Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I take it Capitol Police don't wear body cams? Otherwise I'm sure we'd be seeing some insane POV video by now.
    not 100% sure, this is recalled by heart, I think Capitol Police answers directly to Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    other reputational damage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guy seems to be well regarded. Shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's patriotic myrmidons aren't done yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's patriotic myrmidons aren't done yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to understand Trumpism, look no further than authoritarian Islamist movements worldwide, especially in Turkey which used to be secular

Both groups:
    - Get brainwashed by exploiting their fear of the "other" (immigrants, minorities, liberals for Trumpers; the West, non-Muslims, neighbor nations for Islamists)
    - Believe that they are a persecuted minority despite literally being part of the majority race/religion in their respective countries
    - Hold outlandish beliefs about a "Day of Reckoning" (the QAnon fantasy, Holy War and Judgement Day)
    - Ignore/break laws because they view themselves as the good guys / patriots / chosen ones
    - Blame the "enemy" when the hits the fan (Islamists blame CIA/Mossad, Trumpers blame Antifa/BLM/false flags)

The big difference, of course, is that Trumpism is 5 years old, while modern Islamism has been around for decades. Right now Trumpers are disorganized and incompetent, but they are not a fringe group. They come from all walks of life, and have a strong presence in the government, police, military and the church. It took Turkey a while to move from secularism to Islamic authoritarianism, but that slide became irreversible once it gathered momentum

I'm not sure what the answer is. In the hands of a skilled authoritarian, the working class has historically proved easy to manipulate on the basis of religion/culture/race. Sometimes it takes a national crisis or external threat to unite people and overcome internal divisions. In the meantime, here's hoping that the Trump movement doesn't find a charismatic leader.
    wonder if susan collins was on to something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by RD2191; 01-11-2021 at 08:22 PM. Reason: .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to understand Trumpism, look no further than authoritarian Islamist movements worldwide, especially in Turkey which used to be secular

Both groups:
    - Get brainwashed by exploiting their fear of the "other" (immigrants, minorities, liberals for Trumpers; the West, non-Muslims, neighbor nations for Islamists)
    - Believe that they are a persecuted minority despite literally being part of the majority race/religion in their respective countries
    - Hold outlandish beliefs about a "Day of Reckoning" (the QAnon fantasy, Holy War and Judgement Day)
    - Ignore/break laws because they view themselves as the good guys / patriots / chosen ones
    - Blame the "enemy" when the hits the fan (Islamists blame CIA/Mossad, Trumpers blame Antifa/BLM/false flags)

The big difference, of course, is that Trumpism is 5 years old, while modern Islamism has been around for decades. Right now Trumpers are disorganized and incompetent, but they are not a fringe group. They come from all walks of life, and have a strong presence in the government, police, military and the church. It took Turkey a while to move from secularism to Islamic authoritarianism, but that slide became irreversible once it gathered momentum

I'm not sure what the answer is. In the hands of a skilled authoritarian, the working class has historically proved easy to manipulate on the basis of religion/culture/race. Sometimes it takes a national crisis or external threat to unite people and overcome internal divisions. In the meantime, here's hoping that the Trump movement doesn't find a charismatic leader.
    Trumpism has only been around for a few years, but the sense of grievance and en lement has been building up ever since the inception of Fox News started creating a politically expedient narrative that the conservative politicians could use to fleece the rubes.

Thread Information