Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Dejounte, White & THE IV Truth4sale$'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see the Spurs trade with the Phoenix, they have an abundance of small forwards with TJWarren, ,Kelly Oubre,(Resteicted) Josh Jackson, Mikal Bridges, and Troy Daniels.
    Spurs don't have much to offer but Suns need veterans, and PG and Power forward. Best offer would be Davis Bertans and Patty Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can pay Gay up to 17.5 mil per.

I hope its a 1+1 deal at worst.

2 years guaranteed would be eeeeh.

3 years guaranteed would be a gross.

I can definitely see Warriors, Rockets, Thunder all offering the MLE.
    All three teams should would only have the tax payer MLE of around $5.5 million. That's not a lot. Spurs can easily double that on a one year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps our biggest addition this summer will be DDR’s 3 point shot?
    Highly doubt it. Don't buy DeRozan becoming an even decent shooter from 3 next season. He may take more but he'll likely be a below average shooter and either stop taking him like he did this season.

Aldridge needs to take more corner 3's and above the break 3's, he is more likely to hit that at an efficient clip but at a low volume. A healthy Murray in addition to an improved White is probably the biggest additions tbh Spurs may be able to be a top half defense as opposed to a bottom 3rd defense. That alone is probably worth five wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DD devloping his 3? ...We've been waiting for LMA to develop a three point shot for 3 years now, and that hasn't happened. Keep dreaming, people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y2qf5klg
    Add 3 first round picks, do it Mitch!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crater face said bringing Gay back is the team's first priority.

Expect another off season of the same. 30 year Olds seeking one last pay check here in San Antonio and PATFO willingly handing them out.
    Can you read, you oozing pus-filled gibbon?

If PATFO doesnt resign him, it severely limits our options by way of this years draft picks AND the MLE and BAE.

It is a must, not to mention that Rudy actually had the best efficiency numbers of his career. He was a positive player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would love to see the Spurs trade with the Phoenix, they have an abundance of small forwards with TJWarren, ,Kelly Oubre,(Resteicted) Josh Jackson, Mikal Bridges, and Troy Daniels.
    Spurs don't have much to offer but Suns need veterans, and PG and Power forward. Best offer would be Davis Bertans and Patty Mills.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Bertans moved at all of all the players on the team given he was in Pop's doghouse pretty much the entirety of the Denver series. I mean he didn't even play at all almost the entire series, so it clearly wasn't a matchup thing where he couldn't be used against some lineups. He was just plain exiled to the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can pay Gay up to 17.5 mil per.

I hope its a 1+1 deal at worst.

2 years guaranteed would be eeeeh.

3 years guaranteed would be a gross.

I can definitely see Warriors, Rockets, Thunder all offering the MLE.
    I'd be shocked if it's not 2 guaranteed years. He just effectively came off multiple one year deals (the p/o was basically insurance in case he suffered another significant injury). I'd imagine he'll prioritize a semblance of security. Two plus a partial guarantee is probably the max.

I haven't looked into it, but if cd021 is right about those 3 teams only having the taxpayer MLE, then that should clinch his re-signing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Bertans moved at all of all the players on the team given he was in Pop's doghouse pretty much the entirety of the Denver series. I mean he didn't even play at all almost the entire series, so it clearly wasn't a matchup thing where he couldn't be used against some lineups. He was just plain exiled to the bench.
    Yeah I do not think Pop ever figured out to use him properly if I was Bertans agent I would be asking nicely to be traded. I think he could be a good player if put on right team where he will have more freedom and not so short of leash - Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be shocked if it's not 2 guaranteed years. He just effectively came off multiple one year deals (the p/o was basically insurance in case he suffered another significant injury). I'd imagine he'll prioritize a semblance of security. Two plus a partial guarantee is probably the max.

I haven't looked into it, but if cd021 is right about those 3 teams only having the taxpayer MLE, then that should clinch his re-signing.

Houston has 7 players making a combined $122 million. The Salary cap is about $108 million and the luxury tax should be about $130 million. With Roster charges they'll be around $127 million they won't be able to use the full MLE.

OKC has about $145 million committed to 10 players

Golden State will have $120 million committed to 7 players If KD leaves, Klay qualifies for an super max and they cut Livingston. $128 million if they keep Livingston and $166 million if KD re-signs. This does not include Cousins.

All three won't have the full MLE, in fact, only Houston may end up using the tax payer MLE given how big Golden State's and OKCs payroll will/could be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston has 7 players making a combined $122 million. The Salary cap is about $108 million and the luxury tax should be about $130 million. With Roster charges they'll be around $127 million they won't be able to use the full MLE.

OKC has about $145 million committed to 10 players

Golden State will have $120 million committed to 7 players If KD leaves, Klay qualifies for an super max and they cut Livingston. $128 million if they keep Livingston and $166 million if KD re-signs. This does not include Cousins.

All three won't have the full MLE, in fact, only Houston may end up using the tax payer MLE given how big Golden State's and OKCs payroll will/could be.
    DK is rubbing his hands at that penalty tax revenue sharing scheme for staying below the cap.... seriously if ur team aint contending , why are you overspending? shouldnt u operate under the cap and just sit and collect that penalty tax

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the surface, the San Antonio Spurs appear to be a team in the midst of a chaotic transition period less than a year after their franchise player abruptly demanded a trade. But digging deeper, it becomes clear that the franchise is destined for a remarkably unremarkable offseason. Wholesale changes are unlikely to be made until next summer, at the earliest.

While it's true that the coaching staff would undoubtedly prefer to bring back a mostly intact roster in order to foster the much-ballyhooed corporate knowledge that was lost in last offseason's upheaval, the leading reason why this summer promises to be a quiet one can be found in the dollars and cents.

The Spurs will be busy in the 2019 NBA Draft, with two first round picks (picks 19 and 29) and a second rounder (49th overall), but free agency could very well be limited to one significant addition. In fact, with how the salaries add up, San Antonio is actually incentivized to keep the team together.

The Spurs have 11 returning players under contract, plus they're still on the hook for approximately $5.1 million of Pau Gasol's contract after buying him out back in March. All told, San Antonio has a total of approximately $99 million in salaries heading into next season. The salary cap for the 2019-20 season is set to be $109 million.

The team's only free agent of note is Rudy Gay, who is coming off of a one-year, $10 million deal. As always, the Spurs can either re-sign Gay or renounce their rights to him in order to open the most salary cap room possible.

However, here's where things get a bit counterintuitive. In a scenario where the Spurs renounce Gay and don't use their first round picks (either trade the picks away or select draft-and-stash prospects) to save money, the maximum amount of cap space they can open up is a shade under $9 million.

On the other hand, if the Spurs re-sign Gay for a market value amount, they will qualify for the mid-level exception of a little bit more than $9 million. Not only is the MLE worth more than the cap space they can open up, they'd be free to proceed in the draft without concern for the salary cap implications.

Thus, the math ends up being simple: it's better to re-sign Gay and have more money to work with in free agency than to lose Gay, lose draft flexibility and end up with less money for free agents.

What makes the decision even easier is the fact that bringing back Gay is likely a beneficial move.

1. The 32-year-old is coming off perhaps the most efficient season of his career. He set career-highs in two-point percentage, three-point percentage and rebounding rate. His assist rate was up 50% over his first season with the Spurs, while his usage rate dropped to its lowest point since his rookie season.

2. The Spurs were demonstratively better when Gay played well. Including the playoffs, the Spurs were only 16-18 when Gay scored ten points or less. When he scored more than ten points, the Spurs were 35-20. That's the difference between a 34.5-win pace and a 52.2-win pace.

3. Advanced statistics smiled upon Gay. When he was on the court during the regular season, the Spurs outscored opponents by 4.0 points per 100 possessions. When he was on the bench, the Spurs were outscored by 0.5 points per 100 possessions. RPM (real plus-minus) graded Gay as the team's second best player on a per-minute basis and a top ten player at his position in the league, no matter if you classify him as a small forward or a power forward.

4. Considering Gay relies mostly on size and length to score in isolation situations, he should age reasonably well. He'll have to transition more and more to being a full-time power forward but he appears to be capable. It's not a stretch to imagine he could navigate down the Robert Horry-like route: enter the league as a SF and extend his career as a PF.

5. He fits the DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge timeline. It's very unlikely that he'd command an extended contract. Additionally, by all accounts he not only gets along with DeRozan and Aldridge, he serves a mentorship role for the team's up-and-coming players.

Unless a team falls in love with Gay and offers him a lucrative, multi-season contract, it shouldn't be too complicated to bring him back into the fold. Would a team give him three-plus seasons at the MLE? Unlikely. Would a team with salary cap space use it on Gay? Even more unlikely.

Gay made $8.4 million in his first season with the Spurs. This year, he made $10.1 million in his second season. When free agency begins, the Spurs can offer him a one-year, $12.1 million contract. If that doesn't get it done, the Spurs can partially guarantee a second season to match outside offers.

Preferably, the Spurs are able to get Gay back on a one-year deal to maximize their potential salary cap space next summer. However, a two-year contract is palatable, as it corresponds with what is likely to be the DeRozan and Aldridge window.

Going longer than two years on a Gay contract would be unwise. That said, if it comes down to it, the Spurs can use their Early Bird rights to sign Gay to a fully guaranteed two-year contract worth more than $36 million. That should be more than enough to match any offer he gets on the open market.

After the draft and with the inevitable re-signing of Gay, the Spurs could turn their attention to how to best use the MLE. While they are allowed to split the $9-plus million MLE, with how the roster is constructed, it'd likely be best to consolidate their spending and use it on a single player.

Sure, the roster isn't exactly brimming with talent, but it does -- due specifically to the return of Dejounte Murray and the hopeful ascension of Lonnie Walker IV -- have most of the available minutes already accounted for going into next season.

Even with those lowball estimates for each player's minutes per game, there are only 16 more minutes available for a tenth man. Considering it's unlikely that any of those nine players will be dropped completely from the rotation barring a notable addition, there's already a minutes crunch -- and that's not even factoring in Walker, Marco Belinelli, Chimezie Metu or any of the three draft picks.

Viewing the roster by position paints a similar picture.

Point guard and shooting guard are already stuffed to the gills. If another player is added at either one of those positions, it'd probably do more harm than good as a deserving youngster (namely Derrick White, Murray or Walker) would see a minute reduction.

It's now clear that DeRozan is a full-time small forward; during the playoffs, that was basically the only position he played. Considering his rebounding prowess and his deceptively poor lateral quickness on defense, SF makes the most sense for him going forward -- and he's going to eat a lot of those minutes as long as he's around.

Adding a bigman would come with the consequence of negatively impacting minutes for either Davis Bertans, Jakob Poeltl or Gay.

How should the Spurs spend the mid-level exception? The most obvious answer is to use the MLE on a defensive, rangy wing to fortify the backup small forward and power forward spots. San Antonio doesn't have a defensive small forward on their roster, nor do they have an athletic power forward who can both move out on the perimeter defensively and hold their own in the lane. But note, adding such a player for the MLE likely bumps Bertans out of the rotation -- or possibly, but less likely, Poeltl (if the MLE player can also play center) or Gay (if he's a scorer).

The other, less pressing, need is a third string center (unless Metu takes a giant step forward). However, it'd be a questionable decision to invest too much here because, barring injury, it's virtually impossible that the player would be in the rotation during the 2019-20 season. And in today's NBA, third string centers are a dime a dozen.

If the front office is pleased with the current depth of the rotation, the other leading option is to use part of the MLE to bring over 2015 first round draft pick Nikola Milutinov. The 24-year-old center prospect is highly regarded ... but a rotation featuring both him and Poeltl isn't going to happen as long as Aldridge is still around, so this would be a move done with the post-Aldridge future in mind. The rest of the MLE, in this scenario, could be used to bring in a long-term prospect that may help the transition when the DeRozan and Aldridge window closes.

Compared to most Spurs summers, this one appears to be easy to predict, as there just aren't many avenues to travel down that make a whole lot of sense. In forthcoming writeups, I'll investigate various topics including:

-The best fits in the 2019 NBA Draft
    -Specific MLE possibilities
    -More on the pros and cons of opening up cap room this summer
    -Player by player reviews and projections
    -Estimating Milutinov's NBA value
    -How long to extend the DeRozan and Aldridge window
    -The nuclear option to blow up the team next summer
    -Max free agent hunting in 2021
    Stopped reading at Derozan rebounding prowess. That's why we got ed over. We need a legit ing 3 that can rebound ya dumb ers.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And our 3 better be able to ing play defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see us go after Mario Hezonja. I think he will be cheep. give us better Defense then Derozen and is a 3 pt shooter. I dont think he could be had for vet min but something like 4 mil a yr might do it especially if we go quick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry vs Curry

Gasol vs Gasol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My all time team could look like this

Chamberlain at center

Giannis and Durant at forwards

Pippen and Kawhi at guards!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors vs Blazers guys

Who shall win???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors vs Blazers guys

Who shall win???
    I think it depends on Durant. A fully loaded GSW is loaded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asking who will win against GSW and Portland is like asking what will have a better rotten tomatoes score- a MCU or a DCEU release. There isn't really a point in asking

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs sacrifice their 2 picks to unload Mills (I know, unrealistic), Davis and Belli, can they have cap space for Tobias, Butler or Middleton? Any chance one of these guys signs with us? And does it put SA into contender category, I think loosing those 3 isn’t much of a deal, but having to renounce Gay is going to be painful, as the team would be thin on the wings again

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs sacrifice their 2 picks to unload Mills (I know, unrealistic), Davis and Belli, can they have cap space for Tobias, Butler or Middleton? Any chance one of these guys signs with us? And does it put SA into contender category, I think loosing those 3 isn’t much of a deal, but having to renounce Gay is going to be painful, as the team would be thin on the wings again

There's an expression about "robbing Peter to pay Paul". That's where the Spurs are now. Another way of saying it is that if you're ever lost at sea, you can't survive by eating yourself. If you have to kill one position to get someone at another position, you haven't gotten anywhere.

The Spurs killed any chance of getting out of this hole gracefully/quickly by handing out really bad contracts to Mills and Gasol. And while I understand they were forced to move Kawhi, DeRozan's contract is an albatross too. The only way to get out of bad contracts is to dump them, and that means sacrificing young talent or draft picks. Now, everything they do to try to get better in one place makes them worse in some other place. And when they can finally get out from under some of the current big contracts, their young talent will be in line for big pay raises, which will soak up a lot of freed-up cap space.

There's a big element of timing in building a roster, and the Spurs FO messed that part up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's an expression about "robbing Peter to pay Paul". That's where the Spurs are now. Another way of saying it is that if you're ever lost at sea, you can't survive by eating yourself. If you have to kill one position to get someone at another position, you haven't gotten anywhere.

The Spurs killed any chance of getting out of this hole gracefully/quickly by handing out really bad contracts to Mills and Gasol. And while I understand they were forced to move Kawhi, DeRozan's contract is an albatross too. The only way to get out of bad contracts is to dump them, and that means sacrificing young talent or draft picks. Now, everything they do to try to get better in one place makes them worse in some other place. And when they can finally get out from under some of the current big contracts, their young talent will be in line for big pay raises, which will soak up a lot of freed-up cap space.

There's a big element of timing in building a roster, and the Spurs FO messed that part up.
    I cannot agree more, so basically there are 3 scenarios:
    1. Blow it up, trade all you can for future assets, don’t take back any salary beyond 2021, take advantage of low cap holds of Poeltl and Murray and rookie contracts of Lonnie and Derrick, and try to convince 2 stars to sign here to become instant contenders. Draft well, survive a couple years of sucking, find a replacement for Pop and you’re good to go.
    2. Mortgage the future for a potential run for championship in the coming 2 years with LMA, DDR and 3rd star, by clearing the capspace this year. This 3rd star can be traded in 2021, if not on a toxic contract and DDR will be an expiring. Then Pop retires and we start “the process”
    3. Continue this treadmill, our “star” players are not stars enough and need more help and better roster balance, our young guys are not developed enough to compete at WCF level in playoffs, so the team is going nowhere, with a ceiling of 2nd round in a compe ive west.

I’d much rather go 1 or 2, than keep watching Mills chuck the games away night in and night out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or root for the Bucks, period.....

That shall heal our misery

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp says (and I agree with him) that we will start those 4 players:
    Murray
    White
    DDR
    LMA

so the question is the fifth spot.
    I don’t think we can start Poeltl with this group because it has no reliable volume 3pt shooting which Forbes provided for our LMA-Poeltl lineup. White in the playoffs showed a lot of promises but he also showed that he is not ready to be this Forbes-type of spot up shooter.
    so the options are:
    1. Go extra-small and start Forbes with those 4 guys. I actually think this can work if Murray will be the same kind of rebounder he was before the injury. Sure, the Millsaps of the world will bully us and DDR will have to do a fair amount of boxing out in the paint.

2. Resign and start Gay

3. Start Bertans

4. Acquire and start a new guy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Our main difference from other playoffs teams: our best and most versatile guys don’t shoot 3s reliably and often enough; our role and one-dimensional players are all 3pt shooters.

Thread Information