Page 48 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1703
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot believe you guys are mentioning Dejounte and Trae in the same breath

DJM is only marginally better than the trae we already have - and is as horrible as vassell at passing/lobs

Trae Young is a master at controlling the offense and the nightmare of a pick-your-poison trae 3 or a wemby dunk is why you get a trae young

DJM?

id take my chances with the draft instead of a guy who already had a bad bad foot injury and as he ages - will be a strong candidate for another foot injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cannot believe you guys are mentioning Dejounte and Trae in the same breath

DJM is only marginally better than the trae we already have - and is as horrible as vassell at passing/lobs

Trae Young is a master at controlling the offense and the nightmare of a pick-your-poison trae 3 or a wemby dunk is why you get a trae young

DJM?

id take my chances with the draft instead of a guy who already had a bad bad foot injury and as he ages - will be a strong candidate for another foot injury.
    Good take

I 100% agree. Watching Harden run the PnR with Vecevic on the Clips makes me only dream about what Trae could do with Wemby. Both Harden and Trae are masterful with the pick and roll and tossing lobs to the big man.

That Trae / Wemby combo would be lethal. I think the Spurs will need to make an investment in someone like Trae to let Wemby know the organization is serious about winning and isn’t going to let him burn the first four years of his career on a slow rebuild that might or might not produce a contender. I can’t imagine the Spurs will cultivate a home grown talent who can provide what Young is capable of.

And DJM is certainly not in the same class. I think the Hawks lack of improvement since acquiring him demonstrates that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good take

I 100% agree. Watching Harden run the PnR with Vecevic on the Clips makes me only dream about what Trae could do with Wemby. Both Harden and Trae are masterful with the pick and roll and tossing lobs to the big man.

That Trae / Wemby combo would be lethal. I think the Spurs will need to make an investment in someone like Trae to let Wemby know the organization is serious about winning and isn’t going to let him burn the first four years of his career on a slow rebuild that might or might not produce a contender. I can’t imagine the Spurs will cultivate a home grown talent who can provide what Young is capable of.

And DJM is certainly not in the same class. I think the Hawks lack of improvement since acquiring him demonstrates that.
    Thinking a little deeper, if the Spurs did acquire Trae, but managed to leave all of their picks from this year in tact and not dip into their own natural picks, they'll still have a healthy pipeline of youth coming. We'd still need to make a couple of ancillary moves to shore up SF and the bench... I'm just not sure what those would be. I really liked the idea of Hayward as a 1-2 year stopgap, and he was doing well in CHA, but since being traded to OKC he's kind of just gone into a black hole. I wonder if the injury he suffered this season took a bit toll on him, or if he is just struggling to find a spot in the rotation in OKC.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking a little deeper, if the Spurs did acquire Trae, but managed to leave all of their picks from this year in tact and not dip into their own natural picks, they'll still have a healthy pipeline of youth coming. We'd still need to make a couple of ancillary moves to shore up SF and the bench... I'm just not sure what those would be. I really liked the idea of Hayward as a 1-2 year stopgap, and he was doing well in CHA, but since being traded to OKC he's kind of just gone into a black hole. I wonder if the injury he suffered this season took a bit toll on him, or if he is just struggling to find a spot in the rotation in OKC.
    Trading for Trae would basically be trading DJ+Keldon for Trae. Maybe Chicago pick, but that's it.

If we do get him, the path to success is obvious. Get as many 3-D wings as possible.

Naz Reid being the first priority.

If we assume that Wemby, Devin, Jeremy and Tre are guaranteed to be in the rotation next season, we need just 6 more regular rotation players.
    Barlow/Bassey would suffice as Wemby's backups for the next season because Naz can also play C against backups if needed.
    Then obviously Trae, leaving us with 4 more players.

4 perimeter SG-SF players, more or less.
    One more legit player, ideally Herb Jones if he's available due to NOLA having a logjam at SF.
    One of those probably being our top5 2024 pick.

Then have Julian, Sidy, Malaki, Toronto pick (if we get it) fight it out for the final spot.
    Sign a vet if needed.

I think this path is a no-brainer if we get Trae.
    If we don't, I got no clue what's going to happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it comes down to style of play tbh.

If you get Dejounte you have a size advantage. You can play passing lanes and get a lot more deflections and steals, he'd also help with the rebounding. On offense you run what we run now, inverted pick & rolls and DHO's. The offense would have to run mainly through Wemby though, cause DJ is not the type to get into the lane and kick the ball out. He'll get to his midrange and play off of Wemby most of the time and he's also a good catch and shoot player. You won't get a lot of alley oops for Wemby or open looks for Vassell though. Asset wise you'll have more draft picks and cap space while singing a 27-year old which gives you a 5-year window with him.

If you get Trae the offense would be a whole nother animal. You'll automatically give Wemby more space to operate cause you have a guy who can pull up from the logo and bend the defense. He's also an incredible lob passer, who'd give Wemby a lot of easy dunks. He can get in the lane and create a lot of catch and shoot opportunities and would make it significantly harder for teams to double team Wemby, which is what most teams are starting to do now. Remember Trae Young is a walking top 8 offense. We'd also create a lot more free throw attempts. One of Wemby or Trae would always be on the floor, meaning we'd have a top offense for 48 minutes. Only down side might be that he needs the ball in his hands and doesn't do much off the ball.

Defensively you'd have to hide him, although that seems quite possible with Wemby guarding the paint. He's also 11th in steals and one of the best at drawing charges. You can not play any bad defenders alongside him, so you need a whole lot of 3-and-D. Asset wise you'd have to spend more, but would still have plenty of picks left. He costs more, but is only 25 which means you can have him around long term. You're basically creating maybe the best 1-2 punch in the NBA.

Naz Reid and Herb Jones are at the top of my list as well. We basically just need our picks and about 3 players to take this team to the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you get Dejounte you have a size advantage. You can play passing lanes and get a lot more deflections and steals, he'd also help with the rebounding. On offense you run what we run now, inverted pick & rolls and DHO's. The offense would have to run mainly through Wemby though, cause DJ is not the type to get into the lane and kick the ball out. He'll get to his midrange and play off of Wemby most of the time and he's also a good catch and shoot player. You won't get a lot of alley oops for Wemby or open looks for Vassell though. Asset wise you'll have more draft picks and cap space while singing a 27-year old which gives you a 5-year window with him.

If you get Trae the offense would be a whole nother animal. You'll automatically give Wemby more space to operate cause you have a guy who can pull up from the logo and bend the defense. He's also an incredible lob passer, who'd give Wemby a lot of easy dunks. He can get in the lane and create a lot of catch and shoot opportunities and would make it significantly harder for teams to double team Wemby, which is what most teams are starting to do now. Remember Trae Young is a walking top 8 offense. We'd also create a lot more free throw attempts. One of Wemby or Trae would always be on the floor, meaning we'd have a top offense for 48 minutes. Only down side might be that he needs the ball in his hands and doesn't do much off the ball.

Defensively you'd have to hide him, although that seems quite possible with Wemby guarding the paint. He's also 11th in steals and one of the best at drawing charges. You can not play any bad defenders alongside him, so you need a whole lot of 3-and-D. Asset wise you'd have to spend more, but would still have plenty of picks left. He costs more, but is only 25 which means you can have him around long term. You're basically creating maybe the best 1-2 punch in the NBA.

Naz Reid and Herb Jones are at the top of my list as well. We basically just need our picks and about 3 players to take this team to the playoffs.
    How is it possible to hide Trae with Wemby guarding the paint when we’re having trouble hiding all our bad defenders right now with Wemby guarding the paint? I don’t see Malaki or Keldon getting hidden one bit. Bad defenders get exposed badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it possible to hide Trae with Wemby guarding the paint when we’re having trouble hiding all our bad defenders right now with Wemby guarding the paint? I don’t see Malaki or Keldon getting hidden one bit. Bad defenders get exposed badly.
    last time I checked we were a top 5 or top 8 defense with Wemby on the floor. Our defense is just the worst in the NBA by almost 3 points when he goes to the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The main thing to fix the defense is a legit rim protecting back up center. No more Zach Collins. That's the main defensive issue of this team. You would replace Tre Jones with Trae Young and then it's replacing Champagnie with a great defender like a Herb Jones. If you swap out Tre Jones and Champagnie with Tre Young and Herb Jones I highly doubt the defense gets worse.

Teams can always get away with one bad defender on the floor. You just can't hide more than that. It's pretty logical that we are getting abused defensively when Zach Collins, Keldon Johnson and Malaki Branham play all at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re Murray vs Young its also a big salary difference. next year murray will be on year 1 of a 4/114 extension (+ trade kicker), while Trae will be in year 3 of 5 on a contract paying him over 40/year (+ trade kicker), and he has an ETO meaning you may only have him at that rate for 2 seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re Murray vs Young its also a big salary difference. next year murray will be on year 1 of a 4/114 extension (+ trade kicker), while Trae will be in year 3 of 5 on a contract paying him over 40/year (+ trade kicker), and he has an ETO meaning you may only have him at that rate for 2 seasons
    Just one note on trade kickers - they aren't something we have to worry about. The Trade Kicker gets paid by the team trading the player away. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q99

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just one note on trade kickers - they aren't something we have to worry about. The Trade Kicker gets paid by the team trading the player away. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q99
    ah, ya learn something new #hivemind

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real world dollars are paid by the trading team, but the increased cap figure for caproom and tax calculations is felt by the receiving team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real world dollars are paid by the trading team, but the increased cap figure for caproom and tax calculations is felt by the receiving team.
    Good catch, but there is also that I believe Trae's contract is already at his maximum based on year's of service, and a trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the max. I don't know enough about the CBA to say definitively, but it would appear that Trae's trade kicker is moot?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also re: defense

Tre Jones is not regarded as a bad defender because the all around defense gives plenty of attack avenues in a regular season scenario where teams mostly concentrate on what they do themselves ...

But the few times teams have decided to hunt Tre they wrecked his ass as far as I can remember. So I don't think it would be that significant a drop off from Tre to Trae in playoffs defense

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good catch, but there is also that I believe Trae's contract is already at his maximum based on year's of service, and a trade bonus cannot cause a player's salary to exceed the max. I don't know enough about the CBA to say definitively, but it would appear that Trae's trade kicker is moot?
    Correct, it wouldn't matter what Trae but it would with Dejounte. Usually the lower salary is a big pro on the Dejounte side, but unless he waives the trade kicker, it's less savings than people might imagine over Young

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Your building around Trae Young basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your building around Trae Young basically.
    Wrong guy to build around. There’s this 7’4” kid I hear is pretty good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also re: defense

Tre Jones is not regarded as a bad defender because the all around defense gives plenty of attack avenues in a regular season scenario where teams mostly concentrate on what they do themselves ...

But the few times teams have decided to hunt Tre they wrecked his ass as far as I can remember. So I don't think it would be that significant a drop off from Tre to Trae in playoffs defense
    Trae is never on the POA. There is a difference on being wrecked and unplayable. Trae is unplayable on ball. He is 165 lbs the weakest player in the league. Tre has 20lbs on him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I hear, Spurs won’t touch Trae for his cost.

Expect them to try to bring in 1 or two floor raising/complimentary vets without compromising their highly valued draft capital.

FWIW Fischer also mentioned how other NBA officials thought the Spurs would target CP3 and Van Vleet this past summer. Spurs didn’t even flinch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems we're hearing too much about this for it to happen. Like some say, once you've heard about a deal, it's already happened or it's already dead. That being said, I'd love him on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I hear, Spurs won’t touch Trae for his cost.

Expect them to try to bring in 1 or two floor raising/complimentary vets without compromising their highly valued draft capital.

FWIW Fischer also mentioned how other NBA officials thought the Spurs would target CP3 and Van Vleet this past summer. Spurs didn’t even flinch.
    I think their is plan A and their max cost, and that's trading for Young. Both teams had no need to do the trade last deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good take

Vecevic?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zubac I guess

All those ex Yougo looks the same to him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ I don't want Trae at all, but this is in the (high-end) ballpark of what it could take to get him.

- It's basically giving ATL all their picks back + a SAS 24 pick in a ty draft.
    - The Spurs (marginally) upgrade the CHA pick with a SAC pick
    - They send out Sidy.

Basically its Atlanta opening bid.

Thread Information