Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, the rebounding and inability to play big don't help one little bit, but neither does this kind of thing.
    I wouldn't discount Pop telling Bertans "shoot it at the slighest window of opportunity you get". Pop likes his shooters to shoot, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, the rebounding and inability to play big don't help one little bit, but neither does this kind of thing.
    Youre looking way too far into it.

Its simply a numbers game. Bertans is the odd man out because Rudy is balling & Kyle is playing solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Its simply a numbers game. Bertans is the odd man out because Rudy is balling & Kyle is playing solid.
    He could still be getting minutes over Paul or Forbes, tbh. Or an injured Lauvergne for that matter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could still be getting minutes over Paul or Forbes, tbh. Or an injured Lauvergne for that matter.
    Paul & Forbes play different positions and both are playing better than Patty. Why would Pop sit them and move Kyle or Gay to the back up 2 to get Davis on the floor?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't discount Pop telling Bertans "shoot it at the slighest window of opportunity you get". Pop likes his shooters to shoot, tbh.
    IMO, Pop likes his shooters to take good shots. I don't think he'd count a 29ft pull up after 4 seconds as a "window of opportunity"...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paul & Forbes play different positions and both are playing better than Patty. Why would Pop sit them and move Kyle or Gay to the back up 2 to get Davis on the floor?
    You don't need to move either of them to the two spot.

Danny and Manu play the 2.
    Anderson and Gay play the 3
    LA and Bertans play the 4 (with some Gay here and there to finish off the halves).

It seems like Lauvergne's injury opened up more minutes for Paul and Forbes, when in normal cir stances it should have opened more time for Bertans, tbh.

I'm not complaining much since the team is doing OK, but don't try to sell like it's expected for Bertans to not be getting any time with Kawhi and Lauvergne out, tbh.

You also didn't adress my previous question about Bertans starting the season as a rotation player and seemingly losing that position after only half a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop wasn’t sure if Rudy Gay was going to play much 4 during preseason. It’s possible they originally contemplated Joffrey + Davis + Rudy or Gasol + Davis + Kyle with Rudy starting. However the Kawhi injury forced changes and Rudy is playing so well as a bench 3/4 that he’s taken Davis role up. Unfortunately Davis lacking toughness rebounding and rim protection makes him unworkable next to Rudy in Joff’s place I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This bit from tonight's play by play might be a hint as to why Bertans is no getting minutes:

1:58 Davis Bertans misses 29-foot three point pullup jump shot
    2:02 Davis Bertans enters the game for Kyle Anderson

4 seconds to pull the trigger on a 29ft pull up jumper. Shot selection is a thing...
    Bertans came in after the ball was knock OoB. The shot itself was fine, as the clock was running down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed. Not all that complicated.

Mills, Manu, Anderson, Gay and Joff is going to be the likely bench when the Spurs finally get healthy.

Sub Joff out of that spot and sub Gasol in (he probably starts and plays the first five minutes of each half then playing with the second unit when LMA is out of the game.) and that's probably the playoff rotation. Bertans can't find minutes on this team tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Working on his defense with Big fundamental

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Working on his defense with Big fundamental

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is the difference between first round exit and .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans is the difference between first round exit and .
    Role players always are

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My expectations of Bertans were higher. He did well during the summer playing for the national team.

With Gay playing well and Anderson play controlled basketball, there's no reason to play Bertans. Both Gay and Anderson have 7'2"+ wingspans. That's why they are in the court and Bertans isn't. The way Spurs play defense is that they are using their length. That's why even Brandon Paul gets on the court even if he's just 6'4", he's got a 6'10" wingspan, he's got a winspan that a bit longer than Dejounte Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My expectations of Bertans were higher. He did well during the summer playing for the national team.

With Gay playing well and Anderson play controlled basketball, there's no reason to play Bertans. Both Gay and Anderson have 7'2"+ wingspans. That's why they are in the court and Bertans isn't. The way Spurs play defense is that they are using their length. That's why even Brandon Paul gets on the court even if he's just 6'4", he's got a 6'10" wingspan, he's got a winspan that a bit longer than Dejounte Murray.
    This man is wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What is Bertans wingspan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Give this man some playing time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Give this man some playing time.
    Who is sitting for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is sitting for him?
    Dudes be playing well but I would rather give minutes to Bertans over most of the bench guys (and even some starters). Manu, Forbes, Paul, Anderson, Lauvergne, Mills; you name it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is sitting for him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dudes be playing well but I would rather give minutes to Bertans over most of the bench guys (and even some starters). Manu, Forbes, Paul, Anderson, Lauvergne, Mills; you name it.
    Spurs are deep and Davis is (for now) the odd man out. He's got his flaws, but a 6'10" sharpshooter who shot .400 from 3 his rookie year and now is north of .400 again, has a place in this league even if only for situational duty. There is not a single guy on this team you can't make a good case for more playing time. (Even the much maligned Patty has to be given time to shoot himself out of his slump). Despite the naysayers RC has built a deep team with talent. It's good problem to have even if it is bad for Davis (and probably White even when healthy). If Kawhi and Tony can return (and return to form) this team should fear no one but the Dubs and maybe Houston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis had gotten a lot of playing time in preseason and some in the regular season and had been in a shooting slump, maybe affected by his tied up injured finger. It's possible that affected him getting time to begin with.

Lauvergne plays as a center most of his time and is a big body for setting screens and rebounding. Davis' game is entirely different and he can't provide what Joff does (and vice versa, but what Joff is supposed to provide is still needed from somebody in the team, that's the issue. Davis can't provide it).

He's probably going to be blocked from playing time mostly by Lamarcus and Rudy Gay when everyone is healthy but I am sure Pop will rest them at times and manage their minutes. Kyle has earned his playing time and it's coming mostly in Kawhi's stead. This was his opportunity and he earned it. He will eventually give up his minutes to the team's MVP.

The Spurs guards have generally been a weakness offensively (save the occasional Danny LDN game and a few good Murray games) and Bryn has been among the best guards lately. He's shooting well, providing a spark and been a positive contributor and the stats support it. This is also his opportunity.

Brandon has earned his playing time mostly on grit defensively. He's drawing charges, stealing the ball, taking on tough defensive assignments when Bryn or someone is getting exposed. It's been a huge plus that he's also shooting well but he gets in games mostly on account of his defense.

You could bench Mills but then again him and Davis don't play the same position. Same with Manu.

Problem for Davis is that he plays a position that has been a Spurs strength. The Spurs best players have been bigs/forwards this season.

However, having said all that, I do expect that once Joff is back to the rotation, Davis may start to get some minutes next to him and maybe some of the bigs give up some minutes since they can use some micromanaging to keep them fresh.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 11-13-2017 at 11:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are deep and Davis is (for now) the odd man out. He's got his flaws, but a 6'10" sharpshooter who shot .400 from 3 his rookie year and now is north of .400 again, has a place in this league even if only for situational duty. There is not a single guy on this team you can't make a good case for more playing time. (Even the much maligned Patty has to be given time to shoot himself out of his slump). Despite the naysayers RC has built a deep team with talent. It's good problem to have even if it is bad for Davis (and probably White even when healthy). If Kawhi and Tony can return (and return to form) this team should fear no one but the Dubs and maybe Houston.
    Good post Bill. +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post Bill. +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This kid needs playing time. He is the purest shooter we have. Most of his defensive problems are because of being overexcited on the few times he gets playing minutes. Give him time and watch those mistakes dissapear.
    Last edited by DAF86; 11-17-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Thread Information