View Poll Results: Greatest American Director?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Spielberg

10 25.64%
  • Martin Scorsese

15 38.46%
  • Francis Ford Coppola

0 0%
  • Clint Eastwood

1 2.56%
  • Woody Allen

2 5.13%
  • Quentin Tarantino

2 5.13%
  • Spike Lee

1 2.56%
  • Stanley Kubrick

5 12.82%
  • The Coen Brothers

2 5.13%
  • Robert Altman

1 2.56%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ATRAIN is gay peewee's lovechild's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    No. In terms of technical skill -- and I'm talking about film techniques here, not CG and special effects -- I'd say that e Lee has Lucas beat by a considerable margin.

Lucas definitely is in the discussion when you're dealing with the whos and whys of technological advancements in film, but in general he's a much better storyteller than he is a filmmaker. Take away all the digital doodads from the prequels, for instance, and the films become quite... pedestrian.

Star Wars and American Graffiti are pure, but nothing else of his is really that impressive.
    Movies are stories. They're supposed to have a storytelling narrative. You're supposed to believe in the characters and feel like your part of the environment.

Lucas does that and then some.

I don't think many people "get" the prequels because they desperatley want them to be exactly like the original trilogy. Take away everything else, and you still have a pure story of innocence perverted by fear.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Legitimate question: should we be looking at film makers who are American born, or makers of American films?
    Yeah I was thinking more of American born filmmakers. Or at least American raised - someone that grew up in this country and is influenced by that.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    lucas does have an incredible way of coaxing incredibly wooden performances from his actors. i think you may take me for a star wars basher, but i'm not - i loved the movie, but that doesn't mean it's a great film or that lucas is a great director. lucas gave us THX, ILM, and a host of other great stuff but i don't think you can say he's done stellar work as a director. do you think e lee could make ewan macgregor look so bad?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    as far as entertainment value and in it's importance to the furthering of the craft, no, Do The Right Thing is not better than Star Wars.

as far as artistic value and social relevance and being a truly independent-minded film that sparks discussion, Do The Right Thing is far superior.
    Lucas and Coppola are the Godfathers (pardon the pun) of independent filmaking.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I don't think many people "get" the prequels
    Lucas himself didn't "get" the prequels either as they're full of holes in plot, logic, and basic human behavior.

I don't think Lucas "gets" humanity anymore either as you could have easily replaced Anakin with a droid and gotten the same result.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Lucas and Coppola are the Godfathers (pardon the pun) of independent filmaking.
    John Cassavetes might disagree with that (if he was still alive of course)

And outside of the US, Truffaut and Godard were true independent filmmakers well before Lucas and Coppola.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    actually, the best thing lucas, spielberg, and coppola ever did was get Ran and kagemusha the budgets and exposure they deserved.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Movies are stories. They're supposed to have a storytelling narrative. You're supposed to believe in the characters and feel like your part of the environment.
    But they're also a visual art form, so that has to account for something as well.

The core of this argument, of course, is that both directors are so completely opposite in style as to make it almost impossible to compare. Star Wars directed by e Lee would be horrible. So would Do The Right Thing directed by Geroge Lucas.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    lucas does have an incredible way of coaxing incredibly wooden performances from his actors. i think you may take me for a star wars basher, but i'm not - i loved the movie, but that doesn't mean it's a great film or that lucas is a great director. lucas gave us THX, ILM, and a host of other great stuff but i don't think you can say he's done stellar work as a director. do you think e lee could make ewan macgregor look so bad?
    THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO ACT THAT WAY!!!!!

Remember that the characters were from a very proper society. They were supposed to hide their emotions and put on a different face to others. That's why Anakin was always confused with his emotions. Do you think Palpatine put on a wooden performance?? No, that's because he gave in to his emotions, which was a Jedi no-no.

I said it once and I'll say it again, most people just don't get what the prequels were all about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Lucas himself didn't "get" the prequels either as they're full of holes in plot, logic, and basic human behavior.

I don't think Lucas "gets" humanity anymore either as you could have easily replaced Anakin with a droid and gotten the same result.
    You have to understand the world that Lucas created in order to understand the way his characters interacted.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    I'm a child of two actors and have practically grown up in the theater -- no one, ever, is supposed to act that way. For any reason.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    acting can be understated and subtle without being wooden. See Gwyneth Paltrow in The Royal Tenenbaums. Actually everyone in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    John Cassavetes might disagree with that (if he was still alive of course)

And outside of the US, Truffaut and Godard were true independent filmmakers well before Lucas and Coppola.
    First of all, we're talking about American directors.

Secondly, they were the ones that changed everything on Hollywood because they refused to play by their rules.

They put American Independent films on the map, something that has been lost in the past few years.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    But they're also a visual art form, so that has to account for something as well.

The core of this argument, of course, is that both directors are so completely opposite in style as to make it almost impossible to compare. Star Wars directed by e Lee would be horrible. So would Do The Right Thing directed by Geroge Lucas.
    Agreed.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    I'm a child of two actors and have practically grown up in the theater -- no one, ever, is supposed to act that way. For any reason.
    Yes they are, if they're supposed to be Jedi's who are void of any emotions whatsoever.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You have to understand the world that Lucas created in order to understand the way his characters interacted.
    i assume you can also not begin to comprehend shakespeare without a full knowledge of Victorian society, Mr. Eliot.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    acting can be understated and subtle without being wooden. See Gwyneth Paltrow in The Royal Tenenbaums. Actually everyone in The Royal Tenenbaums.
    Apples and oranges my friend.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    First of all, we're talking about American directors.
    Cassavetes was American.

Secondly, they were the ones that changed everything on Hollywood because they refused to play by their rules.

They put American Independent films on the map, something that has been lost in the past few years.
    Scorsese and Coppola did far more to further the craft than Lucas ever did. Lucas made it possible for Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich to bukkake us all with stupid.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Apples and oranges my friend.
    not really

you say the "culture" of the Star Wars world is to suppress emotion and not show it outwardly.

The Royal Tenenbaums has nothing but characters who hide and suppress their emotions as much as possible.

Wes Anderson got good performances out of his actors, George Lucas did not. End of story.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    i assume you can also not begin to comprehend shakespeare without a full knowledge of Victorian society, Mr. Eliot.
    That's acutally a very good statement.

I taught in public school for years and the kids always complained that they just "didn't get Shakespeare". If you fully understand Shakespeare's society, it definitely helps in understanding his works.

Not to say that it's necessary, of course.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cassavetes was American.

Scorsese and Coppola did far more to further the craft than Lucas ever did. Lucas made it possible for Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich to bukkake us all with stupid.
    I don't know how to respond to that.

But, I get where you're going with Cassavettes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Yes it is.

Anderson's characters have problems understanding their emotions.

Lucas' Jedi, are not supposed to have emotions.

Apples and oranges.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Yes they are, if they're supposed to be Jedi's who are void of any emotions whatsoever.
    But... it doesn't come across as void of emotions. It comes across as a crappy performance.

Part of the "better story teller than filmmaker" thing -- Lucas' goal is presenting the story, and the toys. The camera work, editing and performances are secondary, and it shows. And it IS the director's job to direct the performances.

It's one of the things that sets Scorsese so far apart from the pack. , even Sharon Stone got (and deserved!) an Oscar nomination when she worked with him. e Lee's not quite on that level, few are, but he's also managed to coax a few amazing performances.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Lucas' Jedi, are not supposed to have emotions.
    just sounds like a quick write-in on the script so that Lucas could just tell his actors "just be as dull as possible, i don't give a crap" while he went and played with all his cool little gadgets instead of doing some real directing work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    e Lee's not quite on that level, few are, but he's also managed to coax a few amazing performances.
    Denzel's performance in Malcolm X is my favorite of all time, especially if you read the biography of Malcolm X and see any old footage of him. Denzel had him down perfect, and it wasn't just some Jamie Foxx-like imitation, he had the heart and soul of Malcolm X in that performance.

Thread Information