Page 467 of 1632 FirstFirst ... 3674174574634644654664674684694704714775175679671467 ... LastLast
Results 11,651 to 11,675 of 40795
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Executive summary: waves of re-infections peter out in 2022

Projecting the transmission dynamics of SARS-CoV-2 through the postpandemic period

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/04/14/science.abb5793

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why We Don’t Know the True Death Rate for Covid-19

Determining what percentage of those infected by the coronavirus will die is a key question for epidemiologists, but an elusive one during the pandemic.

epidemiologists ... expect resurgent waves of infection that could last into 2022.

the projection circulated by infectious disease experts of how many infected people would die seemed plenty dire:

around 1 percent, or 10 times the rate of a typical flu.

the death rate by dividing total deaths by the number of known cases, about 6.4 percent of people infected with the virus have now died worldwide.

In Italy, the death rate stands at about 13 percent, and

in the United States, around 4.3 percent,

Even in South Korea, where widespread testing helped contain the outbreak, 2 percent of people who tested positive for the virus have died, recent data shows.

These supposed death rates also appear to vary widely by geography:

Germany’s fatality rate appears to be roughly one-tenth of Italy’s, and Los Angeles’s about half of New York’s.

Among U.S. states,

Michigan, at around 7 percent, is at the high end, while

Wyoming, which reported its first two deaths this week, has one of the lowest death rates, at about 0.7 percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/u...eath-rate.html

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    How do you figure that? Globalization is basically loosely regulated free-trade in action, and all that's resulted in is the problems many skeptics of globalism on both the left and right complain about: Middle-class erosion and the destruction of the domestic manufacturing base. Since labor expense contributes the most to overhead, business owners are constantly looking for ways to minimize that cost, and they finally found it 40 some years ago through outsourcing to countries that have limited-to-zero labor laws.

How so? If they're legal and introduced into the system, they have to take a minimum wage by law and therefore can't undercut others by agreeing to depressed under-the-table wages. If your argument here is that immigrants are willing to work for less, then doesn't that illustrate a problem with how irresponsible the average American is with his money? If Pablo can make minimum/median wage work for his family of 4, why can't the American? Maybe because Pablo doesn't need the new iPhone every 6 months, buys used goods on the classifieds, fixes and repairs things, isn't subscribed to 600 streaming services. I can go on. And yes, I have direct experience to an extent here. I sell a lot of used on offer up and the like. Go to a lot of thrift stores. Latino immigrants are 98% of the consumer base here.

"Virginia." Dude, I'm in the Latino immigrant capital of the world. I've witnessed and lived through the "invasion" for 30 years. Guess what? Crime in California is the lowest it's been in decades. https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...2015-07-10.png, http://www.ronunz.org/2010/01/26/the...ispanic-crime/

Many of those starting new small businesses are Latino immigrants. I've seen my own neighborhood slowly transition to more immigrants, and they all take care of their yards, are well behaved, family oriented, and generally great people. Yes, I do have a few issues with the few who seem to value their home country over their adopted country with the waving of their flags or a stubbornness to learn English, but they really are the minority despite what the Fox News tells you. This is probably why Fox News focuses on the homeless ting in the streets on San Francisco or Los Angeles and then weakly tries to tie that to "sanctuary cities." Fun fact is most of the homeless are actually white people who travelled here from Trump land because the weather is great all year around. Blacks also make up a big percentage. https://imgur.com/a/0ZmQ7fv

I can't remember the last time I saw a Latino homeless person in my area, but I do know they exist. Just not as common.

See, this is why your side gets the "racism" tag, because the backlash against immigration isn't based on any kind of fact and just cherry-picked examples (like Virginia) or some guy flying the Mexican flag on the 4th of July or whatever. I'm not saying you're racist, but if the facts illustrate that immigration isn't some net-negative proposition, then what is the argument against it aside from appealing to some ethnonationalism horse ? They get government aid? If they're low-wage workers who pay taxes (and they do), they're en led to government aid like many working poor Americans. So I ask again, what's the problem?
    Sorry brah, but Pablo is not the gold standard for living in America. If keeping your kids in some bed-bug ridden Section 8 apartment, hearing Jamal and Shaniqua constantly chimping out nextdoor through those cheap paper-thin walls, hearing the "Stanky Leg" being blared through your neighbor's subwoofer next door, while married to some meth-head whose teeth are falling out because you have no other dating options sounds good to some people, I won't stop them. But not an ideal situation for most of us imo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug MISgovernance

Texas Officials Were Warned Six Years Ago to Prepare for a Pandemic. They Didn’t.

And they’ve been dangerously slow to respond to the coronavirus.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/te...demic-warning/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More conservative MISgovernance

UK was too slow on coronavirus and 40,000 could die

Prime Minister Boris Johnson initially refrained from approving the stringent controls

that other European leaders imposed but then closed down the country when projections showed a quarter of a million people could die in the United Kingdom.

So far, more than 14,576 people with COVID-19 have died in British hospitals,

though new official data indicates the true death toll could be much larger.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-outbreak/uk-was-too-slow-on-coronavirus-and-40000-could-die-professor-says-idUSKBN21Z17O?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&utm _source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fe ed%3A+reuters%2FhealthNews+%28Reuters+Health+News% 29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts criticize Trump’s new White House Press Secretary for latest claim

Kayleigh McEnany, who Trump imported from his re-election campaign, struck out on Twitter Thursday with what many are declaring are complete and total lies about the President’s horrific coronavirus testing record.

(Speaking of records, McEnany’s is that of
    a racist, a birther, and a hypocrite.)

What matters is per-capita testing – how many tests per million people. And the U.S., thanks to Trump, is doing extremely poorly – and trending worse. Which means more people are dying than would have if Trump had gotten testing right.

============

Kayleigh McEnany

✔@PressSec

Under President @realDonaldTrump’s leadership we have quickly developed the most expansive and accurate testing system in the world.

10:53 AM - Apr 16, 2020

Kayleigh McEnany
    ✔@PressSec

Under President @realDonaldTrump’s leadership we have quickly developed the most expansive and accurate testing system in the world.

Kayleigh McEnany
    ✔@PressSec

Replying to @PressSec

President Trump has cut red tape to get new tests to the market in record time, with 48 separate coronavirus tests already authorized so far.

Kayleigh McEnany
    As a result, the United States has now conducted more than 3.3 million tests, FAR MORE than any other country in the world.

<lots of tweets trashing the lying, racist bimbeaux>

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/04/every-word-a-lie-experts-destroy-trumps-new-white-house-press-secretary-for-latest-fibbing-floip/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaig n=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice the death rate is 2.7% while the states with the strictest measures have 4-5.5% The fastest we return to normal the quicker the virus will fulfil its destiny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug MISgovernance

Texas Officials Were Warned Six Years Ago to Prepare for a Pandemic. They Didn’t.

And they’ve been dangerously slow to respond to the coronavirus.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/te...demic-warning/

Oh oh trump was not in office 6 years ago

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump was warned three years ago about a potential pandemic and two years ago about the Wuhan lab in particular.

Uh oh!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump just had another meltdown on twitter, blaming China, the WHO, Democrats, governors and states for his failures.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump just had another meltdown on twitter, blaming China, the WHO, Democrats, governors and states for his failures.
    Donald Trump is such a pussy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/sp-5...ronavirus.html

Dow futures rip 800 points higher amid report Gilead drug showing effectiveness treating coronavirus

U.S. stock futures surged on Thursday night after a report said a Gilead Sciences drug was showing effectiveness in treating the coronavirus. The move pointed to a jump for the stock market on Friday.

Dow Jones Industrial Average futures were up 800 points, or about 3.4%. S&P 500 futures gained 3.2% while Nasdaq 100 futures were up by 2.1%.

Gilead shares jumped by 14% in after-hours trading after STAT news reported that a Chicago hospital treating coronavirus patients with Remdesivir in a trial were recovering rapidly from severe symptoms. The publication cited a video it obtained where the trial results were discussed.

let us pray, sons
    yup looks like all this talk about this drug was all talk. and mostly by doctors paid by Gilead

Dr Facci wins again “there will be no wonder drug for this”

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    yup looks like all this talk about this drug was all talk. and mostly by doctors paid by Gilead

Dr Facci wins again “there will be no wonder drug for this”
    Driving up the stock value, but I only paid $44 a share

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BUT let’s worry about Biden more though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice the death rate is 2.7% while the states with the strictest measures have 4-5.5% The fastest we return to normal the quicker the virus will fulfil its destiny.
    "sticter measures" are meant to prevent the spread and total number of infections. its not going to magically make the virus weaker or less deadly for each person who catches it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trump is not a texas official

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A 10 minute onslaught on the orange man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your posting frequency in this thread has tracked down perfectly in line with modeled death projections
    Sorry man, I actually have work to do. We're at 30k deaths with severe under counting and we're only halfway through the months. The rate of climb has slowed thankfully, but its still a rate of increase. Its not flat, and its certainly not declining. Fauchi's estimate of 100k is sadly looking low. But you somehow think you're right here. You're celebrating the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans. Sad.

Honestly I started coming back to the thread more when it became more of the same bull that is pretty much every thread on this forum. Just a back and forth about bull that is just obnoxious. When there was actual discussion about the situation and an avoidance of the bull , I actually enjoyed this thread. When it started to become the same old nonsense, then meh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/Farzad_MD/status...98637301997568

Not sure if y'all have talked about it but Standford did some random testing for antibodies. The cases are way under diagnosed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiply that denominator by at least 50.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, but you have to also realize that numerator is also under counted. It goes both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could we all agree to wait at least until a paper is peer reviewed before declaring it gospel? This has gotten way out of hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, but you have to also realize that numerator is also under counted. It goes both ways.
    Not 50x tho

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry man, I actually have work to do. We're at 30k deaths with severe under counting and we're only halfway through the months. The rate of climb has slowed thankfully, but its still a rate of increase. Its not flat, and its certainly not declining. Fauchi's estimate of 100k is sadly looking low. But you somehow think you're right here. You're celebrating the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans. Sad.

Honestly I started coming back to the thread more when it became more of the same bull that is pretty much every thread on this forum. Just a back and forth about bull that is just obnoxious. When there was actual discussion about the situation and an avoidance of the bull , I actually enjoyed this thread. When it started to become the same old nonsense, then meh.
    That tracked down inline with the modeled death projections as well.

Therefore, you are sad that more people haven't died. Sad.

When in Rome I say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That tracked down inline with the modeled death projections as well.

Therefore, you are sad that more people haven't died. Sad.

When in Rome I say.
    Amazing straw man.

Thread Information