Page 44 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1703
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lauri disrespect is crazy. Dude was a late bloomer.

Kawhi was a 12/6 guy through his first four years. Joker was a 15/9 guy through his first three years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would they have the assets is another question but there would be no shortage of teams interested in Young. For all the flaws you do or don't see in him, he's known quan y in a league where proven talent is what you're looking for, as a still young former/potential all star who can still improve... Picks are not as valuable as they're used to, and you can hold to them all you want, fantasizing about drafting the next gem but statiscally very few of your picks (for any team) will end up as a player as valuable as Young, specially after the top 3 after which there's always a huge cliff.

big markets (LA, NY, Miami, Boston) don't buld through the draft anymore and will always consider any opportunity to add proven talent via trades, if anything for marketing and business reasons too. Gotta sell dem expensive tickets. Their volatile fanbases won't pay to see a bunch rookies and sop res. and I should say that's what the whole NBA tends to... Long, classic rebuildings are gonna become a thing of the past. Detroit has been taking for a while now, adding picks, and they don't really seem to go anywhere, and I'm seeing some worrying similarities with our spurs. It's only been two years of "official" tanking and the perspectives wouldn't be that much better if they decide to keep that road, just adding two picks this summer, leading to another 2-3 years of hard to watch basketball and no real compe ive team.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-06-2024 at 01:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kawhi was a 12/6 guy through his first four years. Joker was a 15/9 guy through his first three years.
    This tbh

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade the picks. Brian Wrong’s eye for talent is as bad as the ers I see in the Draft thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would they have the assets is another question but there would be no shortage of teams interested in Young.
    Who?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would they have the assets is another question but there would be no shortage of teams interested in Young.
    Name a single asset that any other team has that is worth more to the Hawks than getting any one of their picks back from the Spurs and de facto entering the tankathon?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah or maybe Lauri's a late bloomer like so many people want Dev to be.

This deal would be contingent on Lauri being open to extension which the Spurs could front load so when they have to pay Wemby Lauri's salary will drop significantly.
    You don’t trade for someone who is “open” to an extension, or you’re likely to wind up with a Marcus Morris II. If they can’t or won’t sign one, they’re an ending contract, and should be paid for like one or not acquired. It’s a business.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I honestly don't understand what Lauri is supposed to be doing on a basketball court to help Wemby, especially over point guard play, which we desperately need.

Lauri would be fine on a good deal...but it's probably going to take a max or so close to a max it might as well be a max contract to keep him if you can trade for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I honestly don't understand what Lauri is supposed to be doing on a basketball court to help Wemby, especially over point guard play, which we desperately need.

Lauri would be fine on a good deal...but it's probably going to take a max or so close to a max it might as well be a max contract to keep him if you can trade for him.
    The most important thing, which is what Wemby is most lacking right now, even more than a guy that throws him lobs, is spacing. Lauri is an elite floor spacer at the PF position. Not only as a shooter, but as an off ball mover. He has an knack for making high IQ reads and cuts. Also, he's 6'11", so in matchups like last nights, he can take on opposing centers to give Wemby a breather.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lauri's averaged 24/8.5 the past two seasons shooting 39% from three while shooting 49% overall. He's not too far off prime Dirk these past two years.

His Win Share Per 48 the past two seasons is equal to career average Kobe Bryant.
    It's a testament to how overrated Kobe Bryant is, and funny how you woud pick ws/48 for a prime compared to somebody's career average, then neglect it with another player, but only raw stats with that player.

I mean, Dirk, in his prime, averaged 26/9 on about 49/40 shooting splits, in a league with a much slower pace, and ws of .275 vs. Markkanen's .172 or so. Dirk's per 100 possession was 38/13 while Lauri was 35/12.

Don't get me wrong, but Lauri's no where close to prime Dirk overall, even though I would love to have him on the Spurs, just not at that price.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree the Hawks can have all their firsts back plus Keldon while taking on some dead weight in Zollins. They can also have the Hornets fake first back to to save face.
    I would think the Spurs would have to include either the Craptors or Bulls 1st (with the slight compromise of the Spurs including Collins and receiving Capela; a better fit who'll be on an expiring) so that the Hawks can at least sell that they got clearly more for Young than they gave up for Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just a weird discussion. There are plenty of reasons to not try to go after Lauri (his contract situation, the cost it will take to acquire him) that don't require pretending he isn't a really good player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just a weird discussion. There are plenty of reasons to not try to go after Lauri (his contract situation, the cost it will take to acquire him) that don't require pretending he isn't a really good player.
    Yeah Lauri is a stud and the perfect twin tower compliment to Wemby. If you don't like the price tag or are afraid he'll be a rental that's a whole different story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, if we had a shot at him without selling the farm, we'd be stupid not to take it.

There are roughly 27-28 teams that would kill to have Lauri on their team ATM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if we could get both DJ and Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    something tells me they wouldnt fit well together

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would we want to? Their incompatibility on the court is the single biggest thing that's making the hawks a bad team...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    something tells me they wouldnt fit well together
    that is fair. It is just that neither one of them are worth all 3 of their picks back alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that is fair. It is just that neither one of them are worth all 3 of their picks back alone.
    would have to be a bigger deal where they get sent to different places, but i cant see the hawks doing that from a PR perspective

i think young is worth all their picks back tbh. in the same way that we say the picks have unique value to atlanta, its a bit of a double edged sword. those picks arent as valuable for SA if the hawks have both murray and young. even if theyre not great together, they provide atlanta with a safe floor to the point where those picks arent going to be very high lotto picks. but if trae/dejounte leave, then those picks become very valuable to SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would have to be a bigger deal where they get sent to different places, but i cant see the hawks doing that from a PR perspective

i think young is worth all their picks back tbh. in the same way that we say the picks have unique value to atlanta, its a bit of a double edged sword. those picks arent as valuable for SA if the hawks have both murray and young. even if theyre not great together, they provide atlanta with a safe floor to the point where those picks arent going to be very high lotto picks. but if trae/dejounte leave, then those picks become very valuable to SA
    All stars are not worth 3 high lottery picks IMO. DJ traded for picks that were expected much higher and in fact are still worth less in their current form.

People act like this is Durant and 5 picks territory but guys like Irving or Vucevic go for 1 or 2 picks and none of those picks are as good as having 3 of their own picks back in this reality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All stars are not worth 3 high lottery picks IMO. DJ traded for picks that were expected much higher and in fact are still worth less in their current form.

People act like this is Durant and 5 picks territory but guys like Irving or Vucevic go for 1 or 2 picks and none of those picks are as good as having 3 of their own picks back in this reality.
    its not durant 5 picks territory. its 2 picks + 1 swap. id throw in the charlotte pick as well since that one at this point seems more likely to just wind up as SRPs anyway. if they agree to take on collins as well it would make me more amenable to lumping the bulls pick instead of the charlotte pick, but im not even sure id want to go that far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its not durant 5 picks territory. its 2 picks + 1 swap. id throw in the charlotte pick as well since that one at this point seems more likely to just wind up as SRPs anyway. if they agree to take on collins as well it would make me more amenable to lumping the bulls pick instead of the charlotte pick, but im not even sure id want to go that far
    the swap is for a likely lottery pick. I definitely never want you negotiating for me.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not moving Devin + picks unless the package is for a tier 1 star, and i don’t see the spurs doing that

young is not among them. Nor Lauri
    ^ this. If I'm ATL, I'm asking Devin plus picks for Trae and not budging from that. And the Spurs will walk away as they should. I've even thought of REALLY aggressive pick packages for Trae (4 first and a swap or two), but I just don't see the Hawks going for it and trading the face of their franchise and the most loved Hawk since Nique, for some picks and Keldon. Trae puts butts in seats and their owner values that more than anything else. So unless Trae asks out (which he might, the media will surely be beating that drum incessantly), I don't see him being traded.

I've also come to learn that their Sacto pick this year is a coin flip to convey. The Lakers/Warriors might knock out the Kings in the play in and push this pick to '25. If it does, the Hawks just aren't that hard up for picks. They've got #10 this year, '25 might be #13-15, the '26 swap might be a big meh, and they're just missing a '27 which they'll probably recoup in other ways (Dejounte trade or something). So it wont be picks they're after, but rather a big name to trade for for Trae, and it ain't coming from the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the swap is for a likely lottery pick. I definitely never want you negotiating for me.
    its a likely lottery pick if Young is off the Hawks. if we just decline to make a trade and young stays with the hawks, its not very likely that their picks are anything exceptional

the hawks havent missed the playoff since young began his 3rd nba season. they may miss it this year, to be fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its a likely lottery pick if Young is off the Hawks. if we just decline to make a trade and young stays with the hawks, its not very likely that their picks are anything exceptional

the hawks havent missed the playoff since young began his 3rd nba season. they may miss it this year, to be fair
    The Hawks have been trending down in team performance ever since they made the ECF to the treadmill level they now enjoy. That is the risk the Hawks are running. We are assuming they continue to tread but if they continue this trend and they do not have lottery picks PR is going to be the least of their worries.

The Hawks have a lot more reason to want this trade and the Spurs not so much. The Spurs picture on the other side of the opportunity cost situ is straight rosy compared to the Hawks.

Thread Information