger.

My guess is that umpire Roberts just might have thought he better, for his place in history as "the Roberts court", call this ball in favor of Human-Americans and progress of American civilization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you guys are really overestimating the systems ability to track undo ented people through further do entation when every instance of this type of situation already in place doesn't.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    That's probably what will happen. They system will probably stay the same, with the insured paying for the uninsured, and our rates not decreasing. Like all dedicated funds, congress will spend it where ever they please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tweet from DNC executive director, Patrick Gaspard

classy

Hahahahahahahhaha your butt hurt is so high. He's talking directly to you, .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it precisely is. It is funding the payments that will be made on your behalf when you use the emergency room without insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, but that's kind of where I'm going.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way (and this is likely better suited for its own thread), but I think it stresses the need for serious immigration reform.

The bottom line, is that so long as relative quality of life differences exist between nations, you will NEVER put a stop to immigration. The idea that you can is naive. One of the basic elements of human nature is the animal instinct to survive and seek out the best living situation possible.

My person opinion is that EVERY HUMAN BEING should have the right to try to do best for themselves and their families. If you were a poor Mexican, you'd be trying your damnedest to get here too.

The idea that we already have a system by which immigrants can come here legally is laughable. For starters, there are quotas in place which by default create the incentive for people to bypass the system in order seek a better life for themselves, the same goes with work permits and visas.

Call it a Guest Worker program, or whatever you want, but we need a system by which people can come to this country without a path to citizenship but still pay taxes. Any other immigration solution is a waste of time.
    I totally agree and am on record in here as saying the same thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've thought for quite some time that the law's biggest legal mistake was not calling the fine a tax, because that's what it is. It's an emergency room tax. Buying insurance gets you an exemption. Pretty simple concept.
    This is exactly correct.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? Honest quesiton, I'm really not sure how the government is going to track who has insurance and who doesn't.
    If they rely on hospitals then they're not going to get much info since most people don't visit a hospital already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree and am on record in here as saying the same thing.
    High fives!

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Explain to us why he wouldn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it precisely is. It is funding the payments that will be made on your behalf when you use the emergency room without insurance.
    I feel as though if I you disagree with me on this point I'm probably wrong so I'll go with what you're saying.

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Is this really the biggest tax increase ever?

you fail at trollin' me TheMACHINE's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Also...is the $400 in addition to my normal insurance?

Thread Information