Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If SA absolutely HATED Deni they probably wouldn't have him in their top ten. NBA teams don't exactly build their big boards around mock drafts from questionable sources, they build them on great scouting. Chances are if they have them in their top ten they actually like him.
    Meh. Consensus definitely matters. If anything it does regards to value/trades etc.

But sure it was about making the point stick; Spurs pick 11 and regardless of how much they like him they would want to know for sure and would be working him out.

Does SA go with their board no matter what? Yeah sure. But the fact that Deni is consensus top 10 is because enough people have done their due diligence around the league and it shaped how they build their own boards. You can not like someone and still want to work them out to make 100% sure you didn’t miss something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Deni not be in your range? Guys fall all the time.

If you know Edward’s and LaMelo 100% won’t be there pick 11, you use your 10 spots on the next 10 best guys because you are GUARANTEED to get one of them. Deni is in that next 10.
    I disagree with this line of reasoning, tbh.

The Spurs shouldn't necessarily use their 10 limited workouts on the top-10 (or top 9 according to your example), and maybe not even 5 of them; they can assume a small pool of top players (let's say Wiseman, LaMelo, Deni, Edwards) most certainly won't be available at 11, and if they were, they'd be BPA by such a wide margin that they wouldn't need to have worked them out to draft them on the spot. Then, they can use their 10 workouts on prospects 5 through 15 of their big board, and get a much more thorough evaluation of prospects that are likely to fall near their range. There can always be last minute trades, so having worked out the highest possible amount of players who could end up drafted around you would be the best strategy.

Of course, that all hinges on the Spurs assuming they won't be moving up by any means... Which is exactly what's interesting about them working out Avdija, who by all accounts is far from the Spurs' range. I personally think it's smoke and mirrors, and the Spurs can also perfectly follow my strategy for 9 or 8 of their workouts, then do a couple of "random" top players they'd like to see. But I don't understand why you're denying the possibility so vehemently...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with this line of reasoning, tbh.

The Spurs shouldn't necessarily use their 10 limited workouts on the top-10 (or top 9 according to your example), and maybe not even 5 of them; they can assume a small pool of top players (let's say Wiseman, LaMelo, Deni, Edwards) most certainly won't be available at 11, and if they were, they'd be BPA by such a wide margin that they wouldn't need to have worked them out to draft them on the spot. Then, they can use their 10 workouts on prospects 5 through 15 of their big board, and get a much more thorough evaluation of prospects that are likely to fall near their range. There can always be last minute trades, so having worked out the highest possible amount of players who could end up drafted around you would be the best strategy.

Of course, that all hinges on the Spurs assuming they won't be moving up by any means... Which is exactly what's interesting about them working out Avdija, who by all accounts is far from the Spurs' range. I personally think it's smoke and mirrors, and the Spurs can also perfectly follow my strategy for 9 or 8 of their workouts, then do a couple of "random" top players they'd like to see. But I don't understand why you're denying the possibility so vehemently...
    I’m not. I’m simply saying it’s not informative that they did this. Doesn’t mean there’s no interest but IMO it’s not “telling”

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I assume this is for Chip to see his shooting form if it is fixable. He is known to be a Manu type compe or those players usually pan out. With GS and MIN shopping their picks the option is there to move up and spurs are evaluating if it is worth it considering they have to give up Murray or White.

GS is playing CHA right know to trade up for Wiseman. They can probably dump Wiggins contract on CHA then flip the 3rd pick for another asset and a lottery pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Deni not be in your range? Guys fall all the time.

If you know Edward’s and LaMelo 100% won’t be there pick 11, you use your 10 spots on the next 10 best guys because you are GUARANTEED to get one of them. Deni is in that next 10.
    Deni is a top 3 pick... he's not falling to 11... if we want him we are moving way up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka success in Dallas makes me believe this guy will be gone by 11. Seems like that DDR pick swap with ATL would be necessary. He looks like a bum to me tho.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes I agree - Deni reminds me more of Dragan Bender than Luka. Luka has an insane feel for the game, I think Deni is kind of raw still.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka success in Dallas makes me believe this guy will be gone by 11. Seems like that DDR pick swap with ATL would be necessary. He looks like a bum to me tho.
    I don't think he's our real target. I think the workout was just PATFO doing their due diligence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard pass. His weaknesses are alarming esp. in moving up for the draft heck even @ 11th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deni is a top 3 pick... he's not falling to 11... if we want him we are moving way up.
    I’ll take that bet. If he goes in top 3 you win. If not? I do. What do you want to bet?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know I'm not much of a gambler... $100 bucks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deni is 3rd on my wish list but I do admit he does has some definite bust potential lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know I'm not much of a gambler... $100 bucks?
    Sure. I probably won’t even make you pay up either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So one thing that hasn't been asked is if Murray and White WANT to be Spurs long term. I think there's a decent chance at least one of them doesn't want to, so a trade could happen. The Spurs find themselves in a Parker/Hill situation where they can use the value of one to boost the value of the other. For Hill, the Spurs supposedly being willing to move Tony created the impression that they saw George as the PG of the future. If they signal they are willing to move Murray, then White's value might see the same boost or vice-versa, though to a smaller extent. The same is actually true for both of those guys and Walker/Johnson if the Spurs suggest they are willing to move DeRozan, but there's more noise there.

That's all a long way of saying that the team might well have a pick in the top seven despite it currently looking like they won't give themselves the chance. Maybe something like DMDR and LMA for 7 and Griffin could make sense. It gives the Pistons a strong lineup while saving them future salary. I think 11 is too strong to add in considering how much money they're giving up for a player who isn't a clear upgrade. But if that's what it takes to get the guy they want, it could make sense.

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
    Johnson, White, Weatherspoon
    Avidjia (7), Walker, Woodard (41)
    Griffin, Gay, Samanic
    Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

That's not the worst team out there, thought it would for them to open up a max slot in 2021 unless Blake was willing to opt out and re-up for a fair bit less.

In case folks were still wondering, THIS is why SA was stupid for releasing Carroll without getting a good deal in the buyout. They'd likely be able to include him in a plenty of deals to get rid of his salary. Now, it stays stuck, unstretched on the cap next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I gather White and Murray want to be here. However, with White he does want to be paid fairly (first big deal, not someone with high career earnings). He seems to be going into negotiations with every intention of staying as long as Spurs make fair offers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure. I probably won’t even make you pay up either
    Lol... Paying up won't be a problem..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol... Paying up won't be a problem..
    No lol - I meant I would probably tell you to donate it to a charity vs paying me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So one thing that hasn't been asked is if Murray and White WANT to be Spurs long term. I think there's a decent chance at least one of them doesn't want to, so a trade could happen. The Spurs find themselves in a Parker/Hill situation where they can use the value of one to boost the value of the other. For Hill, the Spurs supposedly being willing to move Tony created the impression that they saw George as the PG of the future. If they signal they are willing to move Murray, then White's value might see the same boost or vice-versa, though to a smaller extent. The same is actually true for both of those guys and Walker/Johnson if the Spurs suggest they are willing to move DeRozan, but there's more noise there.

That's all a long way of saying that the team might well have a pick in the top seven despite it currently looking like they won't give themselves the chance. Maybe something like DMDR and LMA for 7 and Griffin could make sense. It gives the Pistons a strong lineup while saving them future salary. I think 11 is too strong to add in considering how much money they're giving up for a player who isn't a clear upgrade. But if that's what it takes to get the guy they want, it could make sense.

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
    Griffin, Gay, Samanic
    Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

That's not the worst team out there, thought it would for them to open up a max slot in 2021 unless Blake was willing to opt out and re-up for a fair bit less.

In case folks were still wondering, THIS is why SA was stupid for releasing Carroll without getting a good deal in the buyout. They'd likely be able to include him in a plenty of deals to get rid of his salary. Now, it stays stuck, unstretched on the cap next season.
    Would also want Kennard in that deal if we sent Det DDR and LMA. So DDR/LMA to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

but I’d prefer to do Murray, Gay, DDR to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would also want Kennard in that deal if we sent Det DDR and LMA. So DDR/LMA to Det for Griffin/Kennard/#7

I'd say that's a more realistic deal as well. I can't see Detroit taking on both DDR and LMA's salaries in this uncertain financial climate, and given both players' ages. A deal including a young "PG" like DJ who's locked up on a "good" contract for years, sounds much more palatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Detroit would want 11 too in that deal, which would be dicey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say that's a more realistic deal as well. I can't see Detroit taking on both DDR and LMA's salaries in this uncertain financial climate, and given both players' ages. A deal including a young "PG" like DJ who's locked up on a "good" contract for years, sounds much more palatable.
    I don't get why you think taking DJM's and Gay's deal instead of LMA's is better for DET financially. It's more money, and more long-term money while also leaving a hole that isn't there right now. For the Spurs, it's a poor use of resources, because they'll have to make up for losing two guards while only getting a decent one back. Then they'd have to deal with a LMA/Griffin front court. Talented, but I don't think they'd play well together.

I do get the appeal of moving Murray to off-set some of Griffin's money. They'd probably have a realistic path to a max slot if they did that. It's just not my main priority anymore unless the Spurs move up to 7 to draft Haliburton or something. Then you try to trade for a mid-first to draft a wing

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No lol - I meant I would probably tell you to donate it to a charity vs paying me
    I like that.... if I win...send mine to St Jude's...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka was a star when he was 19. He outplayed Dragic at Eurobasket being that young. Deni is nowhere near that

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Murray, Mills, Vet PG
    Griffin, Gay, Samanic
    Poeltl, Lyles, Eubanks

Solid points re: the Hill and Parker situation. Lots of smoke and mirrors with the Spurs, which is smart.

Thread Information