Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't be surprised to see R.C. go after him, if financially possible. He's close with Bill Self iirc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah and I'm not even sure Spurs would add the Mills/White swap. Their best offer might just be Bonner for Robinson.

The issue with Robinson is that he is an expensive project. His 2013-2014 salary is $3.5M and the option for his $3.7M 2014-2015 salary must be picked at the end of next season training camp. Spurs would have to invest $7.2M in him before he even played a regular season game for them. That a lot of money for a player who has had a so-so rookie season.
    Yeah but still in the grand scheme of things I think it's a reasonable gamble.

More reasonable than making Tyreke Evans the second highest paid player on the team...

Besides they have Green at a ridiculously low salary the next two years, they can draft a SG instead of paying Neal (Rice Jr or whoever), Manu will sign for less... We won't spend that much on guards, it's feel like it's the right time to try something like that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoot, I hadn't read this story for awhile, I just read it again. Read the story I posted a couple posts up, seriously. If you didn't want T-Rob on the team before his story, I bet you'll change your mind after and have more of a belief that he was just in horrible situations to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NrgVOjiNUA damn forgot the code to embed video

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trying not to get my hopes up, another case of blue balls in the making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I remember there were rumors of SA moving up to draft him. Anyways I'd love to have him, I can't remember the last time SA had a strong athletic PF like him. He could be a steal coming to a real franchise, being put in the proper position to make plays and defend. He doesn't look like a guy that'd back down either, anyone remember that vicious elbow he threw at Jerebeko's face? He could bring some toughness this team desparetely needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UPDATE: Feigan now saying Spurs had interest but no deal will be struck between Spurs and Rockets.
    San Antonio had been interested in Robinson but the teams are not in talks about a deal. It would be difficult for the Spurs to make any sort of deal for Robinson directly with the Rockets and would likely have to add a third team in a larger deal.
    The Spurs have only their own pick, the 28th pick overall, in Thursday’s first round and would not seem to have a way to make such a trade possible directly with the Rockets.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocket...omas-robinson/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's wrong since Bonner ungaranteed contract does allow us to trade directly with them.

Still hoping against hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's wrong since Bonner ungaranteed contract does allow us to trade directly with them.

Still hoping against hope.
    He's not wrong. Bonner's contract has $1M guaranteed. The Rockets need to clear the entire amount of TR's contract, not all but $1M of it, to get to where they need to be in order to be able to offer Dwight Howard the max that they can offer.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Splitter and Neal don't come back. We give Neal's minutes to Nando, who is bigger, and is a better playmaker. Splitter gets his broke ass out of town, and we sign a quality big man for 13-14 million a year.
    So DeColo is our savior as TP's backup or ball handler off the bench? Definitely not Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not wrong. Bonner's contract has $1M guaranteed. The Rockets need to clear the entire amount of TR's contract, not all but $1M of it, to get to where they need to be in order to be able to offer Dwight Howard the max that they can offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess there are several ways you can go about it. You're right that Spurs don't necessarily need to keep Manu's rights, but it all depends on how much money (or lack thereof) he's willing to take. Once you renounce his rights and start using that cap space, then your only methods for re-signing him are:
    a.) cap space
    b.) "the room exception," which is basically an MLE available to teams who were previously under the cap; I think that value is a max contract of 2 years, $5 million, but I don't know if that changes for this year, or
    c.) he could sign for the minimum

So, if you assume that Ginobili wants more than 2 years/$5 million, then you either have to sign him using Bird rights, or make darn sure you have enough cap space to re-sign if you renounce those rights.
    Just renounce his rights. He won't go to another team cause he know he would be a failure. Let him take whatever money is left or the veteran's minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So DeColo is our savior as TP's backup or ball handler off the bench? Definitely not Manu.
    No one is going that far. But I don't see why he and CoJo can't eat Neal's minutes. There is no sense in having 30 guards on the roster if we don't know what any of them can do, none of them get playing time, then going and overpaying a mediocre PG. (Neal) The point is we may have a solution on our team already. We got through the season with no true backup PG. Manu can still do fine in the regular season, we saw how the playoffs went. If Nando and CoJo don't work out, the Spurs can try and add a veteran for the playoffs. Nando has real playmaking abilities, I love his passing. I will probably get killed for this, but he reminds me a LOT of a young Manu in terms of playing style. Nando has to get way better on D and refine his Offensive game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is going that far. But I don't see why he and CoJo can't eat Neal's minutes. There is no sense in having 30 guards on the roster if we don't know what any of them can do, none of them get playing time, then going and overpaying a mediocre PG. (Neal) The point is we may have a solution on our team already. We got through the season with no true backup PG. Manu can still do fine in the regular season, we saw how the playoffs went. If Nando and CoJo don't work out, the Spurs can try and add a veteran for the playoffs. Nando has real playmaking abilities, I love his passing. I will probably get killed for this, but he reminds me a LOT of a young Manu in terms of playing style. Nando has to get way better on D and refine his Offensive game.
    I don't think that Nando has the same athletic abilities and quickness on defense that Manu had in his prime. I like Corey Joseph's defense but he's just such a liability on offense. The kid is scared to get his own shot. We need a threat off the bench to relieve some pressure off Parker and Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm interested in this too.
    Absolutely no story. Sacramento is the most dysfunctional team in the NBA. They moved him for a more established player in Patrick Patterson. Houston just wants cap space. This is the team who amnestied Scola to free up cap space for a Howard or Bynum deal. His guaranteed money is movable because he was a lotto pick last season and teams are interested in acquiring a top 5 talent without being in the bottom five of the league.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the kid, he plays with heart and he has alot athleticism and he is smart player. He made pretty awesome no look past last year, so you know he has a pretty high BB IQ. The problem is his fundamentals are pretty bad. You can tell he was just used to getting by on his athleticism and that usually doesn't fly in the NBA. This is where a team has to be willing to develop the guy. Kings weren't and that was the problem for the get go. Spurs are known for just that. He needs to learn more post moves as well as work on his jumper and d stance and rotations.

This is something he can Learn under Duncan and the Spurs coaching staff. Bonner and a 2nd for Robinson would be awesome pickup for the Spurs.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe there is 1mill dollar guarantee meaning that is the buyout for Bonner. Houston could pay Bonner 1mil before a preset date, October or something and completely clear him off their books.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A three team trade in this scenario is not that difficult. If Spurs are really high on T-Rob and HOU is willing to do it just to clear cap space, you can see something like:

Team With Cap Space Gets: Bonner + 28th Pick
    Houston Gets: Future Draft pick
    SAS Gets: Thomas Robinson

Cap space team essentially eats Bonner's 1M (could even give them cash to pay that) + plus gets a late first round pick for their trouble.

Spurs get their guy for Bonner (which they can't do with HOU straight up because of the 1M dollars Bonner is owed).

HOU gets all the cap space from moving Thomas Robinson and perhaps a protected future 1st or 2nd round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe there is 1mill dollar guarantee meaning that is the buyout for Bonner. Houston could pay Bonner 1mil before a preset date, October or something and completely clear him off their books.
    No. It's not a buyout. The NBA doesn't work that way. This isn't baseball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A three team trade in this scenario is not that difficult. If Spurs are really high on T-Rob and HOU is willing to do it just to clear cap space, you can see something like:

Team With Cap Space Gets: Bonner + 28th Pick
    Houston Gets: Future Draft pick
    SAS Gets: Thomas Robinson

Cap space team essentially eats Bonner's 1M (could even give them cash to pay that) + plus gets a late first round pick for their trouble.

Spurs get their guy for Bonner (which they can't do with HOU straight up because of the 1M dollars Bonner is owed).

HOU gets all the cap space from moving Thomas Robinson and perhaps a protected future 1st or 2nd round pick.
    It's even simpler than that.

Team with cap space (Cleveland for example) gets Bonner, a million in cash and the rights to some player or a second-rounder.
    Houston gets the 28th pick
    The Spurs get Robinson (and something useless from Cleveland to make the trade work by league rules)

Since Cleveland is so far below the cap, the only thing they really have to worry about his Bonner's guaranteed money. If the Spurs give them the money, then it's a net-neutral trade for them. The Spurs could even just give more than a million to Cleveland, essentially using cash to buy some cap space.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like to get him, but don't want to have to give up a draft pick tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do we want another Dejaun Blair? Am I missing something here? At least Dejuan knows how to pass and has some nifty moves around the basket. Robinson is a raw, undersized head case.

Nobody wants him for good reason. Already 1 team has traded him and another is trying to. There's a reason people. The Spurs won't end up biting on this one. Unless they get him practically for free. Which wont happen because he was such a high draft pick just a year ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Team with cap space (Cleveland for example) gets Bonner, a million in cash and the rights to some player or a second-rounder.
    The Spurs get Robinson (and something useless from Cleveland to make the trade work by league rules)

Since Cleveland is so far below the cap, the only thing they really have to worry about his Bonner's guaranteed money. If the Spurs give them the money, then it's a net-neutral trade for them. The Spurs could even just give more than a million to Cleveland, essentially using cash to buy some cap space.
    i think houston would prefer a future pick since getting the 28th pick would create a small (but everything matters) cap hold, which they would presumably try to avoid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That works too. Just wanted to show it was not a complicated deal to that poster throwing the PC . But I think CLE, in order to help two teams out would probably want the best pick, but who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think houston would prefer a future pick since getting the 28th pick would create a small (but everything matters) cap hold, which they would presumably try to avoid
    Nah - they could just draft and stash someone and not take the hit.

Thread Information